Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Some loving chuckleheads decided it would be a wonderful idea to define a more specific route upstream from my core that just happened to be the subnet that my dhcp server is on. I've been at work since 5 am this morning figuring out and cleaning that mess up.

gently caress corporate engineers, enjoy that P1 ticket on your head buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Minor quibbles pissing me off: My laptop for work doesn't have an option to enable num-lock on startup.

This gets really annoying quickly.

Thinkpad E550 for anyone who knows how to fix this.

Things actually pissing me off: They gave me a "temp" password to log into my account, which they then won't let me change, or they might but it won't let me and just tells me it doesn't meet the complexity requirements, which it doesn't tell me what they are in the first place.

Computer security :downs:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
loving printers. I have a Xerox at a client saying it needs to have the maintenance kit replaced, but no sales people (reps, xerox sales, third party...) can tell me what the hell that is. Apparently Xerox doesn't even have a product/part number for it? So I've been on the phone for most of the morning chasing people around between Xerox support and people claiming to sell this goddamn thing. What in the gently caress.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

ChubbyThePhat posted:

loving printers. I have a Xerox at a client saying it needs to have the maintenance kit replaced, but no sales people (reps, xerox sales, third party...) can tell me what the hell that is. Apparently Xerox doesn't even have a product/part number for it? So I've been on the phone for most of the morning chasing people around between Xerox support and people claiming to sell this goddamn thing. What in the gently caress.
This is why you always lease printers, and keep a maintenance contract.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think a maintenance kit for a Xerox consists of a new set of rollers and a fuser. Perhaps a new imaging unit if it's a colour machine. For solid ink its a new roller thing that soaks up unwanted ink.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Migishu posted:

Minor quibbles pissing me off: My laptop for work doesn't have an option to enable num-lock on startup.

This gets really annoying quickly.

Thinkpad E550 for anyone who knows how to fix this.

Things actually pissing me off: They gave me a "temp" password to log into my account, which they then won't let me change, or they might but it won't let me and just tells me it doesn't meet the complexity requirements, which it doesn't tell me what they are in the first place.

I think you need to wait one day before resetting it? Password resets are weird sometimes.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Migishu posted:

This is for an AD account? The default minimum password age is 1 day, to stop you from circumventing the password history requirement by changing your password 10 times to cycle it back to the original one.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004
Of course, if they just checked the box that makes you change it the next time you log in this wouldn't be a problem.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

vibur posted:

Of course, if they just checked the box that makes you change it the next time you log in this wouldn't be a problem.

Should always have that box checked by default anyway. People won't change their passwords on their own from the temp password unless you force them.

Also AD standards reqs are 7+ chars, 1 up, 1 low, 1 num or sym. Companies can make the requirements higher from there.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
It would really be nice if when it gives the "not complex enough" error it would actually tell you what the requirements are. Nothing less fun than having to guess how complex I need to make a password when the standard format I tend to use doesn't work.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

vibur posted:

Depends on the situation. If you are connecting via RDP from an untrusted source (i.e. a machine that isn't on the same domain as the server you're trying to reach) then you won't be permitted to set a new password from the login prompt and will be kicked because it has expired.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Scikar posted:

Depends on the situation. If you are connecting via RDP from an untrusted source (i.e. a machine that isn't on the same domain as the server you're trying to reach) then you won't be permitted to set a new password from the login prompt and will be kicked because it has expired.

You can actually configure the RDP host to allow this. I don't remember exactly how it's done but you RDP in and instead of your RDP client trying to pass credentials, it connects you directly to the standard login screen as if you were sitting in front of a physical machine.

I set a server up like that and set the login script to log users off, so that remote people could set their password.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Spent an hour working on a Fax line issue in TYOOL 20015 2016 so far today. Mostly playing vendor tag and figuring out who owns the line since it's not documented (it is now).

The local number works fine without a problem, the 800 number rings and is picked up by the fax modem. The fax spits nothing out when you dial the 800 but works fine if you dial the local number. I was able to test and reproduce this. What the hell is going on?

I'm not even positive I found the right company I found a bill from November 2014 with the phone number on it, but I thought I found it when I had a bill from 2008 with the number on it. How many times have we switches providers for this fax line?

Ask HR? HR quit without notice, the new person has no idea it's her second day. Ask CFO? "Reoccurring bills under %magicnumber% are handled by HR".

