Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Somfin posted:

Is there a single loving action that hasn't been turned into something that can be used to impress a manga/anime character? loving pouring is close-up impressed-face-frame-worthy now?

I dunno man I find myself doing that one frame closeup face when I'm confronted with most "japanese loving action" really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Waaa? Some of these need more words.

Put chapstick in muffins?

Ants can't resist red goo?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Angela Christine posted:

Waaa? Some of these need more words.

Put chapstick in muffins?
Put muffin wrappers in car cupholders to use them to hold smaller objects, as opposed to just putting smaller objects in them? :shrug: Not a defense, this poo poo's stupid.

I think the second one is supposed to be "Attracting ants = ant control" which is the opposite of true. :lol:

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

AlphaKretin posted:

Put muffin wrappers in car cupholders to use them to hold smaller objects, as opposed to just putting smaller objects in them? :shrug: Not a defense, this poo poo's stupid.

It keeps the items from cupholder one from mixing with the items in cupholder two and vice versa. It's pretty much just a solution to an extremely minor #FirstWorldProblem.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

AlphaKretin posted:

I think the second one is supposed to be "Attracting ants = ant control" which is the opposite of true. :lol:

It's supposed to keep your car cup holders from getting crumbs, spills and sticky poo poo inside, a thing that happens when you have disgusting children in your car.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Angela Christine posted:

This one is a well-known Helpful Hint. You put a ring of jelly with yeast at the centre; the ants eat through the jelly to the yeast and somehow eating the yeast causes them to explode.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Dogfish posted:

This one is a well-known Helpful Hint. You put a ring of jelly with yeast at the centre; the ants eat through the jelly to the yeast and somehow eating the yeast causes them to explode.

"The purpose of any leavener is to produce the gas that makes bread rise. Yeast does this by feeding on the sugars in flour, and expelling carbon dioxide in the process."
https://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/bread/activity-yeast.html

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Eponine posted:

It's supposed to keep your car cup holders from getting crumbs, spills and sticky poo poo inside, a thing that happens when you have disgusting children in your car.

And to follow up on this, those aren't paper muffin liners - those look like silicone reusable ones.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Angela Christine posted:

Got ants? Put jam on the floor! #Lifehack!

You know what's fun on a date? Turning it into some kind of weird job interview/test!

What are those?

Stick whatever those things are on a fan. Lifehack?

If you live alone, it's the government. :ssh:

Actually it's probably them anyway, because why would your partner (or anyone else) be staring at you at 2am?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum posted:

What are those?

Otter Pops. They come unfrozen, and then you stick them in the freezer. If you freeze them on their side then they're a pain to open.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Tiggum posted:

What are those?

Fla-Vor-Ice and dryer sheets. Both are pretty common if you live in North America.

edit: dryer sheets on the back of the fan will deodorize/cover up a scent in a room. It will instead smell overwhelmingly of laundry.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Tiggum posted:

What are those?
They are no-name freeze pops, which are popsicles in a plastic sleeve and they are far inferior to Otter Pops brand popsicle in a plastic sleeve

Tiggum posted:

They are dryer sheets, it is to make your house smell like dryer sheets. Why don't you know what things are, are your parents rich?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Dryer sheets are pretty much uknown i Europe.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Wheatgrass juice hack: ignore actual nutritional information.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

axolotl farmer posted:

Dryer sheets are pretty much uknown i Europe.
What are those?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

They are paper sheets impregnated with fabric softener. You put one in the dryer when doing laundry.

Works like liquid fabric softener: removes static electricity and makes the clothes softer. They are usually scented.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Tiggum posted:

What are those?

You've never seen freezies or dryer sheets? Really?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

axolotl farmer posted:

They are paper sheets impregnated with fabric softener. You put one in the dryer when doing laundry.

Works like liquid fabric softener: removes static electricity and makes the clothes softer. They are usually scented.
I see. We don't generally have dryers in Eastern Europe.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Tiggum's Australian and unless they're only in my state the local equivalent of those ice sticks is Zooper Doopers. :eng101: They, uh, aren't exactly marketed at mature adults.

E: VVV Clotheslines exist. :confused:

AlphaKretin has a new favorite as of 16:00 on Jan 6, 2016

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

kalstrams posted:

I see. We don't generally have dryers in Eastern Europe.

must suck wearing wet clothes all the time

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

oopsie rock posted:

must suck wearing wet clothes all the time
Such is life.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Freezy pops are the cheapest thing ever they're just slightly flavored dyed sugar water in a plastic sleeve. I'm shocked that there are countries that don't have them, because they're so very basic.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

...but what drinks are these?

I have a feeling that this woman is not a real doctor. "Don't lower a fever! Just let your kid's brain cook in its skull. Or like, crack your neck or something.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

*Places potatoes and carrots in boiling water, kills entire family with poison gas*

I...uh...what?

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Eponine posted:

Drink 1: steep a tea ball full of stuff you combed out of your dog once he came in from the back field for a relaxing beverage
Drink 2: Drinking a mason jar full of cherry preserves can be a welcome comfort
Drink 3: Mix hot water with beef tallow or reserved clarified bacon grease and 2 tablespoons ground ginger to soothe a cold

How do you not know what things are, were your parents rich?

E: walla

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Eponine posted:

I have a feeling that this woman is not a real doctor. "Don't lower a fever! Just let your kid's brain cook in its skull. Or like, crack your neck or something.

