Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Waffles Inc. posted:

This is a fairly good point; after the FO showed up on Takodana did Han and company figure "gently caress it, they can know the falcon's location"? They didn't know about the Starkiller yet so they probably didn't just assume.

It's certainly a result of rewrites and/or last-minute reedits, since the story being told visually contradicts the dialogue.

The visual story is that Han wants to get to the Resistance base as quickly as possible, because they keep getting spotted and ratted out. (Question: why does the First Order have a large network of sympathizers everywhere?). They risk going to Maz to because Han doesn't know where the resistance are. After all, why would he? The resistance are a secretive group, and Han's been estranged from Leia for decades.

They either removed a subplot about making the Falcon untraceable or, more likely, added expository dialogue to explain what the gently caress Han is doing.

We already know that there were major edits to that middle section of the film, removing scenes with Maz, Leia and so-on. My best guess is that they were attempting to streamline the narrative by just having Han 'already know' where Leia is.

Soggy Cereal posted:

"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter" is the essence of Star Wars Christian Buddhism, and is unambiguously good, or intended to be good by Lucas.

Not it's not.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I kind of wish Padme had cheated on Anakin with ObiWan and the prequels ended on a shocking twist that Darth Vader was, not, in fact, the father.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

JUST SAW IT WOW

REY SIT ON MY FACE!!!!!!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

jivjov posted:

Don't forget Han's 'job offer'. Its clear that the two bond quickly, and Rey already knew about Han (and not as a rebellion general, but as a famous smuggler [a career that Han says was "the only thing he was ever good at"]) Even if its only a short relationship, they're clearing setting Han up as a mentor, while also showing that Rey has some new tricks she can teach the older man.

But they just needed a regular conversation or two when things were quiet and it would be so much stronger than what's between action scenes. Unless he would have gotten creepy uncle with her after five more minutes and that's the real reason he left the rebellion.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

NecroMonster posted:

I don't love the PT in fact I rather hate it, as entertainment, doesn't mean they aren't interesting films, important to the starwars as a whole, or a fascinating peek into George Lucas's mind

I suppose they're interesting in this regard. Lucas seems to find liberal democracies easily corruptible and less than ideal. What we're left watching is a war between fascists and religious fundamentalists. Both sides are wretched so who the gently caress cares who wins? Not that the audience could get emotionally invested in anything from the PT because the outcome is a forgone conclusion and we're just going through the motions. Gigantic CGI battles between Clones and Robots! No matter who wins, the audience loses.

The PT(and Red Tails after it) also shows Lucas taste in cinema has not and will not proceed past the 1950's. It's infantile.

Really, the best Star Wars fans ever had is was right after the OT and before the SE were announced. We had a clear, satisfying and self-contained story that wasn't mucked up with endless changes. No fairly wretched prequels, no buyout from Disney etc. Star Wars was done and that was fine.

Soggy Cereal posted:

Also "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter" is the essence of Star Wars Christian Buddhism, and is unambiguously good

Word

Yaws fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 8, 2016

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

JUST SAW IT WOW

REY SIT ON MY FACE!!!!!!

The movie made me gay for Oscar Isaac. My marriage has been destroyed. Please be careful when watching Star Wars.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Raxivace posted:

It's like David Lynch reinterpreted the Seinfeld theme.

I mean, what is the deal with these Jedi robes? Are we farmers? I gotta tell ya, during my last visit to Tatooine I wasn't farming any moisture. And the sleeves. This might be why they don't let me gamble. Jedi magic tricks in my sleeve can carry a whole sabaac deck in each.

Dum da dum

Ya ever noticed how Yoda talks? The other day he says "try the blue milk.." So I did, and it was curdled way after its expired date! Disgusting! I said "Hey Yoda why'd ya make me drink it?" And he he said "...you should not because bad it is"

Da dum dum

I saw Yarael Poof fighting a sith the other day. Yeesh. Did he pick the wrong profession!? May as well just have a big sign - cut neck here to win. Did evolution make some mistakes on his planet or what? Wanna eat from the tallest tree? Use ya arms!

Da da da dum

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's certainly a result of rewrites and/or last-minute reedits, since the story being told visually contradicts the dialogue.

