Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I tried a whole bunch of wikis personally. Confluence won out due to ease of use, integration with other Atlassian stuff, and overall polish. It was $10 of my own funds and well worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Most wikis are generally the same. Mediawiki is the gold standard but it's become a bit of a behemoth with its widespread usage. We are using Dokuwiki at my current place because it uses flat files rather than a database.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Is confluence what I want here or are there any halfway decent open source alternatives out there? This would be for strictly in house IT use so it doesn't need to look pretty.
Spiceworks would probably work for you. We ran an instance in-house for asset management and help desk and barely scratched the surface of what it's capable of. It worked well for our two-man operation.

Edit: I totally glossed over the wiki requirement, sorry. There's probably a plugin for it that would add in a wiki but I've never had to look got one v :shobon: v

IAmKale fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 6, 2016

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

DigitalMocking posted:

I don't believe you. :colbert: What exactly do you do if you're a network engineer and don't understand routing protocols? And LACP? Really? Port binding has been a thing since the 90s.

Configure static routing everywhere and don't bother with redundancy because who has time to manage STP anyway, right

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

psydude posted:

Configure static routing everywhere and don't bother with redundancy because who has time to manage STP anyway, right

That way we can save money by buying HP ProCurves which come with it off by default!

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

psydude posted:

:psyboom:

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Ok. I need to pick SH\SC's brain. I know being a generalist in IT isn't a good thing in the long term so I need to specialize. My problem is what to do?

I like command line stuff. I enjoy Powershell for admin stuff and some Cisco things. I've always had a fascination with *NIX stuff too. Company I'm with is mostly Windows servers so the big pushes right now are Azure\SCCM\SCOM. I feel like I'm good at Active Directory when it comes to organization\fields and I'm big on everything being standardized.

As I'm a soon-to-be father, I don't want to move companies so I'm kind of out of ideas on what to specialize in because most seem too general to focus in. :(

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you're already touching Azure stuff then I would use that with your Powershell experience to automate deployment of new Windows services onto cloud providers. Think one-click deployment of a domain controller that is ready 20 minutes later to replace an unhealthy one, reducing the physical hardware requirements of branch sites to just networking gear etc.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Of the stuff you're doing now, what do you enjoy the most?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

FISHMANPET posted:

Of the stuff you're doing now, what do you enjoy the most?

Mostly just the Powershell stuff. I'm usually the guy for AD stuff and Office 365 as well.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Powershell is insanely rewarding to learn. It's clunky, so the learning curve is steep, but it's really well standardized around the clunkiness. I've been deep into posh for about 2 years and now I'm the 'scripting guy' at my new job. No phones, no users :swoon:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Lord Dudeguy posted:

I got $55k/yr as a "Sysadmin" (glorified AD Account Jockey. No other responsibilities.) in your area about 5 years ago. It depends on what you're actually doing/responsible for now.

Honestly, you're easily able to pickup ~$40k/y "IT Generalist" positions in the Midwest. Sure, the job itself is easy but not everyone has additional soft-skills that are required. You may need to show up everyday at 7AM in the morning, dress/groom appropriately, answer the 2AM page, not get into petty fights with co-workers/customers and just get work done.

In other news, how has everyone handled work-related expenses? I've typically used my own credit card for convenience and getting free rewards then paying it off before the I'm charged any interest.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Tab8715 posted:

In other news, how has everyone handled work-related expenses? I've typically used my own credit card for convenience and getting free rewards then paying it off before the I'm charged any interest.

That's what I do too.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Tab8715 posted:

Honestly, you're easily able to pickup ~$40k/y "IT Generalist" positions in the Midwest. Sure, the job itself is easy but not everyone has additional soft-skills that are required. You may need to show up everyday at 7AM in the morning, dress/groom appropriately, answer the 2AM page, not get into petty fights with co-workers/customers and just get work done.

I am fine with expensing until it becomes a hassle to get my money back. Once that happens I don't expense. Seems to work out for me as a rule so far.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Everything gets funneled through personal cards to get rewards points or cash back. We typically reimburse within 5-10 days, so interest is never an issue.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Revised job posting went up and there are two viable candidates already. :toot: This whole experience makes me very angry with HR.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Kashuno posted:

Revised job posting went up and there are two viable candidates already. :toot: This whole experience makes me very angry with HR.
HR is the arch nemesis of IT.

I was going to suggest that in your apology to the other candidates you could ask them if they know anyone looking for a junior position, but if you've already got viable candidates I guess it's not necessary.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

As someone normally on the other side of that, I can say you're probably not the only one.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I don't know if it is specifically something unique to the Hispanic culture in my workplace, but weird poo poo is going on in the bathroom in my companies warehouse.

First of all, it appears most of the spanish speakers talk to each other mid poo poo. Literal battleshits are going on and these spanish speaking men LOVE to joke with each other during the battle. This is the first time I have ever encountered this bizarre custom.

And this week, for the second time, I went in to use the urinal and someone was sitting on the opposite wall from them, hanging out, just sitting there in a chair he brought into the bathroom.

