Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

X-Ultron posted:

Is there any downside to running a lower class, higher rated power plant if it'll provide all the power you need? This would be to get lower weight and better heat efficiency without as much cost. Example: 3A power plant in place of a 4E.
No downsides: when it comes to heat efficiency it appears that the only thing that matters is the quality (so -A is always the best), and a smaller power plant costs less to buy and weight less, increasing your overall jump distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I use the stock keyboard setup except with forward/back thrusters on the thumb buttons. Haven't had a problem yet.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

radintorov posted:

Also if you are about to collide with something, try to shunt all power to SYS to increase your shields damage reduction. It can mean the difference between losing your shields and losing your ships.
That said, you did recover well from the impact.

That is a really good piece of advice I will keep in mind for the next time I careen violently into something. I scraped off of a ship coming out of a mailslot right after purchasing my new Eagle because I was leaving at max velocity. :v:

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

If you aren't boosting out of the mailslot with four pips in engines you're doing it wrong.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

X-Ultron posted:

Is there any downside to running a lower class, higher rated power plant if it'll provide all the power you need? This would be to get lower weight and better heat efficiency without as much cost. Example: 3A power plant in place of a 4E.

Literally no downside whatsoever. In fact, the best Asp-E outfits for exploring normally run a positively tiny 3A plant. For combat though, you might want to stick with a larger plant in case of... mishaps.

Veotax posted:

I tried doing some of the new hostage rescue missions a little while back but they seem impossible without a Hatch Breaker, do they payout enough to be worth installing one?

You can do them by shooting out the cargo hatch if you don't have limpets, but they're too fiddly and unpredictable to be worth the money.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Actually a thrust axis could work on say your mouse wheel. And then have the buttons used for important set speeds like 0% and 75%

Could you map the main thrust control to your mousewheel? That'd make so much more sense than tapping W and S to get it just right.

BR0ME0
Apr 6, 2010
Has there been any word on a PS4 release date?

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Mercurius posted:

Yep, this is the trick to docking easily. I go full tilt at the mailslot of the station using boost, throttle down to zero, extend landing gear for additional drag (and so I don't have to remember to do it later) and then use the manoeuvring thrusters to actually land the ship.

This was working great until I bought the Imperial Cutter which can't get through the mailslot with the landing gear down :downs:

e: if you're using M/KB I'd recommend binding your thrusters so they're set up like an FPS with W as forward thrust, S as reverse thrust, A/D as horizontal thrust and then I have C for down and space for up. I use a HOTAS but I still find it easier to swap from the throttle to the keyboard when landing (although I still use the joystick at all times) rather than using the hats on the throttle for thrusters. It's all going to be down to personal preference, though.

Same here, I use the kb for fine tuning the thrusters when landing. One tap is one change in speed increment.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Actually, smaller power plants do have a drawback: Less hp. You better put emergency shields on your Asp, or the first clown thinking of targeting your plant may be able to blow you up before you can HighWake out.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Dabir posted:

[C]haff, [V]iew. This person is proposing vertical thrust on your THUMB BUTTONS.

Why... why is that weird? Right now I have one thumb button bound to 75% throttle for dropping out of supercruise and one bound to target next subsystem. That seems more weird.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Got a free Viper 4 from the Christmas event. Thanks Frontier! :confuoot:

Wait, what?

How have you only done 10 hours?

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

Libluini posted:

I'm not lashing out, but your opinions are bad. By your logic, every game is feature-incomplete, because every game will lack something you want. Frontier made a conscious choice to do some things first and others later, that's all.

Going into a game's thread and talking about the flaws, maybe making a few jokes about them, that's OK, everyone does that. But you come here and talk about those flaws as if we don't know. Newsflash: Some of us are playing the game since 2014. We know.

Saying things like "I'm expecting more from a games developer :smug:" is, while technically true since it's your subjective opinion, also a rather dumb thing to say. From my viewpoint it sounds like you're saying "I'm an entitled shithead and I don't even notice" when you say things like this completely unironically. Especially if everyone can see that Frontier put already a lot of work into their game and continue to work at it.

I mean this is like if I would go into the Diablo III thread and write down a long and boring rant about how everything I don't like about the game is a fundamental flaw and if Blizzard weren't just lazy shitheads, the game could be golden. It would be funny to rile them up, but it would be trolling, not discussion.

So now I am slowly realizing I'm writing a serious analysis about your trolling. gently caress, it's 3am and I should be asleep, let's stop this nonsense.

