Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Croccers posted:

loving cripes, really?
I thought they were just medical pain-relive back massages along with acupuncture.

Zooper Doopers are the best. Check out the flavours:

COLA COSMOS!
RASPBERRY ROCKET!
DEEP SPACE... LIME?
SPACE... PINE.. APPLE? :shrug:

Wanna live in the Orange Quadrant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
A bubblegum quasar went off in my mouth and now I need to visit the chiro twice a week for jaw cancer.

Pistoph
Jul 4, 2014

Angela Christine posted:

Ants can't resist red goo?

Already been discussed some, but the original post (here, for anyone interested) says to mix borax with jam or something else sweet. Ants can't digest borax and the hope would be they'd take it back to the nest and kill the colony by feeding it to the queen. The jam is to attract them/disguise the poison. Borax is a decent enough solution if you have pets and you're worried about them messing with traditional ant traps, I guess. I've tried a variation of this, but I've had more success with a thorough cleaning of the affected area. What gets me is the jam is directly on the floor. Why not put it on a plate where it's easier to clean? Gross.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

We successfully cleared an ant infestation from our kitchen floor by laying out borax/sugarwater. Then we used commercial bait "traps" (that also contain borax, but are better packaged) outside to thin the nest. That was a couple summers ago, and we haven't seen ants in any alarming number since--inside or out.

Then you can use a saturated borax solution to make crystals. :science:

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Eponine posted:

I have a feeling that this woman is not a real doctor. "Don't lower a fever! Just let your kid's brain cook in its skull. Or like, crack your neck or something.

I googled her. She's a DC... DOCTOR CHIROPRACTOR.. This is not a real doctor, nor a PhD, just someone who goes to an alchemy school to learn about energy and spines.
It takes 3.5 years to get their snake oil diploma.

I'm surprised it isn't against the law to call yourself a doctor in what's clearly a misleading way.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Non Serviam posted:

I googled her. She's a DC... DOCTOR CHIROPRACTOR.. This is not a real doctor, nor a PhD, just someone who goes to an alchemy school to learn about energy and spines.

I'm surprised it isn't against the law to call yourself a doctor in what's clearly a misleading way.

there are other kinds of doctors like MLK's doctor of theology. She very well can call herself a doctor, just not a medical doctor. Hence her being in the "journey to natural living," not something actual doctors are published in

Fauxtool has a new favorite as of 20:05 on Jan 6, 2016

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Tiggum posted:

Do you suffer from some sort of debilitating illness that has left you with the muscle strength of a newborn kitten?

^ This man has forearm strength from making whipped cream and wants you to know it.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

axolotl farmer posted:

They are paper sheets impregnated with fabric softener. You put one in the dryer when doing laundry.

Works like liquid fabric softener: removes static electricity and makes the clothes softer. They are usually scented.

LIFEHACK: For more absorbent towels, DON'T use fabric softener on them. It works by entering the gaps in fabric.

(No, really. I am serious.)

Samizdata has a new favorite as of 22:06 on Jan 6, 2016

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Croccers posted:

loving cripes, really?
I thought they were just medical pain-relive back massages along with acupuncture.

COLA COSMOS!
RASPBERRY ROCKET!
DEEP SPACE... LIME?

Fairy Floss Force Field needs to be a euphemism for something...

E: American here, but I know "Fairy/Candy Floss" is Cotton Candy. It's also a way cuter name for the stuff.

Rahonavis has a new favorite as of 22:17 on Jan 6, 2016

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

Croccers posted:

COLA COSMOS!
RASPBERRY ROCKET!
DEEP SPACE... LIME?

I just picked up some Space Pineapple from my dealer, can't wait to try it out this weekend

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Croccers posted:

loving cripes, really?

COLA COSMOS!
RASPBERRY ROCKET!
DEEP SPACE... LIME?

Gotta admit, the cola sounds yummy (says the guy unable to walk past a Slurpee/Froster machine with Coke in it).

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

El Spamo posted:

I mean, true, but the lack of understanding behind it really hamstrings the usefulness of the rule.

Why start in cold water? To heat the vegetable along with the water to cook evenly. Very useful for thick, starchy veggies or things you want to break down.
Why start in hot water? To blanch or lightly cook rapidly without overly breaking it down and keeping texture and color. Good for delicate veggies that cook fast, or flavorful things like carrots that you don't want mushy.

I've always started everything in boiling water so I can time things consistently, but I guess that this makes perfect sense too.

Also, Otter Pops are way better than any of the knockoff brands. They are (supposedly) made with actual fruit juice and have bizarre flavor names like Little Orphan Orange.

Edit: Because whenever I think of oranges I think of crippling depression.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! has a new favorite as of 23:05 on Jan 6, 2016

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I've always started everything in boiling water so I can time things consistently, but I guess that this makes perfect sense too.

Also, Otter Pops are way better than any of the knockoff brands. They are (supposedly) made with actual fruit juice and have bizarre flavor names like Little Orphan Orange.

Little Orphan Apple sounds catchier, but I've never seen an apple flavored ice pop.

