Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
Long term exposure to the OT has heightened our familiarity with ANHs cantina aliens plus anyone who played the star wars ccg is even more intimately familiar because they were common as muck and everyone had millions of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Waffles Inc. posted:

for fucks sake, the medical droid who helps luke in ESB is more interesting insofar as he makes a larger impression

By the way, can a wookiepedia editor confirm for me real quick that this is the guy who calls Leia when Finn et al walk into the Kaz cantina?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I loved the mosquito aliens.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
I liked the cool slowdroid walking out of Maz's bar.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Yeah, these are pretty bad. Bald humanoids with odd-coloured skin and either a big forehead or a big jaw. Or both.

~*-practical effects!-*~

Soggy Cereal
Jan 8, 2011

I was actually super psyched when they get to Maz's castle and you see all the cool aliens. That picture you guys are using is just a fraction of the ones onscreen. My favorite is probably the trio of bug guys drinking with proboscises, and the sentai guy Finn is to leave with. No, it probably doesn't "say" anything, other than "this is a weird, diverse place." Which is probably why there aren't lingering camera shots on the ~practical effects~ - they're just incidental, being used to tell a story.

No one has addressed that Jakku is full of creativity. For being a place of scavengers, there's not a single jawa or tusken. They anticipated the lazy criticism that it's Tatooine and made stuff like this, a fully cybernetic beast of burden.

Ben Quadranaros is a really poor example to pick as an interesting alien. It's interesting how insanely out of place he looks and how goofy he is, and how much of a waste of time it is to show him stalling in the race.

From my point of view the prequels are evil.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Cnut the Great posted:

Strangely enough, even the OT had better practical aliens than this. Even the prequels had better practical aliens than this. I can only conclude that the atmosphere in TFA's design department must have been intrinsically creatively stifling. That's usually what happens when you place arbitrary limits on creative peoples' imaginations.
Based on the snippits of early concept art that appeared in the various "Art of Star Wars: <insert movie here>" books, my guess is that most of the on-screen aliens in TFA are "first drafts".

It appears to me that the artists weren't pushed enough.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Kulkasha posted:

I liked the cool slowdroid walking out of Maz's bar.

Is that the same slowbot that informed the Resistance? Cause that thing was cool as poo poo.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Soggy Cereal posted:

No, it probably doesn't "say" anything, other than "this is a weird, diverse place." Which is probably why there aren't lingering camera shots on the ~practical effects~ - they're just incidental, being used to tell a story.

What is it, you think, that makes the ANH cantina a more interesting place? Are we, as the audience, meant to be more "welcomed" to Maz's bar as opposed to the cantina? Are the aliens at Maz's meant to be less foreign to Finn and Rey?

You say that Maz's aliens not meant to say anything are are just being used to tell a story, so what is that story they're being used to tell?

The creatures in the prequels and OT tell us about a place, what is it that the big fat alien with the woman tell us? For example, do they tell us that Maz's place is a wretched hive of scum and villainy? If so, why should we trust its proprietor?

Sense and Motion
Jan 9, 2011

Laughter, I said, is madness.
The 50s diner owns. It’s a key piece of Obi Wan’s nostalgic “more civilized age”, the 50s, when men where men and everyone knew their place. Much like the 50s to many old white men these ways, who feel like that was the ideal Republic USA and can’t see past their own noses. The Republic is the Empire, after all.

Sense and Motion fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jan 6, 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I thought Walrus man and his femme fatale first order spy probably pulling his strings were really cool looking.

Soggy Cereal
Jan 8, 2011

The ANH cantina seems more interesting because of the place it occupies in the story. It's Luke's first introduction to the wider world that he knows nothing about, a world that is dark, violent, and scary. The ugly guy who confronts him is a Threshold Guardian in the Hero's Journey model.

This part in the story, for Rey and Finn, is taken up by the Rathtars (shoggoths.) I know you guys don't like them either, but there you go.

