Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Avenging Dentist posted:

There's the Warhammer Fantasy thread. I'm sure they/we would appreciate someone talking about when Warhammer wasn't (as) stupid. Or you can dehumanize yourself and face to the Bad Thread.

No, no, the 40k thread is the Bad thread. The Death thread is just the Death thread. Maybe sometimes the Ugly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Safety Factor posted:

No, no, the 40k thread is the Bad thread. The Death thread is just the Death thread. Maybe sometimes the Ugly.

Well it sure isn't the Good Thread.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Avenging Dentist posted:

Well it sure isn't the Good Thread.
I don't think that exists anymore. If it ever did.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Safety Factor posted:

I don't think that exists anymore. If it ever did.

The Good Thread was probably on Eternity of War. :rip:

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Game needs unilateral host kick so I can boot any idiot who tries to hide in the pig pen.

On the plus side, I just got red-tier Drakefire pistols. Shoot yeah.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

I'm getting ready to run a few rounds on hard, maybe moving up to nightmare with another goon. I'm usually a nightmare+ player, so if anyone wants to learn some stuff and murder rats hop into the steam group

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Umbreon posted:

Man, this is the kind of poo poo I'm talking about. I could read poo poo like this all day, is there like a wiki or an archive I can find to read more warhammer fantasy lore like this?

Lexicanum is like, the Big Warhammer Wiki:

For 40k
For WHFB

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
On Lexicanum you really will be reading that poo poo all day. I should know, I did it a couple of times at terrible jobs.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Coolguye posted:

On Lexicanum you really will be reading that poo poo all day. I should know, I did it a couple of times at terrible jobs.

I've literally been doing that all day and night and I can't stop and gently caress you guys for not warning me in advance. :smith:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Skandranon posted:

Dawn of War involves a number of Exterminatus orders being executed against planets for Chaos corruption.

Yeah but they also had a planet that had like 500 baneblades.

Like all the other canon really plays down exterminatus. Yes it can be done but there are only a finite number of worlds, and you have an army of basically unlimited manpower in the Imperial Guard. Therefore it's better to spend countless billions of lives to re-aquire a planet than to blast it to smithereens unless it's totally unsaveable.

The Inquisition roots out heretics and psyker and chaos cults on a daily basis, if they were trigger happy with exterminatus there would be no Imperium left.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
It drives me nuts when a group never looks behind. I keep getting my poo poo stomped when playing Wizard because I hang back a bit and wind up dealing with packs that spawn behind us. Only instead of coming back to help my parties usually keep running on ahead and tell me to hurry up while I desperately flail at 10+ clan rats and a globadier.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The secret way to keep up with run-ahead groups AND defend your back is to pick up a book. Blocking with a tome has as much stamina as your currently-equipped melee weapon, and doesn't slow your run speed at all. Just make sure you're in the back of your group, holding a book in front of you. You don't even need to be looking behind you, since blocking is 360 degrees.

It's still best to have an actually coordinated group though to be sure.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Or you could learn the maps well enough to run backwards while fighting so you never fall behind :getin:

Seriously though, being in the back is a pretty interesting responsibility. You need to be able to handle the rats coming from behind without coming to a standstill. Good groups don't usually return to help the vanguard because good vanguards don't need help. That said, good groups also turn around occasionally to make sure no one is getting boned. Just don't be that guy who comes to a complete and total stop to fight the rats, or even worse, the guy who fights into the chasing rats, making negative progress.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Sokani posted:

Or you could learn the maps well enough to run backwards while fighting so you never fall behind :getin:

Seriously though, being in the back is a pretty interesting responsibility. You need to be able to handle the rats coming from behind without coming to a standstill. Good groups don't usually return to help the vanguard because good vanguards don't need help. That said, good groups also turn around occasionally to make sure no one is getting boned. Just don't be that guy who comes to a complete and total stop to fight the rats, or even worse, the guy who fights into the chasing rats, making negative progress.

Yeah, this is why the mage is the best vanguard, as she has effectively infinite ammo and can constantly be engaging at range, making it a lot easier to fire at enemies behind, and also quickly engage at the front if poo poo hits the fan.

jingletard
Jan 6, 2016
Anyone else get horrible input lag when they play? I have to play with vsync because I absolutely hate tearing but holy poo poo is the input lag bad in this game. I'm guessing it's an engine problem or something.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I got a witch hunter repeating handgun with +total ammo, +90% penetration chance, and +50% mag size or something absurd. Over 100 rounds in reserve and 12 before reloading.

is it basically an auto-shotgun now? I haven't had a chance to use it yet. I'm really starting to dig the rapier+pistol combo, but I always use a brace of pistols as a secondary. I've never used anything else so I have no idea what's best for the class.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Skandranon posted:

Yeah, this is why the mage is the best vanguard, as she has effectively infinite ammo and can constantly be engaging at range, making it a lot easier to fire at enemies behind, and also quickly engage at the front if poo poo hits the fan.

