Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Huh, I had thought that Popehat was a SovCit, but that was fairly straightforward and even-handed. Maybe I was thinking of someone else. Thanks for the link!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Jewel Repetition posted:

But why are they buying even more? Is it just about wildlife conservation?

What makes you think they're buying more? Areas like the Steens Mountain Cooperative Management and Protection Area (which some of the fires were set in) were just carved out of existing federal property rather than acquired.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Jewel Repetition posted:

But why are they buying even more? Is it just about wildlife conservation?

The agencies you generally see "wanting" to expand are the Parks service and FWS, because they're trying to conserve beautiful landscapes or critical habitat, so yes. No one wants more shrub desert.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

ansel autisms posted:

What makes you think they're buying more? Areas like the Steens Mountain Cooperative Management and Protection Area (which some of the fires were set in) were just carved out of existing federal property rather than acquired.

I heard some of the yeehawdists felt like federal agencies were bullying to try to get them to sell their land.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

They're mad that their grazing rights were revoked on public land and seem to think that historical use of that public land gives them right to continue to use it.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Jewel Repetition posted:

I heard some of the yeehawdists felt like federal agencies were bullying to try to get them to sell their land.

You should probably take anything they say with a grain of salt.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Xandu posted:

Yeah there's a weird trend that causes them to flip out about obscure organizations. I was just on some militia site yesterday raging against the US Forest Service. Like, what?

I dunno. Some people are just plain old nuts for animals. PETA and Sea Shepherd are two examples.
When I used to be involved with Civil War reenacting my step mother got pissed and raved on about how we had a memorial service for those lost at Gettysburg but we didn't remember or mention the beautiful unicorn snowflake horses. The only response I could think of was why doesn't she remember the majestic pack mules which just sent her off enough that my dad took her home

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jewel Repetition posted:

So one thing I haven't heard an explanation for, why does the U.S. gov own so much land in western states?

a lot of the land out there is really crappy and it's better for the government to own it and keep it in just a default undeveloped state than to sell it to some yahoo so he can build the world's largest tire fire or whatever

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

ansel autisms posted:

They're mad that their grazing rights were revoked on public land and seem to think that historical use of that public land gives them right to continue to use it.

Well that was specifically Bundy Sr's grievance, I'm talking about something else.

As a Millennial I posted:

You should probably take anything they say with a grain of salt.

Well I'm doubting the bullying part but it seemed weird for them to make up the government's desire to buy their land.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Jewel Repetition posted:

Well that was specifically Bundy Sr's grievance, I'm talking about something else.

It was also a Hammond grievance when the USDFW wanted to erect a fence to prevent his cows from entering refuge land. Bundy was mad about endangered tortoises.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

How long until Trump flies out to visit with these yokels?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

FCKGW posted:

After Obama's half-hearted gun control? It's gonna happen, and Trump will argue the president is no longer legally legitimate.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Who What Now posted:

So according to this they were initially sentenced to less than five years, and then the appellate court sentenced them to more, correct? So it isn't actually a case of double-jeopardy.

Yeah they weren't actually resentenced. A mistake made during their sentencing was fixed. And by "mistake" I mean "local judge let off local shitheads easy because gently caress you, feds."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Jewel Repetition posted:

Well I'm doubting the bullying part but it seemed weird for them to make up the government's desire to buy their land.

It's just rural small-town "The government wants to take our land!" paranoia that's literally centuries old in the US. The BLM does not want their land. The BLM wants them to stop illegally using (and burning) the BLM's land.

The only cases you get where the BLM is trying to acquire more land, which is not the case here, is where the government is trying to acquire and preserve critical habitat for endangered wildlife.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Cythereal posted:

It's just rural small-town "The government wants to take our land!" paranoia that's literally centuries old in the US. The BLM does not want their land. The BLM wants them to stop illegally using (and burning) the BLM's land.

They believe BLM land is their land.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Yokel Haram.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

See this public land should be for The People. And by The People I mean me and my family and gently caress everyone else if they don't want us treating it poorly.

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
You don't seem to want to accept the fact you're dealing with experts in militia warfare, with men who are the best, with guns, with steak knives, with sandpaper. Men who have been trained to ignore criticism, ignore common sense, to live off the goodwill of others, to eat things that would make a pro-gamer puke. In Oregon their job is to dispose of enemy deer. To kill! Period! Win by attrition.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Jewel Repetition posted:

So one thing I haven't heard an explanation for, why does the U.S. gov own so much land in western states? And why are they seeking more?

Because the federal government owned at all (give or take some homesteaders and indian reservations) prior to statehood, and it was not all gifted to the states upon admission to the union. Quite the opposite, what land the federal government retained, and what land was given to the state was spelled out in the statehood legislation in each case.

