Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

NecroMonster posted:

Personally I like to assume that the Jedi order (and by extension) Yoda actually were right about everything they said about emotional attachment leading to the dark side and stuff, because that would open the door up for Vader not actually having been redeemed at all, because it turns out that throwing a fit and saving the life of your own flesh and blood in a moment of rage when you care not a lick for the life of anyone else doesn't actually make you a great person, even if the dude you are killed is like just really god damned evil holy cow

If Anakin hadn't been redeemed, he wouldn't have shown up as Anakin as a ghost. He either wouldn't have shown up at all, or would've shown up as Vader.

Schwarzwald posted:

This talk about Luke's lightsaber reminded me of something.

Luke lost his father's blue lightsaber at the end of ESB, right? That's why he has to build his own green lightsaber that he uses in RotJ (aside from the thematic reasons, of course).

So exactly which lightsaber does Rey find in Maz's truckstop? It was blue, so it couldn't have been the one Luke built.

No, it is Anakin's 2nd (3rd?) Lightsaber, Luke's first, the one Obi-wan gave him. No we don't know how Maz got it, she said she'd tell us later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Jerkface posted:

drat, will we ever figure out this mystery? I hope they release an separate movie to answer this...

You're joking right? Please tell me you're joking.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

If Anakin hadn't been redeemed, he wouldn't have shown up as Anakin as a ghost. He either wouldn't have shown up at all, or would've shown up as Vader.

actually. Qui-gon is definitely kind of a turd by jedi standards, and he "invented" the whole thing.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Wait do they actually say "This is Luke's lightsaber" cause why can't it be Kenobi's??

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

so vader is just back to his old tricks, taking over the galaxy and trying to turn his relatives to the dark side, only he's in the big man seat this time, and he's doing it all as a force ghost

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Their hotel rooms are so broken down and gross. England in the early 80s must have been a real hellscape.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jack Gladney posted:

England is a real hellscape.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

this is why luke hosed off after having his jedi teaching time ruined, because he realized that yoda wasn't in fact full of poo poo and personal connections really are just awful for "good" jedi

it's also why Rey is the light side of the force's best hope, because she has no personal attachments at all

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

"The critical point of planetary Reflection, the fruit of socialization, far from being a mere spark in the darkness, represents our passage, by Translation or dematerialization, to another sphere of the Universe: not an ending of the ultra-human but its accession to some sort of trans-humanity at the ultimate heart of things."
-Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, coiner of the term 'transhumanism'.

Yoda seeks to achieve this goal through the use of his midichlorian-enhancements. He changes over the course of the series, but does not waver from this ultimate goal.

Obiwan's attitude of multicultural tolerance leads him to wage war against 'intolerable' terrorist outsiders who 'hate our freedom'. This is the source of the entire Clone War.

That's cool and all but I don't see how its proving your point. Quoting scripture and making massive assumptions is not a very good tactic, especially when you've taken the original quote completely out of context.

“My ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us, binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force flow around you. Here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, yes, even between the land and the ship.”

He's simply telling luke to listen to what the force is telling him, and not his body, nothing more than that.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I saw it tonight and I have to wonder what ways they're going to try to make Rey look cool in the next two movies. I don't think they can top this one.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Justin_Brett posted:

I saw it tonight and I have to wonder what ways they're going to try to make Rey look cool in the next two movies. I don't think they can top this one.

when rey goes dark side... then we will discover the cool rey

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Hollismason posted:

Wait do they actually say "This is Luke's lightsaber" cause why can't it be Kenobi's??

Yes, it's explicitly called Luke's ("and his father's before him"), and it looks nothing like any lightsaber we see Kenobi use.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

jivjov posted:

Yes, it's explicitly called Luke's ("and his father's before him"), and it looks nothing like any lightsaber we see Kenobi use.

