Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

SedanChair posted:

To keep things fresh in a bigot's head.

I place no value on the lives of white militia members. Do you?

Yes. If you feel there are classes of people who are life underserving of life then you should realistically seek professional mental health care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bij
Feb 24, 2007

LogisticEarth posted:

Hmm yes no precedent for this tactic resulting in a massacre with deaths on both sides. Nope, not at all.

It's a visitor's center, not a fundie castle. There's no kids to tragically incinerate this time either.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Sovereign Citizen wankery is my favorite weird political thing. It's like a cargo cult for stupid people. They recognize that contract law, and legal dealings in general, are powerful in what they can do but they completely fail at grasping what is actually going on. They're not wrong about what they believe, law and contracts being so powerful are the reason why Dr. Dre is so loving rich and why George Lucas and just donate away 4 billion or whatever ridiculous amount of money he got for selling Star Wars and no care.

But instead of of actually learning how these things work they decide to act like a cargo cult and just construct the legal equivalent of the B-52 out of bamboo and pottery.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Talmonis posted:

Seems to work just fine against unarmed college students and black men.

Who What Now posted:

*magic words only apply to white people

SedanChair posted:

Only the thought of white men being arrested appears to inflame you with thoughts of fairness.

I can't tell if the demand is for injustice for all, or for non-white people to be shown the same restraint by police as these militiamen. If the latter, this probably isn't the thread for it. If the former, gently caress you.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

the trump tutelage posted:

I can't tell if the demand is for injustice for all, or for non-white people to be shown the same restraint by police as these militiamen. If the latter, this probably isn't the thread for it. If the former, gently caress you.

They're observations of reality.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

MaxxBot posted:

If the law enforcement didn't stupidly allow people to bring them food and other supplies they would probably stand down after a couple of days.

Thank you, this is my actual point. They're not even trying to end this. Watching Salt Fish and PTD struggle mightily to turn my argument into "KILL THEM ALL, FOR MARX!!" is fun though.

I also like how, somehow, trying to end this standoff in any active way is somehow "injustice". Perhaps the FBI should be catering their standoff to increase the justice quotient of this situation.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Potential BFF posted:

None of the goofy teahadists have anything larger than a .50 bmg. Drive up an MRAP or other armored vehicle and tear gas them, queue "patriots" puking their guts out and weeping.

They brought their kids to a standoff that they want to become violent.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Racism is over in this country, obviously, so the fact that authorities are allowing the protest shows that these freedom fighters are not actively endangering public safety. When authorities act with force: assassinate terrorist black panther leaders, execute minorities with no warning, breakup OWS etc... it's because they were obviously actively endangering public safety.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Salt Fish posted:

Yes. If you feel there are classes of people who are life underserving of life then you should realistically seek professional mental health care.

I don't value the lives of ISIS militants either.

Sorry.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Who What Now posted:

They're observations of reality.
They're insinuations that the cops should roll in guns blazing because God knows if militiamen were black they'd be dead by now. It's a spiteful, unproductive argument to make.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

SedanChair posted:

I don't value the lives of ISIS militants either.

Sorry.

Why are you fighting these guys then, they sound like your closest allies.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

They're insinuations that the cops should roll in guns blazing because God knows if militiamen were black they'd be dead by now. It's a spiteful, unproductive argument to make.

Unproductive? What, exactly, do you think there is of value to be produced in this thread?

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

As a Millennial I posted:

I had a roommate in college who was convinced that Obama would bring about the end times. He had a pyramid of 20 cans of pork and beans next to his stack of Left Behind: The Kids books, a stockpile of silver, and although we never saw his gun, I did find several ziploc baggies full of loose ammunition in his desk drawer.

He tried to cook literally once the entire year. He put unseasoned steaks in a 450 degree oven for half an hour. As I tried to saw through the vulcanized meat, he proudly boasted that his friend was going to throw them out, but they had only expired a week ago.

I don't know if this is really relevant. I just love telling this story.

1. Did he eat the meat briquette? Did he enjoy it?
2. Is this how he cooks in general?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Crain posted:

Sovereign Citizen wankery is my favorite weird political thing. It's like a cargo cult for stupid people. They recognize that contract law, and legal dealings in general, are powerful in what they can do but they completely fail at grasping what is actually going on. They're not wrong about what they believe, law and contracts being so powerful are the reason why Dr. Dre is so loving rich and why George Lucas and just donate away 4 billion or whatever ridiculous amount of money he got for selling Star Wars and no care.

But instead of of actually learning how these things work they decide to act like a cargo cult and just construct the legal equivalent of the B-52 out of bamboo and pottery.

In politics sanity is secondary to sincerity and conviction. People who are willing to kill and die for a deeply-held belief will win the long game, not the people who believe in nothing, sit back, and 'let boys be boys'.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

LogisticEarth posted:

Hmm yes no precedent for this tactic resulting in a massacre with deaths on both sides. Nope, not at all.