Also if they're going to use Space and Lime together in a name, it should be Bending Space & Lime. :colbert:

Cola Cosmos sounds awesome though.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Karma Monkey posted:

Also if they're going to use Space and Lime together in a name, it should be Bending Space & Lime. :colbert:

Cola Cosmos sounds awesome though.
Capitan Benjamin Sisko is deeply disappointed in you.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Deep Space Lime was really ahead of its time. It's a shame that Applestar galactica took its creative weaknesses and jumped off the deep end with them, because that was a pretty good flavor at first too.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Stairs posted:

Capitan Benjamin Sisko is deeply disappointed in you.

It's mutual. But now that I think about it, Bending Space and Lime is probably better as a cocktail name.

Tweet Me Balls posted:

Applestar galactica

Someone needs to make this flavor happen.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Lime and Relative Dimension in Space?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Crab Nebula

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Non Serviam posted:

In Ontario, where I live, chiropractic is a regulated health profession. :(

Planet Piss
Dec 18, 2006

hey you kids, get out of my moat, it was not meant to be played in

Elfface posted:

Lime and Relative Dimension in Space?

Wouldn't that be Lardis? On second thought, good name for a sugary snack

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

I think space pineapple is a (probably unintentional) Black Books reference.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I'm surprised no one has given Deep Space Lime its due credit for being a fantastic Star Trek pun.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I can't believe they passed up Blackcurrant Black Hole and Relativistic Raspberry.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sarmhan posted:

I can't believe they passed up Blackcurrant Black Hole and Relativistic Raspberry.

probably because its a treat for children and they want their target audience to understand their naming scheme

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

As if kids know what the hell quasar and quadrant mean.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

sarmhan posted:

As if kids know what the hell quasar and quadrant mean.

They sound cool and have no more than two syllables. Black hole is fine, relativistic is less so.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Wanamingo posted:

Otter Pops. They come unfrozen, and then you stick them in the freezer. If you freeze them on their side then they're a pain to open.
I thought they were probably something like this, it was the "guarantee a clean cut" bit that was confusing me. It's been a while since I last saw them and I had forgotten that you have to cut them open.

bradzilla posted:

You've never seen dryer sheets? Really?
I don't know if they're even a thing in Australia, but also, I have never owned a dryer (and neither do my parents).

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Spergin' Strawberry

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Dryer sheets are a thing here in Aus but I've never seen them used. :shrug:

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

El Spamo posted:

oh yeah 'don't treat a fever' 'cause childhood deafness and brain damage is superfun

I know this was the last page, but this poo poo drives me nuts. Fevers can't cause brain damage, deafness, hearing loss, or anything like it. They can cause febrile seizures but those are harmless. The only fevers that are dangerous are the ones caused by outside stuff-- drugs or being left in a hot car-- not your own body fighting off illness. If some kid has a super high fever, it's not the fever the doctors are worrying about but the serious illness that might be causing it.

Christ. loving goons. What the gently caress.

E: also chiropractors are complete bullshit. Chase those fuckers outta town.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Croccers posted:

loving cripes, really?

COLA COSMOS!
RASPBERRY ROCKET!
DEEP SPACE... LIME?

pfft! What are these fancy things?

This is what I got as a child:

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Tweet Me Balls posted:

Deep Space Lime was really ahead of its time. It's a shame that Applestar galactica took its creative weaknesses and jumped off the deep end with them, because that was a pretty good flavor at first too.

True, but I liked Babylemon 5 better.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SpacePig posted:

Wanna live in the Orange Quadrant.

That’s East Berlin.

Not even joking.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

El Spamo posted:

God dammit, so close. It even says why it works, but MAGIC!!

Yes, you dumbshit crystal-gripping hippie it IS because the salt is good at retaining heat. That's why it's good on an irritated ear: the heat increases blood flow and relieves pain. A damp hot towel works too. If it's inflammed an ice pack is good. It's not the loving salt!! Temperature!

Ugh, and it's not even a cure, it just relieves discomfort. Which is good because less pain = faster healing, but goddamn MAGIC SALT gently caress

oh yeah 'don't treat a fever' 'cause childhood deafness and brain damage is superfun

In the case of a virus or an infection a fever can kill or slow the reproduction of said bad things. That's assuming that the fever stays below a safe temperature, which isn't a given, especially in kids.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Platystemon posted:

That’s East Berlin.

Not even joking.

I know it's off-topic, but what? How does that happen?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Magnus Praeda posted:

You want to know why East and West Berlin have different lighting?

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Magnus Praeda posted:

How old are you?

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Edit: Because whenever I think of oranges I think of crippling depression.

Well Annie was a ginger so that's probably what they were going for.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

These two separate posts that effectively say the same thing are actually right though. For two weeks prior to booking a flight for our vacation, I watched the price fluctuate before bottoming out on the fifty-third day out. The numbers only went up from there. Thanks for listening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Fauxtool posted:

there are other kinds of doctors like MLK's doctor of theology. She very well can call herself a doctor, just not a medical doctor. Hence her being in the "journey to natural living," not something actual doctors are published in

Mlk is called "doctor" because he obtained a PhD in theology. Granted theology is glorified clairvoyance, but it's still a PhD.

This D. C. Lady gets her "doctor" title from her first degree in her bullshit profession. It's like a lawyer calling himself doctor because of his J. D. (juris doctor)