Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Alot of it doesn't even seem to be an issue of resources though, if nothing else they could easily have rolled Goetia and other-Goetia and Big Guy into one character called Goetia and actually had a persistent, recurring antagonist - this would have actually reduced the burden on assest creation. There's absolutely no reason why even on a limited scope the characters on the main path had to be so ineptly written to the extent they're overshadowed by minor sidequest NPCs. Like I said with the Xord example, he's in two scenes in the game, on Bionis Leg and then the Ether Mine, he didn't require huge amounts of backstory or lengthy exposition dumps, they just used his screentime wisely to make interesting stuff happen on the screen when he's there. Instead we have Luxarr waffling on about shitnoonecaresabout.txt, arse shots of Goetia's terrible costume and a heavily choregraphed scene where an optional superboss beats up a monster you just killed for no reason

Yeah, I really don't know the answer to why each main story beat is off, only that reduced focus on the main story would explain why it's kind of a mess to begin with. I could see the chapter 5 thing being again like a call to go explore and find that dragon but who knows.

Luxaar is also classic comic super villain - inept, inexplicably angry at his subjects, constantly begging the question of why he's in power to begin with, obsessed with prophecy to the point that he especially embraces the part where it leads to his downfall because he can't let poo poo go. That's the funny thing - if he just let it go to begin with, he would have been just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

The Taint Reaper posted:

There is, get brimestone rain and then wait a few minutes for brimestone rain to end. You'll get a rainbow. Brimstone starts to spawn at 7am so reset your clock to 7 and then keep returning to skell or teleporting until you get it.

I just got that Saltat in question. The Rainbow appeared by the time I got done fighting through the cave.

AFAIK rainbows are still random, just have a good chance. Maybe you got lucky, I'll try again when I'm not farming augments.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

One of the frustrating things about the Ganglion is that the Manon make some remark about how they're basically just a criminal syndicate, and it's like, man, the Space Mafia should be a lot more interesting than they are.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I refuse to believe most of the human genocide was not the other alien race because the Ganglion are just so incompetent. The only member of their staff who is competent is Lao and he's not really even on their side so much as acting out of complete irrational spite. They're so one-note and have to be led to their goal by someone else to actually get close to achieving their goal.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
One of the things they should've done is drop maybe a quarter of the party members (still keeping them as NPC's) and use their Affinity Mission budget on story or the other characters (like L, who doesn't exist story-wise past his intro).

Gwin's very minimal content could be folded into appearing in Irena's.

Doug's non-existent for story content beyond the opening visit to NLA and giving the PC's someone to talk to that isn't Vandham.

The Murderess could just be outright excised at no loss because loving hell. :stare:

Lao could go as well (as a party member), because even his affinity missions all consist of "hi guys, bye guys, have fun guys :wave:".

bloodychill posted:

Yeah, I really don't know the answer to why each main story beat is off, only that reduced focus on the main story would explain why it's kind of a mess to begin with. I could see the chapter 5 thing being again like a call to go explore and find that dragon but who knows.

Luxaar is also classic comic super villain - inept, inexplicably angry at his subjects, constantly begging the question of why he's in power to begin with, obsessed with prophecy to the point that he especially embraces the part where it leads to his downfall because he can't let poo poo go. That's the funny thing - if he just let it go to begin with, he would have been just fine.

Story-side it really feels like they tanked the budget and only got Act 1 and Act 2 of a three-act story out the door. It all ends on the cusp of that moment in most JRPG's where things normally go really off the rails and god comes down to start killing entire towns, or it turns out everything is really a videogame. They don't work as a post-credit stinger for a non-existent sequel :argh:. You can also kinda tell the Wrothians were probably the last race added to the game, because their content is a lot more sparse than the Prone, or even the Zaruboggans. They don't even have strolling NPC models for NLA's streets.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCnDFJS4KG4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZExi5GTeTVs

Man watching the Xord cutscene and the Goetia cutscene side-by-side is a little heartbreaking.

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.

The music...is so overbearing!

but I forgive it because it's so good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tipme posted:

The music...is so overbearing!

but I forgive it because it's so good.

