Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cunny mcalister
Mar 21, 2004
Somehow less than meets the eye.

prefect posted:

People who do really big, horrible corporate-level crimes never do seem to get punished. It's like the only people who can be punished are the people who can't rejigger the system in their favor.

Which is being put on display in such a short term that I've developed whiplash.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

you are aware that there is a deeper level of precedent to draw from than 2014, right? tamir rice and cliven bundy are not the only criminal acts which occurred in the united states which may have some bearing on how the feds respond to this militia standoff?

Sorry that I chose extremes from the news within the past month to prove a point. How about you address the inequalities instead of saying there was other crime?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

cunny mcalister posted:

Sorry that I chose extremes from the news within the past month to prove a point. How about you address the inequalities instead of saying there was other crime?

"sorry that my argument is extreme and somewhat absurd, how about you engage with it sincerely and at face value instead of pointing out the flaws within it?"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Abner Cadaver II posted:

They really should just do the Noriega thing. Maybe with birding documentaries.

I really want David Attenborough to show up and randomly do a wildlife documentary about hicks.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Abner Cadaver II posted:

Big TVs playing MSNBC 24 hours a day.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Salt Fish posted:

Why is arresting them today more valuable then arresting them in a month? They serve the same sentence but one outcome is far less likely to involve people being killed. Do you place no value at all on the life of a criminal or the life of a police officer?

Because they won't be arrested in a month, or ever, much like the people at the Bundy ranch that threatened hotel employees in the nearby town for working at a hotel that the feds had the temerity to stay at. They won't even be fined.

cunny mcalister
Mar 21, 2004

"sorry that my argument is extreme and somewhat absurd, how about you engage with it sincerely and at face value instead of pointing out the flaws within it?"

If I'm that far off base in understanding how the law in a unified country should work, then please help me. I literally don't understand why these should be considered different cases other than the authority enforcing the law.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

cunny mcalister posted:

If I'm that far off base in understanding how the law in a unified country should work, then please help me. I literally don't understand why these should be considered different cases other than the authority enforcing the law.

It's not a totally unified country. It's fifty "united" states. There are tons of differences between states and between levels of governmental authority.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Abner Cadaver II posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_bgYNj8aQ0

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC-XH6RLLC4

???

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

prefect posted:

24/7 Rachel Maddow interspersed with episodes of Girls.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/01/oregon-mandatory-minimums/422433/

quote:

“What we must not do,” Margaret Corvid writes at Jacobin, “is call for the police to move in with the tear gas and rubber bullets of Ferguson and Baltimore, or the live rounds of MOVE or Wounded Knee, because equal injustice is not justice done.”

Quite so.

We’d all do better to focus on forging red-blue alliances to address injustices of common concern rather than behaving as if it is either useful or morally righteous to denounce, demonize, and dehumanize the members of opposing ideological tribes.

Good article. What's sad is many posts in this thread are indistinguishable in their hatred and call for police violence to your average freep thread on a 'left wing' protest. Change a couple words and the message is identical: 'destroy those who disagree with me politically'.

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Because they won't be arrested in a month, or ever, much like the people at the Bundy ranch that threatened hotel employees in the nearby town for working at a hotel that the feds had the temerity to stay at. They won't even be fined.

The reason the feds win so much is because they build solid cases before proceeding. Just be patient, I'm sure your lust for revenge will be sated eventually.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

justice: killing everyone at the slightest provocation, regardless of race, religion, or creed

Keep the struggle alive, bro.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

They could very well still face consequences for the last time, maybe you aren't aware but these sorts of cases are built for a long time before action is actually taken.

tsa posted:

The reason the feds win so much is because they build solid cases before proceeding. Just be patient, I'm sure your lust for revenge will be sated eventually.

It doesn't take two years to build a case against someone threatening to shoot a teenager for having the temerity of working at a hotel where police might stay at some point in the future. This prosecution isn't happening, and y'all are in denial.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I think we should have let the San Bernardino shooters go, too. Why did we need to shoot them where they stood? Why couldn't we just pick them up when the whole thing cooled down?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

tsa posted:

They also have the option of not filing charges if they don't think they'll win. Federal win/loss percentage isn't a good metric for this kind of thing.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

tsa posted:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/01/oregon-mandatory-minimums/422433/

Good article. What's sad is many posts in this thread are indistinguishable in their hatred and call for police violence to your average freep thread on a 'left wing' protest. Change a couple words and the message is identical: 'destroy those who disagree with me politically'.

If Ferguson had been armed with guns, roaming the streets saying they'd shoot anyone who tried to stop them, the US would've been in the right by shutting down those protests. That's a very false equivalency.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

tsa posted:

Many as in a lot, a majority, or a few vocal posts? Because I don't see it in the first two cases, at all.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Radbot posted:

I think we should have let the San Bernardino shooters go, too. Why did we need to shoot them where they stood? Why couldn't we just pick them up when the whole thing cooled down?

So now we should arrest these hillbillies for pre-crime?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

The reason this protest is allowed by authorities and other ones weren't is because different authorities were involved! If these yahoos were pulling this poo poo in the NYPD's jurisdiction the whole drat building would've been burned down by now.
I do not believe that. If it were say a minority veteran, then yes, they'd burn down the world to kill, especially if there was linked violence with LEO.

