Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I am shocked that the alt-win card is difficult to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

It's better than mill

WhalerWren
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

The flavor text on Fall of the Titans reads, "Chandra incinerated the bound Eldrazi titans." Unless the Eldrazi have developed a recent immunity to immolation, I think this is it. The good guys win!

I wish I could get paid to write like this.

deftest
May 7, 2011

Snacksmaniac posted:

Will this card ever trigger ever?

Of course, right after they spoil new gifts:

Search for 3, opponent puts one in your hand, one in the graveyard, and one in exile

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Wizards should honestly hire me to write articles about extremely stupid corner case uses of unplayable cards.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Snacksmaniac posted:

Will this card ever trigger ever?

It triggers every upkeep actually, I think.

Gather the pack works pretty well at both dumping this and finding a tasigur/denmama/grovewarden to work with it. It's kind of slow but hey, self milling is realistically the only way it's gonna work.

Also in legacy you can intuition for 3 copies, infernal tutor for the last one, play one, delve one away.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 5, 2016

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

the flavor text on this is so bad it wraps around to good

Im still laughing at the flavor text

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

suicidesteve posted:

This is presumably meant to be the same battle from each of the superfriends's perspective. I'm assuming there will be a white and blue one from a slightly different angle too.

Except it isn't from their perspective unless the Titans are literally two dimensional sprites from a fifteen year old rpg so they look the same from any angle. I thought it'd be a mural, but Nissa is covering up Kozi's arm in her card, and that arm is clear in Chandra's. It just seems lazy and uninspired not to shift the titan's a little to change the perspective. Look at how far away Gideon is - if the titan's aren't redrawn for his card then it's going to look very weird next to Jace's.

Nibble posted:

I doubt it - in the art and flavor text, Bonds has Jace and Nissa, Fall has Gideon and Chandra. They might have similar cards to better represent Jace's and Gideon's contributions elsewhere, but I don't see them having even more cards depicting the exact same scene.

There's definitely no excuse for not doing a redraw if it's just two cards and not a full four.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
does Hedron Alignment's trigger work if you have a Hedron Alignment exiled face down by that 6/6 eldrazi guy?

e: Inverter of Truth

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think Hedron Alignment could actually be a semi-OK deck while Khans is still legal. Being able to scry any number of times at instant speed is kindof useful for a control deck, and once you've got the game locked down you can assemble the actual combo at your own leisure.

e: like isn't it actually a fairly decent manasink, with the bonus of also being your win condition?

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 5, 2016

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

rabidsquid posted:

It's better than mill

Archive Trap baby.

Zoness posted:

It triggers every upkeep actually, I think.

Enough out of you.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Wonder if there's anything worthwhile can be done with thopter spy network and stoneforge masterwork. Probably throw in ghostfire blade as well.

Edit: and hangarback of course

Wurzag fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 5, 2016

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I always hate when they print these cards, they are new player poison and a ton of kids are just going to loose 1000 games and have zero fun trying to make this garbage work.

Meanwhile it'll show up as a 1-of for Control mirrors or something.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Wurzag posted:

Wonder if there's anything worthwhile can be done with thopter spy network and stoneforge masterwork. Probably throw in ghostfire blade as well.

I think Spy Network is just too slow and the decks that play alot of artifacts are just pushing out big Eldrazi with Hedron Archive.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

So is this card designed because someone wants to kill Bogles as a Modern deck?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

GoutPatrol posted:

So is this card designed because someone wants to kill Bogles as a Modern deck?

Ehh, Boggles isn't enough of a deck to waste a spot in the 75 with this though.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Hellsau posted:

There's definitely no excuse for not doing a redraw if it's just two cards and not a full four.

It's because WOTC is a Scrooge McDuck company who nickel and dime at every turn, and sales keep going up even when they resort to webcomic-levels of laziness.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

mcmagic posted:

Ehh, Boggles isn't enough of a deck to waste a spot in the 75 with this though.

For a local meta, it will be enough of a reason. Modern days are the same 5-10 people here, and if I keep beating face with my deck then someone will shove it in their SBs

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Snacksmaniac posted:

Archive Trap baby.

