Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I have a memory when I was 3ish. I fell off and tumbled down the slide. I was shitscared of that one slide. By the time I started preschool it was replaced with plastic stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

goose fleet posted:

WHERE ARE THE DRUGS, WELFARE QUEEN. PISS INTO THIS CUP SO THAT WE CAN KNOW IF YOU'RE A DRUGGIE OR NOT. ANSWER: YOU ARE A DRUGGIE BECAUSE YOU'RE POOR. HOW'S THE CADILLAC WORKING OUT FOR YOU, HUH? BET YOU HAVE TWENTY OTHER KIDS YOU WANT US TO FEED, YOU LAZY BITCH. WHY DON'T YOU GET A REAL JOB. HA HA HA

amurica.txt

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

twistedmentat posted:

Oh dear god I hope this is a STDH and not some really hosed up attempt to get internet attention
http://imgur.com/gallery/GAj9x1P

Not sure how much it matters but I saw almost this exact story on 4chan one time. It was in one of the confession threads, it got a big reaction there too. At the very least, this person loves the big reaction.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

Decrepus posted:

Someone said at a house party that they remember being born. They remembered seeing the doctor and getting spanked and everything. As polite people do, we all nodded and said how amazing that was and then called them retarded when they weren't around.

I know someone who insists that they remember being born, including the part where they weren't breathing at first and had to be resuscitated. Then again, that person is 10 years old, and had to go pout when I called her out on it.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Palisader posted:

I know someone who insists that they remember being born, including the part where they weren't breathing at first and had to be resuscitated. Then again, that person is 10 years old, and had to go pout when I called her out on it.

We all have false memories. And I'm sure she's been told the story often enough that she "remembers" it herself.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I remember in the 90s Rosanne was on a talk show claiming she remembered being sexually abused in her crib. And it was common in the Satanic Panic of the 80s for people who were spreading the word claiming they remember as babies being involved in Satanic Rituals.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

This is why the ancient Geeks wouldn't allow eye witness testimony in their courts.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Fagtastic posted:

On the plus side, imgur makes it nice and easy to scroll straight to negatively rated comments

is there a button I'm missing? everytime a reasonably popular fp post has a ton of comments i have to scroll through autoloading comments, which is the most annoying thing you can do on the internet.

http://imgur.com/gallery/JS8FYep
also, why is there a black e-harmony but there's no white e-harmony?!?!?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

quadrophrenic posted:

Because even with modern data compression, there's only so many times you can fit the phrases "no drama, no games" and "lookin for a country boy" into your database without it getting all cost prohibitive

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Pastry of the Year posted:

Because even with modern data compression, there's only so many times you can fit the phrases "no drama, no games" and "lookin for a country boy" into your database without it getting all cost prohibitive

deduplication technology will save the day yet!

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
But in all seriousness, equality for all

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

quadrophrenic posted:

is there a button I'm missing? everytime a reasonably popular fp post has a ton of comments i have to scroll through autoloading comments, which is the most annoying thing you can do on the internet.

some dude posted:

I just ate a whole bag of Doritos

This is the correct response to this. If I had an imgur account I would respond to all stupid posts with that.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

TheMadMilkman posted:

We all have false memories. And I'm sure she's been told the story often enough that she "remembers" it herself.

I thought I could remember being 2, but I recently read that when your memory is super elastic and false memories are really, really common. So, I may not remember being 2, but I remember remembering being 2.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Memories are actually hilariously unreliable.

Did you know that iirc each time you recall a memory you move it from your brain's long term storage to its working memory? The latter is way less reliable and the memory always gets at least a little altered before being saved again in the long term memory. So every time you recall something, it drifts a bit more.

Which means that your favorite memories are also your wrongest.

:science:

Jim Flatline
Sep 23, 2015

Borden posted:

Are you sure you weren't 4 or 5? Everything from childhood just bleeds together. When you turn 3 your brains starts remembering experiences, even then it's pretty vague. Anyway. It's physically impossible for a 3 year old to climb inside a crib and flip a baby over then climb back out again.

No I was definitely 3, I even remember my 4th birthday

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Jim Flatline posted:

You have a very special brain.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
All of our memories are way less reliable than we think :ssh:

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Jim Flatline posted:

Some people retain very specific memories from a very young age. I have many, accurate memories from daycare at about 3. I specifically remember being three years old and wanting to be four. I remember the meals and the stupid potato chip sticks that they served for lunch. I remember my interactions with the people at my daycare that my parents verified. I remember a couple of memories from being just north of 2 that are very clear as well.

However, I also have memories that are complete bullshit that appear in my mind but others have said never happened. The mind is strange. My wife doesn't remember anything before she was 5. My kids can't remember poo poo that happened 30 seconds ago. But for some reason, I've been blessed with having detailed memory. I'm pretty sure that I remember my baptism at about 1, but it might be a fabricated memory. Who can say. I remember being very young and getting water up my nose and thinking, what did I do to deserve this? Maybe it was a different event.

/CSB

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

mostlygray posted:

Some people retain very specific memories from a very young age. I have many, accurate memories from daycare at about 3. I specifically remember being three years old and wanting to be four. I remember the meals and the stupid potato chip sticks that they served for lunch. I remember my interactions with the people at my daycare that my parents verified. I remember a couple of memories from being just north of 2 that are very clear as well.