Maz's castle is equally interesting to me because it is a deliberate reversal of the cantina. It's a Meeting with the Goddess scenario, where a seemingly immortal woman gives divine boons and weapons in preparation for what's ahead. The only scary thing that Finn and Rey face in this cantina is themselves.

Han wants his pupils to believe that it's a dangerous place, and he warns them not to stare at anything - he's pining for when he stayed at "real" cantinas, which were dangerous and creepy affairs. But really he's speaking in willful ignorance - he's ignoring that the Rebel Alliance changed anything for the galaxy, and made it a brighter, happier place. Which is also why this is when Maz tries to recruit him to helping Leia fight the dark side. He's living for his younger days when he didn't have to worry about anything but Jabba. Jabba is gone, though, replaced thematically by Maz.

Like SMG says, this movie starts from the position at the end of Empire Strikes Back, not Return of the Jedi. But I think this comes from the characters' behavior, not an attempt to retcon or ignore what happened.

edit: Just thought of another cool thing that goes along with this - Han is hauling Rathtars to sell to a king. As we know from Jabba, rulers like to have crazy man-eating pets. Han misses Jabba. It's "the only thing [he's] good at."

As for the specifics of costume design for the aliens, I don't think it means anything other than worldbuilding (my immersion!). In ANH the costumers weren't really given any specific direction, and were told to just make aliens. IIRC they were all put together very quickly. Of course George Lucas selected some and declined others, but it's not like he had a whole lot to work with.

Soggy Cereal fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jan 6, 2016

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
I still don't understand this premise that the new film picks up where ESB left off, thematically or whatever. Obviously the events of RotJ still happened. So nothing changed. Isn't it telling that the victory at the end of it was ultimately a hollow one?

Soggy Cereal
Jan 8, 2011

corn in the fridge posted:

I still don't understand this premise that the new film picks up where ESB left off, thematically or whatever. Obviously the events of RotJ still happened. So nothing changed. Isn't it telling that the victory at the end of it was ultimately a hollow one?

The idea is that ESB ends with everyone going their separate ways, somewhat defeated, ready to bring back Han Solo and fight the Empire again.
ROTJ ends with everyone together, celebrating with literal teddy bears, the Empire defeated.
TFA starts with the Empire in full swing, everyone separated out, somewhat defeated by Kylo Ren's actions, bringing back Han Solo and fighting the Empire again.

I think I read somewhere that this is where Ren's character came from in the early stages of writing - a reason why everyone had separated.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Soggy Cereal posted:

The ANH cantina seems more interesting because of the place it occupies in the story. It's Luke's first introduction to the wider world that he knows nothing about, a world that is dark, violent, and scary. The ugly guy who confronts him is a Threshold Guardian in the Hero's Journey model.

This part in the story, for Rey and Finn, is taken up by the Rathtars (shoggoths.) I know you guys don't like them either, but there you go.

Maz's castle is equally interesting to me because it is a deliberate reversal of the cantina. It's a Meeting with the Goddess scenario, where a seemingly immortal woman gives divine boons and weapons in preparation for what's ahead. The only scary thing that Finn and Rey face in this cantina is themselves.

Han wants his pupils to believe that it's a dangerous place, and he warns them not to stare at anything - he's pining for when he stayed at "real" cantinas, which were dangerous and creepy affairs. But really he's speaking in willful ignorance - he's ignoring that the Rebel Alliance changed anything for the galaxy, and made it a brighter, happier place. Which is also why this is when Maz tries to recruit him to helping Leia fight the dark side. He's living for his younger days when he didn't have to worry about anything but Jabba. Jabba is gone, though, replaced thematically by Maz.

Like SMG says, this movie starts from the position at the end of Empire Strikes Back, not Return of the Jedi. But I think this comes from the characters' behavior, not an attempt to retcon or ignore what happened.

edit: Just thought of another cool thing that goes along with this - Han is hauling Rathtars to sell to a king. As we know from Jabba, rulers like to have crazy man-eating pets. Han misses Jabba. It's "the only thing [he's] good at."