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Jeoh posted:

I think you need to wait one day before resetting it? Password resets are weird sometimes.

Scikar posted:

This is for an AD account? The default minimum password age is 1 day, to stop you from circumventing the password history requirement by changing your password 10 times to cycle it back to the original one.

That's what I figured. No biggie, just kinda stupid that

vibur posted:

this wasn't done.

I know, with my old company, it would flat out tell you "you need to wait". So I was expecting that kind of error but it didn't show up so I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens tomorrow afternoon

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

pixaal posted:

Spent an hour working on a Fax line issue in TYOOL 20015 2016 so far today. Mostly playing vendor tag and figuring out who owns the line since it's not documented (it is now).

The local number works fine without a problem, the 800 number rings and is picked up by the fax modem. The fax spits nothing out when you dial the 800 but works fine if you dial the local number. I was able to test and reproduce this. What the hell is going on?

I'm not even positive I found the right company I found a bill from November 2014 with the phone number on it, but I thought I found it when I had a bill from 2008 with the number on it. How many times have we switches providers for this fax line?

Ask HR? HR quit without notice, the new person has no idea it's her second day. Ask CFO? "Reoccurring bills under %magicnumber% are handled by HR".

800 numbers are just forwarding services pointed at another number. If you dial the 800 number from your cell do you get a fax tone? If you do, is there anything weird that happens, like maybe the call is answered, then a second later you hear another ring and then the fax actually gets the call?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

800 numbers are just forwarding services pointed at another number. If you dial the 800 number from your cell do you get a fax tone? If you do, is there anything weird that happens, like maybe the call is answered, then a second later you hear another ring and then the fax actually gets the call?

If I call with a cellphone I get 3-4 rings then I get the fax modem picking up complete with screeching banshee wails. The 800 number has worked fine for years (apparently, I've only been here 6 months but it worked the entire time I've been here). It's been like this for "2 weeks" and they finally brought it to my attention.

Is fax modem the correct term? I don't know much about a fax beyond it's a printer that scans to another printer using a phoneline like the good old dial up days. This isn't a law office, we're manufacturing but for some reason sales reps love to send orders by fax! Apparently one got the bright idea of "I'll just scan it and email you, this is such a hassle".

Faxes logs list poor line condition errors on what I can piece together are the time stamps for the 800 dials and the local number ones are listed as "OK". I think something is up with the forwarding system and its outside my building. I mean it has to touch some piece of hardware when you dial an 800 number that calling the line directly wouldn't.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

pixaal posted:

If I call with a cellphone I get 3-4 rings then I get the fax modem picking up complete with screeching banshee wails. The 800 number has worked fine for years (apparently, I've only been here 6 months but it worked the entire time I've been here). It's been like this for "2 weeks" and they finally brought it to my attention.

Is fax modem the correct term? I don't know much about a fax beyond it's a printer that scans to another printer using a phoneline like the good old dial up days. This isn't a law office, we're manufacturing but for some reason sales reps love to send orders by fax! Apparently one got the bright idea of "I'll just scan it and email you, this is such a hassle".

Faxes logs list poor line condition errors on what I can piece together are the time stamps for the 800 dials and the local number ones are listed as "OK". I think something is up with the forwarding system and its outside my building. I mean it has to touch some piece of hardware when you dial an 800 number that calling the line directly wouldn't.

Just to be specific, call both the 800 and the direct, and see if they operate exactly the same. By exactly the same I mean with the same timing, number of rings, and everything.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Don't spend the best part of a year trying to convince a client to move to a new system that you think is hot poo poo, then shrug your shoulders when asked to do the implementation and dodge all support cases arising from getting what you wanted.

:fuckoff:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

pixaal posted:

It's probably a "fax machine," if it's got the whole scanner/printer setup. A "fax modem" is more akin to something like an e-fax over dialup.

If it were me, I'd say the fax machine is broken, and convert to an e-fax system. If you've got a telco, they can probably line you up with it; converts incoming faxes to emails, outgoing ones can be sent with a printer driver, cover sheet and all. Let the receptionist/admin assistant route faxes via email or file share, and you cut down on physical clutter and lost paperwork.

I did this for my office a few years ago (we were going through a fax machine every three years or so) and it has made stuff waaaaayyyy easier. We're a law office, though, so everything has to get logged, so it might be more trouble than it's worth for you.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The company I quit that decided I couldn't work from home anymore and wanted me to move to SanDiego for 80k a year is pulling out of the States and laying off their staff in the USA not even 6 months later.

