Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

shadow puppet of a posted:

That would still have ships spinning like tongo wheels. Its galactic plane or nothing. The orientation is established by the galaxy you are in.The spiral arms make it clear what should be the direction of travel as well as the correct x-axis to line up along.

Even then the Galaxy isn't perfectly flat, so if you've warped from one star system to another and you're travelling "up" or "down" from the Galaxy's point of view you're still going to end up on an angle rather than nose to nose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

mossyfisk posted:

It's only polite to orient your vessel along the orbital plane of the nearest star.

I bet they signed a treaty on it.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Kitchner posted:

Even then the Galaxy isn't perfectly flat, so if you've warped from one star system to another and you're travelling "up" or "down" from the Galaxy's point of view you're still going to end up on an angle rather than nose to nose

You dont tip the ship's nose up or down like some lovely jet ski. You tap on the docking thrusters a little when travelling cross-galaxy and that way your vessel stays dignified and sits upright for the entire journey.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Wasn't it mentioned in Wrath of Khan, when Spock said that Khan was thinking in two dimensions so they sneak up on his ship by going at a weird angle or something? And then it's promptly never mentioned again?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

You dont tip the ship's nose up or down like some lovely jet ski. You tap on the docking thrusters a little when travelling cross-galaxy and that way your vessel stays dignified and sits upright for the entire journey.

This is a really funny image but there's loads of footage of ships tipping their nose when they go under and over things so sorry, but you're out of luck.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Kitchner posted:

This is a really funny image but there's loads of footage of ships tipping their nose when they go under and over things so sorry, but you're out of luck.

But those are the impulse thrusters.

They always went to warp at a perfectly flat angle. So while they can to twists and spins, its just not done with capital ships when laying down real distance at speed.

For reasons of decorum.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
They definetly signed a treaty on that. It was probably the first thing they signed.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

That's why the Borg have cube ships. Every way is up so they don't have to waste valuable energy to not look like shitheads. Then they developed the even more advanced Borg sphere, taking it to the logical extreme, perfection at any cost.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kesper North posted:

Her mirror trait is being totally narcissistic, to reflect the fact that Kira Prime is all about duty and doing what's right for Bajor and its people.

Two things about the mirror universe:

Mirror Kira is basically Dukat. I always found that kind of amusing and I don't know if it was intentional: The ego maniac that thinks she is "helping" the underlings while banging all of them and really only caring about herself. You could drop almost anything she says in Dukat's mouth and it'd work... that said we totally needed a mirror Dukat. A heroic version of him would have been entertaining as hell.

..and second, the actress playing Ezri trying to act like a badass was the most embarrassing thing on the whole show. Getting your rear end kicked by her is like getting your rear end kicked by Justin Beiber trying to impersonate a Chipmunk. That actress was really, really bad all the time though: She consistently came off as "I bet this is a nice person who has no idea what the gently caress is going on in this sci-fi show and is confused as all hell."

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 7, 2016

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
If I was the sort of terrible person to write a trek novel, I'd casually mention in it somewhere that Romulan ships have been upside down all along, because Romulans stubbornly refuse to use the generally accepted 'north' pole of the galaxy, and are the only major power to align to the south pole instead. No one ever mentions it because Romulans love to argue about it, and the whole thing is dumb and not worth acknowledging anyways. Their giant hollow ships don't make any less sense upside down anyways. One of the many disappointing things about nutrek was in the trailer of the first movie, it was cut in such a way that it looked like the bridge was upside down on the bottom of the saucer, but it actually wasn't. I can understand not wanting to confuse 1966 or 1987 America with such concepts as no up or down in space, but nu-trek would have been the perfect opportunity to add in some of that stuff.