As for the specifics of costume design for the aliens, I don't think it means anything other than worldbuilding (my immersion!). In ANH the costumers weren't really given any specific direction, and were told to just make aliens. IIRC they were all put together very quickly. Of course George Lucas selected some and declined others, but it's not like he had a whole lot to work with.

Some good stuff here--good point about Han

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The alien designs in TFA - and we are talking about design here, not just "I liek it" - are weak because they do not evoke concepts.
Dude then just enact the labor to write some sophistry about a TFA alien. Refusing to do so says more about your priorities than it does about TFA.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Some of the aliens were really good and cool. I like the thing which is trying to get BB-8 nearish the start and it's riding something which looks like it's from the Dark Crystal.

Bar scene did suck and managed to be bland/pointless but the red robot outside was cool too.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Jerkface posted:

Throwbacks, references, of course. Is anything as blatant as a literal 50s diner waitress robot that even talks like a 50s diner waitress? In the OT? God that loving diner just gets my goat every time. I honestly dont think theres anything like it in the OT, but I am sure some enterprising PT defender will bring something up (which is ok, I enjoy all the debates!)

It's an explicit reference to American Graffiti, a film very closely linked to Star Wars. Lucas is quoting American Graffiti. The integrity of the Star Wars "universe" doesn't need to be defended, it isn't real.

corn in the fridge posted:

I always thought the 50s diner scene was more of a character moment for Obi-wan, as in he probably frequents these places often and he really enjoys it, possibly some sort of pretentious prince among the peasants thing. The likeness of the diner to that of an earth diner was irrelevant to the scene but added a bit of extra charm imo
Right, and sort-of. It's directly comparing Obi-Wan to Richard Dreyfuss's character.

Danger fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jan 6, 2016

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Cnut the Great posted:

Also:

[ stuff ]

What actually happened is that the filmmakers came up with ideas that happened to interest them, and then did their best to get those ideas onto the screen using whatever method made the most sense. The main benefit of CGI being an option is that the PT filmmakers weren't limited in their imaginations--which is a good thing. Imagination is actually good. (A controversial stance in this day and age, I know.)

TFA's filmmakers', on the other hand, clearly were quite limited in their imaginations, most likely due to their choice to base most of their design decisions around whether or not something could be achieved using practical effects. And it shows, because TFA is a very visually unimaginative movie. This is just sad:

Strangely enough, even the OT had better practical aliens than this. Even the prequels had better practical aliens than this. I can only conclude that the atmosphere in TFA's design department must have been intrinsically creatively stifling. That's usually what happens when you place arbitrary limits on creative peoples' imaginations.

Huh, that's pretty neat - I wasn't aware of the models used.

But it's still drowned in CGI effects - whether it's traffic, ocean waves, or six-armed frog convicts running a diner.

My main issue with the list of gripes from the PT is that they're jarringly out of place - they look like props and movie sets, as opposed to being part of the film. They remove the suspension of disbelief. The Queen's Naboo cruiser didn't need to look utilitarian or junky, but it didn't have to be a shimmering cartoon, either.

Jerkface posted:

dexters diner is the most egregious thing in the prequels. My problem with it is not that a diner exists in star wars, but that it was realized as an Earth 50s diner including an alien wearing strangely earth like clothing and robots modeled after 50s diner waitresses. Instead of being a diner, but making sense in the star wars universe (like how Maz's watering hole & the mos eisley cantina look like plausible bars for their environs) this loving 50s diner looks like someone took a johnny rockets & put a stupid looking CGI alien in it. Like there are no robots in the OT that are so clearly modelled after a very earth like concept like a 50s diner waitress robot.

Obi-wan meeting an old friend whos an alien, sure. Alien wears apron & wife beater despite having 4 arms and being a weird frog guy? gently caress off.

This post made my day.