The visual story is that Han wants to get to the Resistance base as quickly as possible, because they keep getting spotted and ratted out. (Question: why does the First Order have a large network of sympathizers everywhere?). They risk going to Maz to because Han doesn't know where the resistance are. After all, why would he? The resistance are a secretive group, and Han's been estranged from Leia for decades.

They either removed a subplot about making the Falcon untraceable or, more likely, added expository dialogue to explain what the gently caress Han is doing.

We already know that there were major edits to that middle section of the film, removing scenes with Maz, Leia and so-on. My best guess is that they were attempting to streamline the narrative by just having Han 'already know' where Leia is.

Not it's not.

I don't think the Falcon was traceable at that point. They probably shut down any transmitters off camera. It's just that the FO is apparently very good at getting information. First they put the alert out for the droid and had merchants on Jakkar and smugglers in space looking for it. Once they linked BB-8 with Han Solo you had patrons at Maz's looking for him.

If anyone in the galaxy could maintain a monetary system, it's probably the FO. Republic credits were being scoffed at in Episode 1. By Episode 7 people would sell their moms for some hard currency.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The overreaction to the RLM review voice and the serial killer jokes is pretty silly. The voice is funny and character-appropriate after you get past the first few minutes, and the serial killer skits are a result of B-movie horror fans/director trying to break up straightforward rants.

At the very least, nobody who is fine with Jar Jar should be whining about the first part.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
It's not traceable because of any transmitters, it's because it's the Millennium Falcon and everybody probably knows its broadcast codes by now. It's a famous ship.

Soggy Cereal
Jan 8, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

The power struggle between Palpatine and the Jedi Order seems much more magnified and, ah, palpable. Much of the entire first half is "taken up" by the Order and Palpatine's tennis-court back-and-forth about how much power the other should be allowed to have, with Anakin (and Obi-Wan, even) caught in the middle, that for various reasons seems much muted in the film itself. There are senator meetings with Padme that "drive home" the threat of Palaptine gaining so much power so quickly instead of just having the Jedi whine about it...like, the threat is still there in the finished film, but there are these mass chunks of lines missing, cut out right from the middle of conversations. If certain parts of the film feels like people begin and end conversations a bit too suddenly, well, it's because they do.

Most fanedits reinstate the cool deleted scenes where Padme, Bail Organa, Mon Mothma and some other dudes form the proto-Rebel Alliance in the Senate, and Padme hides it from Anakin.

Something in the novelization that makes the movie itself make a lot more sense - Anakin wants to be a Jedi Master on the council because only they have access to a certain holocron that contains esoteric knowledge, such as saving people from death perhaps. When he's mad about it, it's not Dwight Schrute wanting to be Assistant Regional Manager instead of Assistant to the Regional Manager.

The remnant of this subplot is found in the scene where Palpatine reveals himself as a Sith to Anakin, when Anakin says "I know there are things about the Force that they're not telling me." Coinciding with "Don't you wonder why they won't make you a Jedi Master?"

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Soggy Cereal posted:

Something in the novelization that makes the movie itself make a lot more sense - Anakin wants to be a Jedi Master on the council because only they have access to a certain holocron that contains esoteric knowledge, such as saving people from death perhaps. When he's mad about it, it's not Dwight Schrute wanting to be Assistant Regional Manager instead of Assistant to the Regional Manager.

The remnant of this subplot is found in the scene where Palpatine reveals himself as a Sith to Anakin, when Anakin says "I know there are things about the Force that they're not telling me." Coinciding with "Don't you wonder why they won't make you a Jedi Master?"

I just rewatched the movie the other day and that implication seemed pretty clear without the need for more specific references (to some certain holocron in the archives etc).

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It seems like a lot of of anakin's problems could have been solved with a LightPDA. That way he could have remembered to buy his mother's freedom and schedule a spaceultrasound for padme

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

Effectronica posted:

It's not traceable because of any transmitters, it's because it's the Millennium Falcon and everybody probably knows its broadcast codes by now. It's a famous ship.

What do you think is transmitting broadcast codes?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

DARPA posted:

What do you think is transmitting broadcast codes?

The ship, chatting with navigation buoys and traffic control. Bear in mind that all spaceships in Star Wars, by TESB, are intelligent enough to hold down a conversation.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Jack Gladney posted:

The movie made me gay for Oscar Isaac. My marriage has been destroyed. Please be careful when watching Star Wars.

