Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

A.o.D. posted:

Well, no matter what, it's not fast, but I like the idea of 4x ASRM6.

Just to be clear, since this is now Assault chat time, if I was relying on those four launchers as my primary source of damage, would I be a waste of 90 tons? I really like the Mauler from past games, and I like SRMs, and I was thinking about sticking a STD325 to run at its top speed while belting out just under 9 sustained DPS/63 alpha (with two added MPLs) from weapons located literally in a collar around the cockpit. With maybe four MGs because four of them and two tons of ammo neatly eats the remaining weight and scattered slots after overloading SRM ammo- I'm not expecting them to be critical hit killers, but I might as well cause a lot of extra light and noise when charging. It wouldn't cost much more to upgrade to the Mauler tier from where I'm at, plus the bonus items, but I don't want to do it if it's a particularly poor use of the weight.

Pattonesque posted:

Tier 3 is schizophrenic because some games you run up against the mega-tryhards and other games you could take on all 12 enemies by yourself

So far tier 3 for me has just been a spike in the number of idiots berating the team for their death when they're in a heavy LRM boat or a solo-charging Atlas expecting the pub queue tactics to mirror their elite unit strats.

Sard fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Any goons have both a Mauler and a King Crab? Which one handles a brawl better? I don't know which one to go after. I'm inclined to go for the Mauler but idk, tough choice.

My smurfy research indicates that they'll go similar speeds with similar payloads because the Maulers engines are smaller.

For example.
KGC-000B

MAL-1P

That's only .5 ton difference.

Armor/structure ends up being fairly similar too, as the Mauler has a 10 point bonus to Structure on it's torso's where the KC just gets arm armor.

Even quirks end up being similar with MAL winning in variety and quantity.

KGC-000:
AC/20 COOLDOWN: 5.00 %
BALLISTIC COOLDOWN: 10.00 %
BALLISTIC VELOCITY: 15.00 %
ENERGY COOLDOWN: 10.00 %
TORSO TURN RATE (YAW): 25.00 %
ADDITIONAL ARMOR (ARMs): 17.00

MAL-MX90:
ADDITIONAL STRUCTURE (TORSOs): 10.00
TORSO TURN RATE (YAW): 10.00 %
TORSO TURN RATE (PITCH): 10.00 %
BALLISTIC RANGE: 25.00 %
BALLISTIC HEAT GENERATION: -10.00 %
BALLISTIC VELOCITY: 25.00 %
MISSILE COOLDOWN: 10.00 %
MISSILE VELOCITY: 10.00 %
TURN RATE: 5.00 %

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
This could just be talking out of my rear end but I feel like the King Crab doesn't brawl as well as my humanoid Assaults. Torso twisting does not feel as effective because of it's profile.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Super 3 posted:

This could just be talking out of my rear end but I feel like the King Crab doesn't brawl as well as my humanoid Assaults. Torso twisting does not feel as effective because of it's profile.

I do believe the humanoid shaped mechs have better hitboxes.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
King Crab works best when it's at about 4-500 meters blasting away with its cannons and forcing enemy mechs to back down. In a brawl it doesn't have the hitboxes/quirks to really stand up

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

King Crabs are okay brawlers if you do the whole "dead side" thing, but otherwise they're kind of flimsy in CQC since their general shape is so awkward and their arms don't do a thing to help. Like was mentioned, they're way better at mid range.

That said, the Atlas is sturdier but has terrible torso pitch, which sucks sometimes. I'd love to see that get un-hosed.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Sard posted:

mauler stuff

No, 4 ASRM6 is not a waste of tonnage. It's the primary weapon system on an AS7-S (NOT the ac/20!), and the primary guns on brawl fit timberwolves. The biggest points against them is that you're nowhere near as tough as an atlas, nor can you move like a twolf. In this case, the main points against putting them on a mauler is the chassis, not the weapon system. However, If I had maulers, I would totally have a 4xasrm bot.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Speaking of King Crabs, does anyone know what the hit boxes for the top of the mech are like? I feel like I take more CT damage if I look down at all while twisting, and I was wondering if the CT box makes up more of the top slope of it.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Pretty sure it counts as part of the CT hitbox, tilting down into incoming fire really doesn't do a whole lot.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Super 3 posted:

The Krab is also incredibly wide which makes moving around other mechs problematic.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
best I can find on KC hitboxes

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Eldragon posted:

Link to the build? I'm curious.

SHD-2D2

90kph murder machine.

Can't play it like a centurion at all or you will get wrecked.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
The more I play Mediums and heavies and less I like about Assaults. They have their benefits, but I prefer the speed of mediums and the beefiness/mobility of heavies. The marauder and thunderbolt are spoiling me.