It's also actually balanced so you can still hear what people are saying :v:.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Neddy Seagoon posted:

One of the things they should've done is drop maybe a quarter of the party members (still keeping them as NPC's) and use their Affinity Mission budget on story or the other characters (like L, who doesn't exist story-wise past his intro).

Doug's non-existent for story content beyond the opening visit to NLA and giving the PC's someone to talk to that isn't Vandham.

The Murderess could just be outright excised at no loss because loving hell. :stare:

Lao could go as well (as a party member), because even his affinity missions all consist of "hi guys, bye guys, have fun guys :wave:".

Story-side it really feels like they tanked the budget and only got Act 1 and Act 2 of a three-act story out the door. It all ends on the cusp of that moment in most JRPG's where things normally go really off the rails and god comes down to start killing entire towns, or it turns out everything is really a videogame. They don't work as a post-credit stinger for a non-existent sequel :argh:. You can also kinda tell the Wrothians were probably the last race added to the game, because their content is a lot more sparse than the Prone, or even the Zaruboggans. They don't even have strolling NPC models for NLA's streets.

The Wrothians do actually have some peeps on the streets. I'm not sure if they were a last minute add-on but I'm glad they were added because I like their future samurai/ninja aesthetic and the battle with them is classic samurai stuff, all taking place in some mystical moon-lot garden in Sylvanum. If I had my way, Gwin or one of the brothers would have been replaced by a Wrothian party member.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There are too few traits (both personality and gameplay) distributed among too many characters, along with the tedium of having to manage everyone's equipment, skills, and arts. It wouldn't be as bad if party members had some interaction with each other, but they interact almost exclusively with Cross who is a non-character. I wouldn't mind a silent protagonist if they played straight man to some more colorful characters, but almost everyone is some mild variant of "human soldierman".

The DLC was pretty weird too. Alexa was what Lin should have been and I can't figure out why they thought the game needed a weaboo space Nazi.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCnDFJS4KG4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZExi5GTeTVs

Man watching the Xord cutscene and the Goetia cutscene side-by-side is a little heartbreaking.

Xord's VA really earned his keep for a minor bit-part villain

Also:

Sharla: I swear I won't stop UNTIL I'VE SCRAPPED EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU! *shoots a wave of mechon in a dynamically shot action scene, Shulk zantetsukens another offhandedly*

Lin: Why did you do this? Why do you hate us? :( *does nothing*

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bloodychill posted:

The Wrothians do actually have some peeps on the streets. I'm not sure if they were a last minute add-on but I'm glad they were added because I like their future samurai/ninja aesthetic and the battle with them is classic samurai stuff, all taking place in some mystical moon-lot garden in Sylvanum. If I had my way, Gwin or one of the brothers would have been replaced by a Wrothian party member.

Nah, I mean the walking ones on the streets of the Commercial and Residential Districts, not the idle standing ones. And yeah, they really could've had a Wrothian party member because their body models are pretty much identical to the scalable human ones (if not actually the same). Just half-rear end it with a Wrothian head and a tail clipping out the pants, then call it a day. One thing I actually liked with the Wrothians in the city was they weren't all straight-up bushido weeaboo warriors because the Wrothians are all proud warriors and that's all we'll ever be :patriot:. Some of them happily jumped ship to live their own lives in NLA out of culture shock from finding other ways to live day-to-day.

Microcline posted:

There are too few traits (both personality and gameplay) distributed among too many characters, along with the tedium of having to manage everyone's equipment, skills, and arts. It wouldn't be as bad if party members had some interaction with each other, but they interact almost exclusively with Cross who is a non-character. I wouldn't mind a silent protagonist if they played straight man to some more colorful characters, but almost everyone is some mild variant of "human soldierman".

The DLC was pretty weird too. Alexa was what Lin should have been and I can't figure out why they thought the game needed a weaboo space Nazi.

I think they should've just put Alexa in instead of Lin as the default third party member. They both fill the same character type, and the whole thing of Lin being 13 does nothing but come off as creepy :pedo:. There's at least potential for pulling some story/Affinity Mission beats out of Lin being the only kid in the city or something, but instead the only relevant parts of it are "her parents were engineers on the White Whale", which has no real bearing on her age at all (Just look at Mia's story arc for the same thing).