We get it, you don't like Elite. You don't need to tell us your vision of how the game should look, make your own drat game if you think Frontier does everything wrong. You could call it Assassin's Creak or something. :v:

Elite is a bad game though. The shallow gameplay/content, broken unfinished systems, and lack of co-op or fun multiplayer should be a bigger deal in this thread than it is. People should be pissed that Frontier keeps throwing new game modes into the game when the old stuff hasn't been fixed or fleshed out, and the new stuff is still as shallow as the old stuff.

It's not as if those of you still playing the game are going to stop playing the game and talking about it just because someone wants to make their negative opinion known in the same thread.

CountingWizard fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 7, 2016

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Aethernet posted:

You can do them by shooting out the cargo hatch if you don't have limpets, but they're too fiddly and unpredictable to be worth the money.

Maybe I was just missing, but they always seem to die before they drop the hostage.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

CountingWizard posted:

Elite is a bad game though. The shallow gameplay/content, broken unfinished systems, and lack of co-op or fun multiplayer should be a bigger deal in this thread than it is. People should be pissed that Frontier keeps throwing new game modes into the game when the old stuff hasn't been fixed or fleshed out, and the new stuff is still as shallow as the old stuff.

It's not as if those of you still playing the game are going to stop playing the game and talking about it just because someone wants to make their negative opinion known in the same thread.

Either Elite is a bad game and we're all dummos -or- Elite isn't a bad game, it's just not for everyone, and you are the dummos. People are pissed Frontier keeps throwing new game mods into the game when the old stuff hasn't been fixed or fleshed out, but what are we supposed to do about it besides make jokes, post :frontear:, and talk about how they could improve it? Are we all supposed to be in here, madly proclaiming the game is bad and posting about it non-stop? Do we have a strict complaints quota which we all have to meet based on how mad we are about our spacegame at any moment? The guy made his opinions known in the thread, people blew him off, and he got mad. Big fukkin' deal, nobody cares about your opinion, nobody tried to change it, heck he even was engaged in a normal conversation yet still wanted to be all pissy. Here, let me do what I guess (???) you expect we should do:

"Wow Frontier is bad and Elite is bad, you are correct I'm mad as hell and I will take your comments seriously as I go forward in my life post this information which has never been brought up before."

It isn't like people posting (over and over again) about how they feel about the game is going to do anything besides annoy those of us that have heard it all before, just like it isn't going to stop anyone from playing the game.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I'm not a space game grognard and only just looked at the Star Citizen thread because I bought Elite and have had fun with it so far... Pretty happy with Elite so far, ha. Calling Elite an alpha or even beta is dumb, when it's clearly a complete but shallow game. No one denies that, I don't think. But I'm going to keep playing it til I get bored, stop playing, and probably try it again sometime down the road if/when more stuff gets added and fleshed out.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

RVProfootballer posted:

I'm not a space game grognard and only just looked at the Star Citizen thread because I bought Elite and have had fun with it so far... Pretty happy with Elite so far, ha. Calling Elite an alpha or even beta is dumb, when it's clearly a complete but shallow game. No one denies that, I don't think. But I'm going to keep playing it til I get bored, stop playing, and probably try it again sometime down the road if/when more stuff gets added and fleshed out.

:agreed:

Also I'm excited for future updates, not upset that they are not out yet.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

KakerMix posted:

Either Elite is a bad game and we're all dummos -or- Elite isn't a bad game, it's just not for everyone, and you are the dummos. People are pissed Frontier keeps throwing new game mods into the game when the old stuff hasn't been fixed or fleshed out, but what are we supposed to do about it besides make jokes, post :frontear:, and talk about how they could improve it? Are we all supposed to be in here, madly proclaiming the game is bad and posting about it non-stop? Do we have a strict complaints quota which we all have to meet based on how mad we are about our spacegame at any moment? The guy made his opinions known in the thread, people blew him off, and he got mad. Big fukkin' deal, nobody cares about your opinion, nobody tried to change it, heck he even was engaged in a normal conversation yet still wanted to be all pissy. Here, let me do what I guess (???) you expect we should do:

"Wow Frontier is bad and Elite is bad, you are correct I'm mad as hell and I will take your comments seriously as I go forward in my life post this information which has never been brought up before."

It isn't like people posting (over and over again) about how they feel about the game is going to do anything besides annoy those of us that have heard it all before, just like it isn't going to stop anyone from playing the game.

Option B is that no one should respond to my post and simply digest it for what its worth. I wasn't looking for a response.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

DarthBlingBling posted:

Wait, what?

