Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Who What Now posted:

As opposed to just leaving them alone which as we can see here did wonders at dealing with them such that they wouldn't escalate the situation.

they literally escalated by getting into their trucks and driving an hour to some abandoned shack in the woods

preppers are pissed at ammon bundy because he advertised this whole thing as a peaceful protest (where the 150+ militia number comes from) then pulled this takeover poo poo at the last minute hoping to get everyone to shrug and say 'well im here anyway' (and still only got like 15 people)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I like the argument that calling for more police oversight means you oppose the state's monopoly on legitimate force.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Who What Now posted:

Golly gee, you got me there. It sure does suck that our only options are "drone strikes" or "nothing ever" and we can't do things like, say, arrest these kinds of people for the crimes they commit. Oh well.
Ok but like you have people in this thread advocating that they be maximally prosecuted for crimes that huge numbers of OWS protesters committed because doing so will keep them from being able to disrupt everyday law-abiding citizens with their filthy filthy politics

the irony is pretty overwhelming

edit:

Nonsense posted:

And then they did OKC, nobody is going to cry for crazy militia.
thus proving the effectiveness of FBI tactics in the 1990's

I mean beyond the whole moral reprehensibility of this line of argument and wild inconsistency with D&D usual consensus on the use of force by agents of the state

LGD fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 6, 2016

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Who What Now posted:

You don't see this event involving one of the Bundys as being in any way, shape, or form related to the previous event involving the Bundys? I guess we really do have different perspectives then. If you don't mind my curiosity, what's it like living in a world where every single instant is completely divorced and unrelated to every other instant?

i dunno if sarcasm is really the best strategy to employ when you're engaging in baseless speculation about a conspiracy behind two disconnected events

lol though that you're asking me "do you really think these anti-government militia guys would engage in two seperate protests against the government?"

buttcoinbrony posted:

preppers are pissed at ammon bundy because he advertised this whole thing as a peaceful protest (where the 150+ militia number comes from) then pulled this takeover poo poo at the last minute hoping to get everyone to shrug and say 'well im here anyway' (and still only got like 15 people)

ah but he did secure the crucual support of revolutionaries Tarp Man, and Sideways Face Guy, and i'm sure a host of colorful rejected mega man bosses who will be capturing the public's hearts in coming weeks

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Mystic_Shadow posted:

They let it burn and decided to shoot anyone trying to escape the fire.

And it's still happening 40 years later. Why are urbanites so stuck in the past? Why can't they elect more reasonable moderates like this countryside Oregonian sheriff who isn't kill crazy? Really sad some of the country can't get over their bigotry and violence.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Mystic_Shadow posted:

They let it burn and decided to shoot anyone trying to escape the fire.

Yeah, that's kind of my point, every time the MOVE bombing is brought up its in the context of :kingsley: Oh my god the police DROPPED BOMBS:kingsley:

But they were tiny little 1lb breaching charges, what was horrifying about that incident was how they treated the fire, and that never seems to get mentioned.

edit: drat that was a bad typo, my brain broke or something

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 6, 2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

buttcoinbrony posted:

they literally escalated by getting into their trucks and driving an hour to some abandoned shack in the woods

Does that somehow make it not a crime? It's good they aren't being raided, it will be bad if they aren't arrested.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Have the feds gunned down any big left- or right-wing antigovernment movements in the US recently? Kinda seems like they stopped doing that after Waco

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Who What Now posted:

Does that somehow make it not a crime? It's good they aren't being raided, it will be bad if they aren't arrested.

They're just standing up for their rights, if that's a crime...

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i dunno if sarcasm is really the best strategy to employ when you're engaging in baseless speculation about a conspiracy behind two disconnected events

Disconnected except that it's being carried out by some of the same people, you mean. But I guess I can't argue with your logic of "if you completely ignore how these things are related, they don't seem to be related".

LGD posted:

Ok but like you have people in this thread advocating that they be maximally prosecuted for crimes that huge numbers of OWS protesters committed because doing so will keep them from being able to disrupt everyday law-abiding citizens with their filthy filthy politics

the irony is pretty overwhelming

Yeah, people saying the militia should be raided like it's a game of Rainbow Six or CS:GO are retarded. The people saying "just let them go without any consequences at all" are also retarded. The former I can at least understand as being a knee-jerk visceral reaction, the latter I can't see any justification for, though.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Who What Now posted:

its a crime, but going in WACO TACTICAL STYLE is a PR misstep at this point and the FBI has a bit of institutional knowledge about making this exact mistake

the fact that these guys are so hilariously underprepared probably plays into the FBI's decision making process too, this isnt a platoon of highly trained and supplied ex-soldiers, its a bunch of morons asking for snacks on facebook

e: i see what youre saying but if you want to arrest them right now, thats a raid

the FBI already knows whos there thanks to facebook, media interviews, and the fact that theres like 15 of them, the wheels of justice can afford to turn slowly here