This guy gets it.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

For a local meta, it will be enough of a reason. Modern days are the same 5-10 people here, and if I keep beating face with my deck then someone will shove it in their SBs

I mean, if your fighting Bogles, at the two mana slot you have access to Spellskite in any color. Not only that you could side in anything from ensnaring bridge to counterspells to screw with bogles. Cards that just remove hexproof are almost never worth it, and even with the draw a card function I still think it is a poor card. Sideboard slots in modern are to valuable to waste on a card if it doesnt A) completely hose a deck or B) improve your matchup against multiple decks, and honestly I dont see this card doing either.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Given that Bogles plays 7-8 umbras I think bonds doesn't really do enough in that matchup anyway.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

It's really easy to beat Bogles with Ensaring Bridge and One with Nothing.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

I'm the crushing realization that at some point this was 1 or U to scry and they decided it was too powerful :negative:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Awwww, dem sweet Eater of the Dead bucks be rackin' up. :getin:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

UberJew posted:

I'm the crushing realization that at some point this was 1 or U to scry and they decided it was too powerful :negative:

I just wish the mana cost to cast it was a bit less. The Win-con is comical, but being able to just scry whenever, even if it costs 1U, might actually be good in certain matchups. Like I could see control decks in Standard running one of these in the sideboard for the mirror if those decks turn out to be slow enough.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

JerryLee posted:

sperm are like mind's desire flips: if you can generate enough of them, at least one of them will probably give you what you need

consequently, playing storm is like masturbating

also Chandra's enchantment sucks rear end

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think it's more of an EDH thing. Running a 2 mana cycler isn't a huge cost there, and it helps you deal with random Uril's and Ulamogs and what have you.

UberJew posted:

I don't think it was ever that. Even as it is I don't think there's any other permanent that can scry multiple times per turn this efficiently (the only competition it really has is "loving" Prism Array). It's at least interesting.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

Not if you use a Time Vault to never take a turn again

This is the key interaction of my Vintage 61 turn mill deck

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

Awwww, dem sweet Eater of the Dead bucks be rackin' up. :getin:

What the hell? Are the chucklefucks from #mtgfinance just buying up completely random rear end cards now? I mean, who is searching for an Eater of the Dead to complete their collection? It is nonsensical.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Madmarker posted:

What the hell? Are the chucklefucks from #mtgfinance just buying up completely random rear end cards now? I mean, who is searching for an Eater of the Dead to complete their collection? It is nonsensical.

This feels less like #mtgfinance and more like someone decided "I will be the guy with ALL OF THE EATERS OF THE DEAD". Like, a binder just full of them.

I can respect that goal.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

The Inverter is a cool card that I like.

Chandra's Oath makes me angry because that's apparently what red gets for burn at rare now. A Lightning Strike at sorcery speed that only hits creatures. Nice.

That's quite the fireball, though.

That's a cool rear end alternate wincon too.

The Lord of Hats posted:

This feels less like #mtgfinance and more like someone decided "I will be the guy with ALL OF THE EATERS OF THE DEAD". Like, a binder just full of them.

I can respect that goal.

I mean if I felt the need to be incredibly wasteful I'd buy out all the Knight Exemplars.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If it's from a 93/94 set that's almost certainly the reason. Heck, I think I found the source of the Field of Dreams spike:
http://www.eternalcentral.com/old-school-magic-93-94-playing-millstone-dreams-control/

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Does Legacy UR Delver want Stormchaser Mage? it might...

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Just couldn't be legendary, could it?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

odiv posted:

Just couldn't be legendary, could it?

It should've been legendary with the Relentless Rats/Shadowborn Apostle clause on it.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Madmarker posted:

Someone is speculating on something that can repeatedly exile for free to enable infinite processor combo?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mcmagic posted:

I'm buying foils just to be safe.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Devor posted:

Someone is speculating on something that can repeatedly exile for free to enable infinite processor combo?

You could just cast Rest in Peace

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

mcmagic posted:

It can't replace swiftspear and I don't think it's better than snapcaster or young peezy in the '2cmc that really wants you to have a third mana available to cast a spell immediately' slot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

UberJew posted:

It can't replace Swiftspear and I don't think it's better than snapcaster or young peezy in the '2cmc that really wants you to have a third mana available to cast a spell immediately' slot

Yeah i was gonna agree it kind of just competes for the 2cmc spot.

• Locked thread