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Xord's VA really earned his keep for a minor bit-part villain

Also:

Sharla: I swear I won't stop UNTIL I'VE SCRAPPED EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU! *shoots a wave of mechon in a dynamically shot action scene, Shulk zantetsukens another offhandedly*

Lin: Why did you do this? Why do you hate us? :( *does nothing*

Doubly painful when you think that for the most part, mechon are virtually invincible to anything besides the Sword of God or being stunned, dazed, toppled, kicked straight in the little Mechonis and laughed at. But Sharla's giving 0 fucks.

in X, everything is basically equally squishy.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
If you're not hunting down every single last Tyrant you're missing some incredibly well hidden areas.

There's a shitload of places like a flower field in Oblivia, a Crystal Cave in Sylv, and an entire Xen-dom hidden within a building in Cauldros. There's also tyrants scattered around the hidden islands that are not visible on the map. Including one located on an island with two sleeping baelenas and a chest containing 90% Opening Damage.

Sandsprint Cavity was a cleverly hidden area.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

FeyerbrandX posted:

Doubly painful when you think that for the most part, mechon are virtually invincible to anything besides the Sword of God or being stunned, dazed, toppled, kicked straight in the little Mechonis and laughed at. But Sharla's giving 0 fucks.

in X, everything is basically equally squishy.

Shulk used Enchant so Sharla could shoot them. There's another scene before this, when you meet Xord for the first time, where Reyn tries to Topple him, and it's actually really nice to see the characters fulfilling their roles in combat during cutscenes, you know?

(Well... compared to X, it's nice to see the characters like... moving around and doing anything at all in cutscenes instead of just doing that one defensive pose and then pulling out their weapon right before the battle begins)

The Taint Reaper posted:

If you're not hunting down every single last Tyrant you're missing some incredibly well hidden areas.

There's a shitload of places like a flower field in Oblivia, a Crystal Cave in Sylv, and an entire Xen-dom hidden within a building in Cauldros. There's also tyrants scattered around the hidden islands that are not visible on the map. Including one located on an island with two sleeping baelenas and a chest containing 90% Opening Damage.

Sandsprint Cavity was a cleverly hidden area.

The only interesting one I've found was the giant pit that runs from the top of Talon Rock all the way down to sea level.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nah, I mean the walking ones on the streets of the Commercial and Residential Districts, not the idle standing ones. And yeah, they really could've had a Wrothian party member because their body models are pretty much identical to the scalable human ones (if not actually the same). Just half-rear end it with a Wrothian head and a tail clipping out the pants, then call it a day. One thing I actually liked with the Wrothians in the city was they weren't all straight-up bushido weeaboo warriors because the Wrothians are all proud warriors and that's all we'll ever be :patriot:. Some of them happily jumped ship to live their own lives in NLA out of culture shock from finding other ways to live day-to-day.

I think they should've just put Alexa in instead of Lin as the default third party member. They both fill the same character type, and the whole thing of Lin being 13 does nothing but come off as creepy :pedo:. There's at least potential for pulling some story/Affinity Mission beats out of Lin being the only kid in the city or something, but instead the only relevant parts of it are "her parents were engineers on the White Whale", which has no real bearing on her age at all (Just look at Mia's story arc for the same thing).

Lin is the "heart" of the party, which Alexa doesn't fit at all. I love Alexa but she's very clearly just a geek fangirl while Lin is a geek engineer. I like Lin a lot too, they can coexist. But between the brothers, Gwin, Yelv, Irina, weeb nazi, and Doug, there's a whole lot of "generic soldier" that could have been coalesced into three or so much more rich characters. Alexa could always use more love too.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

bloodychill posted:

Lin is the "heart" of the party, which Alexa doesn't fit at all. I love Alexa but she's very clearly just a geek fangirl while Lin is a geek engineer. I like Lin a lot too, they can coexist. But between the brothers, Gwin, Yelv, Irina, weeb nazi, and Doug, there's a whole lot of "generic soldier" that could have been coalesced into three or so much more rich characters. Alexa could always use more love too.