You know tear gas is used a lot without massacres happening right. Also this isn't ISIS we are talking about it's a bunch of dipshits in a cabin with hunting rifles and barbie guns

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Spending trillions of dollars on building the most advanced military in the history of the universe then being stumped by the problem of some rednecks with guns is a very American thing

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Venom Snake posted:

Spending trillions of dollars on building the most advanced military in the history of the universe then being stumped by the problem of some rednecks with guns is a very American thing

You really shouldn't be using the military for this kind of thing. It's what police are for.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Strategy you disagree with /= stumped.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
personally i'd just awp all the militia unlike the noobish fbi

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

prefect posted:

You really shouldn't be using the military for this kind of thing. It's what police are for.

I disagree. This is what BLU-82 Daisy Cutters were made for.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Venom Snake posted:

You know tear gas is used a lot without massacres happening right. Also this isn't ISIS we are talking about it's a bunch of dipshits in a cabin with hunting rifles and barbie guns

Yeah you know I drive all the time without getting into an accident. Seat belts and defensive driving are for pussies.

It's about risk vs. reward.

fake edit: :iiaca:

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

prefect posted:

Actually the police have shown they have a very lose association with RoE so no Id rather have people who know what they are doing handle this.

Strategy you disagree with /= stumped.

I actually think it's perfectly legit to let these morons freeze their asses off until they have to go home to work THEN slapping them with charges but lets not act like it would be a bloodbath if we tried to arrest them right now

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

prefect posted:

It's certainly not what your yokel county police force is for. SOCOM would be best for doing this with no blood, but that probably doesn't look good, so they'd probably have to resort to something with a higher risk of a misunderstanding or something.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

I don't think TARPMAN is up for the challenge.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Volkerball posted:

It's certainly not what your yokel county police force is for.

I'm including the FBI in the category of "police" here.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Cowboy hats are the kryptonite of law enforcement.

I've lived in the rural west for over 10 years and share public land with ranchers and everyone else. In my opinion it is by far the best thing about living out here. You've got an almost infinite wilderness to explore and enjoy and all it costs is time and gas money. In my neck of the woods the biggest sympathizers are the ones who are mad that they're forced to explore certain areas on foot without the benefit of their jeeps or ATVs. These fat, useless motherfuckers are constantly bitching about this. Its infuriating.

Its also kind of maddening seeing these Bundy fucks show up with thier guns and threats and awful ideas and make national news for the second time.

I'm fine with waiting them out to avoid bloodshed or whatever but if they don't face any consequences this time, what the gently caress?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Venom Snake posted:

I actually think it's perfectly legit to let these morons freeze their asses off until they have to go home to work THEN slapping them with charges but lets not act like it would be a bloodbath if we tried to arrest them right now
It could be? They have guns and have expressed a desire to use them. It only takes one nutter or itchy trigger finger to escalate this situation to an extremely bad place, and nobody on the law enforcement side wants another Waco.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

InterFaced posted:

I've lived in the rural west for over 10 years and share public land with ranchers and everyone else. In my opinion it is by far the best thing about living out here. You've got an almost infinite wilderness to explore and enjoy and all it costs is time and gas money. In my neck of the woods the biggest sympathizers are the ones who are mad that they're forced to explore certain areas on foot without the benefit of their jeeps or ATVs. These fat, useless motherfuckers are constantly bitching about this. Its infuriating.

Its also kind of maddening seeing these Bundy fucks show up with thier guns and threats and awful ideas and make national news for the second time.

I'm fine with waiting them out to avoid bloodshed or whatever but if they don't face any consequences this time, what the gently caress?

They could very well still face consequences for the last time, maybe you aren't aware but these sorts of cases are built for a long time before action is actually taken.

I'm enjoying the clancychat though, maybe we should send in rainbow 6 and they can use their turbo phasers.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

InterFaced posted:

But wouldn't a Pilot travel center and some pavement really spruce it up out there? Do you not like Combos while exploring??? 2 bags for $6 MAN!!!

cunny mcalister
Mar 21, 2004
Somehow less than meets the eye.

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

They could very well still face consequences for the last time, maybe you aren't aware but these sorts of cases are built for a long time before action is actually taken.

Has toy gun, gets zero chances; points guns at Feds and have associates kill cops, ALL THE CHANCES. Everyone who is mad about this concept is an idiot with no understanding of justice.

cunny mcalister fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 7, 2016

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

cunny mcalister posted:

Has toy gun, gets zero chances; points guns at Feds and have associates kill cops, ALL THE CHANCES. Everyone who is mad about this concept is an idiot with no understanding of justice.

justice: killing everyone at the slightest provocation, regardless of race, religion, or creed

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

cunny mcalister posted:

This would be more convincing if those people didn't mostly seem to be mad that federal law enforcement isn't engaging in summary executions here.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Popular Thug Drink posted:

justice: killing everyone at the slightest provocation, regardless of race, religion, or creed

You can't have justice without order - these people are a force for disorder.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

justice: never, ever daring to inconvenience white people, much less prosecute them

cunny mcalister
Mar 21, 2004
Somehow less than meets the eye.

