Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

iRend posted:

A new laptop came in. Nice, a T450 ultrabook! Finally they're not going the cheapest option.

Cool, RHEL 7.2 is out, I'll give that a test drive. I'll make a bootable USB.

Hm, USB imagewriter is not working. I'll use the console. "dd RHEL_7.2.iso > SDB"

Why did my PC shut off. OH COOL SDB IS MY SYSTEM DRIVE FOR SOME UNFATHOMABLE REASON.

Lucky I had a recent backup on a Seagate external!

"g: is not formatted. Would you like to format it?"

SHOULDA BOUGHT A BUFFALO.

(MFT all 0's. Backup MFT trashed. Disktools saved my backup, after 4 days of restoration, with 6 files lost: including my email archive)

Sounds like somebody needs to learn how to use the mount command. Why on earth would you blindly assume something is at any location?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

I see myself doing this a lot in the future. Turns out we HAVEN'T paid for this before, at least directly. I've got to spend tomorrow figuring out which MSP installed the damned thing.

Anyways, I had a terrible fright, guys.

I was cleaning out and organizing my desk.

I opened a cabinet.

What is that thing...

Oh dear god no

:negative:

Buffalo hard drive, death click rosta:
There was a Buffalo hard drive, in the heart of the desk drawer.
Stolen from the old job, brought to the new Job
Fighting on arrival, fighting for survival.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 7, 2016

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

larchesdanrew posted:

I see myself doing this a lot in the future. Turns out we HAVEN'T paid for this before, at least directly. I've got to spend tomorrow figuring out which MSP installed the damned thing.

I opened a cabinet.

What is that thing...

Oh dear god no

:five::five::five::five::five:

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Che Delilas posted:

gently caress HR, make it your boss's problem. "Hey boss, I want a raise, this is how much I did for the company recently (money/hours saved by your actions if you can come up with a ballpark estimate at all), this is how much I want. What do you think?"

HR knows gently caress-all; they should not have anything to do with your salary. Your boss on the other hand has the ability to fight for you if he thinks you deserve it. If he decides not to, that will tell you something.

We already talked about it, it was a decision made at the CEO level to not do salary reviews this year.

I got my yearly raise, got the max the company is giving, but even with that, I'm still 18 - 20k under what I could be making anywhere else. Serious #firstworldproblems, I realize.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
There's always secret salary negotiation track.

You just need to make your boss do the work.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

DigitalMocking posted:

We already talked about it, it was a decision made at the CEO level to not do salary reviews this year.

I got my yearly raise, got the max the company is giving, but even with that, I'm still 18 - 20k under what I could be making anywhere else. Serious #firstworldproblems, I realize.
Thats what they WANT you to believe.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

DigitalMocking posted:

lol if you believe this. That's what they tell people to make them stop bothering them.

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Seriously. I was under market and very valuable to the company so managed to get a super secret salary increase of ~20% outside of our annual adjustment window taking me above the specified range of my position (and I believe paid more than some of my superiors).

Now, there are obviously pits you can fall into here. If you raise it (heh) incorrectly and/or aren't as valuable as you think you are then it could go badly. Don't threaten to leave if you don't get what you deserve, be patient, things can take time (even if things go smoothly by being outside of the process you're looking at a few weeks/months).

And if it really comes down to it, find the job elsewhere that'll pay to 20k more and leave.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

larchesdanrew posted:

I opened a cabinet.

What is that thing...

Oh dear god no

Migishu posted:

But the buffalo's back the very next day
The buffulo's back, they thought he was a goner
But the buffalo's back, he just couldn't stay away

spog posted:

It's a technological severed horse's head.

