Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Tesseraction posted:

Shut off the water mains and enjoy them slowly gassing themselves to death by unflushable toilet.

The property is well-supplied, and even if the water went down, you can still flush via bucket, or at the least set up a mouldering/pit toilet. The latter may or may not actually occur to these guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Okay, back-up plan: block the sewer so it reaches an overflowing toilet scenario.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Nothing more fun than digging a hole in frozen ground to poo poo in.

Probably won't shut off the water though, same as electricity. It'll shut it off for surrounding farms and blah blah blah.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Tesseraction posted:

Okay, back-up plan: block the sewer so it reaches an overflowing toilet scenario.

I would imagine it is more a septic tank situation.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I thought pipes like that had to have localised shut-offs in case of a burst?

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

Do you know how a septic tank and field works? It's totally self contained on the property. poo poo runs into settling tank, solids fall to bottom and are broken down by bacteria, liquid runs out into pipes that discharge into a sand filter field which drains to groundwater. You have to clean out the settling tank on occasion, but that's on the course of 5-10 year intervals or something.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Tesseraction posted:

They aren't on municipal water lines. Their water is fed by a private well (which, in case of a burst you turn the pump off) and their sewer is a septic tank. You can't sabotage either without being on the premises.

They can't shut the power off on the compound because there are other homesteads in the area they would be shutting off as well. You'd be punishing everyone on that power line who isn't a militia chucklefuck.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Tesseraction posted:

They almost certainly have water that comes from a well on site and a septic tank for waste. I'm a city person too but come on.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Just drop a small JDAM on the tower running to the compound. That gives you the bonus of watching these idiots try to do electrical repair work in negative temperatures. :v:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Wait a minute. Wait just a goddamned minute. You don't get to discount the federal [read: American] government as a "foreign entity" and then call yourself an "American," you loving asshat. If you're a "sovereign citizen," then you're a visitor on American soil, which makes you an immigrant. Do you have paperwork allowing you to be here? I bet not.

The "United States of America" are just that, the United States, while the federal government, aka United States, Inc., is a foreign business incorporated in Puerto Rico (???). Or something.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Gorilla Salad posted:

A whole lot of people are asking why the government isn't blocking off the roads and therefore letting every chucklehead pass freely to and from the reserve.

Here's a google maps link to the place. Click it and just spin the camera around for a bit.

This is what you'll see:

(please note sniper post :downs:)

The entire place is flat and if the cops block off the roads, people will just drive over the grass and shrubs.

As someone who does a lot of off-roading to hiking spots in desert areas like this (and coincidentally is also surrounded by dumb hicks like these) I'd like to weigh in here. Off roading in places like this usually means at the very least a well beaten path. If you just try to drive over the wilderness there's a huge chance you'll get your fancy 4x4 stuck in a ditch you didn't see or some soft sandy spot.

It looks flat, but there are washes everywhere that get dug out by rainfall that can come out of nowhere and can easily be six feet deep. They'll eat just about anything that isn't equipped with tank tracks. As long as they shutoff any existing dirt roads too, I think a blockade would be effective.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Captain Bravo posted:

Just drop a small JDAM on the tower running to the compound. That gives you the bonus of watching these idiots try to do electrical repair work in negative temperatures. :v:

But then you have to fix it when you finally clear it out. The more collateral damage you cause is the more collateral damage that needs to be repaired.

If you're going fantasy land and want to airdrop anything, you may as well blanket the area in tear gas canisters. If these idiots are begging for snacks and socks I'd bet dollars to doughnuts they didn't pack functioning gas masks.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

As a Millennial I posted:

The "United States of America" are just that, the United States, while the federal government, aka United States, Inc., is a foreign business incorporated in Puerto Rico (???). Or something.

I like that Dale Gribble, a caricature designed to lampoon sovereign citizens and conspiracy nuts, somehow makes more sense in his ramblings about gold-fringed flags and naval courts than the real deal.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

DeathSandwich posted:

their sewer is a septic tank

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

septic tank for waste. I'm a city person too but come on.

Well fair enough, I didn't know for certain they had a septic tank. As the building was reported abandoned I wasn't sure what state of disrepair it's in.