Blasphemy! The obnoxious arrogant rear end in a top hat is completely different and can't be combined with the obnoxious arrogant dick or the vaguely tolerable-at least until you find out he's racist- mentor character.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Boze should've been a central character with an arc and not just a really funny rear end in a top hat.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bloodychill posted:

I probably could've worded that a little better, but I mean more "swap Alexa into Lin's spot, rewrite Lin's specific bits for Alexa" rather than a blind cut-and-paste. The only really interesting soldiers are Yelv, Irena and Boze', because they're all psychologically hosed up in interesting ways due to losing people from the White Whale crash and Earth dying, rather than just "Earth's gone, poo poo happens :shrug:" like the rest.

Hell, the only time Lin tries to be the heart of the party are the worst bits of writing in the game;

"NO, DON'T SHOOT THE TRAITOR TRYING TO GET US ALL KILLED! :qq:"

"NO, DON'T KILL THE UNHOLY ABOMINATION TRYING TO KILL US ALL AND THE LIFEHOLD CORE! :qq:"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Boze isn't interesting, he's just a fuckwit.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
Boze's kinda funny in that the couple Heart-to-Hearts I've had with him I've just called him a dipshit the entire time and he likes me more for it. Never don't poo poo all over that guy.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Nagi can stay because he feels like an Easter Egg, which I'm fine with.

Not sure how I feel about The Murderess. She's an rear end in a top hat but she brings something different to the party, but the "I'm a huge rear end in a top hat because I only want money and I will even kill for it even though we're on the brink of extinction but literally no one is going to ever point that out" thing is something that comes up in a lot of other missions. Like I can think of three different quest lines off the top of my head.

Phog feels like he could have been rolled into Gwin, since both of their defining features is that they're kind of wussy. Well, maybe Gwin should have been rolled in with Phog since Phog has three character traits (Wussy, pothead, has a brother), while Gwin only has two (Wussy, likes Irina). The sibling aspect would actually have given Gwin and Irina something to bond over.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Phog is like one of the four characters I give a poo poo about, roll Gwin into him

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Who are the other three.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Vandham, Irina, and Lin/Tatsu, they're basically a package deal I guess

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I also like Ga Jiarg, but he's not a playable character for some reason even though he's cooler than the whole cast

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Does something additional need to be done to get Frye to join your gang, even after his first mission? He just says he wants to stay and drink all day.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Louisgod posted:

Does something additional need to be done to get Frye to join your gang, even after his first mission? He just says he wants to stay and drink all day.

Is Phog in your party? I'm pretty sure he won't join your party if Phog's in it.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

ChaosArgate posted:

Is Phog in your party? I'm pretty sure he won't join your party if Phog's in it.

Yep that was it, didn't realize he was such a Phog hater. Surprised he didn't have on a shirt that says "God Hates Phogs".

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

To be honest I don't really see why people like Alexa. She's probably the worst case of way overdoing her wacky defining trait.

She does get you basically free level 60 skells though, I'll give her that.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Louisgod posted:

Yep that was it, didn't realize he was such a Phog hater. Surprised he didn't have on a shirt that says "God Hates Phogs".

The other way around is true too. Phog will be too busy if Frye's in the party. Of course finding out what he's too busy doing would take about 50 hours of waiting for him to realize you're there.

I'm shocked that Irna/Murderess aren't the same way.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I just finished this game.

I am angry at the story.

That is all.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Louisgod posted:

Is there anyone who didn't have just a brief moment of "Wait what the... Oh, his name is Phog" the first time you spotted him in the Residential District because of the tiny font?

chumbler posted:

To be honest I don't really see why people like Alexa. She's probably the worst case of way overdoing her wacky defining trait.

She does get you basically free level 60 skells though, I'll give her that.

Its more that she's not Generic Soldier No. 6 than anything else. She'd be worse off amidst a better offering of characters.

TurnipFritter posted:

Nagi can stay because he feels like an Easter Egg, which I'm fine with.

Not sure how I feel about The Murderess. She's an rear end in a top hat but she brings something different to the party, but the "I'm a huge rear end in a top hat because I only want money and I will even kill for it even though we're on the brink of extinction but literally no one is going to ever point that out" thing is something that comes up in a lot of other missions. Like I can think of three different quest lines off the top of my head.