In super unrealistic star trek type space fites, it looks like it would make sense to shape your ship to present the smallest possible profile directly in front of and behind you, to be harder to hit, so design is not a completely arbitrary thing. Not that any of the designs really reflect that.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Mirror Kira is basically Dukat. I always found that kind of amusing and I don't know if it was intentional: The ego maniac that thinks she is "helping" the underlings while banging all of them and really only caring about herself. You could drop almost anything she says in Dukat's mouth and it'd work... that said we totally needed a mirror Dukat. A heroic version of him would have been entertaining as hell.

I never realized we never got mirror Dukat before, that would have been amazing. Maybe mirror Dukat was just a frenchman who played seedy poker games in 19th century San Francisco hotel basements.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Clark Nova posted:

Are Cardassian ships the shape of their flag, or is their flag a warship?

cardassia is the equivalent of those countries who have a rifle on their flag

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Mirror Dukat would obviously be a Bajoran who disagrees with the hard line Bajoran stance towards the Cardassians.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

and bajoran flags are that holy symbol they all wear on their ear so they are crazy religious and patriotic like if every american had a flag pin on their lapel.

now that i think about it it is kind of insane how uniform they are following one religion lime that. i mean they all have the ear things

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
They all follow it because it was less a religion like Christianity that you can choose to follow or not, and more an all encompassing caste based social system that also had a religious component, like Hinduism. And literally the only reason why it isn't still like that is because the spoonheads annihilated their civilization.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
It's especially odd that after Season 4 or 5 of DS9, the position of First Minister ceases to exist. Remember in "Rapture" when Bajor is about to gain entry to the Federation, and everyone's assembled there to sign the paperwork? Kai Winn is the Bajoran leader who's going to sign on, not Shakaar or whoever got elected to follow him.

The only conclusion I can draw is that, although the First Minister is an elected leader with some important executive powers, the real leader of Bajor is actually the chief religious authority.

Or, in other words, Bajor is space Iran.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
If I recall correctly Kai Winn was the head of the church and then she got elected First Minister as well, which pissed off the Federation and Kira as they felt it was too much power.

Which was true as she was too busy loving spoonheads

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
When did she get elected first minister? I don't remember that episode.

It is indeed too much power. And besides everyone knows the space Pope is supposed to be reptilian.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Apollodorus posted:

When did she get elected first minister? I don't remember that episode.

Wasn't that the same one where they had to replace the former space pope's brain with half a robot brain?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
He was never space pope. He was her assistant

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

chaosbreather posted:

That's why the Borg have cube ships. Every way is up so they don't have to waste valuable energy to not look like shitheads. Then they developed the even more advanced Borg sphere, taking it to the logical extreme, perfection at any cost.

Yeah, borg ships don't want to risk looking off kilter in large groups.

Just look at that tilted rear end in a top hat behind the defiant.

Shameful.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

You'd have to be the bravest fucker alive to fly a fighter in star trek. While they look cool on screen, and had some uses in Starfleet Battles, fighters don't fit into Trek too well.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Has he been good at anything that wasn't the first one or two episodes of Sherlock?

No. I'm pretty sure he was chosen to be "the next Matt Smith", ie tall lanky awkward looking brilliant person, only his popularity is every bit as manufactured and exists only among tumblr girls, I'm pretty sure. Smith at least had to prove himself and ingratiate himself before the show got too emotionally manipulative, because he was so drastically different than Tennet, but Cumberbatch pretty much rode in on Smith's coat-tails.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i bet the odds are better than being in a miranda, the redshirt of starships

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

The General posted:

You'd have to be the bravest fucker alive to fly a fighter in star trek. While they look cool on screen, and had some uses in Starfleet Battles, fighters don't fit into Trek too well.

I was always surprised the Federation never really utilised combat drones of some variety.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I really enjoyed this delayed-reaction Crublermatch hate.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

DarkMalfunction posted:

I was always surprised the Federation never really utilised combat drones of some variety.

whenever they develop drones they always attain sentience.