How have you only done 10 hours?

The rich get richer :newt:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

CountingWizard posted:

Option B is that no one should respond to my post and simply digest it for what its worth. I wasn't looking for a response.

I don't think you get how internet forums work.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Is there a trick to getting more of these spiffy 1-2 million spacebuck trading missions or is it just RNG?

Also Elite is a p.cool game and if you don't like it you shouldn't play it.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

CountingWizard posted:

He said, as he posted things on an internet forum where people respond to public posts! I agree that there's not much to do in this spacegame, but man that was a stupid thing to say. "Don't like, don't read" is the kind of crap teenagers on Fanfiction.net call out as BS.

Also gently caress you for telling me to "digest" your post. This isn't the loving New Yorker, actual human beings read text.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Not quite sure if I understand how people can say that there's no co-op or multiplayer.

With wings and even before then I never had an issue linking up with people in-game. Sure, maybe we had to juggle an instance every now and then before the wing prioritization showed up but it's not like there wasn't multiplayer or co-op.

poo poo's there, it's just not up to the level of what we expect from huge AAA companies. I thought Frontier was a huge company when I first stumbled across Elite and all of it's hype. They're really not..

..I'm content with what we've got for now as long as they maintain their current pace of dropping new content every other month or so.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

Good Dumplings posted:

He said, as he posted things on an internet forum where people respond to public posts! I agree that there's not much to do in this spacegame, but man that was a stupid thing to say. "Don't like, don't read" is the kind of crap teenagers on Fanfiction.net call out as BS.

Also gently caress you for telling me to "digest" your post. This isn't the loving New Yorker, actual human beings read text.

Maybe you'll get a chance to blow me up the next time I log into the game.

eldridge cleaver
Apr 11, 2015

by Lowtax

Akion posted:

Is there a trick to getting more of these spiffy 1-2 million spacebuck trading missions or is it just RNG?

Also Elite is a p.cool game and if you don't like it you shouldn't play it.

You can go to remote locations, like Robigo, where there's only smuggling missions. You'll need a big tank or a love of scooping to do it, and you really want to stack missions to make it worthwhile to go all the way out there. The risk from stacking too many missions is that you'll fail them all on scan or need to juke tons of interdicts.

The best I did with a Hauler was getting about three missions at once, but folks will run it in an Asp Explorer and grind ~10M/hr, depending on scan luck and how much you enjoy switching modes to refresh the board.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

CountingWizard posted:

Maybe you'll get a chance to blow me up the next time I log into the game.

And then you'll send me a bunch of direct mails about how "Option B was to leave me alone" or whatever? What a great idea for me to digest. Digest it and poop it right into an idea toilet.

Goddamn, that's still getting me. You used a thesaurus for that, didn't you?

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

Good Dumplings posted:

And then you'll send me a bunch of direct mails about how "Option B was to leave me alone" or whatever? What a great idea for me to digest. Digest it and poop it right into an idea toilet.

Goddamn, that's still getting me. You used a thesaurus for that, didn't you?

I've just had that stupid word rolling around in my head all week. I think it was because I was thinking about how stupid the name Reader's Digest is and how society views it now that it has lost the prestige of being the go-to place for launching a career as a writer.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Just got back into the game with Horizons, been having a lot of fun just exploring with my Diamondback Explorer.

Quick question, is there anything interesting on land-able planets that are not yet colonized? Like, poo poo that's a couple thousand light-years away from everything else? Just wondering if there's anything I can pick up when I'm down on some moon billions of miles from civilization.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Lugaloco posted:

Just got back into the game with Horizons, been having a lot of fun just exploring with my Diamondback Explorer.

Quick question, is there anything interesting on land-able planets that are not yet colonized? Like, poo poo that's a couple thousand light-years away from everything else? Just wondering if there's anything I can pick up when I'm down on some moon billions of miles from civilization.

Apparently even planets on the other side of the galaxy pull from the same pool of random events, so you'll find plenty of crashed ships and tiny outposts defended by drones on unexplored planets. That's what they say over on the official forums, anyway.

Hopefully that'll change at some point.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Is there any way to 'lock down' the HUD so that it doesn't float off the bottom of the monitor when I'm pulling up or decelerating?

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

Is there any way to 'lock down' the HUD so that it doesn't float off the bottom of the monitor when I'm pulling up or decelerating?

Not so much lock down.