I just sprayed scotch all over my screen, through my nose.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

:v: This receipt printer isn't working!
:what: Did someone close <important program the mainframe uses to communicate with the printer> on the computer it's connected to?
:v: No, nobody touched it.
[15 minutes of bullshit troubleshooting]
:what: [I know that drat program isn't running, or the printer would work.] Can you restart <important program> for me? <bullshit excuse>.
:v: I can't get the screen to turn on.
:what: Is the mouse connected?
:v: Yeah, but the screen won't turn on.
:what: Are there any lights on the computer?
:v: There's an amber one on the monitor.
:what: What about the computer?
:v: None.
:what: Uh... can you try the power button for me?
:v: Nothing.
:what: Check to make sure the power cord is plugged into the wall.
[A few minutes later]
:v: There's no power cord.
:what: What do you mean?
:v: I mean there isn't one.
:what: maybe it fell out of the computer?
:v: I looked everywhere. It's gone.
:what: Well, there's your problem.

I feel like I have to apologize for laughing out loud at my users at least once a day.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jan 7, 2016

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION

ratbert90 posted:

Sounds like somebody needs to learn how to use the mount command. Why on earth would you blindly assume something is at any location?

Oh yeah, it was unquestionably stupid.

I didn't, however, immediately log an urgent ticket with the helpdesk demanding they recover my files, if that's any consolation...

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

ratbert90 posted:

lol if you believe this. That's what they tell people to make them stop bothering them.

I don't think its quite that from my boss, granted, that's what his boss or HR may have told him.

We lost some really critical talent last year and salary was the reason they all walked.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

pr0digal posted:

Looks like I'm next (possibly) on the list to get my Top Secret (with Polygraph) clearance. Which should be a fun year of background checks, polygraphs and financial statements.

The joys of government contracting. I've heard from my coworkers who have that it's a bit of a nightmare.

Soon we'll, at our job, be starting the process for getting a NATO Secret clearence.

Fun times are ahead!

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

The Macaroni posted:

That goes both ways, though.

:v: Why aren't class schedules automatically being loaded into executives' schedules?
:geno: Because they're sent out as Outlook calendar invites, and a person has to accept an invite for it to appear on their calendar and sync to their phone. If they decline the invite or ignore it, it's not going to show up.
:v: I'm holding you personally responsible for fixing that!

Why don't you just push the schedules into teachers' calendars already? (just remember to disable reminders on them)

larchesdanrew posted:

Hahaha, this place. The company that handles our SAN sent a quote for a service renewal. I took the PO to the director to sign off on.

:v: Do we really need this? We've paid this before, why are we paying it again?

Yes. Yes we do. Let me explain annual service agreements, friend.

Back when I was running a trade school it was far easier to get the vendor to include 5 years of support in the initial price, and get that accepted by the board. After 5 years the annual support bills will start showing up, and you can use those as leverage to get a new [Big_Object].

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal

larchesdanrew posted:

I opened a cabinet.

What is that thing...

Oh dear god no

I'm seriously glad no one is in the office at this hour as I laughed uncontrollably to the point of tears at this. You're doomed Larches. The Buffalo legacy will forever follow you.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

larchesdanrew posted:

I opened a cabinet.

What is that thing...

Oh dear god no

Now the CE's Buffalo Ring of Power has been passed along to larches', dooming him to the slow maddening obsession with Buffalo. Soon he will be calling them "his preciousss..."

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

KoRMaK posted:

Thats what they WANT you to believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcy8uLjRHPM&t=271s

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Whoa, I've been independently spiraling into my own pit of "Oh Dear"ism today and just recalled Adam Curtis and this special mere minutes before I opened up to this post. The synchronicity is blowing my mind.

Emushka
Jul 5, 2007

larchesdanrew posted:

I opened a cabinet.

What is that thing...

Oh dear god no

Like I said, inevitable. INEVITABLE.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
A call came in from a notably high-strung user at one of my clients this morning after a laptop rebuild was done yesterday.