But it's true, too - why would the people of Coruscant be nostalgic for a diner that evokes memories from the 1950s of the United States of America?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Sebulba walks with his arms and manipulates stuff with his feet. Your move, Andy Serkis and *~practical effects~*.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jerkface posted:

Sentai guy is lovingly helping his disabled buddy to their ship, has a cool costume with a hat helmet that reminds me of a musketeer. Its a pretty evocative design and is just as visually distinct & imagination fueling as any OT / PT design. Think you're being unfair to that dude. Considering you just gushed about a little bat gremlin.

Red hat alien and peg leg alien were pretty cool, I can't wait for the two dozen books of backstory they somehow get.

quote:

This dude's memorable. He's bizarre. He's got personality. He doesn't look like anything else that's ever been in Star Wars. Same goes for this guy:

I have no idea who that guy is or which movie he was in.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jan 6, 2016

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Red posted:

But it's true, too - why would the people of Coruscant be nostalgic for a diner that evokes memories from the 1950s of the United States of America?

Well why are they speaking English? Why aren't they *all* weird-looking aliens? This isn't meant to be a realistic simulation of an actual galaxy far far away, because that would be a garbage movie. Out of all of the stuff that's clearly copy-pasted from earth history you can't forgive this one stylistic choice for an alien restaurant because it's, what, too recent? Too recognizable?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Shanty posted:

Well why are they speaking English? Why aren't they *all* weird-looking aliens? This isn't meant to be a realistic simulation of an actual galaxy far far away, because that would be a garbage movie. Out of all of the stuff that's clearly copy-pasted from earth history you can't forgive this one stylistic choice for an alien restaurant because it's, what, too recent? Too recognizable?

Yeah this is my feeling too like, the 50's diner is the thing that breaks that guy's mind? Something in a Star Wars movie cannot be "not Star Wars" because it's in a damned Star Wars film.

Star Wars doesn't actually exist, it's a creation. Taken as that, there's no reason a 50's diner can't be in Star Wars because it is.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Shanty posted:

They tried not speaking English. It's called the first 15 minutes of the Star Wars Holiday Special. I think we can suspend our disbelief over what language they're speaking and still question why that Jedi is in a 1950's diner.

If this really is a kid's movie like people like to say, Lucas should have had Obi-Wan visit his old frog friend at a Chucky Cheese. What kid is going to relate to an Eisenhower-era fast food restaurant? Jedi ball pit is where it's at.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
That tooth rat alien in the bottom center frame looks like one of the aliens from attack the block.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Neil deGrasse Tyson tells me that in space there are no fifties diners

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

homullus posted:

Sebulba walks with his arms and manipulates stuff with his feet. Your move, Andy Serkis and *~practical effects~*.

I'm still not sure how this and other whinge posts aren't anything more than attempting to force opunion into fact. I mean, if I see a story where an alien race walks around with its asscheeks, I'm not going to go "thats better than Jabba the Hutt!" Because [in my opinion] having a weird gimmick doesnt provide such elevation.

It feels like, at this point, the PT defenders who accused OT defenders of being crotchety old men opposed to change are now themselves crotchety old men opposed to the new generation sppreciatibg practical effects and classic films.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Krispy Kareem posted:

They tried not speaking English. It's called the first 15 minutes of the Star Wars Holiday Special. I think we can suspend our disbelief over what language they're speaking and still question why that Jedi is in a 1950's diner.

If this really is a kid's movie like people like to say, Lucas should have had Obi-Wan visit his old frog friend at a Chucky Cheese. What kid is going to relate to an Eisenhower-era fast food restaurant? Jedi ball pit is where it's at.

A kid doesn't know what a 1950's diner is aside from the general tropes it evokes. Plus, a Chucky Cheese doesn't say anything about the story or characters in the way that some of the great posts about the diner enhancing Obi-Wan's characterization does.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
What's the overlap, I wonder, on people who take offense to the scathing observation that Star Wars is for children with those who complain that the prequels ruined their childhood.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
PT interpretors hating TFA are made even funnier by the fact that a significant argument in favor of their readings was that it is better to consider the good in a movie than to force oneself into a negative, unenjoyable experience.