Sounds like I made the right decision. :smug:

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 7, 2016

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
So I'm out of town this week to do a test and turn-up of circuits for a bunch of sites we acquired, along with rack equipment and get things ready for their new phones. However, we ran into a pretty significant problem, the new circuits aren't in yet. Also, it is likely only 1 or 2 could be in this week, and in many places the carrier is giving us some bonded T1 lines as a temporary thing. However, those aren't in yet either, and the equipment that was supposed to be overnighted yesterday won't show up until Friday.

Here is the craziest thing about this: we knew before going down that the circuits weren't going to be ready. We knew 2 weeks ago this wouldn't happen. But, here we are.

All of this comes from someone far up the corporate ladder picking an arbitrary date for when they want to go-live on these sites, then everyone trying to fit all our poo poo in. This is an even bigger problem when dealing with network carriers and the byzantine collective of LECs, and all the poo poo they have to deal with regarding getting permits and construction. Turns out when they ask for 60-90 days to get circuits in, they actually need that time in some cases, which is why its pretty stupid to pick a date. Next week another group will be onsite to setup computers, which they can't do without circuits, but they are still flying down. Why? Who knows, we must follow the schedule.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Ethernet handoff circuits especially can take upwards of 120 days to get installed. It sounds like the executive that made that call has no idea the time it takes to line up a greenfield turn-up (I presume you're treating it as such).

The pain of a network engineer....been there done that too many times. :(

Edit: Good loving luck getting anything in Brazil either. I've had a project on hold for over a year waiting for a DS3 in Brazil.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We get install and go-live dates before we have property leased

WE SIGNED THE LEASE ON MONDAY WHY CAN'T WE HAVE INTERNET ON FRIDAY

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ratbert90 posted:

I had a guy refuse to use Redmine because you have to click on new issue to start a new entry in a project, and it was tasks he wanted instead of issues because they weren't issues and oh god this is horrible why are you so bad at technology?

Ticket just came in. They don't want to listen.

1.Please setup the shared "Engineering tasks" list to automatically export to a .csv file each day. Please have the file export to the following directory:
H:\Engineering\Engineering\Project status\Shared task list backups
2. The file name should be the same as the example file located in the above referenced directory, with the date of export at the end.
3. attached is an image of the shared task list as it looks from my outlook account.

hoju22
May 3, 2006

Easy. You just don't lead 'em so much.
Things pissing me off: A two-fer.

New corporate overlords wants fingerprint scanner access to office. OK, no biggie, except I don't have access to that particular device. Explain to overlord I don't have access, but will try to get it, it's an informal process and shouldn't take terribly long. Overlord proceeds to hover over my desk for 15 minutes after the email is sent to the gatekeeper who controls access, who is also on vacation, as if I was bluffing about access and will crack or maybe magically hack my way into a supposedly very secure device. IDK.

Get email back from admin for the fingerprint device, 'You have access now.' Go to test it, my credentials don't work for that device still. Email gatekeeper to let him know it's still not working. When he comes back from vacation he asks me what I would like creds for the device to be...

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
at $JOB-1 we had some custom thing for doing projects and go-live dates for customers. Customers could look at their stuff in a portal, etc.

Teh week before I quit, I learned why timelines were always so stupid.

Project Managers would always tell me, "The system calculates project timelines and milestone dates! The system knows, i'm not supposed to change it!"

What would happen is, a project manager would put in a project start date, and an end "NEED-BY" date. Those dates could be anytime a month apart, which was our FASTEST turnaround time for a simple project.

So what people would do is, put in the start date, and the end date, and the software would "automatically" space out the intervals of each stage of the project.

For instance, if you started on JAN-1-16 and needed by FEB-1-16, and the project had 4 steps, it'd automatically give each of those 4 steps about 1 week.
The project managers were SUPPOSED to go in and adjust them for reality after talking to the engineers, but one rear end in a top hat got it in his head that "the system" was doing it automatically and WHO WAS HE to question THE SYSTEM!? Apparently after that, everyone started doing it that way, and refused to stop, even after the group that ran the portal specifically TOLD THEM that's not how it was supposed to work.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

nitrogen posted:

at $JOB-1 we had some custom thing for doing projects and go-live dates for customers. Customers could look at their stuff in a portal, etc.