Think I might sell the KGC and put the CB towards a new medium.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Washout posted:

SHD-2D2

90kph murder machine.

Can't play it like a centurion at all or you will get wrecked.

If you insist on being a loving bad, at least use a loadout like this

Less lovely SHD-2D2

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Stringbean posted:

The more I play Mediums and heavies and less I like about Assaults. They have their benefits, but I prefer the speed of mediums and the beefiness/mobility of heavies. The marauder and thunderbolt are spoiling me.

People love the king crab for some reason, it's slow as poo poo and the weapons are all really low, it's really a garbage newbie trap imo. BNC-3E does dakka better and atlas is a better brawler. It can fight off lights but that's about it, it's such an easy target to hit that you will probably lose in any brawling situation.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Stringbean posted:

This is basically the habit I fell into as I played around with different weight classes. Assaults just give up too much mobility for me to really enjoy them, especially when I can roam about in my Cauldy at medium mech speeds and blast autocannons all over folks or drill them with lasers on my Thunderbolts.

And exploding folks with the SRM Griffins is just plain fun.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Washout posted:

People love the king crab for some reason,

it looks cool and has THE CLAMPS

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Stringbean posted:

The more I play Mediums and heavies and less I like about Assaults. They have their benefits, but I prefer the speed of mediums.

I absolutely agree. After utilizing the Shadow Cat's mega jump jets to be more mobile than loving any other mech in the game, I just cannot go back to anything else because it's just so boring.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Please do not treat a King Crab like an Atlas

It is fun brawling but it is really good at being a big gently caress you turret behind an Atlas.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I like playing assaults because I like knowing other people in my team are having fun

If everyone's shooting me, you guys get to shoot!

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

ZenVulgarity posted:

Please do not treat a King Crab like an Atlas

It is fun brawling but it is really good at being a big gently caress you turret behind an Atlas.

That's how I played my KGC. But that's not my favorite way to play. Turns out I like to shoot people in the face at point blank range.

e: if I do get another Assault, it'll probably be an Atlas for the exact reason above.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

ZenVulgarity posted:

I like playing assaults because I like knowing other people in my team are having fun

If everyone's shooting me, you guys get to shoot!

your sacrifice is noted and appreciated

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
some assaults push with armor like the Atlas, others push with guns like the King Crab or Dire Wolf

either way is cool and fun to play

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Washout posted:

People love the king crab for some reason, it's slow as poo poo and the weapons are all really low, it's really a garbage newbie trap imo. BNC-3E does dakka better and atlas is a better brawler. It can fight off lights but that's about it, it's such an easy target to hit that you will probably lose in any brawling situation.

But it's the only mech that you can use to 'Giv'em the CLAMPS'

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

some assaults push with armor like the Atlas, others push with guns like the King Crab or Dire Wolf

either way is cool and fun to play

This is a cool and good post

Although god help anyone near a quad srm ac20 atlas on a push

The first robbit around the corner is loving dead it seems

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Washout posted:

The Banshe cannot match the dakacrab.

The dual AC/20 king crab is a bad gimmic but the quad uac build is an earth shattering monster that can win brawls through sheer volume of fire. It also has a powerful mid-range aspect that the atlas cannot match.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Super 3 posted:

But it's the only mech that you can use to 'Giv'em the CLAMPS'

Not true. There regular crab can put a crimp on things as well.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

ZenVulgarity posted:

This is a cool and good post

Although god help anyone near a quad srm ac20 atlas on a push

The first robbit around the corner is loving dead it seems

yeah it's a beast

the best part is that sometimes if the initial push is good enough, you can actually push through to cover and survive as an Atlas with all your weapons intact

then you're an intact Atlas and everyone on the opposing team is a) open and b) not able to focus you anymore

so it's like BOOM *kill* *twist* BOOM *kill* twist*

Astroniomix posted:

The Banshe cannot match the dakacrab.

The dual AC/20 king crab is a bad gimmic but the quad uac build is an earth shattering monster that can win brawls through sheer volume of fire. It also has a powerful mid-range aspect that the atlas cannot match.

They do the same thing but they have different uses. The Crab's mounts are all super low but it has more of them, while the Banshee's are all high-mounted and on one side

So you can utilize cover better with the Banshee, but the Crab is better at fully committing

Pattonesque fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 6, 2016

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Pattonesque posted:

yeah it's a beast

the best part is that sometimes if the initial push is good enough, you can actually push through to cover and survive as an Atlas with all your weapons intact

then you're an intact Atlas and everyone on the opposing team is a) open and b) not able to focus you anymore

so it's like BOOM *kill* *twist* BOOM *kill* twist*

Those are the best matches. Those or when you catch an enemy push on their flank as an Atlas. I enjoy when the match ends and I am a just a cockpit, orange torso and some legs.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Pattonesque posted:

one thing that is important to consider in an assault (especially in an Atlas) is that sometimes you will have a low-damage game where you die first and the fact that you did so won the game for your team