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
The exact same assholes from the last standoff with the federal government deciding to stir up more poo poo after getting away with it the first time isn't exactly a conspiracy.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Who What Now posted:

Disconnected except that it's being carried out by some of the same people, you mean. But I guess I can't argue with your logic of "if you completely ignore how these things are related, they don't seem to be related".\

"i for one just don't understand how these guys who believe the government is trying to rob them of their land rights could end up at two individual anti-government protests. it just doesn't add up"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Talmonis posted:

I'll agree with that. But it still doesn't excuse why men threatening federal agents with weapons were not subsequently arrested after the situation simmered down and people went home.

Completely agree here. I was surprised to find out that they gave up entirely on arresting Cliven Bundy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Jarmak posted:

Yeah, that's kind of my point, every time the MOVE bombing is brought up its in the context of :kingsley: Oh my god the police DROPPED BOMBS:kingsley:

But they were tiny little 1lb breaching charges, what was horrifying about that incident was how they treated the fire, and that never seems to get mentioned.

edit: drat that was a bad typo, my brain broke or something

Dropping Breaching Charges (which, let's be honest, by Federal Law would be recognized as 'Bombs) from airplanes counts as dropping bombs. Nice double standard.

Note: A Hand Grenade, which is arguably a bomb, has 0.4 lbs of explosive in it (M67). That's a bomb. Oh, but 1lb breaching charges dropped from an airplane, not a bomb. Right.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Dropping Breaching Charges (which, let's be honest, by Federal Law would be recognized as 'Bombs) from airplanes counts as dropping bombs. Nice double standard.

his point was that the bomb was one of the less hosed up parts of that whole situation

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

buttcoinbrony posted:

his point was that the bomb was one of the less hosed up parts of that whole situation

That I can agree with.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

prefect posted:

Completely agree here. I was surprised to find out that they gave up entirely on arresting Cliven Bundy.

Because his case is still ongoing.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

They really should have just driven up an armored vehicle, teargassed the militia fuckers out, kept the media behind a roadblock X miles from the scene, and been done with it.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

quite frankly as an oregon taxpayer im on the hook for OSP overtime either way, id rather we let this play out hilarious and slow

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Venom Snake posted:

Is it just a matter of appeals and legitimate fighting in court? If so, that's good to hear.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Venom Snake posted:

His case, sure. What about the dozens of armed lunatics pointing guns at Federal agents? They're the ones who should have already been arrested.

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
Have there been any sort of legal repercussions for any of the people who participated in Bundy Ranch 1.0 as a result of their actions there? Besides the government trying unsuccessfully to build a solid case against Cliven Bundy after almost two years since the standoff, of course.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Who What Now posted:

Yeah, people saying the militia should be raided like it's a game of Rainbow Six or CS:GO are retarded. The people saying "just let them go without any consequences at all" are also retarded. The former I can at least understand as being a knee-jerk visceral reaction, the latter I can't see any justification for, though.

Sure, but I don't see why those consequences would be substantially different from what usually happens (or we feel should happen) when people illegally occupy a public space (such as a park or campus building) as a means of political protest and civil disobedience. Waiting them out and then hitting a few of the ringleaders with a couple trespassing or vandalism charges seems perfectly appropriate.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

buttcoinbrony posted:

its a crime, but going in WACO TACTICAL STYLE is a PR misstep at this point and the FBI has a bit of institutional knowledge about making this exact mistake

the fact that these guys are so hilariously underprepared probably plays into the FBI's decision making process too, this isnt a platoon of highly trained and supplied ex-soldiers, its a bunch of morons asking for snacks on facebook

e: i see what youre saying but if you want to arrest them right now, thats a raid

the FBI already knows whos there thanks to facebook, media interviews, and the fact that theres like 15 of them, the wheels of justice can afford to turn slowly here

Yeah, that's fine, I'm happy to let them wait miserably in the dark and cold, and wasting their time and money to do so.

"i for one just don't understand how these guys who believe the government is trying to rob them of their land rights could end up at two individual anti-government protests. it just doesn't add up"

Yes, that is indeed what you are saying. I understand perfectly well that the outcome of the first "protest" informed their decision to start the second and not that they just happened to be there by coincidence.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

UV_Catastrophe posted:

Have there been any sort of legal repercussions for any of the people who participated in Bundy Ranch 1.0 as a result of their actions there?

