Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Sentient Data posted:

Why are you saying coil can't be run? The CT linkshell which has dozens of members spanning all three FCs also does coil runs (and occasionally primals)

Probably because they've asked and no one's been willing to do it? I'd love to see Coil past T4 but that's never going to happen since no one's ever willing to run it with new people. The last time I saw anyone running it was for glamours and they only wanted people who'd completed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burn My Dread
Feb 23, 2007

Tear up your fear, the end is coming near, spit it out like a spear, I'll burn your dread

Xenoveritas posted:

Probably because they've asked and no one's been willing to do it? I'd love to see Coil past T4 but that's never going to happen since no one's ever willing to run it with new people. The last time I saw anyone running it was for glamours and they only wanted people who'd completed it.

Ahahahahahaha

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Xenoveritas posted:

I literally helped someone in the CT linkshell get their T5 clear like two nights ago (last night?)

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

That's the Roe underwear. A shame the races of Eorzea never went beyond whitebread colours or designs for their nether regions.

That would be because it all went to designing cat girl underwear.

Also nifty.

edit: Fuuuuck, why does the music have to be so good? It's like they want me to abandon being a goofy pink-haired, heterochromia roe in pink-purple armour and be a badass looking Au'ra or something.

Honestly, this is the first mmo I've played that feels like it's trying to be an honest to god GAME and not something trying to suck out subscription money from you.

Pumpkinreaper fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jan 7, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Xenoveritas posted:

For the past three weeks my static and I have been spending our normal raid night (and other nights) running newbies through coil. Unless you're on some podunk server, this is completely false.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Fister Roboto posted:

For the past three weeks my static and I have been spending our normal raid night (and other nights) running newbies through coil. Unless you're on some podunk server, this is completely false.

It's entirely possible that the goon guilds are so big they've never met you or anyone else doing this content, you know.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Given that poetics can be used to advance the new relic and Coil has a 100 poe newbie reward, goons will fall over backwards to set up 7 vet/1 newbie coil runs.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Right now you can probably make a PF saying you're worth bonus Poetics in Coil / Extremes and people will shove you onto their shoulders.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

The flip side is that pubbies will probably yell at you for watching cutscenes.

Kamakaze9
Jun 11, 2005
Hey you guys!!
I just discovered what linkshells are. How do I join them?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

It's entirely possible that the goon guilds are so big they've never met you or anyone else doing this content, you know.

We actually got to the point where we ran out of newbies. We had to go through PF because we couldn't find anyone in the goon FCs to run through. If you're not online when people are doing it, that's unfortunate, but stating that nobody wants to do it is just false.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Kamakaze9 posted:

I just discovered what linkshells are. How do I join them?

Get someone in the linkshell you want to join who has invite powers to send you an invitation.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

hey they posted a new blog post on the ffxiv blog

aaaaaaaaaaand it's about lord of verminion carry on

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Ainsley McTree posted:

I've been playing for a year at least probably, and it still blows me away every time someone (sometimes me) dies to something totally dumb and avoidable in a dungeon and people are just like "don't sweat it" and offer helpful advice instead of getting mad. Even when you do occasionally run into groups where someone is bad bad and slows down the group by dying repeatedly, it's pretty rare for someone to get vocally angry, usually they just quietly quit or vote abandon.
Yes. I'm surprised by the patience FFXIV players have. I've gotten better as I play and it made me very patient in return when I see and understand why other players make mistakes. As opposed to WoW where there is a simmering hate for everyone and everything waiting to erupt.

temple fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jan 7, 2016

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Getting goons to run through coil is pretty easy. I need to clear T5 still and got a group of 7 other people easily to clear that, then run me through all of second coil in about 30 minutes? Several other newbies popped up too, I think they ran 4 or so people through that night.

I wanted the Poe bonus and I wanted to have second coil unlocked for 3.2 when the HA sets become dyeable.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Newbies are worth their weight in gold when it comes to getting through Coil now. Everyone wants a piece of that sweet, sweet Poetic Goodness.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

temple posted:

Yes. I'm surprised by the patience FFXIV players have. I've gotten better as I play and it made me very patient in return when I see and understand why other players make mistakes. As opposed to WoW where there is a simmering hate for everyone and everything waiting to erupt.

mentinoed this in guild chat last night, but while i was doing a GC leve grinding seals for my chocobo, some rando saw me getting my rear end kicked, healed me, and then stuck around in case i needed help again

community owns hard

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Well I haven't played an MMO in forever so I just bought this thing....

Time to get lost and confused.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

temple posted:

Yes. I'm surprised by the patience FFXIV players have. I've gotten better as I play and it made me very patience in return when I see and understand why other players make mistakes. As opposed to WoW where there is a simmering hate for everyone and everything waiting to erupt.