Why does the federal government continue to hold a lot of land? Because a lot of it is environmentally valuable and worth preserving. National park system units and national wildlife refuges are, more or less by definition, areas of significant natural or cultural value and we as a nation have decided that we would rather not bulldoze over and log every single last acre of land. In the case of national forests and BLM units, the natural and cultural values are not always as high as the NPS or USFWS lands, however, they are also generally managed in a far more extractive manner. For instance, there are timber sales and associated logging in many (most?) national forests, and mining / petroleum extraction on a lot of BLM land.

States are not capable of administering these lands on their own. In a good fiscal situation they have skeleton staffs in the state units, and as soon as budgets tank state parks are among the first entities on the chopping block.

Contrary to the narrative the Bundys are pushing, the federal government is not excluding the public from these lands. Certainly, they exclude people from converting public lands to their exclusive personal economic use. That is really what the Bundys want. They want it to be theirs, not yours, and they want it for free, because ARE POCKET CONSTITUTION says so. But do you like to camp? Hunt? Fish? Do basically anything outdoors? Federal public lands are there for you. Compare that to the eastern U.S. where if you want to go hunting you often have to pay a private land owner to use their land. That sure doesn't sound like land that is free and available to me. Gov. Jay Hammond of Alaska said it best: federal public lands are locked open, not locked up.

We are one of the few nations in the world that has taken the opportunity to preserve ecosystems intact, at least in the west. That is a good thing.

Why is the federal government trying to acquire more? It basically isn't. There are small scale land purchases to enhance existing units, but the federal government is not really in the business of scooping up large tracts of land at this point.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Who What Now posted:

Huh, I had thought that Popehat was a SovCit, but that was fairly straightforward and even-handed. Maybe I was thinking of someone else. Thanks for the link!

Popehat is extreme right libertarian, but also has extensive legal bonafides. It's the go to for right wing academic law sourcing, and is why the post talks out of both sides of its mouth about the justice of the sentence and the conviction.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

They do have a point.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Because the federal government owned at all (give or take some homesteaders and indian reservations) prior to statehood, and it was not all gifted to the states upon admission to the union. Quite the opposite, what land the federal government retained, and what land was given to the state was spelled out in the statehood legislation in each case.

Why does the federal government continue to hold a lot of land? Because a lot of it is environmentally valuable and worth preserving. National park system units and national wildlife refuges are, more or less by definition, areas of significant natural or cultural value and we as a nation have decided that we would rather not bulldoze over and log every single last acre of land. In the case of national forests and BLM units, the natural and cultural values are not always as high as the NPS or USFWS lands, however, they are also generally managed in a far more extractive manner. For instance, there are timber sales and associated logging in many (most?) national forests, and mining / petroleum extraction on a lot of BLM land.

States are not capable of administering these lands on their own. In a good fiscal situation they have skeleton staffs in the state units, and as soon as budgets tank state parks are among the first entities on the chopping block.

Contrary to the narrative the Bundys are pushing, the federal government is not excluding the public from these lands. Certainly, they exclude people from converting public lands to their exclusive personal economic use. That is really what the Bundys want. They want it to be theirs, not yours, and they want it for free, because ARE POCKET CONSTITUTION says so. But do you like to camp? Hunt? Fish? Do basically anything outdoors? Federal public lands are there for you. Compare that to the eastern U.S. where if you want to go hunting you often have to pay a private land owner to use their land. That sure doesn't sound like land that is free and available to me. Gov. Jay Hammond of Alaska said it best: federal public lands are locked open, not locked up.

We are one of the few nations in the world that has taken the opportunity to preserve ecosystems intact, at least in the west. That is a good thing.

Why is the federal government trying to acquire more? It basically isn't. There are small scale land purchases to enhance existing units, but the federal government is not really in the business of scooping up large tracts of land at this point.

This is a very good breakdown of how Federal vs State land works, thanks.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

LeoMarr posted:

They do have a point.

The midwest is all suitable farmland, which is why I live like 6 hours from the nearest park. The east coast is more densely populated.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Nonsense posted:

Yokel Haram.
Skoal-Shabaab

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

LeoMarr posted:

They do have a point.

The vast majority of that is desert.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

LeoMarr posted:

They do have a point.

Man, look at all that sweet land the feds are sitting on in the lush, verdant paradise that is Nevada.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

The gubmit is keeping me from my right to work the land

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

LeoMarr posted:

They do have a point.