Well, which of those concepts is correct? In the past month we have been told that both actions are okay. Did Tamir Rice have more dangerous associates than the ones from the Bundy Ranch that killed the Vegas cops? Is that why he had to be put down right away while we can't even arrest these guys? Or is it that federal cases need more than video and testimony from agents to get going? And if that is the case, why isn't this the case with all crime? Tamir Rice is dead because he had a toy gun, and we as a nation are supposed to be okay with that. These guys pointed guns and threatened federal agents 2 years ago and have had associates kill cops and yet they get the chance to do more stupid poo poo.

At this juncture in America it seems like the bigger the crime, the less we should try to punish it. Cops pull guns on people they pull over for speeding because they're afraid of violence, yet I don't see those saying we need to sit back on this saying anything about the use of force on regular citizens. It seems like the only people it is okay for authority to use force on is those that can't properly fight back.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

cunny mcalister posted:

At this juncture in America it seems like the bigger the crime, the less we should try to punish it. Cops pull guns on people they pull over for speeding because they're afraid of violence, yet I don't see those saying we need to sit back on this saying anything about the use of force on regular citizens. It seems like the only people it is okay for authority to use force on is those that can't properly fight back.

People who do really big, horrible corporate-level crimes never do seem to get punished. It's like the only people who can be punished are the people who can't rejigger the system in their favor.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Anosmoman posted:

No reason to confront them directly but I also see no particular reason to stand idly by as people truck food and supplies in there.

Doesn't really matter. After all, they're buying those supplies with their own money, while also continuing to pay for their homes and their families, and they're not pulling paychecks to sit there and play survivalist. The militiamen who settled on the Bundy ranch were running out of money within a month. Even if they had ten years worth of food stockpiled, they still wouldn't be able to dump their normal lives and stay out there for more than a couple of months. Cutting their supplies would be a concern if they were genuinely willing to give up their old lives and devote everything to this struggle even if it means sacrificing their home and livelihood, like cultists and real crazies, but most of this crew doesn't have that sort of devotion. A few of them are already talking about how they aren't willing to take a bullet for this and how they need to go home soon, and it hasn't even been a week. They'll be gone well before they run out of food, and the Feds will spend the next year and a half painstakingly investigating each one of them and doing a meticulous inventory of even the tiniest damages they've done to the place.

SedanChair posted:

I place no value on the lives of white militia members. Do you?

Man, so edgy. Personally, I believe all human lives have value, regardless of their skin color or political beliefs. And to be honest, it really does shock me to see how many people here disagree!

Potential BFF posted:

None of the goofy teahadists have anything larger than a .50 bmg. Drive up an MRAP or other armored vehicle and tear gas them, queue "patriots" puking their guts out and weeping.

Sounds like a good way to make sure that the next militia standoff involves militants cobbling together IEDs and taking hostages (for "self-defense", of course), rather than sitting in an empty building watching Fox News and comparing cowboy hats.

Mr. Wookums posted:

Racism is over in this country, obviously, so the fact that authorities are allowing the protest shows that these freedom fighters are not actively endangering public safety. When authorities act with force: assassinate terrorist black panther leaders, execute minorities with no warning, breakup OWS etc... it's because they were obviously actively endangering public safety.

The reason this protest is allowed by authorities and other ones weren't is because different authorities were involved! If these yahoos were pulling this poo poo in the NYPD's jurisdiction the whole drat building would've been burned down by now.

The modern-day FBI is not generally responsible for shooting unarmed minorities or breaking up left-wing protests. It's highly inaccurate to lump the FBI in with the local police departments that engage in that behavior, especially since the FBI is the entity that investigates civil rights violations by those local police departments.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

cunny mcalister posted:

Well, which of those concepts is correct? In the past month we have been told that both actions are okay. Did Tamir Rice have more dangerous associates than the ones from the Bundy Ranch that killed the Vegas cops?

you are aware that there is a deeper level of precedent to draw from than 2014, right? tamir rice and cliven bundy are not the only criminal acts which occurred in the united states which may have some bearing on how the feds respond to this militia standoff?

i get that you are very charged up and passionate about this issue but when you start lumping in the fbi with the cleveland pd and extrapolating an entire system of police brutality against minorities based on two (2) examples uh i dunno guy i find it kind of hard to take you seriously

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 7, 2016

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

prefect posted:

People who do really big, horrible corporate-level crimes never do seem to get punished. It's like the only people who can be punished are the people who can't rejigger the system in their favor.

They do every once in a while and by the most remarkable coincidence, it seems to happen in those instances where their victims tend to be rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!
They really should just do the Noriega thing. Maybe with birding documentaries.

• Locked thread