You could widen your FOV a bit or pay the $50 to invest in a cheap headtracking solution (EDTracker) so that you can always find it when needed.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

Veotax posted:

Apparently even planets on the other side of the galaxy pull from the same pool of random events, so you'll find plenty of crashed ships and tiny outposts defended by drones on unexplored planets. That's what they say over on the official forums, anyway.

Hopefully that'll change at some point.

This is pretty funny, yet not at all unexpected.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

LCL-Dead posted:

Not so much lock down.

You could widen your FOV a bit or pay the $50 to invest in a cheap headtracking solution (EDTracker) so that you can always find it when needed.

Hmm... I've been slowly widening the FOV, I'll keep going and see what happens. I could swear that I've seen Youtube E:D videos where the HUD isn't moving around like a drunkard while the pilot is maneuvering, so I can't figure out why mine moves so much. When I'm pulling back in a tight loop, I lose the entire bottom half of the 'enemy status' section off the bottom of my screen, it's just annoying as hell and I can't see what their hull % is at all during this.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
How does a Diamonback Explorer compare to a Vulture for combat? Seems like the DBE can be much more of a tank, with lots of internal space for hull reinforcements, along with having ample space for an interdictor, fuel scoop, and more, when mixing combat or other mission types with straight up RES grinding. I'm happy with the DBE, but thinking of switching to a Vulture soon, just worried about having way less flexibility for both combat and non-combat fits.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

CountingWizard posted:

This is pretty funny, yet not at all unexpected.

Yeah, it's a little odd to be the first to find a planet and find shipwrecks on it.

Although I guess they didn't live to turn in the exploration data...

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

RVProfootballer posted:

How does a Diamonback Explorer compare to a Vulture for combat? Seems like the DBE can be much more of a tank, with lots of internal space for hull reinforcements, along with having ample space for an interdictor, fuel scoop, and more, when mixing combat or other mission types with straight up RES grinding. I'm happy with the DBE, but thinking of switching to a Vulture soon, just worried about having way less flexibility for both combat and non-combat fits.

The DBE flies like a loving brick, I'd rather fly an Asp in combat and that in itself is a pretty cumbersome (though fast) ship.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

The DBE flies like a loving brick, I'd rather fly an Asp in combat and that in itself is a pretty cumbersome (though fast) ship.

It is slightly more maneuverable than the Viper Mk IV, anyway, hah. But yeah, that's the main reason I'm going to go for it, just worried about being more of a glass cannon.

Grimshak
Oct 8, 2013

I know you need the meat, girl, but damn.

CascadeBeta posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rGeP9JzF7U

PSA: Pay attention to where you're flying. Think I recovered pretty well, all things considered.

It seems so simple, but those kind of things is what makes the game seem so real. Especially the sounds as you glance off it.

I couldn't imagine how I'd react during that with a VR setup.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

Could you map the main thrust control to your mousewheel? That'd make so much more sense than tapping W and S to get it just right.

Yeah I just tested it and although you cant have it as the actual axis you can map throttle up and throttle down to the mouse wheel scrolls.

Sostratos
Jun 28, 2004

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yeah I just tested it and although you cant have it as the actual axis you can map throttle up and throttle down to the mouse wheel scrolls.

If you do this, make sure to set your throttle increments to something other than continuous. I've been playing kb+m since I started last January. I bought a saitek stick and throttle, but I could never get over the fine aim control I got with a mouse so I gave it to my dad. He's 75 years old and flies around doing missions all day in his Asp.

As for control setups, I've had good results from binding throttle to mousewheel, then binding forward and reverse thrusters to the thumb buttons on my mouse. In combat I set my throttle speed to the blue zone and use the thrusters to close in or stand off of targets. W and S are up and down, A and D are roll, Q and E are lateral, R is next hostile, F is next subsystem. My mouse is a G700, so I've got my pip management bound to the three buttons next to m1. I wish I could have gotten into playing with a HOTAS just for immersion's sake, but kb+m is too thoroughly ingrained for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

CountingWizard posted:

I've just had that stupid word rolling around in my head all week. I think it was because I was thinking about how stupid the name Reader's Digest is and how society views it now that it has lost the prestige of being the go-to place for launching a career as a writer.

Coincidentally, I was in a doctor's office today, with nothing to read but Hello! magazines and Reader's Digest 'sample copies', which are like condensed (!) versions of Reader's Digest. It occurs to me that the only time I even remember Reader's Digest exists is when I'm seeing a doctor, which is, like, once every couple of years. How do they stay in business?

• Locked thread