Also, you can continue to cast your spells (and vent!) while dashing backwards to keep up with the group and kite the rats.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
I can't think of a situation where the repeater would be preferable over the dual pistols. The drat thing can't even reliably kill on headshots and the burst fire is so prone to clipping that it will sometimes miss two or three shots even if fired point blank into an ogre's's back.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Psion posted:

I got a witch hunter repeating handgun with +total ammo, +90% penetration chance, and +50% mag size or something absurd. Over 100 rounds in reserve and 12 before reloading.

is it basically an auto-shotgun now? I haven't had a chance to use it yet. I'm really starting to dig the rapier+pistol combo, but I always use a brace of pistols as a secondary. I've never used anything else so I have no idea what's best for the class.

No, it's still poo poo. Something often overlooked is that the brace of pistols do AP, whereas the repeater pistol does not. This means that pistol shots will at least hurt Stormvermin & other armored things when you hit on the body, whereas your repeater pistol shots will just bounce off harmlessly unless you hit in the head.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
wait it doesn't do any ap? ugh no thanks then

because yeah pistoling Stormvermin in the head (or getting that lucky packmaster shot off or whatever) is half the fun of the brace.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

To be in the vanguard means you are at the forefront, leading the pack. The rear guard (not sure what the word is for it, or if there is one) is what you folks are discussing. :eng101:

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

But Not Tonight posted:

To be in the vanguard means you are at the forefront, leading the pack. The rear guard (not sure what the word is for it, or if there is one) is what you folks are discussing. :eng101:

The word is simply "rearguard": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rearguard

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The problem with trying to back up while rats are chasing you is the rats run much faster than you, and it will make them do their running attacks which tend to hit in really deceptive ways even at a reasonable FOV, while if you're backing up you can't easily hit them with many weapons so the problem isn't about to go away. It's not like they're going to disappear if you just run ahead of your teammates fighting in the back and tell them to hurry up as if they're not busy with anything. So often I see someone run ahead from the rest of the team while they're fighting and say "we need to keep moving you guys" :downs: when they're really being the ones slowing everyone down by leaving instead of helping. I'm pretty sure these people have never tried being the rear guard in the ending of enemy below.

It is not like L4D where you can easily get away with just outpacing the zombies, except in edge cases where you need to get past a one-way drop or someone used a group speed potion. There's something to be said for just trying to move through levels quickly instead of getting items while there isn't a horde, but when there is a horde it's not very reasonable. I don't even want to know what it's like for people who use FOVs like 95+.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 7, 2016

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I'm pretty sure these people have never tried being the rear guard in the ending of enemy below.

I agree with some of what you're saying, but this is a pet peeve of mine. The cave collapses behind you as you escape! The rats get crushed! Just bail!

The big thing about working rear guard is that if you ever get hit you're boned, since getting hit slows you down and being slow gets you hit. Certain ranged weapons like the mage staffs and the grudge raker are good choices, though I wouldn't try to do it with the mage if I didn't have a high enough quality staff to one shot clan rats. My grudge raker has master crafted and the double clip size perk and absolutely wrecks chasing hordes, especially in the cramped tunnels of the enemy below escape sequence. Good melee choices for rear guard are anything with high stamina so you can block, push, and run, but if you don't have a ranged option then you'll eventually get hit unless someone helps you out.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

There's something to be said for just trying to move through levels quickly instead of getting items while there isn't a horde, but when there is a horde it's not very reasonable.

Agreed. If there's a horde and the front people keep going because they don't see any rats, they have hosed you.

quote:

To be in the vanguard means you are at the forefront, leading the pack. The rear guard (not sure what the word is for it, or if there is one) is what you folks are discussing.

I'm dumb.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

The charged shot on Drakefire Pistols is like the beam staff's shotgun blast. Is it similar in that it does no friendly-fire damage?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sokani posted:

I agree with some of what you're saying, but this is a pet peeve of mine. The cave collapses behind you as you escape! The rats get crushed! Just bail!

I'm not talking about killing them all before climbing the ladder, since yeah once you're right there you can just climb up and you're free. But before that point there's usually a near constant stream of rats coming up from behind, and inevitably 2-3 people run ahead like there's nothing going on while the 1-2 who happened to be in the back have to fight them all on their own, and can't easily backpedal while doing that for the reasons I said. Most of the cave does not collapse between the beginning and end so if someone gets hit as you said, there's no choice but to fight.

quote:

The big thing about working rear guard is that if you ever get hit you're boned, since getting hit slows you down and being slow gets you hit. Certain ranged weapons like the mage staffs and the grudge raker are good choices, though I wouldn't try to do it with the mage if I didn't have a high enough quality staff to one shot clan rats. My grudge raker has master crafted and the double clip size perk and absolutely wrecks chasing hordes, especially in the cramped tunnels of the enemy below escape sequence. Good melee choices for rear guard are anything with high stamina so you can block, push, and run, but if you don't have a ranged option then you'll eventually get hit unless someone helps you out.

