Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
How do I know if this fuckin thing will run on my garbage computer? Can I just download the client and do like a demo to see how well it runs, or do I have to buy it to see? I literally cannot care about video card numbers enough to take even half a second to look it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

SniperWoreConverse posted:

How do I know if this fuckin thing will run on my garbage computer? Can I just download the client and do like a demo to see how well it runs, or do I have to buy it to see? I literally cannot care about video card numbers enough to take even half a second to look it up.

Well you could always buy it on steam, see if it runs on your garbage computer and if it does, yay! If it doesn't, request a refund and you're only out some time.
EDIT
Turns out there is a demo, do that instead.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 6, 2016

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

There's a demo, yes. Download the launcher from the ED website, register an account (free), and you can download the "single player combat training" or whatever it is from the launcher.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
To register an account you apparently need to input a game code? I don't have one so I just put in all 1s, but now I'm thinking it might be a bad idea for some reason.
E: I filled everything else out and I can hit the register button but I'm having second thoughts due to this code thing.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Although I will say I was considering gifting Horizons to a friend so I'm not quite sure how that would work out.

You can gift Horizons to people at the discounted price and it works fine.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

To register an account you apparently need to input a game code? I don't have one so I just put in all 1s, but now I'm thinking it might be a bad idea for some reason.
E: I filled everything else out and I can hit the register button but I'm having second thoughts due to this code thing.

You probably won't get blackballed for putting in a bogus code. I imagine the worst that will happen is they'll try to validate the code, it will come back as a bad match and you'll get an error message.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I have only refunded one game on steam, because it was a hot steaming pile of garbage and I couldn't last 30 minutes with it. Sure I got a card out of it, but that was sold for like $0.05 CDN. Not worth it.

Abusing the refund policy is what can make Steam remove it. I think if a game gives you a code their requirements should be a little more stringent. It would have made a little more sense to not have Horizons and Elite: Dangerous separate products. Something like Horizons bought you the base game and the DLC as Horizons, but you could just buy the DLC for the discounted price which would require the base game in order to buy that one package.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So I take these missions to find salvage and escape pods on the planet surface and I never find a drat thing. Sometimes I find a base with turrets all around it, and I find lots of rocks with materials, but I can never seem to find any actual objective. Does anyone have some advice on how to not continuously fail these missions?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

So, turns out this game has sold a loving boatload.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Royal W posted:

You probably won't get blackballed for putting in a bogus code. I imagine the worst that will happen is they'll try to validate the code, it will come back as a bad match and you'll get an error message.

Yeah this is exactly what ended up happening.

Looks like a fun game, I'm willing to throw in $15 and if I don't like it, gently caress it, and if I do, go the rest of the way to drive a space car.
It'd suck if I threw in even $15 and it was a waste.

IAmTheRad posted:

I have only refunded one game on steam, because it was a hot steaming pile of garbage and I couldn't last 30 minutes with it. Sure I got a card out of it, but that was sold for like $0.05 CDN. Not worth it.

Abusing the refund policy is what can make Steam remove it. I think if a game gives you a code their requirements should be a little more stringent. It would have made a little more sense to not have Horizons and Elite: Dangerous separate products. Something like Horizons bought you the base game and the DLC as Horizons, but you could just buy the DLC for the discounted price which would require the base game in order to buy that one package.

Basically, I agree with this.
Guess I'm gonna have to figure out computers again. Haven't done more than office and old rear end games since like 2005.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

drat Dirty Ape posted:

So I take these missions to find salvage and escape pods on the planet surface and I never find a drat thing. Sometimes I find a base with turrets all around it, and I find lots of rocks with materials, but I can never seem to find any actual objective. Does anyone have some advice on how to not continuously fail these missions?

I finally figured this out but its a little counter intuitive. What you'll want to do is cruise the surface at an altitude greater than 2km, this will allow you to see blue circles on your radar, that represent planetary points of interest. You usually only need to hit one or two of those before you find what you're looking for.

Dont worry if you end up a long way from your ship, you can call it to you with the control panel above your legs. Also if you're on escape pod recovery, always grab every pod at the crash site, you can turn them in for other instances of the same mission.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Davoren posted:

I finally figured this out but its a little counter intuitive. What you'll want to do is cruise the surface at an altitude greater than 2km, this will allow you to see blue circles on your radar, that represent planetary points of interest. You usually only need to hit one or two of those before you find what you're looking for.