How many arguments do they actually believe, and how many were in the name of contrarianism?

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Neurolimal posted:

PT interpretors hating TFA are made even funnier by the fact that a significant argument in favor of their readings was that it is better to consider the good in a movie than to force oneself into a negative, unenjoyable experience.

How many arguments do they actually believe, and how many were in the name of contrarian ism?

Pro-PT versus Pro-OT is a false distinction, they are all able to be included in part of a larger philosophical discussion. What is at odds is moreso the act of reading vs. dismissing. You can not like a film but still engage in an active reading of it. You can also like a film while exploring it's troubling implications.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

I have no idea who that guy is or which movie he was in.

And I have no idea who you are. But that doesn't mean someone doesn't love you.

Neurolimal posted:

How many arguments do they actually believe, and how many were in the name of contrarianism?

I liked the movie. I'm not a TFA-hater. I think we've already focused on a lot of the positives: likable characters, decent acting, BB-8's design, Han Solo was in the movie, Oscar Isaac is handsome, etc...I'm sure there's more to talk about, but I'll be honest and say the movie didn't really grab me in a major way, and I'm personally not sure what more there is to say. I guess there was some nice stuff about masks at the beginning.

Despite enjoying it, I also happen to think the movie represents a really big missed opportunity. It's about as enjoyable and well-made as your average Marvel Cinematic Universe film. I enjoy those movies, too, for the most part. But after a while you run out of things to talk about, and you start wishing the filmmakers would have shown a little more imagination and ambition.

And TFA has also gotten an overwhelmingly positive reception. If you believe Rotten Tomatoes, it's on par with the best of the original trilogy, films which are recognized today as innovative and enduring classics that changed cinema and left a deep, lasting impact on our culture. I think it's fair to provide a reasonable countervailing voice to what I believe to be some rather overzealous acclaim. Just like I think it's fair to provide a reasonable countervailing voice to the commonly vocalized sentiment that the prequels are irredeemably awful, lazy, and among the worst films ever to have been made.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 6, 2016

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Danger posted:

Pro-PT versus Pro-OT is a false distinction, they are all able to be included in part of a larger philosophical discussion. What is at odds is moreso the act of reading vs. dismissing. You can not like a film but still engage in an active reading of it. You can also like a film while exploring it's troubling implications.

This is all well and good, if you are willing to ignore the blatant fact that the vast majority of PT defenders have opposed the film and submitted poor, fact-sparse and strained readings, and a significant number of pro-OT posters have given elaborate and informative readings that are then handwaved away. It's very much a case of two groups segregating themselves to opposing tribes.

(This is assuming you're disagreeing with me, I've been awake for all of 25 minutes so far so I could just be tilting at windmills right now.)

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neurolimal posted:

You're confused. There isn't hate attached to any Star Wars film in this thread by the people who critically engage with the prequels. Some of them have even said Episode 7 is "good" or "decent". What you're seeing is thoughtful comparisons between the prequels and Episode 7 where the latter doesn't automatically "win" the comparison.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nah I don't think you can say that.

Tfa is so different from Lucas Star Wars I don't know if you'll ever get a consistent correlation.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

You're confused. There isn't hate attached to any Star Wars film in this thread by the people who critically engage with the prequels. Some of them have even said Episode 7 is "good" or "decent". What you're seeing is thoughtful comparisons between the prequels and Episode 7 where the latter doesn't automatically "win" the comparison.

Not saying you dislike something and trying to coach it in the frame of 'oh well it was okay but..." is an age-old internet(and pre-internet) tactic. When you are saying the film has no thematic or creative value and making implications about the creators being bankrupt and uncaring then you do, in fact, dislike the film regardless of what you actually state. This is doubly true on CD where the idea of turning off your brain and watching a film is generally considered something to deride.