:colbert: Why are you hanging out in the bathroom in that chair *mid piss*
:mexico: *spanish*
:colbert: Can you go away, this isn't the place to hang out and be chill *zip*
:mexico: *spanish*

Instead of calling an interpreter to the loving bathroom I leave and just write HR a bizarre email. Today is weird.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

psydude posted:

stp sucks though and vss should be used instead where possible.

Edit: I also like layer 3 at the access layer but that's more of a personal preference.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Kashuno posted:

I applied for my current job as a swing in the dark as all experience requirements were 5 years minimum, I've only been in IT for 2. Went to the interview and they had a copy of the job posting but all experience requirements were dropped to 2 years. I have no idea if HR punched up the numbers but forgot to change the hard copy (and then let me through anyway), or if the tech manager really liked my resume and dropped the numbers so I matched. Either way the pay and job description was waaayyyy too low for 5 years in the industry.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Irritated Goat posted:

Ok. I need to pick SH\SC's brain. I know being a generalist in IT isn't a good thing in the long term so I need to specialize. My problem is what to do?

I think the need to specialize is overstated. It was more true once upon a time when most companies thought that a rigid segregation of duties and expertise was the best way to structure IT, but that really runs counter to the whole devopsy mentality and also to the tighter and tighter integration among things that used to be considered disparate disciplines.

You can't be a good virtual admin if you don't also understand networking and storage and basic OS administration for the systems you're running and some form of scripting language to automate all of that. That's not to say that you can't specialize, you can certainly make great money as a large scale network architect or a really good DBA or a sharepoint expert, but to an extent I think you run the risk of finding yourself in a career dead end if you specialize too much, and if you enjoy being more of a generalist there are still plenty of roles for people like that.

It's good to know a lot about something, but it's also important to know something about the rest of it too. Someone has to be able to maintain the high level view of how all of these systems interact and that person usually gets paid pretty well.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kirios posted:

This will scale wonderfully!

It would be hilarious if some network admin wrote a script to update static routes in a way where they managed to effectively externalize the routing protocol.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

NippleFloss posted:

I think the need to specialize is overstated. It was more true once upon a time when most companies thought that a rigid segregation of duties and expertise was the best way to structure IT, but that really runs counter to the whole devopsy mentality and also to the tighter and tighter integration among things that used to be considered disparate disciplines.

You can't be a good virtual admin if you don't also understand networking and storage and basic OS administration for the systems you're running and some form of scripting language to automate all of that. That's not to say that you can't specialize, you can certainly make great money as a large scale network architect or a really good DBA or a sharepoint expert, but to an extent I think you run the risk of finding yourself in a career dead end if you specialize too much, and if you enjoy being more of a generalist there are still plenty of roles for people like that.

It's good to know a lot about something, but it's also important to know something about the rest of it too. Someone has to be able to maintain the high level view of how all of these systems interact and that person usually gets paid pretty well.

I am having issues due to too much specialization. I work on specific phone switches. They are used all over, but everything is getting more network integrated, and eventually, virtually hosted. So to keep doing the support vendor thing, I need to open up my skillset. Even worse, if I want to try to get hired by someone to run a phone system, what I am seeing is that my skills are preferred, as in network or windows admin required, and it would be nice if you could run the phone system too.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

Kirios posted:

Edit: I also like layer 3 at the access layer but that's more of a personal preference.

We're doing more and more L3 everywhere. An IGP of some sort with BFD is pretty awesome. We use VXLAN whenever people need to vmotion a VM from one access switch to another.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I bought a server to use as a virtualization lab / test bed off eBay.

1U, 2x E5-2620, 32GB DDR3, redundant power, 1TB HDD, Dual NICs.

$400 shipped. How'd I do?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

KillHour posted:

If you're doing any Windows work, you're gonna want to drop a big SSD into that thing. The I/O on that hard drive will drive you absolutely insane trying to do anything on more than one VM at once. Linux, and you're probably fine until you go to yum/apt-get upgrade.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Vulture Culture posted:

If you're doing any Windows work, you're gonna want to drop a big SSD into that thing. The I/O on that hard drive will drive you absolutely insane trying to do anything on more than one VM at once.

That was the plan. Store images / backups / whatever on the spinning disk, SSD for anything that needs live access. There's a free PCIe slot on there. Am I going to have issues if I get an NVMe adapter card?

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

KillHour posted:

No SSD, 4/10. You'll spend 7 hours just provisioning a single new VM with all the other thrashing going on.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

keseph posted:

No SSD, 4/10. You'll spend 7 hours just provisioning a single new VM with all the other thrashing going on.

It's not like I can't add one. I was more asking if I got a good price on the hardware.