That couple went to a walmart and shot some people (including a good guy with a gun) before realizing they were baddies with guns and offing themselves.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Talmonis posted:

His case, sure. What about the dozens of armed lunatics pointing guns at Federal agents? They're the ones who should have already been arrested.

Yes they should be arrested but crimes don't exist in a vacuum. If we can wait for them to run out of snacks then arrest them quietly one by one that is far better than rolling up in armored cars and kicking off the Waco Memorial Race War. The government is actually being smart for once, yes it sucks that these white idiots are getting treated more gently than OWS/BLM protesters but as someone said earlier:

yeah it's a little disturbing how many people are correctly identifying the racial disparity in dealing with peaceful protests and come to the conclusion "i wish the police would treat these white guys as harshly as they treat black guys" instead of "i wish the police would treat black guys as gently as they treat white guys"

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Looks like the Bundy Bro's have occupied another building.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

LGD posted:

Sure, but I don't see why those consequences would be substantially different from what usually happens (or we feel should happen) when people illegally occupy a public space (such as a park or campus building) as a means of political protest and civil disobedience. Waiting them out and then hitting a few of the ringleaders with a couple trespassing or vandalism charges seems perfectly appropriate.

Well usually those other protests aren't outright armed sedition by the groups' own words. So that's one difference.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

The standoff is only 4 days old and already infighting is threatening to destroy the thread.
Someone please send snacks, we're hungry!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

well when these dudes take up arms against the government i might agree with you

So what are they doing then?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

LeoMarr posted:

Looks like the Bundy Bro's have occupied another building.

Someone's house?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Yes, that is indeed what you are saying. I understand perfectly well that the outcome of the first "protest" informed their decision to start the second and not that they just happened to be there by coincidence.

You're getting low effort trolled real hard right now.

Anyway, I think we should probably just wait it out, but blockade the roads, and then arrest people when they leave.

Thanks for reading my post, I hope you enjoyed it.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

CommieGIR posted:

Someone's house?

Looks like a local residents house was just "liberated". CNN posted a picture of the inside of the house, Apparently they stripped off the wood finish. of the flooring.
Before:

After:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

What could the Bundy ranch militia be charged with? Is there any recording of them pointing weapons at law enforcement? I know some guy bragged that he did but it'd be hard to convict just based on that.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

CommieGIR posted:

Someone's house?

https://youtu.be/taBYlRvYU5I

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

LeoMarr posted:

Looks like a local residents house was just "liberated". CNN posted a picture of the inside of the house, Apparently they stripped off the wood finish. of the flooring.
Before:

After:

If the homeowner didn't volunteer this for them, I hope the Feds start looking at this in a different light.

Is that the house of load-bearing drywall?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Flavahbeast posted:

What could the Bundy ranch militia be charged with? Is there any recording of them pointing weapons at law enforcement? I know some guy bragged that he did but it'd be hard to convict just based on that.

Sowing Discontent.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Also we can't raid yet, not before PETA shows up.

http://www.peta.org/blog/vegan-jerky-to-be-hand-delivered-to-oregon-cattle-ranching-militia/ posted:

Vegan Jerky To Be Hand-Delivered to Oregon Cattle-Ranching Militia

The militant cattle ranchers currently occupying Malheur National Wildlife Refuge have appealed for snacks, and PETA is answering the call with a hand-delivered package of vegan jerky that contains more protein than beef does. The PETA staffers, who will bear signs reading, “The End (of Animal Agriculture) Is Nigh: Get Out Now!” are suggesting that militia members learn to raise crops, not cows—allowing the many species of wild animals the refuge was designed to protect to thrive.

“People from all walks of life are increasingly appalled by the idea of slaughtering animals and realize, too, the harmful impact that animal agriculture has on the environment, so it’s time to face facts,” says PETA President Ingrid Newkirk. “These ranchers may have a beef with the feds, but their water use and the cattle’s production of methane mean that the world needs them to get out of the beef business.”

As PETA notes, the Worldwatch Institute estimates that animal agriculture is responsible for 51 percent of human-caused greenhouse-gas emissions and the University of Chicago determined that switching to a vegan diet is more effective in countering climate change than switching from a standard American car to a hybrid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

LeoMarr posted:

Before:

After:

In a tragic case of stockholm syndrome, the homeowner has joined up with the militia and began building a series of trenches to defend against the eventual raid

• Locked thread