DarkMalfunction
Sep 5, 2014

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Well that's their fault for a being a 90s sci-fi series, they had no other good ideas.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

JediTalentAgent posted:

(with some subtitle that alludes to Paradise Lost or something)

"Allusion? Paradise Lost? What's that? Sounds philosophical to me, and I don't like Philosophical stuff" - JJ Abrams probably.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Mr. Pumroy posted:

"Captain, the drones have gained sentience! "

" Again? gently caress! loving poo poo! I'm trying to design loving spoonhead killing deadly drones here not discover new life or new civilisations. drat it man I'm an arms dealer not a doctor! "

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Then start loving some ensigns.

I've always wondered why star fleet doesn't have fraternization rules. They're not military, but they still have a drat chain of command and conflict of interest.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Society has evolved beyond conflicts of interest as well as being offended by people using racist slurs.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Pumroy posted:

and bajoran flags are that holy symbol they all wear on their ear so they are crazy religious and patriotic like if every american had a flag pin on their lapel.

now that i think about it it is kind of insane how uniform they are following one religion lime that. i mean they all have the ear things

I don't know a lot more people might be seriously religious if there were a bunch of God artifacts laying around that would you travel in time and poo poo that the Vatican kept in their museum.

It'd be kind of like "Oh, not religious? Well I've got Moses staff right here, let me part an ocean to shut you the gently caress up."

ED: Also they mention at one point that they were falling away from being a religious people until the whole occupation thing, which brought it back in spades.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm surprised the Federation doesn't just have holograms flying their combat ships, like that one Voyager episode where all the holographic doctors are working in a space mine or some poo poo.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Kitchner posted:

Their ears aren't their dicks dude, presumably they have dicks too.

Massive dicks that all women lust after, according to Roddenberry's one page treatment of the species, over a third of which is dedicated to their sexual prowess.

I really enjoyed this delayed-reaction Crublermatch hate.

Edit: I was gone for two weeks, I had to catch up!

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
Well, the Federation did *kinda* invent combat drones, but it was Rom thinking up the cloaked replicator mines. And apparently, this was enough of a weapons tech breakthrough that it halted the entire dominion fleet for a season. And it eventually got taken down not by countering the tech, but by breaking into DS9 and turning them off.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
It's like the Federation invents technology and doesn't bother to think of actual applications for decades or centuries after the fact.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

cheerfullydrab posted:

I'm surprised the Federation doesn't just have holograms flying their combat ships, like that one Voyager episode where all the holographic doctors are working in a space mine or some poo poo.

Starfleet is a jobs program for misfits. Oh, not happy with your free food, clothing, shelter, education and limitless free time to pursue your hobbies? Fine, go do something dangerous in space.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

For some of us, doing something dangerous is our hobby.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Shab posted:

It's like the Federation invents technology and doesn't bother to think of actual applications for decades or centuries after the fact.

The entire federation is a unionized public transit jobs program gone amok and run out to its logical conclusion centuries later.

They own everything via their pension fund to the point where currency is no longer logical, every new guy still has to take lovely midnight shifts when starting out (even past the concept of night or day being relevant) and nothing, absolutely nothing gets automated for fear of it taking away good union jobs. See 'canteen waiter' still being a valid career path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

The entire federation is a unionized public transit jobs program gone amok and run out to its logical conclusion centuries later.

They own everything via their pension fund to the point where currency is no longer logical, every new guy still has to take lovely midnight shifts when starting out (even past the concept of night or day being relevant) and nothing, absolutely nothing gets automated for fear of it taking away good union jobs. See 'canteen waiter' still being a valid career path.

Think how little Picard addresses the whole ship to tell people what's going on. Working the majority of jobs on the Enterprise must be this terrifying experience where you never know if you're going to have something unimaginably horrifying happen to you or your loved ones at any second. Think of the frantic rumors spreading up and down when there's Klingons on the starboard bow. Wait staff at Ten Forward probably shake all the time and have terrible PTSD from constantly wondering if they're going to get exploded. It's the uncertainty of things that really gets you.

• Locked thread