Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Talmonis posted:

Heavily armed men threatening violence to anyone who tries to stop their actual crime in progress warrants a larger response than unarmed protestors yelling about how police murder them indiscriminately. This shouldn't be controversial.

It's mind-boggling that this is controversial. Are some of you guys robots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Popular Thug Drink posted:

in this reality there's actually a lot of precendent for allowing armed militias who hole up in the middle of nowehere to remain holed up until they decide taking themselves hostage is boring. turns out cops don't like getting shot at and if someone's like "we're going to stay here in this little bunker miles from nowhere and if you try to come dig us out we'll shoot at you" the most rational response is "ok have fun"

it's not like there's nazi gold or the on/off button for rule of law hidden in that welcome center. the only thing they're really accomplishing is driving authoritarian liberals up the wall so i hope this plays out as long as possible

Additionally the 1 thing these men want most is to get into a violent confrontation. Why would you give a criminal the thing they want most? Just arrest them later once they've gone back to work.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

SocketWrench posted:

then after they disperse the fines and punishments can be leveled on the fuckers

sure they will

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Salt Fish posted:

Additionally the 1 thing these men want most is to get into a violent confrontation. Why would you give a criminal the thing they want most? Just arrest them later once they've gone back to work.

but it's not faaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrrrr

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

"hey, if you try to stop me from staying in this place where i'm no threat to anyone, and i can't go anywhere, a threat to the people around me, and I'm free to go wherever I please, i'll shoot you"

"ok, sounds good to me, let me go try and stop you so you can shoot at me"

And yeah, the place where they're at is completely unimportant, except that some native Americans claim it has important documents held for them. But why should you give a poo poo about them?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Talmonis posted:

Heavily armed men threatening violence to anyone who tries to stop their actual crime in progress warrants a larger response than unarmed protestors yelling about how police murder them indiscriminately. This shouldn't be controversial.
What's controversial is exactly what that "larger response" should look like. People advocating cops going in guns blazing are exhibiting the same stupid logic as people demanding we glass the Middle East after every terrorist attack.
How about we don't give them the confrontation they want, or create the martyrs their movement needs, and deal with this situation sanely and with a view to winning the long game.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Who What Now posted:

And yeah, the place where they're at is completely unimportant, except that some native Americans claim it has important documents held for them. But why should you give a poo poo about them?

Because it doesn't make sense to put dozens of lives in danger over some papers?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Who What Now posted:

Have those documents been harmed in any way? Are you incredibly upset when OWS protesters and students conducting sit-ins disrupt local commerce, institutional functions, private events, and local enjoyment of public spaces?

Armed civil disobedience is apparently the only genuinely transgressive form of political protest left.

LGD fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 7, 2016

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

zeal posted:

sure they will

Yeah, we know, because the law should move quick, build a lovely case, and then fall on their face when they fail so we can yell at them for doing what we told them to do.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

"hey, if you try to stop me from staying in this place where i'm no threat to anyone and i can't go anywhere, i'll shoot you"

"ok, sounds good to me, let me go try and stop you so you can shoot at me"

So if a group of Chinese nationals decides to raise the PRC flag over the Alamo, claiming it in the name of China and threatens to shoot anyone who goes near the place, the Federal government and law enforcement should just let them be until they get bored? How about if a mass group of radicalized Muslim-Americans decide that ISIS is the beez neez, and take over Yellowstone National Park. Best to ignore it eh? Because this is little different. Nobody is hurt in any case depicted here. All claim Federal property as theirs at gunpoint.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

the trump tutelage posted:

How about we don't give them the confrontation they want, or create the martyrs their movement needs, and deal with this situation sanely and with a view to winning the long game.

Apparently if you just say "I want you to arrest me!" before committing a crime police are powerless to stop you or even inconvenience you in any way. Who would have thought that SovCits were right all along and there are in fact magic words to make cops go away*.

*magic words only apply to white people

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Talmonis posted:

So if a group of Chinese nationals decides to raise the PRC flag over the Alamo, claiming it in the name of China and threatens to shoot anyone who goes near the place, the Federal government and law enforcement should just let them be until they get bored? How about if a mass group of radicalized Muslim-Americans decide that ISIS is the beez neez, and take over Yellowstone National Park. Best to ignore it eh? Because this is little different. Nobody is hurt in any case depicted here. All claim Federal property as theirs at gunpoint.

Hm, what if we were human beings with brains and could intelligently appraise each situations pros and cons?

Nah, rules are rules, kill them all, obey or die.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

SocketWrench posted:

Yeah, we know, because the law should move quick, build a lovely case, and then fall on their face when they fail so we can yell at them for doing what we told them to do.

Seems to work just fine against unarmed college students and black men.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

but it's not faaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrrrr

Only the thought of white men being arrested appears to inflame you with thoughts of fairness.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Talmonis posted:

Seems to work just fine against unarmed college students and black men.

Why can't we raise the bar up instead of lowering all situations down to the most flagrant human rights violations?