Cannot quote this enough. One match where I definitely won it "For the team" was on forest colony. I was in my AC20 4xSRM6 Atlas. Our team and theirs were seperated by about 300 meters and a hillock doing that peak and poke faggotry that pubbies are wont to do with a small contingent of goons joining in. Thanks to lights I saw where the enemy pubs were all grouped up and marched my Atlas the long way around to them so I'd be facing some butts (I'd have had an awkward time coming in the front due to hills/terrain/etc, basically a straight push would have lead us to be picked apart). So I ran up the enemy teams butts and fired off a couple of salvos as a "Hey, guess what an assault is here!" the entire team turned to face me, at which point our team managed to limp over the broken terrain and get buttshots on pretty much their entire team.

I managed to completely neuter a direwolf before blowing up. But by the time they finished killing me, 6 of them had gone down to buttshots from our team.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Pattonesque posted:

They do the same thing but they have different uses. The Crab's mounts are all super low but it has more of them, while the Banshee's are all high-mounted and on one side

So you can utilize cover better with the Banshee, but the Crab is better at fully committing

The banshee is at best 50% of a king crab, they just have drastically different roles.

(banshee is a great mech but it's better for poking than a sustained firefight)

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Bait and Swatch posted:

Those are the best matches. Those or when you catch an enemy push on their flank as an Atlas. I enjoy when the match ends and I am a just a cockpit, orange torso and some legs.

I enjoy running around the team when my arms are gone but everyone still definitely needs to kill the big fucker

And then my team gets all the buttshots

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Rhymenoserous posted:

Cannot quote this enough. One match where I definitely won it "For the team" was on forest colony. I was in my AC20 4xSRM6 Atlas. Our team and theirs were seperated by about 300 meters and a hillock doing that peak and poke faggotry that pubbies are wont to do with a small contingent of goons joining in. Thanks to lights I saw where the enemy pubs were all grouped up and marched my Atlas the long way around to them so I'd be facing some butts (I'd have had an awkward time coming in the front due to hills/terrain/etc, basically a straight push would have lead us to be picked apart). So I ran up the enemy teams butts and fired off a couple of salvos as a "Hey, guess what an assault is here!" the entire team turned to face me, at which point our team managed to limp over the broken terrain and get buttshots on pretty much their entire team.

I managed to completely neuter a direwolf before blowing up. But by the time they finished killing me, 6 of them had gone down to buttshots from our team.

One thing I wish I'd see more is light pilots actually scouting, running behind enemy lances and turning them around pre-push, instead of sitting behind the lance and trying to hawk kills.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Willfrey posted:

One thing I wish I'd see more is light pilots actually scouting, running behind enemy lances and turning them around pre-push, instead of sitting behind the lance and trying to hawk kills.

the problem is that any flanking maneuver is pretty high risk and requires good timing amongst the entire team to pull off. otherwise the flanking units will get utterly reamed for no gains whatsoever and even in full goon groups it's rarely pulled off

and then sometimes your lights will do this to a team that is good enough to where they just flatout wreck your lights through a quick burst of concentrated fire and then go about their business.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Willfrey posted:

Average pubbie matches are too defensive to really press forward and take advantage of this sadly.

And I always find it odd when its a conquest match and one of the first things I hear over VOIP is "Alright which of you assholes picked conquest?"

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

nothing odd about it. pubbies hate any game mode that actually encourages/forces them to actively move around.

game has a very moba-like feel to it a lot of the time in that regard, wherein people will often just wait to capitalize on others taking actions that they themselves are too cowardly to take

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Oh Snapple! posted:

the problem is that any flanking maneuver is pretty high risk and requires good timing amongst the entire team to pull off. otherwise the flanking units will get utterly reamed for no gains whatsoever and even in full goon groups it's rarely pulled off

and then sometimes your lights will do this to a team that is good enough to where they just flatout wreck your lights through a quick burst of concentrated fire and then go about their business.

Oh Snapple! posted:

nothing odd about it. pubbies hate any game mode that actually encourages/forces them to actively move around.

game has a very moba-like feel to it a lot of the time in that regard, wherein people will often just wait to capitalize on others taking actions that they themselves are too cowardly to take

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Oh Snapple! posted:

I wondered why so much of the player base absolutely loves skirmish, makes sense since they just want to play peek-a-boo.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Willfrey posted:

:thumbsup: so in other words you want to play with me more often

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EduardoEspecial
Dec 12, 2011

Dangerously Dexterous Dongs
I want to shoot lasers at giant robots. Any chance of getting an invite or something? My in game is Cocktopus.

• Locked thread