Teh week before I quit, I learned why timelines were always so stupid.

Project Managers would always tell me, "The system calculates project timelines and milestone dates! The system knows, i'm not supposed to change it!"

What would happen is, a project manager would put in a project start date, and an end "NEED-BY" date. Those dates could be anytime a month apart, which was our FASTEST turnaround time for a simple project.

So what people would do is, put in the start date, and the end date, and the software would "automatically" space out the intervals of each stage of the project.

For instance, if you started on JAN-1-16 and needed by FEB-1-16, and the project had 4 steps, it'd automatically give each of those 4 steps about 1 week.
The project managers were SUPPOSED to go in and adjust them for reality after talking to the engineers, but one rear end in a top hat got it in his head that "the system" was doing it automatically and WHO WAS HE to question THE SYSTEM!? Apparently after that, everyone started doing it that way, and refused to stop, even after the group that ran the portal specifically TOLD THEM that's not how it was supposed to work.

It seems like he is letting the "program" do most of the work for him. He should look into getting an infosec job.

wanda
Dec 8, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

With Zend you can do it all in PHP!

HA. Even Perl is preferable to PHP for me personally.

Maybe I just like/am destined for pain. I've always liked Perl.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It never ceases to amaze me how utterly poo poo 'traditional' voice vendors are. Take this release note for the latest firmware for an Avaya conference phone:

https://downloads.avaya.com/css/P8/documents/101016887

quote:

Unresolved issues in B179 (2.4.0.22/2.4.0.23)

Conference call drops in either ~7-8 mins or in ~19-
20 mins if allow contact rewrite field is set to no

A conference phone that drops conference calls. Well done guys.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

It never ceases to amaze me how utterly poo poo 'traditional' voice vendors are. Take this release note for the latest firmware for an Avaya conference phone:

You have no idea how bad they really are. Especially with IP endpoints, which at this point have their firmware development contracted out to offshore companies. That assumes that the conference phone isn't a rebranded Polycom or something.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Nah it's an Avaya (Konftel) unit. The impression I get from Avaya is that they contract development work out to random offshore development teams on a per-project basis based on who is cheaper at that moment in time, so there is absolutely no consistency to the products, and no guarantees that a bug fix on one product line will result in the issue being fixed on another, since the codebases are most likely completely different. That's ignoring the amount of rebadged poo poo that is still being supported by the actual manufacturer but has long since been abandoned by Avaya.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

wanda posted:

HA. Even Perl is preferable to PHP for me personally.

Maybe I just like/am destined for pain. I've always liked Perl.

Perl was my first programming language (that I used professionally). I still have a soft spot in my heart for it.

Mootallica
Jun 28, 2005

SubjectVerbObject posted:

You have no idea how bad they really are. Especially with IP endpoints, which at this point have their firmware development contracted out to offshore companies. That assumes that the conference phone isn't a rebranded Polycom or something.

59308: A retransmitted INVITE message causes a “400 Bad Response” reply.

Thanks Polycom. Admittedly that is a fix is from 5 years ago, but we're still running phones using the firmware prior to that release.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Kirios posted:

Ethernet handoff circuits especially can take upwards of 120 days to get installed. It sounds like the executive that made that call has no idea the time it takes to line up a greenfield turn-up (I presume you're treating it as such).

The pain of a network engineer....been there done that too many times. :(

Edit: Good loving luck getting anything in Brazil either. I've had a project on hold for over a year waiting for a DS3 in Brazil.

Oddly enough, the only circuit in place and ready to go is a ethernet handoff. Its also in the smallest town. While onsite today, the guy who was put in the new connection was there doing some business and talked with us for awhile. Now if only the carrier we contract with understood the concept overnight shipping, we'd have a good connection there. The more I've found out on this project, the more I realize that the ball was dropped quite awhile ago and if a certain person had done their job, all the circuits would have been in a month or more ago.