This guy knows what's up.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

The one thing that really frustrates me about it is how fast it moves and that there are touches of a slower draft left in the frenzy of the final film. Adam Driver uses the force to figure out that Daisy Ridley sees Han Solo as a father figure and gets mad because Han Solo was a failure of a father to him, but the only bonding she and Han Solo do is some engineering and piloting, and she doesn't really learn anything from him. And Adam Driver is mad at Han Solo in the rest of the movie not because was a lovely father, but because Adam Driver loves the dark side.

There's a slightly slower movie in there with like 17 minutes more of quiet scenes between the characters, and I kind of want to see that one.

I could buy Rey making attachments quickly because she's lived in a burnt out tank on a dust rock for her entire life. Much the same way Finn does what he does because of the way Rey "looked at him", the two of them are desperate for connections and validation. Rey's probably always wondered what it's like to have a dad, so some cool old guy who takes a shine to her and embodies the promise of adventure would quickly take on the sense of a "surrogate dad" to her. That's also why I think Luke grows so attached to Obi-Wan quickly in the original trilogy, because Obi-Wan is his best connection to his father and unlike Uncle Owen he believes that Luke can step out into a larger world.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Effectronica posted:

The ship, chatting with navigation buoys and traffic control. Bear in mind that all spaceships in Star Wars, by TESB, are intelligent enough to hold down a conversation.

The Internet of Things.

But seriously though, I'm sure there's a toggle they can flip. Right next to the poison gas switch.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I feel like Finn is going to have force sensitivity. I think it's the source of his moral dilemma at the kill command.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Eleia: No, Gorge, I'm not going to give you Padme's number!

Gorge: Listen! I'm short! I'm stocky! I'm bald! I have tusks! I'm exactly her type! You WILL give me her number!

Eleia: Your mind tricks don't work on me.

Gorge extend his thumb and forefinger, Eleia has difficulty breathing

Gorge: Gorge is gettin upset!

Cosmarmar comes into the room, falling over a lantern

Cosmarmar: woah buddy, datsa da dark side yousa going down

Gorge relents

Gorge: Serenity now, serenity now

Starfield: You know Gorge, I had a padawan who chanted that to calm down, he ended up killing fifty younglings!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
On Maz's planet, Han asks Chewie to sweep the Falcon. He doesn't literally add "... For tracking devices", so many moviegoers likely assumed Chewie was dutifully sweeping space dust and Rathtar blood out of the mudroom. Han and the kids leave without him. Maz even asks Han where Chewie is (removing tracers)!) Chewie is next seen many minutes later during the FO attack. They should've added a scene where he chucks a metal gadget through a tie fighter canopy, roars, and Han says "great idea Chewie, give em back the tracers that they put on the Falcon and you've been removing. That'll teach them to try and trace the Millennium Falcon, which is now untraceable!"

Then they spend the rest of the movie acting like the Falcon is untraceable, because it probably is now.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

greatn posted:

Eleia: No, Gorge, I'm not going to give you Padme's number!

Gorge: Listen! I'm short! I'm stocky! I'm bald! I have tusks! I'm exactly her type! You WILL give me her number!

Eleia: Your mind tricks don't work on me.

Gorge extend his thumb and forefinger, Eleia has difficulty breathing

Gorge: Gorge is gettin upset!

Cosmarmar comes into the room, falling over a lantern

Cosmarmar: woah buddy, datsa da dark side yousa going down

Gorge relents

Gorge: Serenity now, serenity now

Starfield: You know Gorge, I had a padawan who chanted that to calm down, he ended up killing fifty younglings!

What is the DEAL with Jakku rations?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Neo Rasa posted:

What is the DEAL with Jakku rations?

Top of the space muffin... to YOU!

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I hope Lucas didn't intend the whole "the Jedi are the REAL bad guys" or the "the Republic had it coming" angle that is so prevalent in this thread and elsewhere. That would dampen my enjoyment of the PT.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

kiimo posted:

I feel like Finn is going to have force sensitivity. I think it's the source of his moral dilemma at the kill command.