FFXIV in general just has a design slant towards non-competition and rewards helping folks who need it. It is hard to get too nerdragey about a MMO with a healthy respect and embrace of the silly and absurd (fat chocobo, Hildibrand, goofy gear glamour, etc).

I also think the armory system is a hidden key to the community as well. You don't have the semi-anonymity created by folks having multiple alts for playing as different classes so good behavior is a bit more incentivised.

And yeah, goons in general have a healthy appreciation for the glory of Roes. I put a year in the elf mines before I saw the light and haven't looked back.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Digital_Jesus posted:

Well I haven't played an MMO in forever so I just bought this thing....

Time to get lost and confused.

Roll on Excalibur.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Xenoveritas posted:

Just going to repeat this again:

If you have never done Binding Coil or extreme primals and want to see it, say "I want to do ______ and I have a newbie bonus" and you will very rapidly get a group

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Caveat: "see" is in some cases dependent on dodging certain things yourself. For example, landslides in Titan Extreme. If you get knocked off, you'll get a clear just fine (probably), but your view of the rest of the fight will be the rocky bottom arena and not up top where the action is.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

The Chairman posted:

Just going to repeat this again:

If you have never done Binding Coil or extreme primals and want to see it, say "I want to do ______ and I have a newbie bonus" and you will very rapidly get a group
This dude isn't lying - a random PF group last night that I only joined for the poetics ran four people through Coil just for those sweet sweet poetics. Enough people are doing relics that new players can get carried just by breathing. Poetics!

(e: ty for the CT LS invite!)

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 7, 2016

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The only iffy part may be convincing people to take you through T3 since there is no tome reward for that one. But honestly you could solo that unsynched and probably make it through.

Newbie poe bonus runs also led me to doing T2 the "correct" way for the first time since nobody wanted to stand around and wait for enrage. Man, i see now why people waited for the enrage back when first coil was relevant.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Thundarr posted:

Newbie poe bonus runs also led me to doing T2 the "correct" way for the first time since nobody wanted to stand around and wait for enrage. Man, i see now why people waited for the enrage back when first coil was relevant.

:yikes:

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

PSN has a bunch of free FF14 PS4 avatars right now, for those who need to rep Hildy.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

armoredgorilla posted:

A new Warrior of Light, forged in flames.

AHahahah this is me, and I'm so happy you all insisted on doing the last fight naked. All those cutscenes were dramatically improved by being a naked buff man in a ribbon bowtie.

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011

Thundarr posted:

I don't understand this post.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Chyea posted:

I don't understand this post.

You can cheese A2 by waiting like 15 minutes for the enrage, wherein ADS just sends out damage waves that are easier to heal through than to deal with the actual mechanics of the fight.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Conversely if you're doing it unsynced you should be able to kill it so fast he can't even cast allagan rot. You could do this at ilevel 130 at level 50. So "having to do mechanics" at level 60 unsynced speaks volumes.

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011

Boten Anna posted:

You can cheese A2 by waiting like 15 minutes for the enrage, wherein ADS just sends out damage waves that are easier to heal through than to deal with the actual mechanics of the fight.

But for what reason

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Azubah posted:

PSN has a bunch of free FF14 PS4 avatars right now, for those who need to rep Hildy.

Sold!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Belzac posted:

Conversely if you're doing it unsynced you should be able to kill it so fast he can't even cast allagan rot. You could do this at ilevel 130 at level 50. So "having to do mechanics" at level 60 unsynced speaks volumes.

I wasn't exactly in a great group at the time v:shobon:v

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

There's an alternate route through the trash nodes that gives the boss haste instead of having it do allagan rot stuff if for some reason you can't kill it before mechanics start.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I didn't even realize that the Before the Fall soundtrack was out. Looks like I'll have to get that one in preparation of the Heavensward release.

Kettlepip
Jun 23, 2009

temple posted:

As opposed to WoW where there is a simmering hate for everyone and everything waiting to erupt.

No the simmering hate is still there. It just explodes in linkshell chat instead.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I think that's interesting; WoW had channels people could make and join and chat in, but they weren't as prominent and in your face as linkshells are. I bet WoW would be a lot similar in that sense if there were easier ways to make linkshell cliques like in FFXIV

and yes we are all spewing fumes of hate at all you baddies in linkshells

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Doing Alex normal for relic has made me wish for the heat death of the universe.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

First time I tried T2 was a few months ago, in a random PF (everyone at level 60). The group stood around til the enrage, started the fight, and we immediately wiped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Belzac posted:

Doing Alex normal for relic has made me wish for the heat death of the universe.

Have you considered pursuing your relic by options that don't make you wish for the heat death of the universe?

• Locked thread