This is actually a really good argument for the grudge raker and blunderbuss and something I hadn't considered before. Still a tough sell next to the dwarf and sgt's other ranged options though.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

The charged shot on Drakefire Pistols is like the beam staff's shotgun blast. Is it similar in that it does no friendly-fire damage?

Yes it is safe to use. The same goes for the conflagration staff's AOE.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

7/8 Barrels on nightmare Black Powder. Two guys are dead. I have the last barrel on the boat... and I chuck it into the water. We won anyways, and I then rolled a loving 0

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

Nanomashoes posted:

7/8 Barrels on nightmare Black Powder. Two guys are dead. I have the last barrel on the boat... and I chuck it into the water. We won anyways, and I then rolled a loving 0
You put the fear of Sigmar into me with that move, but it resulted in me getting rezzed, so good going?

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
So do people ever use the Goonintide chat, or is there another way of getting a game going with some of you guys? Maybe it's just the EU timezones making it seem completely barren?

Finally got an upgrade to Kruber's exotic blunderbuss, and it's an exotic repeater pistol. Completely unusable on cataclysm, at least the blunderbuss kills most rats in one shot.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Technically the Kruber repeater is a repeater rifle.

OK I'm done nerding out now.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
The bots are really stupid about ledges. I keep running into a problem where someone disconnects and a bot takes their place but we wind up losing the bot because it won't leap down after us when we arrive at a drop

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Big thanks to the group that dragged my dumb rear end through 3 levels, unlocked a billion cheevos and got me some sweet loot tonight. Good way to get introduced to the game

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Tonight we discovered that a goon that has never played a game is still better than a pubbie.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
teamwork > mechanical skill

you can be the greatest noscopin headshotter in the world and you'll still die like a chump when you're off by your lonesome and a packmaster grabs you

Seriously by far the most important "skill" in the game is just having a good attitude about teamwork and listening to your teammates when they call out that you're a little farther away from them than they'd like.

E: Something from the other day, when people were talking about playing rearguard - the person at the back of the group shouldn't be the person looking backwards. They should be staring forward at the person who is third in line, who is the actual rearguard. Basically you want a setup where the person watching everyone's back has someone watching their back and having the last person in line face backwards means no one's watching their back.

Magres fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jan 8, 2016

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Big thanks to the group that dragged my dumb rear end through 3 levels, unlocked a billion cheevos and got me some sweet loot tonight. Good way to get introduced to the game
No problem, I had a lot of fun, and got to finally try out the Witch Hunter after 20 levels of Kruber! Those dual pistols he has :stare:

I'm trying to hang out in the Goonintide group chat and the CTS channel when I'm looking for a game, other folks should join!

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Touched the stove tonight again with a friend (who is a goon).

The whole mission went well but almost despite itself. We did Wizard Tower and the elf decided to perch herself up on the 'sniper's roost' area of the final event. It really drives me crazy when people do that because unless you are really, really good you will never participate as much doing that as you would actually just hacking the rats to pieces. Further, she fell almost immediately and once she got back up there the rats would just swarm her anyway. There was another moment where I swear to god her bow was glued to her hand. We were fighting the roger and once it got around to attacking her she refused to switch to melee and just kept desperately trying to run away while occasionally pausing to attempt a shot to the head while her health melted away.

I get that some people are good with the bow. And I get that the hagbane is p.good (our elf wasn't using one). But I wish people would stop treating the elf like the ranged character because she's honestly a pretty good skirmisher alongside the Witch Hunter. Put the bow away for like a second pubbies. PUT IT AWAY.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Mendrian posted:

The whole mission went well but almost despite itself. We did Wizard Tower and the elf decided to perch herself up on the 'sniper's roost' area of the final event.

That's a pretty good spot to stand at the beginning because there's a nice corner where the rats can't sneak up on you.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Friar John posted:

No problem, I had a lot of fun, and got to finally try out the Witch Hunter after 20 levels of Kruber! Those dual pistols he has :stare:

I'm trying to hang out in the Goonintide group chat and the CTS channel when I'm looking for a game, other folks should join!

Played with you the other day. I may have been a bit intoxicated, but the 4 of us had some pretty good games. Point is, hop in the drat steam group and if no one's around post something in the thread. We had more people than could fit in a group in like ten minutes

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Avenging Dentist posted:

That's a pretty good spot to stand at the beginning because there's a nice corner where the rats can't sneak up on you.

Yeah, I always try to start up there. A lot of people don't realize that the wards you need to defend are invulnerable until the objective changes to "Defend the Wizard's Wards" or whatever. And even then, only one ward needs to survive, there's no penalty to having the others die.

Having a ranged weapon out during a rogre fight is silly though. Do any of the ranged weapons out-damage melee?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Magdumping Saltzpyre's pistols into roger is usually a good plan since he pretty much can't miss such a big target and can put out a lot of hits fast.

• Locked thread