Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

little munchkin posted:

Eating a removal spell and being left with a 1/1 token is not "getting value"

each player loses a card, mentor man is left with a 1/1 prowess. Seems like value, albeit a small amount, to me.

------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Frozen_flame posted:

Finally that goofy Chandra face in card form.

They need the Sorin x Jace part in the actual card

also this card is Mirari's Wake except it costs 2 more which probably makes it EDH.card

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 7, 2016

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Frozen_flame posted:

Would draft in vintage cube.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Elyv posted:

each player loses a card, mentor man is left with a 1/1 prowess. Seems like value, albeit a small amount, to me.

------

This card is like the most EDH thing ever.

Drider-Man
Jan 30, 2007

Drider-Man, Drider-Man
Does some things that a drider can.
Can he swing from a web?
Ask your DM

Frozen_flame posted:

Read the card and was thinking, holy crap Mirari's Wake. Then I saw the mana cost and got sad.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I guess it might be okay if you get a lot of scions? Still, the last thing I need when I can produce 7 mana is more mana.

They should print an Eldrazi with C in the cost that has Convoke, just to confuse everyone.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

odiv posted:

I guess it might be okay if you get a lot of scions? Still, the last thing I need when I can produce 7 mana is more mana.

They should print an Eldrazi with C in the cost that has Convoke, just to confuse everyone.

"cast a creature spell"

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
That thing is two good cards crammed in to one useless card.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I meant that you could use scions to power this thing out for more mana on future turns. Was trying to figure out when you would need to have this enchantment in play when you can produce 7 mana. I was just grasping for any sort of reason to play this (and failing).

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

DarkRider09 posted:

Read the card and was thinking, holy crap Mirari's Wake. Then I saw the mana cost and got sad.

How did Mirari's Wake ever get though development?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mcmagic posted:

It was in the same set as the Wishes. Odyssey block was a strange time.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

mcmagic posted:

They used to allow good cards to be printed.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Terrible Horse posted:

They used to allow good cards to be printed.

The actual answer is they used to have lovely garbage creatures and very good spells.

There's definitely going to be a colorless deck in standard, some of these ♦ cost guys are just too good to not see play, whether that's now or after Khans rotates, I don't know. In either case, it probably doesn't involve running 12 fetchlands to play a colorless deck.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

How does Eye of Ugin work with a 1<> Eldrazi? Does it become free or do you need to pay <>?

You would have to pay <>. This is exactly the reason why they created a new mana symbol, to differentiate between generic and colorless mana.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

OK I'm sold on Warping Wail as a 3 of in Tron board's. More twin hate, good in the mirror vs Sylvan Scrying, good vs Shift and vs Crumble to Dust. Probably cutting 1 rending volley, 1 nature's claim and one of something else.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Lets Pickle posted:

You would have to pay <>. This is exactly the reason why they created a new mana symbol, to differentiate between generic and colorless mana.

I think the point of confusion hasn't been the difference between generic and colorless mana, its whether Eye of Ugin reduces costs by (2) or by ♦♦. It's clearly (2) though, since reducing it by ♦♦ would make Eye of Ugin not do anything and would be a functional change in the card.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Elyv posted:

the first things that jump to mind for that haste card are zada and, especially, monastery mentor.

Well there just going to print my entire wishlist for GhostfireBlade.dec aren't they

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
For a small set, there seems like there's a disproportionate amount of high CC and generally terrible rares.

Lot of the cards are awesome, but I feel like passing on this set in terms of sealed/limited/prerelease (much like I did with BFZ).

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Terrible rares feel bad but a small set riddled with bomb rares is a loving awful limited experience

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

Terrible rares feel bad but a small set riddled with bomb rares is a loving awful limited experience

Ah, someone has been Khaned into drafting Triple Fate Reforged before.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

En Fuego posted:

For a small set, there seems like there's a disproportionate amount of high CC and generally terrible rares.

Lot of the cards are awesome, but I feel like passing on this set in terms of sealed/limited/prerelease (much like I did with BFZ).