:byodame: I CAN'T FIND THE TIME CLOCK SOFTWARE I NEED
:v: It's on the desktop, I showed you where it was yesterday
:byodame: IT'S NOT THERE I CAN'T CHECK ANYONE IN WITHOUT IT
:v: Ok, I'll connect to take a look
*get connected to her laptop, see the big RDP icon labeled <company> Time Clock*
:v: See this icon right here next to recycle bin that says Time Clock?
:byodame: Yeah...is that it?? Do I just click it??
:doh: Yes. Double click it.
:byodame: *opens time clock app with no problem* This ISN'T the SAME as I had it BEFORE!
:v: The only thing that changed was the shortcut icon. Everything else is the same.
:byodame: I DON'T LIKE THIS but I guess it'll work for NOW...
:fuckoff:

Best part is she's one of our "repeats" who's had issues several times in the past. I watched her use her laptop after I got it repaired, and she's a total spaz - clicking on things 4 or 5 times and bitching about "slowness" and errors (duh, you just tried to launch ONE app by clicking it 17 times dipshit, have some patience), complaining about icons rearranging, or problems with wireless in her office. All but the wireless are stuff I can deal with, because the wireless wasn't set up by the MSP I work for, it was set up by the user's head company network group. This lady needs a healthy dose of Xanax and a loving bat to the head.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Crowley posted:

Why don't you just push the schedules into teachers' calendars already? (just remember to disable reminders on them)
1) I just run the LMS, I don't have any power over calendars. And there are so many meeting invites flying around that if anyone opened the door to pushing items, it would be a nightmare.

2) The teachers have their own control panel for scheduling. This is the physicians and executives that are complaining about not seeing the classes they have to attend. You know, the ones their assistants signed them up for. The assistants that have delegation access to their calendars. Yeah, those ones.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Ozz81 posted:

Best part is she's one of our "repeats" who's had issues several times in the past. I watched her use her laptop after I got it repaired, and she's a total spaz - clicking on things 4 or 5 times and bitching about "slowness" and errors (duh, you just tried to launch ONE app by clicking it 17 times dipshit, have some patience), complaining about icons rearranging, or problems with wireless in her office. All but the wireless are stuff I can deal with, because the wireless wasn't set up by the MSP I work for, it was set up by the user's head company network group. This lady needs a healthy dose of Xanax and a loving bat to the head.

My mom did this poo poo too, she stopped when I got her an SSD. She still double clicks links and its aggravating when I'm over and she's trying to show me the problem she's having. Problems with people spamming clicks go away when the computer actually responds. Last hardware refresh the guy I replaced decided to save money with 5400RPM Drives and i3s, but they are all in ones with touch screens! (that no one uses). Everything feels so slow, and it was so recent I'm not sure I'll be around for the next refresh.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Hey Larches, if you're feeling the craving I'm pretty sure I have some obscure Japan-only Buffalo devices in my big box of computer junk, though sadly I tossed the Skype Phone a while ago as it was falling apart.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Coworker gets a ticket - his external storage devices are timing out during bootup and wants help fixing it (extend time out for example...)

Turns out, customer has an external storage array connected to a 6Gb SAS HBA (no RAID support) and so in order to use RAID is using the Linux MD software RAID. The server also hosts a total of 382 TB...

Gee, I wonder why it's so slow...

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Lightning Jim posted:

Coworker gets a ticket - his external storage devices are timing out during bootup and wants help fixing it (extend time out for example...)

Turns out, customer has an external storage array connected to a 6Gb SAS HBA (no RAID support) and so in order to use RAID is using the Linux MD software RAID. The server also hosts a total of 382 TB...

Gee, I wonder why it's so slow...

I was pricing a server and the vendor told me how much I could save by switching to software RAID and claimed it was faster. I don't care about sales reps opinion on hardware since they want money but I can't see how they'd make more money unless they are taking a loss on the RAID controller or are going to charge to setup the software. I ended up getting a quote for the hardware I wanted but it was like pulling teeth. They later told me that they couldn't do two separate RAIDs from the same controller and one would have to be software even though another vendor could. Guess who didn't make a sale and had their contact info delete?

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

pixaal posted:

I was pricing a server and the vendor told me how much I could save by switching to software RAID and claimed it was faster. I don't care about sales reps opinion on hardware since they want money but I can't see how they'd make more money unless they are taking a loss on the RAID controller or are going to charge to setup the software. I ended up getting a quote for the hardware I wanted but it was like pulling teeth. They later told me that they couldn't do two separate RAIDs from the same controller and one would have to be software even though another vendor could. Guess who didn't make a sale and had their contact info delete?