I just liked the idea of them having to put up with a lovely-liquid covered floor.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

The real reason the feds/state is not going out of their way to cut off power is probably because:

1) The militia has class they have several generators and enough fuel to run them for an extended period. This is potentially true.
2) Shutting off power to the preserve without affecting other neighbors is possible, but time consuming and expensive.
3) Given #1, and #2, shutting off the power won't terribly inconvenience the militia, and also be a costly hassle. All it will do is make them burn fuel. Therefore shutting off the power is a bit of a waste unless we're expecting this to go on into next winter.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

Seeing that photo of the tower from a distance makes me think they really did hatch their plan on the drive to the protest, when they spotted it and got to thinkin'.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
NPR this morning aired soundbites from the concerned citizens. I don't know what I expected. They definitely want the militia out, but they are also definitely sympathetic to their cause. I have no idea how the US manages to have any public lands, national parks or preserves at all since it seems no one can grasp that there is value in natural landscapes other than the resources you can crudely extract from them.

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

Seeing that photo of the tower from a distance makes me think they really did hatch their plan on the drive to the protest, when they spotted it and got to thinkin'.

This is the kind of "common sense" that the right wants to run the country with.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Don't know if this was posted yet, but the Daily Mail confronted that bodyguard guy who claimed to be a Marine. I love the direct quotes

quote:

During several encounters with Cavalier - who on one day wore a hat with a badge stating 'major league sniper' on the front - he gave off an air of a long-time serviceman.

When our reporter asked about accessing the refuge building, he barked: 'No that's logistical security issues that we can't have happen, head count can't be divulged for security purposes.'

The military pretense continued when our reporter tried to climb a wildlife observation tower which the militia is using as a guard tower. Cavalier screamed for us to get down.

'Now we are at a cross hair where my men and photographs of aerial reconnaissance or photography is now putting people's lives in jeopardy and I will be upset,' he said, adding: 'I don't know what the hell could happen, they could be out there with snipers and not know who you are.'

Adorable.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

quote:

head count can't be divulged for security purposes

:allears:

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
There's only 12 of them in there now aren't there?

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Bast Relief posted:

NPR this morning aired soundbites from the concerned citizens. I don't know what I expected. They definitely want the militia out, but they are also definitely sympathetic to their cause. I have no idea how the US manages to have any public lands, national parks or preserves at all since it seems no one can grasp that there is value in natural landscapes other than the resources you can crudely extract from them.
The answer is lobbying. A lot of is by groups like the Sierra Club and the various Audubon groups, but there is a lot of great work done to preserve both environmental and cultural resources by groups like Archaeology Southwest. It involves long, tiring work with elected officials who give a poo poo. For an example, Archaeology Southwest has been trying very hard for years now to expand Casa Grande Ruins National Monument to include a few important nearby sites and also to establish a national monument at the Gila Bend to preserve the riparian and archaeological resources there. Being Arizona, that basically means lobbying the few dumbass Republicans you can maaaaaaaaaaybe convince and sane people like Raul Grijalva and Ann Kirkpatrick. But it's tough going and yeah, a lot of the time ranching, mining and land-destroying interests win out, as in the Oak Flat case.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

Bast Relief posted:

The funny/sad part is, you can extract resources from much of them, you just have to pay for the right to do so. What these people want is the right to swarm over land like locusts, deplete everything, and leave the mess for someone else without paying a dime. There's no shortage of land that you can buy if you just want a farm or whatever, and people buy mining/grazing/logging rights on federal land all the time.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

As a Millennial I posted:

Don't know if this was posted yet, but the Daily Mail confronted that bodyguard guy who claimed to be a Marine. I love the direct quotes

Adorable.

According to police records, Cavalier, from Arizona, has been arrested several times for DUI and one case of 'extreme DUI' in Arizona.

Does that mean he got drunk on a skateboard?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Protip: It's going to be difficult to conceal your identity with tattooed eyelids.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah when you listen to these guys it's clear that they consider "public" to mean anyone can do whatever they want to these lands without oversight. Since everyone "owns" them, if they want to gently caress them up for personal gain they should be able to and can't comprehend that other people who "own" those lands might want the exact opposite so you can't have both. Like with most of these kinds of people it's a purely selfish ideology with no thought in it other than MINE.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

prefect posted:

According to police records, Cavalier, from Arizona, has been arrested several times for DUI and one case of 'extreme DUI' in Arizona.