This does not apply to all criticism of TFA, mind you.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cnut the Great posted:

And I have no idea who you are. But that doesn't mean someone doesn't love you.

:shobon:

I was hoping to learn more though!

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Waffles Inc. posted:

Yeah this is my feeling too like, the 50's diner is the thing that breaks that guy's mind? Something in a Star Wars movie cannot be "not Star Wars" because it's in a damned Star Wars film.

Star Wars doesn't actually exist, it's a creation. Taken as that, there's no reason a 50's diner can't be in Star Wars because it is.
Violating a sense of verisimilitude in a film is as jarring as breaking the fourth wall. The trouble with the Diner was that it was too familiar and too obviously a reference to something outside the film. Lucas could have had Obi-Wan visit the diner-owner in a location that was aesthetically in line with Coruscant, like he did with the trashy neon nightclub. Instead, he sends Obi-Wan to an Earth diner. Someone up-thread compared it to Johnny Rockets and that's about right -- it looks more like a tacky, modern retro-50s restaurant than anything you see in Back to the Future or American Graffiti, let alone actual 1950s America. Exactly what is Dexter Jettster nostalgic for? Was Coruscant briefly the "1950s Planet" location for an original series Star Trek episode?

So you're left asking why this jarring aesthetic choice for the diner and the two most plausible answers is that it either simply tickled Lucas's fancy, or it was a deliberate reference to something concrete like Cnut the Great suggested. In either case, Lucas cracks the Star Wars universe's verisimilitude.

It'd be like Gandalf comparing Sauron to Hitler in Lord of the Rings.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

ImpAtom posted:

Not saying you dislike something and trying to coach it in the frame of 'oh well it was okay but..." is an age-old internet(and pre-internet) tactic. When you are saying the film has no thematic or creative value and making implications about the creators being bankrupt and uncaring then you do, in fact, dislike the film regardless of what you actually state. This is doubly true on CD where the idea of turning off your brain and watching a film is generally considered something to deride.

This does not apply to all criticism of TFA, mind you.

This seems weirdly aggressive.
A: "I liked the movie, here are some thoughts on consumerism or whatever."
B: "I'm not falling for this age-old internet tactic. You clearly DON'T like this movie and are simply trolling."
A: "Here are some more thoughts, maybe Rey is really the bad guy??? Thought the movie was good btw."
B: "Admit that you didn't actually like it or get out."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

I'm still not sure how this and other whinge posts aren't anything more than attempting to force opunion into fact. I mean, if I see a story where an alien race walks around with its asscheeks, I'm not going to go "thats better than Jabba the Hutt!" Because [in my opinion] having a weird gimmick doesnt provide such elevation.

It feels like, at this point, the PT defenders who accused OT defenders of being crotchety old men opposed to change are now themselves crotchety old men opposed to the new generation sppreciatibg practical effects and classic films.

Speaking of forcing opinion onto fact, in my anecdotal experience, less than 4% of the new generation "appreciating practical effects" can even tell the difference between practical effects and CG in Star Wars films. They (you?) literally do not know what they (you?) are talking about, turning to one specious explanation after another for why the prequels are inferior. You actually don't need an excuse to dislike the prequels at all, but if you want some better ones, try:

"I prefer stories of heroes triumphing over evil"
"I prefer stories of hope over ones of defeat"
"I enjoyed Anakin's redemption more than his downfall"
"I enjoyed the lived-in/utilitarian look of the OT more"
"I enjoyed the Force as a mysterious power held by a handful of people"

These are obviously all reasons to like TFA more, also. Let go of the idea that your dislike needs to be grounded in "fact"!

Your other point is a good one: the fact that Sebulba walks on his hands doesn't make it a "good" creature design, and I wasn't implying it was. I was pointing out that insisting on the superiority of practical effects and privileging them in your production design will necessarily limit what you are capable of doing in a movie. You won't see as imaginative creature design in future Star Wars as long as the fan base is tilting at the CG windmill.

• Locked thread