Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Discendo Vox posted:

It appears that local opinion is swaying in favor of the militants- that or substantial numbers in the audience are actually sympathizers/supporters from out of town.

what sucks is that these clowns will be hailed as heroes in their local community. they will get a slap on the wrist from sheriff and the judge along with wink from both of them. maybe the feds will hit the bundy brothers with a few felonies but then they will become local folk heroes or some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Or just wait til they get bored and leave, then fine for damages.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

emptyspace posted:

They've already admitted to driving around in gov't trucks with keys they found. At a minimum, that's burglary of a vehicle, unlawful use, or grand theft auto. I guess the problem would be figuring out who was actually driving the trucks.

But aside from the trucks, they've entered a building that doesn't belong to them without permission. That's burglary. The county can charge them with that if they want. Armed/aggravated burglary for the ones carrying guns. The county could charge them if they wanted to. Whether they want to or not is up in the air, but this doesn't really require federal charges.

They haven't taken the trucks anywhere so that would probably just be joyriding.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what sucks is that these clowns will be hailed as heroes in their local community. they will get a slap on the wrist from sheriff and the judge along with wink from both of them. maybe the feds will hit the bundy brothers with a few felonies but then they will become local folk heroes or some poo poo.

This is unlikely. Almost all of the occupiers are from out of state, and the town had previously turned against them when they did this off the back of a nonviolent protest in a nearby town.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Nevvy Z posted:

Or just wait til they get bored and leave, then fine for damages.

Oh man, can't wait for the look on Obama's face when they bill him $100 billion/1 oz of silver as a sov cit fee for charging them with a crime. Owned.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

LGD posted:

Sure, but I don't see why those consequences would be substantially different from what usually happens (or we feel should happen) when people illegally occupy a public space (such as a park or campus building) as a means of political protest and civil disobedience. Waiting them out and then hitting a few of the ringleaders with a couple trespassing or vandalism charges seems perfectly appropriate.

buttcoinbrony posted:

Yes they should be arrested but crimes don't exist in a vacuum. If we can wait for them to run out of snacks then arrest them quietly one by one that is far better than rolling up in armored cars and kicking off the Waco Memorial Race War. The government is actually being smart for once, yes it sucks that these white idiots are getting treated more gently than OWS/BLM protesters but as someone said earlier:

SocketWrench posted:

To add insult to injury, after they've broken, the feds start mailing out letters to them for fines of trespassing, vandalism, and whatever else

The issue isn't that people want a raid to happen for redneck blood, the issue is that the "and a couple of months afterwards they will be arrested or fined" never happens. In the Bundy Ranch incident people literally threatened reporters and townsfolk and there were no arrests or fines, everyone just went home realizing that they can do whatever the gently caress they want with no consequences at all.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

They've gone full sovereign citizen

quote:

January 5, 2016

Dear Sheriff David Ward
Harney County, Oregon

In light of the ongoing protest as a result of the oppression of many in your county, I would like to share my thoughts and offer my assistance regarding your involvement in this matter.

You put yourself up and presented yourself to run for the elected office of Sheriff, You have been elected by the good citizens of Harney County and made an oath to them to protect their Lives, Liberties and Property. As a sworn protector, You promised them that you would protect them from enemies both foreign and domestic. You promised and assured them that you would support and defend the U.S. Constitution. You solemnly swore and entered into an oath before God and the people that you would uphold these promises.

Sheriff, your oath was not made to the federal government nor any of their corporate entities such as the BLM or Forest Service etc. This oath was quite the contrary that created a Sacred duty, to serve, protect and defend every single one of your citizens like a hen protects her chicks against all threats. Don’t forget who your boss is, we the people of Harney County. For the sheriff to allow anyone or anything to violate the rights of his people, We The People, is a dereliction of duty of the highest order.

I must ask, what happened to the protection the Hammond family did not receive? Where were you when a foreign entity not having any constitutional power, authority and jurisdiction within your county abused your citizens? Imprisoned them, restricted them from using there resources to make a living, ruining their way of life and violating their customs and culture and charging them with heavy fines. These were the people you swore before God and the people to protect. Why did you forsake them?

Have you taken sides with the Feds? Are you scared to do your duty? Are you ignorant to what your duties are? Are you scared of how the Feds may react if you actually perform your sworn duties? I would really like to know what your excuse is for not honoring your oath of office as Sheriff of Harney County.
In the wake of your abstanance you now have some very important decisions that need to be made very soon. It should not be a hard decision understanding your purpose of existence as stated in the oath you have taken. The choice is simple, A. to turn a blind eye against your people and continue to collaborate with the Feds, pushing their agenda to remain in power and control over the people and their resources and to continue participating with fear mongering tactics such as shutting down schools etc. and now participating in the new growing threat of violence by the Feds toward peaceful protesters. or B. Re-commit yourself to uphold and perform your duties to We The People of Harney County and utilize the protesters that have come to your peoples assistance and say simply, no to the Feds and rid your county of their presence and tyranny that they have spread across your County.