I can see Software RAID being faster depending on the controller you use, and it's clear they only had those crappy kind...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Lightning Jim posted:

I can see Software RAID being faster depending on the controller you use, and it's clear they only had those crappy kind...

Software RAID scares me shitless. The only Software RAID I would even remotely consider is mirroring.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

What, you wouldn't use mutiple software RAID 5s on top of a physical RAID 5?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSrnXgAmK8k

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lightning Jim posted:

:catstare: gently caress that video! How the gently caress are they giving tech tips when their go to high performance RAID setup is a POS Windows Software RAID 5. gently caress no. No no no.

But no, at least with most of the Dell PERC controllers, if you lose the controller, you just replace it with a like model, and it will import the RAID array from the storage array with ease. I've had multiple storage controllers fail where all it took to recover was a quick card swap and an array import. Done. Back in business.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 7, 2016

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Lightning Jim posted:

We heard you like redundancy so we put your redundancy in a redundancy.

Then we heard you liked doing stupid poo poo so we took away your redundancy by mashing it all back together. Like really dude :psyduck:

The "I forgot to run as administrator, you guys should put that in the documentation" line made me really cringe. No you should realize a tool that messes around with imaging like that should be run as an admin.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 7, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

pr0digal posted:

We heard you like redundancy so we put your redundancy in a redundancy.

Then we heard you liked doing stupid poo poo so we took away your redundancy by mashing it all back together. Like really dude :psyduck:

The "I forgot to run as administrator, you guys should put that in the documentation" line made me really cringe. No you should realize a tool that messes around with imaging like that should be run as an admin.

"I'm gonna run three seperate non-RAID disk controllers that I will then composite into a RAID per controller at the OS level, which I will then RAID again at the OS level, completely negating the point of RAID 5's redundancy while showing that I don't actually take proper working backups"

Someone fire him. Right now. Not only does he not understand how to properly nest RAID (you have to have some sort of actual RAID controller at the hardware level to do it right), he set himself up for failure.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 7, 2016

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Lightning Jim posted:

I knew what video this was before I even clicked on it. This is why people who build custom gaming PC's are not automatically qualified for server design.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 7, 2016

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Lightning Jim posted:

Oh, these are the guys that made the dumb $30k 7 machine gaming computer?

The one guys desk has a mineral oil cooled machine that looks like a fish tank. Thats kind of neat looking.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

KillHour posted:

I knew what video this was before I even clicked on it. This is why people who build custom gaming PC's are not automatically qualified for server design.

Apparently he's using an LSI MegaRAID which is......

...meh, it'll give you nice throughput, but LSI doesn't seem to have the best array recovery options.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KoRMaK posted:

The one guys desk has a mineral oil cooled machine that looks like a fish tank. Thats kind of neat looking.

CommieGIR posted:

Someone fire him. Right now. Not only does he not understand how to properly nest RAID (you have to have some sort of actual RAID controller at the hardware level to do it right), he set himself up for failure.

That's Linus. He owns the company.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

And for people that think that's a raid 5 of a raid 5, it's not. It was 3 raid 5s striped in a software raid 0. Which is why he was freaking out thinking he lost one of the arrays.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Apparently he's using an LSI MegaRAID which is......

...meh, it'll give you nice throughput, but LSI doesn't seem to have the best array recovery options.

You haven't ever lived until you retagged a RAID on an LSI MegaRAID/Dell PERC...

KillHour posted:

And for people that think that's a raid 5 of a raid 5, it's not. It was 3 raid 5s striped in a software raid 0. Which is why he was freaking out thinking he lost one of the arrays.

Yeah, the whole video was kinda irritating to watch so I understand why people like me misunderstood the setup.

At least that setup makes a more sense than the RAID 5 on a RAID 5...And I totally hate slicing RAIDs myself.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

But still, no backups?

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

KoRMaK posted:

But still, no backups?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Stripe the corpse across multiple graves.

You know, for redundancy :v:

• Locked thread