However, I also have memories that are complete bullshit that appear in my mind but others have said never happened. The mind is strange. My wife doesn't remember anything before she was 5. My kids can't remember poo poo that happened 30 seconds ago. But for some reason, I've been blessed with having detailed memory. I'm pretty sure that I remember my baptism at about 1, but it might be a fabricated memory. Who can say. I remember being very young and getting water up my nose and thinking, what did I do to deserve this? Maybe it was a different event.

/CSB

I very clearly remember poo poo that happened when I was 3.

But checking my memory against people who I knew in high school, a mere 15 or so years ago, has proven that my memories are complete bullshit, so I rather think those memories of 33+ years ago are even more bullshit and I totally made them up, including the girl who I was convinced I was destined to marry.

Memory is bullshit, no matter how clearly you think it was and no matter how good everything could have been.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
My earliest memory is of my dad playing Super Mario Bros. 3, so I have no idea how accurate it is or when it was.

The first actual concrete memory I have is of my first day at school. Everything before that is basically just video games, because even as a baby I was a useless piece of poo poo.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Cleretic posted:

My earliest memory is of my dad playing Super Mario Bros. 3, so I have no idea how accurate it is or when it was.

The first actual concrete memory I have is of my first day at school. Everything before that is basically just video games, because even as a baby I was a useless piece of poo poo.

Babies, in general, are useless pieces of poo poo.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I remember the taste of my mother's milk...

(Lucy joke, not genuine creepiness)

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

BioEnchanted posted:

I remember the taste of my mother's milk...

(Lucy joke, not genuine creepiness)

That was probably the stupidest movie that I've really enjoyed.

Except for maybe Face/Off, but I will at least defend that movie. I have no defense for Lucy.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It manages to find an excuse for just having a montage of animals loving for two minutes. That alone is laudable.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Borden posted:

Are you sure you weren't 4 or 5? Everything from childhood just bleeds together. When you turn 3 your brains starts remembering experiences, even then it's pretty vague. Anyway. It's physically impossible for a 3 year old to climb inside a crib and flip a baby over then climb back out again.

I can clearly remember climbing out of my crib as a 3 year old, and I have memories of colouring my feet with textas in the 3 year olds room at child care. I also have a very small glimpse of a memory of my dad smoking at my cousins house. He stopped smoking before I could walk, dunno how old that is. That ones not much of a memory, its like an old faded photo in my mind, but still.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Can confirm that three-year-olds are capable of being loving ninjas with cribs. My nephew got a big-boy bed at three because there was no point in keeping him somewhere he constantly climbed out of.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
There are different types of memories, and typically the ability to form episodic memories - memories that retain the who/what/where/when - doesn't grow in until after toddlerhood, but it's not uncommon for an early one to form due to trauma or just the brain testing things out. In the totally-made-up-let's-hope scenario on imgur, it's possible he remembers his parents discovering the body since that's traumatic, but it would still likely be a false memory of actually flipping the baby over, since there was nothing special about that memory until after the fact.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Borden posted:

I remember waking up on my third birthday and thinking "It's my third birthday". but I don't remember anything else about the day - I assume i got pretty drunk.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Seen Baby's Day Out? Babies are fukken strong.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

mng posted:

Seen Disney's Hercules? Babies are fukken strong.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I remember waking up on my third birthday and thinking "It's my third birthday". but I don't remember anything else about the day - I assume i got pretty drunk.

Further evidence that babies are just tiny drunk people.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I very vividly remember making GBS threads myself extremely messily when I was 3. It's one of my earliest memories, actually. I'm talking like really, really bad. As in "don't even bother trying to salvage the pants" bad.

The other thing I remember from being 3 and 4 was failing to learn that touching hot things is a bad idea for an unreasonable amount of time.

That's my story.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I remember my family's swing set, the neighbor's pool, my dad patching a wall, and our basement stairs from when I was 3. They are very disjointed memories, however, and I can tell you that parts of them have changed. Like although I can remember playing on the stairs, the way they look is not based on the actual stairs we had. The wall patch memory is even worse. I remember it as a hole large enough that I could hide in it. In reality, it was a very small hole.

The swingset was pretty sweet, though.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I just checked with a panel of experts in childhood development and we all agree.

No one gives a poo poo what memories you idiots had.

http://imgur.com/gallery/HjqXDDp

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

kazil posted:

I just checked with a panel of experts in childhood development and we all agree.

This comment is amazing:

quote:

HGStormy 256 points : 4 replies : 14 hours ago reply
Well that's not the strangest thing I've seen today. I'd totally send you a mold of mine, but I don't think they make subatomic kits yet

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

kazil posted:

That GoFundMe is gonna hit its goal in a matter of minutes.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

kazil posted:

Someone else beat her to it.

Cynthia Plaster Caster

quote:

Cynthia Plaster Caster (born Cynthia Albritton on May 24, 1947) is an American artist and self-described "recovering groupie" who creates plaster casts of famous persons' erect penises and breasts.

Albritton began her career in 1968 by casting penises of rock musicians. She later expanded her subjects to include filmmakers and other types of artists. By 2000 she had begun casting female artists' breasts.

A Classy Ghost
Jul 21, 2003

this wine has a fantastic booquet

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Further evidence that babies are just tiny drunk people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cds7lSHawAw

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

This image, which is clearly a photoshoot, warranted this line of commenting.

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Idiots on Imgur: JewsControlTheMediaButIDC

• Locked thread