Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

regulargonzalez posted:

Well now y'all got me worried. Just took delivery of a 3 sGT yesterday.

Also, there's an annoying rattle that I think is because the driver's side door fits too closely with the dash cowl, and music played at any kind of volume with any bass (and I'm 41, it's not like I'm cranking out dubstep) is insanely annoying, with a kind of vibration / resonance / rattle noise. Anyone else have this? Can / will the dealer do anything about it?

Hi 3 sGT buddy :D

I'd at least call them and see. It's a new car, they ought to at least try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
My 2011 3S was perfect until someone pushed a stalled out Jeep Cherokee into the front end. Had to repaint my bumper for that.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

regulargonzalez posted:

Well now y'all got me worried. Just took delivery of a 3 sGT yesterday.

Also, there's an annoying rattle that I think is because the driver's side door fits too closely with the dash cowl, and music played at any kind of volume with any bass (and I'm 41, it's not like I'm cranking out dubstep) is insanely annoying, with a kind of vibration / resonance / rattle noise. Anyone else have this? Can / will the dealer do anything about it?

I got it too, but it goes away when it gets warmer outside, typically shows up when cold out. From what I can tell its the inner seal since there is no leak when raining. Just been too apathetic to take it in, will mention it when my next maintence is, which is 5 months or 1500 miles according to the computer.

I love my little car.

You got the hatchback right?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
We bought a 2005 6i for my wife over the summer from my father in law, within a week of getting it one of my wife's coworkers backed her mildly lifted Jeep Cherokee into/over the front end and hosed up the hood, passenger side headlight, both fenders and some of the trim pieces right below the windshield. Caused about $5k in damage.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Geoj posted:

We bought a 2005 6i for my wife over the summer from my father in law, within a week of getting it one of my wife's coworkers backed her mildly lifted Jeep Cherokee into/over the front end and hosed up the hood, passenger side headlight, both fenders and some of the trim pieces right below the windshield. Caused about $5k in damage.

Was the car even worth $5K?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

2014 s Touring, two weeks after I got it a rock hit my windshield and spider webbed it. The car was so new in the country that it took 2 weeks to get a new windshield, and even then it had to be imported from Canada.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Rhyno posted:

Was the car even worth $5K?

IIRC it bluebooked around $6k. It was super low mileage for its age (60,000), the previous owner parked it in 2008 after it spun a rod bearing. My FIL buys, restores and flips damaged cars so it was one of his projects. He bought it for $3k and put a junkyard Ford 2.3L duratec in it and sold it to us at a hair over cost. It was very close to being totaled out even with the body shop using mostly used parts.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

overdesigned posted:

Hi 3 sGT buddy :D

I'd at least call them and see. It's a new car, they ought to at least try.
Sup! Manual transmission for you too?

Alighieri posted:

I got it too, but it goes away when it gets warmer outside, typically shows up when cold out. From what I can tell its the inner seal since there is no leak when raining. Just been too apathetic to take it in, will mention it when my next maintence is, which is 5 months or 1500 miles according to the computer.

I love my little car.

You got the hatchback right?
Hatch was a requirement -- need something to haul my bikes around since I'm irrationally scared of my bike falling off of a roof rack or rear rack, no matter how safe I know them to be. Up until this car, my bike was my most expensive form of transportation and I just feel much safer hauling it around inside the car rather than outside.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice
I'm looking for input on a decent daily driver suspension build for my '13 MS3. I currently have the JBR 1.24" rear sway bar and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's in factory size. I'm looking for minimal drop (perhaps 1.5" at most) and spring rates/damping that are aggressive but still tolerable for a 45 minute commute. The car will never see a track, so adjustability isn't a priority. Basically, I think a simple spring and strut combo would probably work for me, but I'd entertain the notion of coilovers as long as they're not complete overkill for my needs.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

MourningGlory posted:

I'm looking for input on a decent daily driver suspension build for my '13 MS3. I currently have the JBR 1.24" rear sway bar and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's in factory size. I'm looking for minimal drop (perhaps 1.5" at most) and spring rates/damping that are aggressive but still tolerable for a 45 minute commute. The car will never see a track, so adjustability isn't a priority. Basically, I think a simple spring and strut combo would probably work for me, but I'd entertain the notion of coilovers as long as they're not complete overkill for my needs.

I just got Koni FSD's. Not much of a drop to speak of, and it's all around an upgrade over the stock suspension. No complaints.