Main Paineframe posted:

The modern-day FBI is not generally responsible for shooting unarmed minorities or breaking up left-wing protests. It's highly inaccurate to lump the FBI in with the local police departments that engage in that behavior, especially since the FBI is the entity that investigates civil rights violations by those local police departments.
The FBI itself is only 50 years removed from performing those civil rights violations including loving with OWS

cunny mcalister
Mar 21, 2004

prefect posted:

It's not a totally unified country. It's fifty "united" states. There are tons of differences between states and between levels of governmental authority.

Yes, I understand that. But are the relevant crimes different between states? The issue is in how policing is done, or not done, and we have been presented with so many extremes that we are to accept that it creates whiplash.

I would also like to point out that these guys are apparently so pathetic we should ignore them and so dangerous we shouldn't engage them. Maybe we can discuss this again in 2 years when they do something else while they continue that ever so important case building.

cunny mcalister fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 7, 2016

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

SubponticatePoster posted:

24/7 Rachel Maddow interspersed with episodes of Girls.

Mariachi music.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

prefect posted:

Why are the cops even there if they're not breaking any laws, then?

And yes, we absolutely do arrest people for "pre-crime". It's called "conspiracy to commit..."

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Mormon Star Wars posted:

It doesn't take two years to build a case against someone threatening to shoot a teenager for having the temerity of working at a hotel where police might stay at some point in the future. This prosecution isn't happening, and y'all are in denial.
Can we bring back toxxing please

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Also, characterizing someone literally just wanting people to face some kind of consequences for their actions (which includes threatening people at gunpoint) as a "lust for revenge" is not only intellectually dishonest, it makes you look like an equivocating moron.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

prefect posted:

:colbert: Master P's "Make 'em say Uhh." On a loop.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

prefect posted:

No, arrest them for being disgusting white trash.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Radbot posted:

Why are the cops even there if they're not breaking any laws, then?

They're trespassing, for sure. But if the cops stormed in there, things would go bad in a hurry. Things haven't gotten super-bad yet, so they don't have to rush it.

Radbot posted:

And yes, we absolutely do arrest people for "pre-crime". It's called "conspiracy to commit..."

I don't think you could make a case that these guys are making any kind of credible effort to overthrow the federal government.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
If the FBI teaching Muslim boys how to make bombs and then arresting them is legitimate, arresting these dudes for conspiring to overthrow the government is far, far more legitimate.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

prefect posted:

They're trespassing, for sure. But if the cops stormed in there, things would go bad in a hurry. Things haven't gotten super-bad yet, so they don't have to rush it.

I don't think you could make a case that these guys are making any kind of credible effort to overthrow the federal government.

Aside from amassing arms, and making a call to said arms for all those who would join them? It being laughable in it's very conception doesn't make them any less of a danger to themselves and others.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

prefect posted:

Are trespassing and sedition not crimes any more?

E;F,B

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Talmonis posted:

Aside from amassing arms, and making a call to said arms for all those who would join them? It being laughable in it's very conception doesn't make them any less of a danger to themselves and others.

Oh, I see, it's concern for their welfare that is making you advocate for swiftly putting them down by force.

This thread is loving hilarious, who knew D&D was so concerned with the danger of unpopular minorities engaging in seditious activity?

edit:

Who What Now posted:

they're definitely not crimes D&D has historically favored prosecuting with maximal force, or even prosecuting at all in many cases of political activism

I mean leaving aside the hilarity of terming this "sedition" or being concerned with sedition at all

LGD fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 7, 2016

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Who What Now posted:

E;F,B

So the militia are non-criminals, but they will absolutely be arrested showing liberals to be the fools they are!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Who What Now posted:

E;F,B

Sedition? Seriously? You've got to try a lot harder than what these guys have done to make those charges stick.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Sovereign Citizens have mental illness - their egos have been distorted in an antisocial way. They are a danger to themselves and others and should be institutionalized.

Do people arguing otherwise think Daesh is 'entitled to their opinion' about sovereignty and legal boundaries?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

prefect posted:

Sedition? Seriously? You've got to try a lot harder than what these guys have done to make those charges stick.

The Hutaree ruling was loving stupid.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

LGD posted:

unpopular minorities

Unfortunately, angry white men aren't really a minority voice.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

the trump tutelage posted:

Can we bring back toxxing please

By all means, Toxx yourself that they will be prosecuted. I'm patient enough to wait for a ban two years down the line.

prefect posted:

How are they not trespassing, then? If I break into someone's home while they're away from vacation and threaten to shoot anyone who tries to come for me, should I just be left alone like these people are?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Who What Now posted:

How are they not trespassing, then? If I break into someone's home while their away from vacation and threaten to shoot anyone who tries to come for me, should I just be left alone like these people are?

Yes, they're trespassing. Definitely. But that doesn't mean the right thing to do is drop bombs on them and burn them to death, even though that might be emotionally satisfying.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
^ agreed they should just be blockaded and anyone who leaves gets arrested and given mental help.

I wonder if some executives who got bailout money have some vacant properties. Could make great community centers.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
In lighter news, this just showed up in the pictures thread:

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

"In a wooded 47-acre compound on the Trinity River, about an hour southeast of Dallas, John Joe Gray, 66, quietly carried out what some call the longest standoff in America — a few days shy of 15 years. It officially ended in 2014 when a district attorney dropped charges, but continued nonetheless because Mr. Gray and many law enforcement officials appeared to be unaware the charges had been dropped until they were told by a reporter this week."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/08/u...WT.nav=top-news

Essentially, all the militia groups in the country have been waiting and hoping for another Waco since it happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Lotka Volterra posted:

Unfortunately, angry white men aren't really a minority voice.

I literally laughed out loud at how intellectually bankrupt this particular rhetorical tack is

• Locked thread