Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Sleeveless posted:

True to its name, The Dead Linger is dead but will continue to linger on Steam, soaking up purchases from people who don't know any better since they never actually removed the game from Early Access.

Or at least, that's what would have happened if Steam hadn't gotten wise and completely removed the game from their store. Nice to see they're taking at least some action against people who are taking the money and running :toot:

"yeah so what i hired a bunch of people and only paid some of them for their work. they knew what they were getting into and i told them what was going on. i dont understand why they would be mad!

lets move on and talk about stuff that i did have control over and drop the ball on...."

whaaaat hahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Skyridge posted:

I must be crazy because that looks perfectly reasonable to me, if a bit too "everything but the kitchen sink" ish

Except he's done nothing to show that he's capable of actually producing anything like what he's advertising. The only image shown in the page is the company name - none of the expensive drawings and models he claims to have.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Cockmaster posted:

Except he's done nothing to show that he's capable of actually producing anything like what he's advertising. The only image shown in the page is the company name - none of the expensive drawings and models he claims to have.

I was responding to the guy saying the product description was sad. I was not trying to imply anything about the guys competence to actually deliver on the product.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I know just what car that seat belt would be perfect for.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2016/01/07/a-conversation-with-the-man-behind-the-ambitious-200000-star-wars-rpg-kickstarter.aspx

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1793481042/star-wars-open-world-rpg/posts/1461250

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

It's like some sort of industry-level Doobie-ing. Where's the Noni post that sparked this?

sub supau has a new favorite as of 03:00 on Jan 8, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

It died as it lived - pathetically.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Skyridge posted:

I was responding to the guy saying the product description was sad. I was not trying to imply anything about the guys competence to actually deliver on the product.

I said it was sad because none of the functions it advertised would improve survival during a crash. There's the bullshit gel padding, and the automatic emergency call, the latter already existing, and the former being useless.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I feel a bit of joy every time some nerd infringes on copyright and then gets shut down.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I feel a bit of joy every time some nerd infringes on copyright and then gets shut down.

Hey big guy.

Dim the lights and put on some mood music.

I got something for you.

It's got nerds, hubris, grift, and a massive nerd copyright smackdown.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...m-a6791126.html

(the producer/"star" of the "fan film" was apparently paying himself a six-figure salary, they used funds to purchase and set up a permanent for-profit studio space, and they were SELLING BRANDED COFFEE with a "portion" of the purchase going towards the production of the "fan film.")

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah I heard about that.

Lold hard when I saw the AV club was defending the rights of these plucky copyright infringers independent filmmakers :qq:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Otisburg posted:

Hey big guy.

Dim the lights and put on some mood music.

I got something for you.

It's got nerds, hubris, grift, and a massive nerd copyright smackdown.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...m-a6791126.html

(the producer/"star" of the "fan film" was apparently paying himself a six-figure salary, they used funds to purchase and set up a permanent for-profit studio space, and they were SELLING BRANDED COFFEE with a "portion" of the purchase going towards the production of the "fan film.")

bean me up, scotty

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Here's another case of reinventing a square wheel: http://www.keymouse.com/

You're supposed to move the entire "keyboard" part as a mouse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ4ePQyulsk

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
I don't think that's so bad. If someone gets used to using it, it'll be faster than the conventional stuff. Not much different than other changes and innovations in typing in history.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, the videos look decent.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
That's kind of interesting. For data entry folks they never want to takes their fingers off the keyboard, so that might actually be good for them.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I personally think it's an abomination but I can totally see the use and surely there's some people that would totally prefer it.

Plus he made something that actually exists and works, which is worlds beyond the other poo poo in this thread.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That thing is like in the top 10% of KS in terms thought and effort put into it. But yeah just use a keyboard with a trackpoint, like god intended.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Collateral Damage posted:

I know someone who's severely physically handicapped, and they use something similar. Works well for them, I have to say.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

Pretty awesome. My right shoulder spends most of it's time in some hosed state from switching between keyboard and mouse constantly. This might fix that.

Plus, an ortholiniear dished key layout. best.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

xlevus posted:

Pretty awesome. My right shoulder spends most of it's time in some hosed state from switching between keyboard and mouse constantly. This might fix that.

Pretty sure it would get worse with this. Either the mouse part is too heavy, making mouse work much harder than it already is, or it is too light making keyword work much harder (to avoid the mouse part skidding around you'd have to constantly counter-act minor movement, tensing your shoulders more during typing).

Much better to integrate one of the stationary pointing devices (trackball, track point, track pad) into the keyboard. Or something like the Mouse Trapper from days of yore.

Turns out the company still exists and makes a modernized version as well.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

klafbang posted:

Pretty sure it would get worse with this. Either the mouse part is too heavy, making mouse work much harder than it already is, or it is too light making keyword work much harder (to avoid the mouse part skidding around you'd have to constantly counter-act minor movement, tensing your shoulders more during typing).

Much better to integrate one of the stationary pointing devices (trackball, track point, track pad) into the keyboard. Or something like the Mouse Trapper from days of yore.

Turns out the company still exists and makes a modernized version as well.
good points.