Honestly, from the face of it, this set seems to have been designed for limited more than any other recent set. Because a lot of these commons and uncommons are loving bombtastic as compared to what we've seen recently. The rares seems to be the random flavor slot for this set.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Madmarker posted:

Ah, someone has been Khaned into drafting Triple Fate Reforged before.

scars scars scars was a real limited format that people actually played and was awful for this

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

rabidsquid posted:

Has a set had so many unplayable limited rares in a while? I feel like that displacer eldrazi is going to be a bomb that can be played in every deck.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

I think the point of confusion hasn't been the difference between generic and colorless mana, its whether Eye of Ugin reduces costs by (2) or by ♦♦. It's clearly (2) though, since reducing it by ♦♦ would make Eye of Ugin not do anything and would be a functional change in the card.

Colorless mana has always been a thing, and has always been different from generic mana, it's just that there were never any cards with colorless costs until now so the difference never mattered until now.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Colorless Mana: Is made by anything that originally said "Add (X) to your mana pool".

Generic Mana: The part of a cost that says "X". It means "spend this much mana to do this thing, plus any other colors, or colorless mana."

This isn't hard.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Elyv posted:

scars scars scars was a real limited format that people actually played and was awful for this

it's also the name of my emo band

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Lancelot posted:

it's also the name of my emo band

That's weak. My MTG themed emo revival band is called Teferi's Puzzle Box

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

"It was that big."

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Kurtofan posted:

"It was that big."

Somebody edit a salmon or something into the art.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Count Bleck posted:

Colorless Mana: Is made by anything that originally said "Add (X) to your mana pool".

Generic Mana: The part of a cost that says "X". It means "spend this much mana to do this thing, plus any other colors, or colorless mana."

This isn't hard.

Their mistake was changing cards to use the generic mana symbols for colorless mana. Originally it was distinct, cards like Sol Ring actually said "T: Add two colorless mana to your mana pool." instead of "T: add (2) to your mana pool." They changed it because it scanned a bit better and they figured it would never matter and now they want to do something where it does matter and whoops.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
okay so i got the old MTGO account booted up, is there like a bulk sellbot i can sell these cards too to see if i have enough to get into the mirrodin draft?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Entropic posted:

Their mistake was changing cards to use the generic mana symbols for colorless mana. Originally it was distinct, cards like Sol Ring actually said "T: Add two colorless mana to your mana pool." instead of "T: add (2) to your mana pool." They changed it because it scanned a bit better and they figured it would never matter and now they want to do something where it does matter and whoops.

It's really not hard. If people would stop over thinking it it would be easy.

Costs 2 less.

WHICH 2?!? 2 NEW COLORLESS 2 OR 2 OLD COLORLESS 2??? THIS IS SO HARD!!

2 loving generic mana you fucktard.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

rabidsquid posted:

That's weak. My MTG themed emo revival band is called Teferi's Puzzle Box

Chain Veil Brides

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

mandatory lesbian posted:

okay so i got the old MTGO account booted up, is there like a bulk sellbot i can sell these cards too to see if i have enough to get into the mirrodin draft?

I usually use these guys http://www.goatbots.com/

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

"It was that big."

"This is how many fucks I give"

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Angry Grimace posted:

"This is how many fucks I give"

"Come at me, bro!"

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

"It was that big."

Look at all these fucks I give!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mcmagic posted:

OK I'm sold on Warping Wail as a 3 of in Tron board's. More twin hate, good in the mirror vs Sylvan Scrying, good vs Shift and vs Crumble to Dust. Probably cutting 1 rending volley, 1 nature's claim and one of something else.

Does it not matter that its literally impossible to cast under Blood Moon?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Count Bleck posted:

This isn't hard.

After caring and correcting people weeks ago, I am now convinced anyone who pretends to not know is just a troll. Just ignore them IMO. Even at the prerelease. They're trolling because anyone who knows simple tabletop game mechanics knows how it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
oh poo poo i have like 300 play points what are those

• Locked thread