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

Hm, what if we were human beings with brains and could intelligently appraise each situations pros and cons?

Nah, rules are rules, kill them all, obey or die.

Good thing nobody is calling for violence. But a response beyond "no no no, please don't do that you naught boys." on TV would be nice.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Talmonis posted:

Good thing nobody is calling for violence. But a response beyond "no no no, please don't do that you naught boys." on TV would be nice.

What non-violent outcome is possible if police decide that they must end this stand off today?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Talmonis posted:

I'm calling for their immediate arrest and hoping there is no violence. However, them being arrested is more important than there being no violence.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Salt Fish posted:

What non-violent outcome is possible if police decide that they must end this stand off today?

who, precisely, is arguing in favor of that approach with you?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

SedanChair posted:

I'm calling for their immediate arrest and hoping there is no violence. However, them being arrested is more important than there being no violence.

Why is arresting them today more valuable then arresting them in a month? They serve the same sentence but one outcome is far less likely to involve people being killed. Do you place no value at all on the life of a criminal or the life of a police officer?

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
No reason to confront them directly but I also see no particular reason to stand idly by as people truck food and supplies in there.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

zeal posted:

who, precisely, is arguing in favor of that approach with you?

SedanChair posted:

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

Why can't we raise the bar up instead of lowering all situations down to the most flagrant human rights violations?

Prosecuting rioters is not a rights violation. If they've broken the law, they get prosecuted. That should go for anyone, and works pretty swiftly for unarmed college students and black men who actually break the law.

Salt Fish posted:

Who put "Today" as an arbitrary condition? No, you prohibit their movement and ability to retain supplies. Find a way to cut the power to them without hurting the rest of the community. Actually show that you give a gently caress about what they're doing, instead of just letting them run ramshod all over the community and make a mockery of the Federal Government.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

They're not trucking supplies in, calm down. It's like a few boxes, and blogs sending them garbage, people do want them to leave.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

There are two bars.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Who What Now posted:

i'm such a racist, not considering the feelings of the paiute nation's tax returns

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Salt Fish posted:

Why is arresting them today more valuable then arresting them in a month?

To keep things fresh in a bigot's head.

quote:

They serve the same sentence but one outcome is far less likely to involve people being killed. Do you place no value at all on the life of a criminal or the life of a police officer?

I place no value on the lives of white militia members. Do you?

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
These guys don't have anti-tank mines and RPG's as far as I know so I don't see why they couldn't be taken peacefully by just driving an APC up and unload a bunch of cops in riot gear to pacify them.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

SedanChair posted:

To keep things fresh in a bigot's head.

I place no value on the lives of white militia members. Do you?

Has the revolution started? No? Then yes, I still value human life.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

LGD posted:

Are you incredibly upset when OWS protesters and students conducting sit-ins disrupt local commerce, institutional functions, private events, and local enjoyment of public spaces?

If they were armed, I'd have had a serious problem with it...That and they'd all be dead right now.

Ziptar
Aug 13, 2015

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gorilla Salad posted:

A whole lot of people are asking why the government isn't blocking off the roads and therefore letting every chucklehead pass freely to and from the reserve.

Here's a google maps link to the place. Click it and just spin the camera around for a bit.

This is what you'll see:

(please note sniper post :downs:)

The entire place is flat and if the cops block off the roads, people will just drive over the grass and shrubs.

Mad max was a good game

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Venom Snake posted:

These guys don't have anti-tank mines and RPG's as far as I know so I don't see why they couldn't be taken peacefully by just driving an APC up and unload a bunch of cops in riot gear to pacify them.

Exactly, there's little risk. They'd be too busy crying and recording vlogs about how "this isn't America anymore" to shoulder a weapon. Perhaps a few of the most unhinged hangers-on like that serial drunk-driving tattoo artist would try to fight, that's what bullets are for.

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
Edit: wrong thread

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I bet that tarp is selling like crazy on amazon.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Nonsense posted:

I bet that tarp is selling like crazy on amazon.

I've already started work on my Tarp Guy Halloween costume

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Talmonis posted:

If they were armed, I'd have had a serious problem with it...That and they'd all be dead right now.

Why do you have such a serious problem with it given that it isn't doing demonstrable harm or actually endangering public safety? And actual history would indicate that isn't necessarily the case- moreover why do you seem to want it to be the case?

bij
Feb 24, 2007

None of the goofy teahadists have anything larger than a .50 bmg. Drive up an MRAP or other armored vehicle and tear gas them, queue "patriots" puking their guts out and weeping.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Potential BFF posted:

None of the goofy teahadists have anything larger than a .50 bmg. Drive up an MRAP or other armored vehicle and tear gas them, queue "patriots" puking their guts out and weeping.

Hmm yes no precedent for this tactic resulting in a massacre with deaths on both sides. Nope, not at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

At the risk of appropriating PTD's gimmick from another thread. ..

Considering their demographics and the number of guns they have with them, there is a good chance these guys will just shoot themselves given enough time.

• Locked thread