Bob Morales posted:

We get install and go-live dates before we have property leased

WE SIGNED THE LEASE ON MONDAY WHY CAN'T WE HAVE INTERNET ON FRIDAY

Years ago, I was visiting one of our sites to do something, and I stopped to talk with the manager onsite to see if they had any problems or things they had questions about. He said everything was good there, but construction for some offices in a different building were going slower then planned. I thought it was weird I hadn't heard about a new office, but I'd been on the road a lot and thought I was just out of the loop. On the way home the next day, I stopped by our other IT facility and wanted to talk to some project managers about the new place. I asked the main PM, and he had no idea what I was talking about it. I let him call the manager and I headed for home. About 30m later, I got a call from the PM and it turned out this manager was not only heading up this project without talking to project managers and IT, he hadn't really even discussed it with his bosses.
Thankfully due to construction delays, the remodel was going so slow we were able to get a circuit in before they opened, but if they had opened as planned, they would have essentially brought their computers and phones into a building, plugged them in and got nothing. Which would have been an amazing call to the help desk. I still kinda regret telling the PM's about this, it would have been goddamn amazing.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Like half my job is overseeing various projects of clients that are only tangentially IT related because apparently I'm the only person in the area code that will talk to other parties and get them on the same page.

Oh well, hourly rate is hourly rate.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
poo poo pissing me off: Bullshit replies to a trouble ticket.

New SIP service, circuit is installed, enter IP info, ping the SIP gateway:
code:
ping mrvs.integra.net

Pinging dnvrsbc20.integra.net [67.51.82.100] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 67.51.82.100: bytes=32 time=1317ms TTL=59
Reply from 67.51.82.100: bytes=32 time=1544ms TTL=59
Request timed out.
Reply from 67.51.82.100: bytes=32 time=1439ms TTL=59
Escalate to level 3 tech, he and I don't get wtf is going on. Finally they call the sip gateway manufacturer (Oracle) who said, swear to god, "Ping latency isn't a good tool to use to test network speed and reliability with, our gateway is optimized for traffic other than ICMP and will often not answer or answer slowly, this is by design."

:wtf:

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Things pissing me off: Ricoh printers ...

For some reason, our Ricoh printers choke on certain pdf or excel files. It takes forever for them to print, queueing up everything else. Setting the pdf to print as image doesn't work. Printing the same pdf from a mac works instantly (PS driver). Involved Ricoh support and gave them some example files; their reply: "everything prints fine here". Well, that's just loving fine and dandy for you but it doesn't solve our issue. Next, they claim it's our network. Nope, because other stuff just prints fine. Also, the excel file in question is 380 KB and prints instantly on another printer.

A manager involved himself, and when I told him I was busy with other things too, he shared the following nugget with me: "There are important priorities, and there are urgent priorities". Well thanks for that, I guess.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

lodewijk posted:

Things pissing me off: Ricoh printers ...

For some reason, our Ricoh printers choke on certain pdf or excel files. It takes forever for them to print, queueing up everything else. Setting the pdf to print as image doesn't work. Printing the same pdf from a mac works instantly (PS driver). Involved Ricoh support and gave them some example files; their reply: "everything prints fine here". Well, that's just loving fine and dandy for you but it doesn't solve our issue. Next, they claim it's our network. Nope, because other stuff just prints fine. Also, the excel file in question is 380 KB and prints instantly on another printer.

A manager involved himself, and when I told him I was busy with other things too, he shared the following nugget with me: "There are important priorities, and there are urgent priorities". Well thanks for that, I guess.

I vaguely remember dealing with something similar in the past. I'll double check my notes and see if I can find the fix but I'm pretty sure it involved restarting the print spooler service on the computer that was slow to print.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

lodewijk posted:

Printers effect production! They are the most important thing!

Everyone in a company cares the most about printers they, and IT hates the drat things so much. What the hell are you printing? I saw someone exporting files to notepad changing the font so it would take less pages and print faster then comparing the files by hand. (30 pages of size 8 font for each of the two documents, 60 total!).

I showed them a txt comparison tool and they were "No I like this way better the colors confuse me". I get that a diff check isn't the most user friendly of things but it has to be easier then highlighting it and basically do the same thing. I don't even know what the document was fully I was there for a different issue and they were explaining how bullshit their task of finding the difference between the two documents was. Hey, I tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

pixaal posted:

I showed them a txt comparison tool and they were "No I like this way better the colors confuse me". I get that a diff check isn't the most user friendly of things but it has to be easier then highlighting it and basically do the same thing. I don't even know what the document was fully I was there for a different issue and they were explaining how bullshit their task of finding the difference between the two documents was. Hey, I tried.
Some people like it when simple tasks take a lot of time, because it gives them an excuse to say "Oh I'm so busy" when someone asks them to do something else. If you try to be helpful and make their tasks faster and easier, they'll actually see it as a threat to their job.