Does that mean he got drunk on a skateboard?

I never heard of this so I looked it up. Apparently "extreme dui" is a BAC of .15 to .1999, and there's even a "super extreme dui" for over .2 BAC. Not sure if this is just Arizona or if other states have it.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

It's funny when you think about how much privatization of federal lands would gently caress over most of the people who are demanding it. If you're a rancher and you own a lot of land, you're going to be loving your freedom when the bottom drops out of the local real estate market and you lose most of the equity you've been building. Maybe ranching is different but farmers basically make their money by paying off their mortgages.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

DeathSandwich posted:

If these idiots are begging for snacks and socks I'd bet dollars to doughnuts they didn't pack functioning gas masks.

They're militia. They each brought their favorite gasmask and a backup, and forgot how to learn how to build a fire.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mormon Star Wars posted:

The issue isn't that people want a raid to happen for redneck blood, the issue is that the "and a couple of months afterwards they will be arrested or fined" never happens. In the Bundy Ranch incident people literally threatened reporters and townsfolk and there were no arrests or fines, everyone just went home realizing that they can do whatever the gently caress they want with no consequences at all.

Well, the Bundy militia people didn't go home after the standoff. They stuck around for at least a month, camping out on Bundy's ranch to protect him and running wild in the local area (including stuff like setting up checkpoints on nearby roads) while the local sheriff refused to get involved and loudly blamed everyone but himself for the standoff. Most of them went home after they ran out of money and crowdfunding sites shut down their attempts to crowdfund their expenses, but there's probably a couple still hanging around.

Federal investigations take a long time, and the feds typically refuse to confirm or deny their existence until charges are filed. The FBI investigation of the Alaska Peacemakers Militia (whose founder was eventually sentenced to 26 years for various weapons charges and conspiracy to commit murder) took 20 months, and that was a centralized group with a defined structure and their own weapons caches.

On the other hand, they're almost certainly wary of pulling the trigger too early, since the Bundy standoff people didn't actually do anything more than stand around with guns and chat about shooting federal agents. Many would argue that that is more than enough, but the Feds are likely wary of a repeat of the Hutaree militia case (a two-year investigation into a radical Christian militia which believed that law enforcement was "Satan's Army", was amassing a cache of illegal weapons, and talked about going to war to overthrow the tyranny of the government), where a judge disagreed and dismissed the charges as not concrete, saying that "Vague antigovernment hate speech simply does not amount to an agreement [to violently overthrow the government] as a matter of law". It's likely that the government is monitoring the Bundy standoff guys and looking for something more solid to charge them with, since they have a federal judge's ruling that a shared "strong dislike – perhaps hatred – of the Federal Government and law enforcement at every level", "desire to spark a war with the federal government", and a desire to "harm or kill law enforcement agents" do not amount to "concrete agreement to forcibly oppose the United States Government". Failing to charge militia members may hurt the government's image, but hauling them into court only for a judge to throw the whole thing out as "protected speech" is a whole lot more damaging, and there's no way the FBI will risk that again anytime soon. They won't charge anyone till there's an ironclad case.

Iowa Snow King posted:

Why is the Sheriff the level of authority they're willing to accept?

Sheriffs are usually locally-elected good old boys who went to the same high school as them and therefore are much more likely to cut them a break or look the other way or hold the same fringe beliefs they do.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

Well, the Bundy militia people didn't go home after the standoff. They stuck around for at least a month, camping out on Bundy's ranch to protect him and running wild in the local area (including stuff like setting up checkpoints on nearby roads) while the local sheriff refused to get involved and loudly blamed everyone but himself for the standoff. Most of them went home after they ran out of money and crowdfunding sites shut down their attempts to crowdfund their expenses, but there's probably a couple still hanging around.

Federal investigations take a long time, and the feds typically refuse to confirm or deny their existence until charges are filed. The FBI investigation of the Alaska Peacemakers Militia (whose founder was eventually sentenced to 26 years for various weapons charges and conspiracy to commit murder) took 20 months, and that was a centralized group with a defined structure and their own weapons caches.