Understand that the protesters have peacefully assembled only to support you and your people who are and have been oppressed by Federal over reach. Understand that their assembly is a constitutional right and act. Understand that they do not intend any harm to anyone, they sincerely want to restore the rights, land and resources that belong to the people of Harney County who have pre-emptive rights to them and non other, especially any federal Corporation. Understand that Constitutionally it is impossible for the federal government to own or manage land outside the bounds and terms stated in art. 1 sec. 8 par.17 of the U.S. Constitution. Remember that governments were instituted among men & women for the security of the rights of the people and that when governments begin to abuse those rights and fail to secure them, it is up to non other than the people themselves to uphold those rights, it is their right, it is their duty to dispose of the tyrannical government infringing upon those rights. (see the Declaration of independence.)

This sheriff is why citizens all across this nation assemble at times for regress of grievance for the respective oppression to cease. For this reason the protesters have come to your county. They have come hoping for your blessing and support and to support you in the changes you will need to make. Remember that you have the authority to promote a positive and forthright outcome working with the people to create liberty and prosperity in your county. However you also have the ability to exercise your individual agency and abuse your office and power given you to continue your lawlessness. If you continue in this direction, I’m afraid you may have blood on your hands.

Sheriff, I respect the office that you hold and the awesome responsibilities that are your’s and pray that you may be given the strength to say simply no to the feds, rid them of your county, give back the lands and resources to the people whom they were taken from and ultimately restore prosperity and liberty in your county. I know that would be the right thing to do, I believe as a steward with the accountability to the people, God will be pleased with and uphold you.
I do not reside in Oregon but can be available at your request to help you in any way I can to restore the rights of the people of Harney County. Sincerely, your supporter.

Dave Bundy
Concerned American

Click through to the comments for straight-up gold fringery

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
All I can see in that text is "pleasegetpissedandshootatuspleasegetpissedandshootatuseasegetpissedandshootatus."

emptyspace
Oct 21, 2008

xrunner posted:

They haven't taken the trucks anywhere so that would probably just be joyriding.

Reaching into an open window of a car you don't own is burglary of a vehicle, at least it was when my mom was a cop in TX. These guys actually drove them without permission. That's either unlawful use, or grand theft.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

As a Millennial I posted:

Click through to the comments for straight-up gold fringery

ahh so now they are mad that the sheriff isnt playing ball. I am sure those messages will grow a lot angrier.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
I wonder if the Bundys would still be doing this if Mitt Romney was president.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Oh no! It's a spooky ghost! :gonk:

Has there been any reporting on what the militia mooks have been actually doing these past few days besides begging for snacks online? Are they just staring at the walls day in and day out or has it devolved into rampant cannibalism/buttfucking yet?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Has there been any reporting on what the militia mooks have been actually doing these past few days besides begging for snacks online?

I think one of the stories posted earlier said Ammon and Ryan were leading a constitution study group in one of the buildings.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Has there been any reporting on what the militia mooks have been actually doing these past few days besides begging for snacks online? Are they just staring at the walls day in and day out or has it devolved into rampant cannibalism/buttfucking yet?

The Guardian reported that some ranchers showed up with "enough meat to fill four industrial refrigerators, replenishing the group’s diminishing supplies", so I guess eating T-bones or something?

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jan/05/tension-grows-as-militia-prepares-for-fourth-night-in-oregon-standoff

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

As a Millennial I posted:

quote:

Sheriff, I respect the office that you hold and the awesome responsibilities that are your’s and pray that you may be given the strength to say simply no to the feds, rid them of your county, give back the lands and resources to the people whom they were taken from and ultimately restore prosperity and liberty in your county. I know that would be the right thing to do, I believe as a steward with the accountability to the people, God will be pleased with and uphold you.
I do not reside in Oregon but can be available at your request to help you in any way I can to restore the rights of the people of Harney County. Sincerely, your supporter.

This prose, it brings tears to my eyes.

Say simply no. Say. Simply. No.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
I was personally smitten by this part:

quote:

This oath was quite the contrary that created a Sacred duty, to serve, protect and defend every single one of your citizens like a hen protects her chicks against all threats. Don’t forget who your boss is, we the people of Harney County.

First they break and enter then squat in a federal building now they are the sheriff's boss. Movin' on up!

Fuckt Tupp fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 7, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Lead out in cuffs posted:

The Guardian reported that some ranchers showed up with "enough meat to fill four industrial refrigerators, replenishing the group’s diminishing supplies", so I guess eating T-bones or something?

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jan/05/tension-grows-as-militia-prepares-for-fourth-night-in-oregon-standoff

Is it possible to develop acute gout in a short amount of time? That or a heart blockage?

Also, a constitution study group with these guys would be enough to develop insanity or brain damage. I met Michelle Bachmann in DC back in summer 2011 and I felt a little mentally damaged just hearing her ramble about studying a 6th grade primer from the late 1700s about the Bill of Rights.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 7, 2016

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe I'm just a Yankee city slicker but I think these guys should just give up already and fight for a constitutional convention instead. The USA does need to be reorganized regarding federal/state/county budgeting and decision making. Globalization has made the world very small, information technology can change how our government works.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

quote:

This oath was quite the contrary that created a Sacred duty, to serve, protect and defend every single one of your citizens like a hen protects her chicks against all threats.