It did kinda feel like they were slightly hinting toward that. It makes Maz freaking the hell out over his eyes make a little more sense to me at least. Also giving him a lightsaber and telling him to use it rather than telling him to grab the first blaster he sees. Plus the Starkiller scene's composition just feels off if the screams were Maz's patrons. The other guys he's with don't look at all, and Finn, rather than looking toward the screaming looks straight up. Furthermore the screaming is kinda echoy. In general it feels to me like they wanted hints just in case the next director wanted to go that way to me.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lucas has Jedi say "Im not here to free the slaves!!" multiple times.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

LesterGroans posted:

Top of the space muffin... to YOU!

No no no no no! It's Top of the Space Muffin... TO you! The emphasis is on the TO!

And you can't just make one quarter portion, you have to make one portion and let the person see you tear off the top quarter portion.

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Proud opponent of Israeli terror and Jewish fascism!

jivjov posted:

This guy knows what's up.

Is there somekind of AA group for this?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

On Maz's planet, Han asks Chewie to sweep the Falcon. He doesn't literally add "... For tracking devices", so many moviegoers likely assumed Chewie was dutifully sweeping space dust and Rathtar blood out of the mudroom. Han and the kids leave without him. Maz even asks Han where Chewie is (removing tracers)!) Chewie is next seen many minutes later during the FO attack. They should've added a scene where he chucks a metal gadget through a tie fighter canopy, roars, and Han says "great idea Chewie, give em back the tracers that they put on the Falcon and you've been removing. That'll teach them to try and trace the Millennium Falcon, which is now untraceable!"

Then they spend the rest of the movie acting like the Falcon is untraceable, because it probably is now.

When is Chewie told to sweep for anything? He's told to "check out the ship as best you can". Which could, I guess, mean for tracking devices...but it seems to me like he means it in a more mechanical repair sense

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Viller posted:

Is there somekind of AA group for this?

If the first step is admitting that there's a problem...well...I'm not signing up!

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

I hope Lucas didn't intend the whole "the Jedi are the REAL bad guys" or the "the Republic had it coming" angle that is so prevalent in this thread and elsewhere. That would dampen my enjoyment of the PT.

I don't think the Jedi were supposed to be the real bad guys so much as a flawed organization that was falling from their teaching due to inertia and a lack of foresight.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

jivjov posted:

When is Chewie told to sweep for anything? He's told to "check out the ship as best you can". Which could, I guess, mean for tracking devices...but it seems to me like he means it in a more mechanical repair sense

I realize that this is a gimmick but I very nearly responded to it in a serious manner.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

NecroMonster posted:

I realize that this is a gimmick but I very nearly responded to it in a serious manner.

I'm being completely serious. "Sweep" totally has a connotation with tracking devices, "check out" doesn't.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

kiimo posted:

That's assuming the force itself leans towards the light side and not just something the jedi sect claims.

Maybe there's another bad rear end, super accurate, oddly lucky storm trooper out there who is also force sensitive, but uses his ability to be doubly efficient at purging the innocent.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Gorelab posted:

I don't think the Jedi were supposed to be the real bad guys so much as a flawed organization that was falling from their teaching due to inertia and a lack of foresight.

Right, plus their fear of the Sith and the Dark Side is clouding their judgement quite a bit, in spite of the fact that one of their guiding tenets is to conquer fear.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

jivjov posted:

I'm being completely serious. "Sweep" totally has a connotation with tracking devices, "check out" doesn't.

Try looking up the definition of sweep then.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

DARPA posted:

That's assuming the force itself leans towards the light side and not just something the jedi sect claims.

Maybe there's another bad rear end, super accurate, oddly lucky storm trooper out there who is also force sensitive, but uses his ability to be doubly efficient at purging the innocent.

Stop it, you'll fuel the flames of TR-8R fan fiction with talk like that.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

NecroMonster posted:

Try looking up the definition of sweep then.

There's a reason I said "connotation"

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

sweep is a synonym for "search an area thoroughly"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
With a specific connotation for listening devices or bugs. There's really no indication that Chewie is looking for tracking devices or that he finds one. It's after Han tells him to check out the ship that he informs Rey and Finn that the falcon is potentially traceable by the First Order. If Chewie was removing tracking devices, he has no reason to worry about them any longer.

• Locked thread