Edit: I know everyone said avoid OCZ for desktop use, but were their PCIe drives terrible as well?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OCZ-RevoDri...gwAAOSwLN5Whz74

FusionIO drives are sexy, but spending more than half-again the price of the server is a bit much.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Fusion-I...wkAAOSwCQNWewfy
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fusion-IO-3...YUAAOSwo0JWLpcH

Double edit: Here's a link to the server datasheet, for anyone that feels like making a recommendation.
http://www.qct.io/index.php?route=account/download/download&order_download_id=2

KillHour fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jan 7, 2016

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
You can't just snag/borrow one from work? We've got two gen7 dl380s with 64gb/dual quad core sitting around I could easily take home, I'm just waiting until its legit to do so. I p2ved/v2ved everything that was on them from another company that will cease to exist in 2-3 months. They're out of warranty and we're a Dell shop. I might take the emc clariion cx4 to go with it for a full shared storage setup, I just need to figure out where the hell to put it in my garage.

Two jobs ago I got to take home an r720xd tower with 30tb that we misordered, that was fun until I had to give it back when I left.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

devmd01 posted:

You can't just snag/borrow one from work? We've got two gen7 dl380s with 64gb/dual quad core sitting around I could easily take home, I'm just waiting until its legit to do so. I p2ved/v2ved everything that was on them from another company that will cease to exist in 2-3 months. They're out of warranty and we're a Dell shop. I might take the emc clariion cx4 to go with it for a full shared storage setup, I just need to figure out where the hell to put it in my garage.

Two jobs ago I got to take home an r720xd tower with 30tb that we misordered, that was fun until I had to give it back when I left.

I no longer work at a place that has hardware lying around like that. And I am no longer in a position to take any if they did. I had to take a pretty major step back in career level due to a layoff and a general lack of demand for my skill set in the area (I used to do infrastructure design for IP surveillance systems; now I'm doing tier 1 helpdesk at a bank as a temp). Hence why I'm building a home lab - I need to get serious with some hardcore certs if I'm going to get my career back on track.

Anyone looking for a good sales engineer?

KillHour fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 7, 2016

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Kirios posted:

Yes of course you would use VSS in TYOOL 2015. But they didn't even want to use STP.

Also layer 3 at the access layer isn't feasible or necessary for every customer or environment, although it is nice when you can do it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

psydude posted:

You're missing the point. They didn't even want to bother with STP, nevermind VSS.

You don't need STP if your network doesn't have any redundant links! :suicide:

Edit: About 6 months ago, I had the pleasure of seeing a production network that used hubs at the access layer and had a "core" consisting of a pair of 10/100 layer 2 switches connecting the two ends of the building together with 62.5/125 MMF. They wanted to stick about 20 IP cameras on that. What do I win?

KillHour fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 7, 2016

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

KillHour posted:

Edit: About 6 months ago, I had the pleasure of seeing a production network that used hubs at the access layer and had a "core" consisting of a pair of 10/100 layer 2 switches connecting the two ends of the building together with 62.5/125 MMF. They wanted to stick about 20 IP cameras on that. What do I win?

:shepface:

Therapy? Liver damage?

I'm morbidly curious now. Had this just been running uninterrupted since like the late 80's, or did they actually build this on purpose within the last 5 years with hubs scavenged off eBay or something?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I need to get out of CO before the next winter hits. Where should I be looking for good job markets with mild winters? Humidity isn't an issue, I'd prefer someplace not huge (<=150k people), and I'd rather not live in California, but at this point I'm desperate. I'd also rather it not get up to 110 like Austin, but again, I'm desperate.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I need to get out of CO before the next winter hits. Where should I be looking for good job markets with mild winters? Humidity isn't an issue, I'd prefer someplace not huge (<=150k people), and I'd rather not live in California, but at this point I'm desperate. I'd also rather it not get up to 110 like Austin, but again, I'm desperate.

Texas has tech jobs but the population you're looking for probably eliminates a lot of places.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Given your requirements, North Carolina, IMO.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Docjowles posted:

:shepface:

Therapy? Liver damage?

I'm morbidly curious now. Had this just been running uninterrupted since like the late 80's, or did they actually build this on purpose within the last 5 years with hubs scavenged off eBay or something?

It's a chemical manufacturing facility that looks like it hasn't had a budget since the late 60s. And since the owner was a dick to me and I don't care, it's this one:

http://www.islechem.com/

The maintenance guy said there have been multiple explosions, and they keep barrels of HF just chilling in the open. The only reason I was even there is because, as the owner said, if he didn't do anything about their ancient security voluntarily, the government was going to make it not voluntary any more.

I told him he had to update his network before I'd even consider selling him cameras. He didn't like that very much.

Edit: I remember telling the maintenance guy that the owner was a dick and a tightass. He just said "He's better than the previous owner." :shepicide:

Oh, and their "server room" was damp. Like, condensation everywhere.

Double Edit: I was wrong, it was like 9 months ago. Where has the time gone? I know exactly where it went. 5 months of being unemployed and depressed, drinking whiskey at 11AM on a Tuesday.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

KillHour posted:

That sounds like half the network at the greyhound station in richmond.
They also had 2 COMPLETELY FULL 48 port switches at either end of that, their fiber was just loosely flopping around (strands), laying on the floor with people walking over it and poo poo piled on top of it, oh and their ISP was some lovely verizon DSL or something.