Phog feels like he could have been rolled into Gwin, since both of their defining features is that they're kind of wussy. Well, maybe Gwin should have been rolled in with Phog since Phog has three character traits (Wussy, pothead, has a brother), while Gwin only has two (Wussy, likes Irina). The sibling aspect would actually have given Gwin and Irina something to bond over.

Rolling Gwin into Phog would be a good way to do it, hell you could even adapt Phog's story to it with another brother of Phog and Frye being left behind instead of their Dad.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

I also don't get why there are two levels of each weapon specialization. A duelist can use all samurai gunner arts and receives bonuses to the same stats so why do we need both of them?

Baal posted:

I also like Ga Jiarg, but he's not a playable character for some reason even though he's cooler than the whole cast

If I had to do it I'd probably set it as

Cross (wildcard)

Elma (Fullmetal Jaguar)
Alexa/Lin hybrid (Astral Crusader)
Ga Jiarg (Galactic Knight)
Nagi (Samurai Gunner)
L (Bastion Warrior)
Orpheon party member (Mastermind)

It feels like a step back from Xenoblade in how apart from a few cases like Nagi character's classes/arts don't have anything to do with them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Microcline posted:

I also don't get why there are two levels of each weapon specialization. A duelist can use all samurai gunner arts and receives bonuses to the same stats so why do we need both of them?

If I had to do it I'd probably set it as

Cross (wildcard)

Elma (Fullmetal Jaguar)
Alexa/Lin hybrid (Astral Crusader)
Ga Jiarg (Galactic Knight)
Nagi (Samurai Gunner)
L (Bastion Warrior)
Orpheon party member (Mastermind)

It feels like a step back from Xenoblade in how apart from a few cases like Nagi character's classes/arts don't have anything to do with them.

I'd say Celica and Rock could stay as the Mastermind rather than an Orphean (especially as they're all pacifists), just because they at least fill out the city with a little more variety like Rock helping in construction. It's not much, but it's better than yet another soldier. It'd also be better off with a unique Wrothian rather than Ga Jiarg, just because it'd mean any discussion or mission with any Wrothian gets bogged down with "MY PRINCE! :swoon:"

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I probably could've worded that a little better, but I mean more "swap Alexa into Lin's spot, rewrite Lin's specific bits for Alexa" rather than a blind cut-and-paste. The only really interesting soldiers are Yelv, Irena and Boze', because they're all psychologically hosed up in interesting ways due to losing people from the White Whale crash and Earth dying, rather than just "Earth's gone, poo poo happens :shrug:" like the rest.

Hell, the only time Lin tries to be the heart of the party are the worst bits of writing in the game;

"NO, DON'T SHOOT THE TRAITOR TRYING TO GET US ALL KILLED! :qq:"

"NO, DON'T KILL THE UNHOLY ABOMINATION TRYING TO KILL US ALL AND THE LIFEHOLD CORE! :qq:"

Well, Doug also always becomes a softy for Lin and the rest of the cast often comes to her defense as well. Regarding her late game shenanigans, I did get her defense the first time but I started laughing the second time like ok Lin that's enough, let us kill the rampaging monstrosity that is going to kill us all and probably wants to die. Oh there he just said he wants to die, Lin, is it ok to kill him now.

Combining them together makes sense, though. Give Alexa Lin's back story and engineer job and Tatsu and you have pretty much a complete character, something of a rarity in this game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Doug would be cool if you gave him more lines so I could hear Patrick Seitz talk more

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bloodychill posted:

I did get her defense the first time but I started laughing the second time like ok Lin that's enough, let us kill the rampaging monstrosity that is going to kill us all and probably wants to die. Oh there he just said he wants to die, Lin, is it ok to kill him now.

Seriously. Uh, Lin? Have you seen what Lao's turned into? He can certainly see you. From the eye in his shoulder, Lin. I don't think having an animal menagerie for an arm and fingers growing out of your other shoulder is something you want to accept and go about your life with.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Phog is cool. His heart-to-hearts are entertaining. He loves me a lot more than Frye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I want to give Phog a big hug.

• Locked thread