I've looked at those mouse bars before, but unfortunately they wouldn't work with my kinesis ergonomic keyboard (dish shaped like the key mouse).
My Ideal would be a nipple mouse embedded into the keyboard.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
Today I went to android-x86.org to work on getting Android running on my touchscreen laptop, and I found bold link posted on its home page saying "The "Console OS" is a scam which makes use of Android-x86 now. Please help to stop it.". In short, seems that the site's owner Chih-Wei Huang is accusing a Kickstarter campaign of stealing their work.

Console OS has 5,695 backers and raised $78,497.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mmv/console-os-dual-boot-android-remastered-for-the-pc
http://consoleos.com/

Coincidentally an SA Goon who says he was was working on the project has posted in YOSPOS denied Chih-Wei's allegations and says his demands aren't reasonable and that they'd tried to work with Chih-Wei but he wouldn't, etc.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3701664&pagenumber=182&perpage=40#post454253302

Who do I believe? I choose to believe Chih-Wei because android-x86.org had already given me a ton of free poo poo aiding me in my endeavor to get Android on my laptop (to supplement Win 10). Sure, it hasn't been all that successful; my installation doesn't work well at all but it boots and some of its apps run. For $0. But Console OS got $78,497. Yet there's no guarantee that it'll help me at all.

Maybe I'm being judgmental, but the $$s don't seem to add up. :shrug:

EDIT:
I created a Console OS account to see if it works, and creating an account is required to download. Fair enough. After doing so I get this screen implying that there's plans to sell things at some point.

And the download link doesn't work :/

Ema Nymton has a new favorite as of 05:46 on Jan 11, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If he didn't want people to use his work like that, he could have put it under a license that forbids it. (To the extent permitted by the huge amount of code he's using from Android, of course.)

People making money off open source software is neither novel nor immoral.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Subjunctive posted:

If he didn't want people to use his work like that, he could have put it under a license that forbids it. (To the extent permitted by the huge amount of code he's using from Android, of course.)

People making money off open source software is neither novel nor immoral.

He doesn't have an issue with them profiting from his work, he has an issue with how. Specifically that they took the open source code, changed a few strings, and claimed it as 70% written by them.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

senrath posted:

He doesn't have an issue with them profiting from his work, he has an issue with how. Specifically that they took the open source code, changed a few strings, and claimed it as 70% written by them.
That's usually how open-source turns out.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

senrath posted:

More than that, the Console OS guy claimed to have coded significant new features that got 'rejected' by upstream. Chih-Wei offered them $50,000 to show the code for 10 of the "over 100" features the kickstarter promised, and they refused with some BS excuse.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

here's my question. if you wanted to put all the time and effort into making a game or film why wouldn't you make something original out of your brain not an existing property.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Could be a lot of things. On the less cynical side of things it could be a desire to be a part of something you've always loved. On the more cynical side of things, it's often easier to get someone interested in an already established property than trying to pitch a new one. People who already like the property in question will give it a shot when they would otherwise pass on it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Could be you're a hack nerd.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Well, yeah, there's also that. Not having the creativity to make a work stand without borrowing heavily from an established franchise is another reason.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Groovelord Neato posted:

here's my question. if you wanted to put all the time and effort into making a game or film why wouldn't you make something original out of your brain not an existing property.

As Kickstarter has o amply demonstrated, people care way more about sequels and established IPs than original content. Making a lovely Megaman fan film will get you a ton of links while a lovely original movie about a robot man will languish on Vimeo with a four-digit view count.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sleeveless posted:

As Kickstarter has o amply demonstrated, people care way more about sequels and established IPs than original content. Making a lovely Megaman fan film will get you a ton of links while a lovely original movie about a robot man will languish on Vimeo with a four-digit view count.

Which is why the lack of coverage for The Goon movie disappointed me.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Unfunny Poster posted:

Which is why the lack of coverage for The Goon movie disappointed me.

It might have helped if they actually put their sizzle reel online instead of keeping it under lock and key. The teaser they put online before that looked promising.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sleeveless posted:

it's weird cuz i can understand when a creator is making a ripoff of what made him famous despite nothing to show for the kickstarter/obviously going to be terrible (mighty no 9, castlevania, shenmue 3) because nerds are stupid and give you millions sight unseen but it's just weird not to want to create something original as opposed to a fan film/game/etc when you're not famous from some old IP.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's weird cuz i can understand when a creator is making a ripoff of what made him famous despite nothing to show for the kickstarter/obviously going to be terrible (mighty no 9, castlevania, shenmue 3) because nerds are stupid and give you millions sight unseen but it's just weird not to want to create something original as opposed to a fan film/game/etc when you're not famous from some old IP.

Because fandom is terrible and one of the most powerful influences in the universe.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I feel sort of bad sharing this because I'm sure his heart is in the right place, but good god, what kind of moron manufactures bicycles in New York City to ship to East Africa?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/321294669/pedal-forward-bamboo-bicycles-for-all?ref=nav_search

A loving $500 bike, too.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

"Let's save East Africa with an artisanal fixie that costs half a grand a pop."

Hipsters are beyond parody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Xandu posted:

I feel sort of bad sharing this because I'm sure his heart is in the right place, but good god, what kind of moron manufactures bicycles in New York City to ship to East Africa?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/321294669/pedal-forward-bamboo-bicycles-for-all?ref=nav_search

A loving $500 bike, too.

I think they eventually want to setup bamboo bike plants in africa or something ?