From a post on MSF and I agree on all points:

quote:

They make the ride around town more comfortable.
They get rid of a lot of road noise, I always blamed the tires, but I think half the noise was the shocks transmitting more noise/vibes to the body.
They tamed the dangerous amplified bounces, into just one mild dampened bounce.
They got rid of most (75%) of the other bounces.
They made the car feel MUCH better at high speed. 80-140. I would say the car now feels like it is going 40 mph slower than it used to, so at 120 with the FSD's it feels like it used to at 80 on the OEM's.

e: I have a 2008 MS3, stock springs, a JBR rear sway bar as well (stiffer setting). Tires are Hankook Ventus V12 evo2's in 225/40/18.

air- fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 8, 2016

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice
What springs are you using?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Speaking of tyres what's a good reasonably quiet choice for a first gen MS3 in the stock size?

I've currently got Falken ZE-912s on the rear and I'm not sure whether they just suck or have perished or something but road noise is extreme on the typical course chip crap the roads are mostly made of around here.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

dissss posted:

Speaking of tyres what's a good reasonably quiet choice for a first gen MS3 in the stock size?

I've currently got Falken ZE-912s on the rear and I'm not sure whether they just suck or have perished or something but road noise is extreme on the typical course chip crap the roads are mostly made of around here.

Michelin Pilot Super Sport. Downside is they're pretty pricy (they are like $240 USD a tire)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Hmmm even more expensive here, like $400+ USD per corner

They also don't seem to come in the stock 215/45R18 size

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The Conti's are consistently highly rated by both mags and people that have got em, from what ive seen. The all season ExtremeContact DWS 06, which tire rack has for $141.20 each, might be a good bet. I don't have any personal experience with em, though.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Cygni posted:

The Conti's are consistently highly rated by both mags and people that have got em, from what ive seen. The all season ExtremeContact DWS 06, which tire rack has for $141.20 each, might be a good bet. I don't have any personal experience with em, though.

The DW are great if you don't need all seasons like the DWS.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I got hit with the mazda curse a few weeks into ownership of my '08 3, an rear end in a top hat former friend backed into my car while drunk and left a nice turquoise scratch on the rear bumper, never even offered to pay for it.

Anyways. Do you guys have any tips for breaking rusted rotors? My rears are on there loving SOLID and I'd prefer not to angle-grind them off if I don't have to.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

MA-Horus posted:

Anyways. Do you guys have any tips for breaking rusted rotors? My rears are on there loving SOLID and I'd prefer not to angle-grind them off if I don't have to.

This method has never failed me. No need for pounding the poo poo out of it with a BFH either

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMuHKDI00rw

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

That's a drat good idea, no worries about cracking the caliper bracket though?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Got my EGR valve off along with the pipe and ran. I soaked the pipe in a bunch of Carb cleaner and ran a bunch of gun swabs through it, and did my best to clean out the EGR valve as well. Hopefully this will get rid of the CEL for another 60k miles. If it comes back I will be very tempted to buy a AP, block off the EGR, and get a TIP, intake, and maybe some other goodies.

Having gotten this far in disassembly, I'm kind of regretting not having bought an oil catch can. If this comes around again, I'll also probably do the whole walnut shell blasting of the intake valves.

I also got my front rotors and pads replaced. The driver side inside face of the rotor must've gotten a stone stuck between it and the pad because it had two deep gouges right at the edge. The stock pads still had plenty of life left, however.

Tomorrow, I'm going to change out the thermostat, serpentine belt, and trans fluid.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I'm about ready for my first tank of gas in my 4 day old Mazda3 2.5L. The manual says 87 octane but the engine runs at a pretty high compression - is it worth putting 89 / 91 in there?

(Possibly complicating the matter is that I live in the Denver area, and I guess due to the high elevation engines need less octane or something? Instead of 87 / 91, gas stations have 85 / 89. Also, it's virtually impossible to find non-Ethanol here. Should I put in the effort to locate some non-alcohol gas?)

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

regulargonzalez posted:

I'm about ready for my first tank of gas in my 4 day old Mazda3 2.5L. The manual says 87 octane but the engine runs at a pretty high compression - is it worth putting 89 / 91 in there?

(Possibly complicating the matter is that I live in the Denver area, and I guess due to the high elevation engines need less octane or something? Instead of 87 / 91, gas stations have 85 / 89. Also, it's virtually impossible to find non-Ethanol here. Should I put in the effort to locate some non-alcohol gas?)

I used to be pretty paranoid about this. I even thought my car "knocked" a little bit on 87. For the first year I filled up with 91 almost exclusively. Since about July of this year though I have been using 87 with no consequences or difference in performance.

I've used both Ethanol and Ethanol free gas and I found that the only difference is a slight change in fuel consumption.