Hens do a pretty piss-poor job of protecting their chicks, as you'd expect of a creature bred to eat grain and do nothing hey wait a minute

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Problem: they don't have 4 industrial refrigerators.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Internet Webguy posted:

First they break and enter then squat in a federal building now they are the sheriff's boss. Movin' on up!

The best bit is definitely this. He keeps referring to it as "our land", and just using we and our generally when he's not even from the state of Oregon. What an idiot.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Joementum posted:

I think one of the stories posted earlier said Ammon and Ryan were leading a constitution study group in one of the buildings.

So they carry little pocket constitutions with them wherever they go and lead constitution study groups with their devoted followers. Are they going to start leaving constitutions in hotel rooms next?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Joementum posted:

The founding of a new religion: Interprettheconstitutionhoweveriwant-ism

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

McDowell posted:

Maybe I'm just a Yankee city slicker but I think these guys should just give up already and fight for a constitutional convention instead. The USA does need to be reorganized regarding federal/state/county budgeting and decision making. Globalization has made the world very small, information technology can change how our government works.

The Number of Representatives shall not exceed one for every Corporation, but each Fortune 500 Corporation shall have at Least one Representative.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
Native tribe blasts Oregon takeover

CNN posted:

The leaders of the Burns Paiute tribe have a message for the men and women who have taken over the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge outside Burns, Oregon: "Go home. We don't want you here."
The tribe is still fighting over land use but now works with the federal government's Bureau of Land Management to save its archaeological sites.
"We have good relations with the refuge. They protect our cultural rights there," said tribal council Chairwoman Charlotte Rodrique.
The Paiute tribe decided it was time to speak about what's happening at the refuge. They did so at length and with plenty of emotion.
"They just need to get the hell out of here," tribal council member Jarvis Kennedy told a crowd of reporters and local residents who showed up to listen to what the tribe had to say on the matter.
"To me they are just a bunch of bullies and little criminals coming in here and trying to push us around over here and occupy our aboriginal territories out there where our ancestors are buried," Kennedy said.
Inside the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge headquarters, Kennedy said there are important official papers that document his tribe's history and his ancestors' existence on the land. That headquarters has been taken over by men from out of state.
"It gets tiring. It's the same battles that my ancestors had. And now it's just a bunch of different cavalry wearing a bunch of different coats," Kennedy said.
"We'd be already shot up, blown up or in jail. Just being honest; they are used to killing us," Kennedy said. "They are white men. That is the difference. That is just how I see it."

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I'm really interested in their thoughts on the supremacy clause.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Warbadger posted:

It's below freezing there so that's like having an unlimited number of freezers.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Oh so this federal workplace actually has some function and is not just some comedy shack in the desert. What a huge and unforeseeable turn of events.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
I just think it's funny that they can't even get native tribes to side with them against the federal government.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Oh so this federal workplace actually has some function and is not just some comedy shack in the desert. What a huge and unforeseeable turn of events.

please stop advocating for giving these men what they want. if we do that and arrest them then they win! it's best we just ignore them till they go home bored and they'll have learned their lesson

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Condiv posted:

please stop advocating for giving these men what they want. if we do that and arrest them then they win! it's best we just ignore them till they go home bored and they'll have learned their lesson

i think he was joking.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

The Number of Representatives shall not exceed one for every Corporation, but each Fortune 500 Corporation shall have at Least one Representative.

Nah I would be there as a delegate fighting poo poo like that tooth and nail. For God and Country.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Warbadger posted:

This is when the below-freezing temperatures outside becomes their ally.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

This is just perfect, the smug militia member saying "I don't know, maybe they should stand up for their rights and they'd get it back" :3: SMASH CUT to crying Indian. This is the CNN equivalent of an orgasm.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Oh please Chuck Tingle, oh please be inspired by the headlines.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

ShadowCatboy posted:

Doesn't take much of a thaw to contaminate meat and a sanitary storage location is a pretty big factor.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 7, 2016

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

ShadowCatboy posted:

The local insects and wildlife, not so much.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
As a sovereign citizen my preferred pronouns are we the people / we the people's / ourselves the people.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Internet Webguy posted:

As We The People, that is actually my building to do with as I will. Furthermore, the corporation called The United States Incorporated actually trespassed on We The People's land when they built it, which is an act of treason, and according to posse comitatus,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mormon Star Wars posted:

In the Bundy Ranch incident people literally threatened reporters and townsfolk and there were no arrests or fines, everyone just went home realizing that they can do whatever the gently caress they want with no consequences at all.

one incident less than two years ago which is still in the legal system is not the same thing as zero consequences. hyperventilating about how the FBI is in cahoots with the militamen isn't doing you any good, but it's entertaining to me at least

in the 1996 montana standoff, the militia eventually surrendered and - guess what! - they were prosecuted. it's almost like the government isn't trying to encourage white separatists after all. what a crazy world we live in

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 7, 2016

• Locked thread