On the other hand, they're almost certainly wary of pulling the trigger too early, since the Bundy standoff people didn't actually do anything more than stand around with guns and chat about shooting federal agents. Many would argue that that is more than enough, but the Feds are likely wary of a repeat of the Hutaree militia case (a two-year investigation into a radical Christian militia which believed that law enforcement was "Satan's Army", was amassing a cache of illegal weapons, and talked about going to war to overthrow the tyranny of the government), where a judge disagreed and dismissed the charges as not concrete, saying that "Vague antigovernment hate speech simply does not amount to an agreement [to violently overthrow the government] as a matter of law". It's likely that the government is monitoring the Bundy standoff guys and looking for something more solid to charge them with, since they have a federal judge's ruling that a shared "strong dislike – perhaps hatred – of the Federal Government and law enforcement at every level", "desire to spark a war with the federal government", and a desire to "harm or kill law enforcement agents" do not amount to "concrete agreement to forcibly oppose the United States Government". Failing to charge militia members may hurt the government's image, but hauling them into court only for a judge to throw the whole thing out as "protected speech" is a whole lot more damaging, and there's no way the FBI will risk that again anytime soon. They won't charge anyone till there's an ironclad case.

Eh, you're making the Bundy Ranch incident more complicated than it actually is. They weren't just a bunch of hillbillies with guns walking around. They specifically said they were planning on using them on any one who tried to show up on the ranch. Bundy owed $1 million in grazing fees to the government, so they were already justified in taking his dumb rear end to court/jail. The fact that he and his ilk threatened blatantly threatened violence to any law enforcement should just be icing.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Main Paineframe posted:

Sheriffs are usually locally-elected good old boys who went to the same high school as them and therefore are much more likely to cut them a break or look the other way or hold the same fringe beliefs they do.

Pretty much this. They don't respect state/federal authority because "You ain't from 'round here, boy."

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Serious question----do none of these 'bird watchers' own a high-powered rifle?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Astrofig posted:

Serious question----do none of these 'bird watchers' own a high-powered rifle?

Because that's what this situation needs: Vigilante-on-militia frontier justice.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Photographers generally use their equipment to bludgeon people to death.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

DeathSandwich posted:

Because that's what this situation needs: Vigilante-on-militia frontier justice.

They are a parasitic species; killing them removes nothing of value.

Also, somebody set up a site to help send these inbreds lube.

http://www.sendky.com/

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

fosborb posted:

They're militia. They each brought their favorite gasmask and a backup, and forgot how to learn how to build a fire.

I had a roommate in college who was convinced that Obama would bring about the end times. He had a pyramid of 20 cans of pork and beans next to his stack of Left Behind: The Kids books, a stockpile of silver, and although we never saw his gun, I did find several ziploc baggies full of loose ammunition in his desk drawer.

He tried to cook literally once the entire year. He put unseasoned steaks in a 450 degree oven for half an hour. As I tried to saw through the vulcanized meat, he proudly boasted that his friend was going to throw them out, but they had only expired a week ago.

I don't know if this is really relevant. I just love telling this story.

DeathSandwich posted:

As long as the vigilantes are We The People of Oregon, they're simply protecting their land when their Sheriff won't, in his Dereliction Of Duty.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

Watching this story plummet in online news coverage makes me think the feds are onto something with their lack of response. These guys want headlines but how do you get headlines when there isn't anything to take a picture of, not even a barricade, for this "standoff", just some jackass hiding under a tarp?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Mormon Star Wars posted:

The issue isn't that people want a raid to happen for redneck blood, the issue is that the "and a couple of months afterwards they will be arrested or fined" never happens. In the Bundy Ranch incident people literally threatened reporters and townsfolk and there were no arrests or fines, everyone just went home realizing that they can do whatever the gently caress they want with no consequences at all.

Because the case is still ongoing.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

Eh, you're making the Bundy Ranch incident more complicated than it actually is. They weren't just a bunch of hillbillies with guns walking around. They specifically said they were planning on using them on any one who tried to show up on the ranch. Bundy owed $1 million in grazing fees to the government, so they were already justified in taking his dumb rear end to court/jail. The fact that he and his ilk threatened blatantly threatened violence to any law enforcement should just be icing.
Libertarianism really is the worst of both worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Oh man I can't wait until the hammer comes down on these guys! Boy howdy are they facing SERIOUS prison time and fines!!"

*four days later*

"Oh man I hope that guy eventually reads these forums and sees how we made fun of his cowboy hat!!"

• Locked thread