While sending your kids to a chiropractor can be super dangerous, and the salt sock seems stupid, if your kid (or you) have a fever that isn't in the "Causing brain damage zone" it is best to let it run it's course, at least according to my doctor growing up and also my kid's pediatrician.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Eponine posted:

Given the first "absolute best thing for an ear infection" is some bullshit chiropractic quackery, she's probably a chiropractic "doctor."

Lifehack: Paralyze your child, give them brain damage, then cover them in loving salt!

edit: ^^I don't trust someone who advises pseudoscience and snake oil to advise me on what represents a safe fever to let run its course. Let a real M.D. tell you that (and they'll tell you to come back immediately if it doesn't go away in x amount of time or gets above y degrees).

Magnus Praeda has a new favorite as of 16:59 on Jan 6, 2016

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Eponine posted:

God dammit, so close. It even says why it works, but MAGIC!!

Yes, you dumbshit crystal-gripping hippie it IS because the salt is good at retaining heat. That's why it's good on an irritated ear: the heat increases blood flow and relieves pain. A damp hot towel works too. If it's inflammed an ice pack is good. It's not the loving salt!! Temperature!

Ugh, and it's not even a cure, it just relieves discomfort. Which is good because less pain = faster healing, but goddamn MAGIC SALT gently caress

oh yeah 'don't treat a fever' 'cause childhood deafness and brain damage is superfun

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
It sounds like she's trying to salt cure the kid. Earache cure, or country ham recipe?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I used to think a chiropractor was just a fancy masseuse... now the more I learn the more crazy there is.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think there are some legitimate things it can do*, but a lot treat it as magic.

Edit: As in, I recall reading that in the past.

Aphrodite has a new favorite as of 17:05 on Jan 6, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Aphrodite posted:

I think there are some legitimate things it can do*, but a lot treat it as magic.

Edit: As in, I recall reading that in the past.
Chiropractic is good for getting a massage while working toward your insurance deductible but that's an extremely white middle class lifehack. And you need to watch out of the ones who start touching things above the shoulders because they are probably going to break your neck or knock an artery loose. Results not guaranteed below the shoulders either because I had a friend limp away from a chiropractic session with dislocated ribs.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Karate Bastard posted:

E: oh wait, you were talking about bananas. Dunno, don't have much experience with those. Don't you freebase that?
You scrape the inside of the peel, dry the scrapings in the oven and smoke them. Jeez it's like you people never even heard of *~ThE AnArChIsT's CoOkBoOk~*.doc.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

zedprime posted:

Chiropractic is good for getting a massage while working toward your insurance deductible but that's an extremely white middle class lifehack. And you need to watch out of the ones who start touching things above the shoulders because they are probably going to break your neck or knock an artery loose. Results not guaranteed below the shoulders either because I had a friend limp away from a chiropractic session with dislocated ribs.

There are also people the believe chiropractic also has healing capabilities beyond pain relief, I think. Like, if you've got a genuine sickness, getting your spine adjusted semi-regularly will somehow cure you of this. It really straddles the line of fairly helpful and potentially dangerous, and it all comes down to the what person performing it believes it can do.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

SpacePig posted:

There are also people the believe chiropractic also has healing capabilities beyond pain relief, I think. Like, if you've got a genuine sickness, getting your spine adjusted semi-regularly will somehow cure you of this. It really straddles the line of fairly helpful and potentially dangerous, and it all comes down to the what person performing it believes it can do.
Yeah but the person was mentioning legitimate things it can do, which is at best give you free (potentially violent and dangerous) massages depending on your insurance plan terms.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Ryoshi posted:

I...uh...what?

I was referring to this:

Don't start your potatoes in boiling water, OR ELSE... ???

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

zedprime posted:

Yeah but the person was mentioning legitimate things it can do, which is at best give you free (potentially violent and dangerous) massages depending on your insurance plan terms.

Yeah, sorry, I missed parts of the conversation before his post. But now that I'm looking it up, holy poo poo:

"Wikipedia: Chiropractic controversy and criticism posted:

Chiropractors historically were strongly opposed to vaccination based on their belief that all diseases were traceable to causes in the spine, and therefore could not be affected by vaccines. Some chiropractors continue to be opposed to vaccination.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I was referring to this:

Don't start your potatoes in boiling water, OR ELSE... ???

You should start in cold water, not must.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
loving cripes, really?
I thought they were just medical pain-relive back massages along with acupuncture.

AlphaKretin posted:

Tiggum's Australian and unless they're only in my state the local equivalent of those ice sticks is Zooper Doopers. :eng101: They, uh, aren't exactly marketed at mature adults.

E: VVV Clotheslines exist. :confused:
Zooper Doopers are the best. Check out the flavours:

COLA COSMOS!
RASPBERRY ROCKET!
DEEP SPACE... LIME?
SPACE... PINE.. APPLE? :shrug:

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
I mean, true, but the lack of understanding behind it really hamstrings the usefulness of the rule.

Why start in cold water? To heat the vegetable along with the water to cook evenly. Very useful for thick, starchy veggies or things you want to break down.
Why start in hot water? To blanch or lightly cook rapidly without overly breaking it down and keeping texture and color. Good for delicate veggies that cook fast, or flavorful things like carrots that you don't want mushy.

Why are you cooking them a certain way, you must understand whyyyyyy

edit ORANGE QUADRANT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Croccers posted:

loving cripes, really?
I thought they were just medical pain-relive back massages along with acupuncture.

Zooper Doopers are the best. Check out the flavours:

COLA COSMOS!
RASPBERRY ROCKET!
DEEP SPACE... LIME?
SPACE... PINE.. APPLE? :shrug:

Whatstheharm slash chiropracty and or slash acupuncture, check it out