Not really, have you ever actually been to those areas? They are either amazing natural vistas that rednecks are unfit to set foot on, or big rocks.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

There's another big reason most of that land is federally owned: lots of people couldn't successfully homestead it.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Those areas are all beautiful and I've trekked through a few of them, and am far happier letting the Feds own it than some bumblefuck rancher or mining company or whatever.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Oh no the federal government is protecting natural resources :freep:

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Nor is the Hammonds' return to prison unprecedented. If the trial court imposes a short sentence and the appellate court overturns that ruling and requires a longer sentence, that's the result. The alternative would be that trial judges could avoid appellate review of sentences by making them short enough that defendants would be done with them by the time the appellate court could review them. That might be appealing to defense lawyers, defendants, and judges who believe in the primacy of trial court discretion, but it's not the law.

Probably the simplest and best explanation of why sending them back to prison is not somehow unjust.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Kazak_Hstan posted:

For instance, there are timber sales and associated logging in many (most?) national forests

All, actually. National forests are selectively logged and carefully maintained. It's weird that the right is so against environmentalism that they fail to realize that environmentalism is why such things exist in the first place. The whole point of national forests and game lands is so that people who want to log or hunt or whatever can have a way to do so, so long as you follow the rules which are set up specifically so you can keep loving doing it in the long term. All these chucklefucks can think about is "me me me now now now."

Kazak_Hstan posted:

That depends on where you go. I live in PA and we have national and state forests all over the place but then part of that is because our state got to see first hand what these chucklefucks want to do directly causes. Pretty much the entire state was logged clean into a barren wasteland that took decades to unfuck in the 19th century. The forests didn't grow back until people rolled in and planted them. Deer didn't come back until they were rounded up from elsewhere and moved back in. The state is still recovering to this day and let me tell you about all the environmental catastrophe the coal industry left behind.

This is one of the major contests that rural agricultural types are always running into, though; part of the point of the BLM is that land is managed so that it stays useful in the long term. All these guys are thinking about is the short term. They want more land to graze their cattle on so they can have more money. If it hurts anybody else then gently caress 'em, they aren't me. Here in PA we have cow farms that tend to cause issues for people down river and it can be absolutely impossible to convince the cow farmers to quit making GBS threads up the water. Your bog standard right wing redneck twit wants to do whatever the hell he wants without regard to who it might hurt, especially if the harm won't happen for a decade. This is why they hate sustainability and federal land management. They could make money now if they were allowed to graze everything barren so they want to. The barren land won't be their problem; they'll just move somewhere else. It's Tragedy of the Commons stuff but all they see is "the government is keeping me down because I can't graze my cows there! I have a right to because I'm an angry white man with a gun!"

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Anyone catch their 'news conference'?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ansel autisms posted:

Anyone catch their 'news conference'?

The one last night? It lasted about five minutes before they told people to get out.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Who What Now posted:

Multiple writers post articles on Popehat. From what I've seen, they range from "strongly distrusts government, but will acknowledge that society probably needs government of some kind to function" to full-on "abolish all government forever".

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I live in that little lump on the illinois and iowa border and it sucks balls where there's absolutely no federal land. everything. EVERYTHING is corn/soybean fields. if you want to so much as go fishing, you have to have a friend who will let you use their land, or like in my town, there's one little pond that is owned in part by 3 separate people, and it's just sort of generally accepted that they don't care if you use it so long as you don't come up into their yards. the land is completely destroyed. it's an industrial hellscape in its own unique way.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

OregonLive was implying one just happened, a livestream was on their homepage and now it's nothing. Someone sent me a summary of what they heard, was this last night's?

quote:

Ammon Bundy and another occupying rancher just spoke to the media. They claimed that they are here with full support of ranchers and families in Burns and that a lot of Harney County families have been coming to them and bringing food and supplies, thanking them. They still claim to be defending the safety of Burns residents who have been intimidated into silence by the government over losing their land to illegal federal seizure. They say they are not there to harm any local people and that the government are terrorists. In a nutshell. They plan to somehow go through historical real estate transactions and prove that these land sales were not signed off on by the state legislature and therefore illegal. They say they will stay until the locals can be taught to defend their own community and take back their resources and land, that they want the US to have more logging, mining, ranching and farming

They said they hope the Feds won't resort to shutting off power on them because "it'd be a crying shame for the pipes to freeze"

He refused to answer a reporter who asked "if locals are supporting you, why aren't they here?"

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I'm sure the rugged individualists in Harney County want some semi truck goober from Arizona teaching them how to defend themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

ansel autisms posted:

There's another big reason most of that land is federally owned: lots of people couldn't successfully homestead it.

Well, that and we don't want Dust Bowl II when they try to either

• Locked thread