Dont worry if you end up a long way from your ship, you can call it to you with the control panel above your legs. Also if you're on escape pod recovery, always grab every pod at the crash site, you can turn them in for other instances of the same mission.

Thanks, I finally found some escape pods. For anyone else who is stuck like I was I took this screenshot with the escape pod site scan (the thick line right in the middle). I think my main issue is I was chasing around incorrect scans too often.

edit: You can't see the pods in this picture, but they are just over the hill in front of me.

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 6, 2016

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
In Xihe a Fed in a Vulture interdicted me (totally clean record, empty hold). He says something like "hold still and this will be over quickly" and I think *attack* so I spun around and dropkick him into the sun. Then notice I have a 6000 cr bounty.

Easiest way is to just get in a Sidewinder and hang around outside no fire zone until someone gets me, right?

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 6, 2016

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

I hate looking for ship parts. The little annoying things in this game are killing me.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Adult Sword Owner posted:

In Xihe a Fed in a Vulture interdicted me (totally clean record, empty hold). He says something like "hold still and this will be over quickly" and I think *attack* so I spun around and dropkick him into the sun. Then notice I have a 6000 cr bounty.

Easiest way is to just get in a Sidewinder and hang around outside no fire zone until someone gets me, right?

Easiest maybe. The proper way is :killdozer:

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Atheistdeals.com posted:

I hate looking for ship parts. The little annoying things in this game are killing me.

Just get Elite ranking so you can go to Founders' World :smug::hf::smuggo::hf::smugdog:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Groggy nard posted:

Just get Elite ranking so you can go to Founders' World :smug::hf::smuggo::hf::smugdog:

:smug::hf::smuggo::hf::smugdog::hf::fella:

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

things are happening

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

magic mountain posted:

things are happening

What is this

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Amethyst posted:

What is this

Got this mixed up with the PGS thread, nevermind.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Did some donation grinding to get my fed rank up for the FAS (when I can eventually buy it, I'm poor as gently caress). A side effect of this is that I got a Sol permit so I decided to go check it out. Did a quick tour and took some pictures

Flyby of Venus

Tried to recreate Earthrise. Can the 3rd person cam zoom?

Earth has some bigass ship chilling near it. It told me to :getout:

I guess they terraformed Mars, and did it right this time!

Jupiter's red spot

I attempted a landing there but some monolith yelled at me I dont have horizons

Obligatory Saturn ring shot

I love the haze effect Titan (and Venus) have near the poles

Triton and Neptune. Guess were not far enough in the future for it to have fallen into Neptune yet.

I skipped Mercury as it,s just a brown rock, Uranus because it was on the other side of the sun, and Pluto because its not a real planet. Also kinda sad there no Ceras, Eris, Sedna, etc

Kuvo fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jan 6, 2016

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I'm close to getting my Sol permit, and even though it's just space tourism I can't wait to go take some pretty pretty pictures. Gonna go for a drive on the moon and all that!

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Davoren posted:

Gonna go for a drive on the moon and all that!

No you're not. ;)

No landing on the moon right now.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

LCL-Dead posted:

No you're not. ;)

Wait what? Isn't the moon a rocky body without atmosphere?

Or it's some magic "permit" bullshit where they won't let you go to some places because someday, maybe in another couple years there might be Thargoids there? :v:

(yes I'm salty that after more than 1 year we still have no Thargoids, why do you ask?)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jan 6, 2016

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

LCL-Dead posted:

No you're not. ;)

Thanks Obama.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

TorakFade posted:

Wait what? Isn't the moon a rocky body without atmosphere?

Or it's some magic "permit" bullshit where they won't let you go to some places because someday, maybe in another couple years there might be Thargoids there? :v:

(yes I'm salty that after more than 1 year we still have no Thargoids, why do you ask?)

Davoren posted:

Thanks Obama.

IIRC it's because the moon is going to be a hand crafted location vice a generated body like the rest of the rocky airless types out there. Because of that, it's simply just not ready.

I too am salty over the lack of Thargoids.

I also believe that a lot of planets in SOL will be permit locked for the duration of the game. As in forever locked behind an unobtainable permit.