Just fill up with 87 or whatever is closest to it. That's what your car started with when the dealership fueled it up for you.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
They can recommend regular octane because with fancy multiple direct injection, the fuel doesn't get shot in until after the cylinder is compressed and ready to fire, correct?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, it's somewhere between a traditional gas and a diesel. Because the fuel gets injected at the last possible moment, you greatly reduce the risk of knock in the first place. You also get some additional cooling of the fuel/air charge compared to anything else.

Run whatever it says in the manual. I think in your shoes I might run 89 if 87 is not available.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

85 should be fine at your altitude. If you're really paranoid, bump it up one grade. Really though you don't need to spend extra money on higher octane. Don't bother yourself to seek out non-ethanol gas. It's pretty tough nowadays and I imagine it was calibrated for E10 anyway (since it's more or less the standard now).

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Well, I somehow ordered the wrong belt from rockauto, and wound up with a 20" long accessory belt for some variant of the MZR with a separate AC belt/pulley.

I went over to Advance auto for a belt and the one they sold me (Dayco, maybe) was maybe an inch or more too short and I couldn't get it onto the crank with the tensioner fully released-- without risk of damaging the belt.

I wound up putting the old one back on. I guess I'll buy a new one direct from Mazda next time.

In other news, I discovered that my driver side transaxle seal is leaking and will need to be replaced one day.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

MetaJew posted:

Well, I somehow ordered the wrong belt from rockauto, and wound up with a 20" long accessory belt for some variant of the MZR with a separate AC belt/pulley.

I went over to Advance auto for a belt and the one they sold me (Dayco, maybe) was maybe an inch or more too short and I couldn't get it onto the crank with the tensioner fully released-- without risk of damaging the belt.

I wound up putting the old one back on. I guess I'll buy a new one direct from Mazda next time.

In other news, I discovered that my driver side transaxle seal is leaking and will need to be replaced one day.

I'm gonna have to do my belt when the weather is a little nicer. It doesn't look like it's that difficult, any tips?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Its not too bad. I'd recommend getting an OEM belt from a dealership to avoid any hassle with getting one that is slightly too short. You'll need a 14 mm socket or wrench with a cheater and a 21 mm socket and ratchet for the crank shaft.

Remove the floor pan, passenger side wheel, and wheel well liner, turn the tensioner clockwise to loosen it, and pop off the old belt.

To get the new one on you might need a second pair of hands, look up the diagram to route it or refer to this video:

[video type="youtu"]4SWVlbyfCmg[/video]

Route the belt over everything except the crank pulley, loosen the tensioner, and ease the belt onto the pulley, and rotate the crank to walk the belt on. It is harder than it sounds.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

For what it's worth, the part number usually includes some form of belt length in it. I used that to my advantage on my LS1 swap since the one the custom bracket manufacturer recommended was a tiny bit short.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I mean that's true, but the Dayco belt had the same size in the part number as the Gates belt that Rockauto says is "OE Exact". \/:)\/

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?
I have a 2007 MS3. Has anyone found a place that has off the shelf bumper lightbar mounts for them or am I going to have to go with a custom solution?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

What do you need a light bar for? I can't imagine there is an off the shelf solution unless you're screwing it into the bumper.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

MA-Horus posted:

That's a drat good idea, no worries about cracking the caliper bracket though?

That's why you use cheap hardware store nuts and bolts to do it. If the caliber bracket yields before the cheap fasteners then its probably for the best that you're replacing the bracket

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

TheGreySpectre posted:

I have a 2007 MS3. Has anyone found a place that has off the shelf bumper lightbar mounts for them or am I going to have to go with a custom solution?

If they exist I can almost guarantee they come from an Australian company :v:

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Did a Mazda AUS sell a factory roo bar for the MS3? I know they sold a tow hitch kit for it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just spent half an hour kicking and pounding on the passenger side muffler to break it off the rest of the way. Previous owner made a mess of things down there. I knew I should have hung on to that Corksport exhaust system.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
My brother is planning on buying a Focus ST in November and is going to either trade in or private party his '08 MS3. Said he wants to get at least $4k for it. It's mostly stock other than a TIP, Corksport adjustable suspension and aftermarket wheels and currently has 71k on the OD.

Any reason I should pass on it? Do first gen MS3s turn into ticking timebombs after 100k or do they last if driven responsibly?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I got $7500 in trade from a dealer for mine. On one hand it was just under three years ago, on the other it had nearly twice the mileage, an intermittent miss, a dying CV joint, something fucky in the front suspension / subframe bushings, and a dying compressor.

$4k for a MS3 would almost make me jump back into one to have something better to drive if when the WJ is broken.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Yeah $4k is outrageously low, even if it has a salvage title or something. I got $12.5k for my 08 a few months ago with 50k miles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Looking for those cars with that low of mileage when I was looking for cars recently was impossible. Easily $15k here.