LCL-Dead fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jan 6, 2016

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Earth and terraformed Mars I guessed would never be open for landing, it would be too much work to model what's here now, never mind the Earth of the future, I figured maybe the space rocks would have something though. Is there anywhere you can land in Sol?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Davoren posted:

Earth and terraformed Mars I guessed would never be open for landing, it would be too much work to model what's here now, never mind the Earth of the future, I figured maybe the space rocks would have something though. Is there anywhere you can land in Sol?
You can land on Europa.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

LCL-Dead posted:

IIRC it's because the moon is going to be a hand crafted location vice a generated body like the rest of the rocky airless types out there. Because of that, it's simply just not ready.

Just like the rest of the game amirite? :v:

Seriously though, they always seem to rush baseline stuff out just to say "hey look new system" and then take FOREVER to implement and expand on things that would actually be great to have in game right now (hand crafted places, Thargoids, weapon variants, a Powerplay that doesn't suck, more ships that aren't sidegrades of existing ones, more equipment for ships)

It took them how long to get shield boosters and hull reinforcements out? Like 6 months from release? I can't imagine those would be THAT hard to code in... And now we'll be waiting 6 more months to get a 2nd model of SRV or any upgrade to the rather barebones crafting system (good thing but it takes annoyingly long to scrounge up enough for anything besides the basic refuel/reammo), I bet.

I have the impression that their efforts are way too focused on broadening the game even more, while I wish they would just stop that and get to work on what's already in game and make it better.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Player repping ingame factions via a displayed tag should be a big priority too :(

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Dandywalken posted:

Player repping ingame factions via a displayed tag should be a big priority too :(

Is Braben decide to do a 180 on player factions?

I see Diamond Frogs in the news feeds so maybe they are starting to realize that emergent player activity is the lifeblood of games like this.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Oh I've no idea. I just want a drat guild tag equivalent, even if just an aesthetic.

Throne of Bhalz
Dec 11, 2003

I enjoy playing this game more on a PS4 controller than I do with my Logitech 3D Extreme Pro + KBM. I am literally hitler.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

LCL-Dead posted:

I too am salty over the lack of Thargoids.

I also believe that a lot of planets in SOL will be permit locked for the duration of the game. As in forever locked behind an unobtainable permit.

Also I imagine by 33-whatever, the moon is probably a badass orbital shipyard city. Or at least part of it. I mean, these people managed to terraform Mars

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

I wish this game explained its mechanics better, I wanted to be a bounty hunter so I was going around in supercruse looking for people to interdict and maybe making 25k - 50k a session. Then I learned about RES areas from this thread (I thought they were for mining so I avoided them) and in less than an hour today

:getin:

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Bedshaped posted:

Is Braben decide to do a 180 on player factions?

I see Diamond Frogs in the news feeds so maybe they are starting to realize that emergent player activity is the lifeblood of games like this.

I've been meaning to ask about that, I thought player factions weren't a thing but I then went over to Svortsov and there's the Diamond Frogs name on the station and missions inside. Can you make player factions after all?

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Davoren posted:

I've been meaning to ask about that, I thought player factions weren't a thing but I then went over to Svortsov and there's the Diamond Frogs name on the station and missions inside. Can you make player factions after all?

You can put down a petition of sorts on the ED forums to have a player named faction inserted into the game in a system of your choosing (if the system has room, I would imagine) and go from there. That's how the Diamond Frogs NPC faction came into existence and we (PGS) are simply working to expand their influence.

:frontear: however, have been relatively silent as to whether or not support for in-game player factions will expand beyond that.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Humboldt Squid posted:

I wish this game explained its mechanics better, I wanted to be a bounty hunter so I was going around in supercruse looking for people to interdict and maybe making 25k - 50k a session. Then I learned about RES areas from this thread (I thought they were for mining so I avoided them) and in less than an hour today

Goddamn, can't say I ever made that much an hour in a RES.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Humboldt Squid posted:

Is that a High Intensity RES and what ship were you in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Strategic Tea posted:

Also I imagine by 33-whatever, the moon is probably a badass orbital shipyard city. Or at least part of it. I mean, these people managed to terraform Mars

This is my impression as well. You know how we have these single city port things on airless worlds all over the place right now? The handcrafted part of the moon is probably massive cities considering its right next to Earth. Probably full of historic districts and poo poo too.

• Locked thread