We see Kenobi use that very lightsaber in Mood Eisley Cantina dont we?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

greatn posted:

No? He uses his own lightsaber, he's already given Anakin's to Luke at that point.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

greatn posted:

the saber maz has is explicitly anakin's both as a prop and in the story

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
Has there ever been a character with an orange coloured light sabre?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Waffles Inc. posted:

the saber maz has is explicitly anakin's both as a prop and in the story

Yeah Obi Wan took it from Anakins burning corpse and had it for 19 years though.

Probably longer than Anakin ever had it, definitely longer than Luke

greatn fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jan 8, 2016

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Cnut the Great posted:

The best thing about Dex's Diner is the music playing in the background:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpecPKuUYnE

LMAO this is the most pathetic lazy scoring I have ever heard. Literally just 12-bar blues progression on a farty synth. Joseph Williams wtf.

The prequels truly are garbage.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

corn in the fridge posted:

Not in canon, but legends had a couple. I think Reven's canonical lightsaber was either Orange, or paired orange and light blue dual wielded.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

One thing the old Tales of the Jedi (the ones KOTOR came from) played with, I mean it was never explicit but it ended up so that often the Jedi all focused on using the force for defensive stuff and mostly using lightsabers and a pistol to directly hurt folks, while Sith would use the force to hurt people directly and would help channel that via a variety of amulet type things and ancient Sith artifacts like an ornate gauntlet or an odd medallion, creating a bunch of different effects and stuff. It was more powerful overall but much more chaotic and difficult to control to balance it out.

The force ghost thing was interesting too, Jedi could force ghost it up wherever like we see in the OT, but if some badass Sith guy on par with Yoda got killed instead they'd be more like a traditional ghost, like they could only really appear to a force user near the place where they were killed if said person was actively seeking them out and trying to feel their presence but once a person go their attention they could actually move stuff around/train them in stuff/etc. with the force too.
man, Tales of the Jedi owned. Shame that KotOR turned the era/setting into something indistinguishable from a particularly uninspired set from the movies.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

WeAreTheRomans posted:

LMAO this is the most pathetic lazy scoring I have ever heard. Literally just 12-bar blues progression on a farty synth. Joseph Williams wtf.

The prequels truly are garbage.

Dude it's like a 2 minute scene.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

corn in the fridge posted:

Darth Reamsicle

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
https://www.change.org/p/disney-lucasfilm-kathleen-kennedy-george-lucas-back-to-the-star-wars-movies

We've almost done it reddit

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm really enjoying the reappraisal of Lucas's work that has happened in the past few weeks, but I wish it arose out of something more tangible and lasting than nerdpinions.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

wait people like greg lucas again? jesus christ you nerds

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I think fonder on the prequels now that it directly led to true art.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I always wondered what happened to Obi WANs light saber .

Probably blown up in the first laser moon.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

WeAreTheRomans posted:

yeah, seriously. they could have at least mixed it up a little bit. i get that they wanted "the 50's, except with aliens" but a 12 bar is literally zero effort.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Also in honor of the movie opening in China here is the official Chinese promotional song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK1V14s66a0
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-star-wars-force-852823

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

I always wondered what happened to Obi WANs light saber .

Probably blown up in the first laser moon.

Vader probably took it but I guess its pretty likely it was destroyed. I'd think the main two options would be for Vader to have it on one of the Death Stars, or on his Star Destroyer. So in either scenario it ends up as space debris.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
e: My reading skills are bad

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I can't wait for the next special edition where they add a scene with Vader mournfully staring at Obi-wan's lightsaber.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I liked the fan theory that Rey is Obi-Wan's hidden daughter, but after thinking about it, I think I'm going to guess that Rey is a clone of Anakin Skywalker, or Vader's remains.

Rey is the young, powerful heir to Vader's place within the force, who will bring balance, according to The Prophecy.

Snoke is another clone of Vader, who's close, but not as powerful, or as perfect - and likely abused himself in frustration, or possibly to resemble Vader's physical form:

Kylo Ren struggles to be closer to Vader, as he's a blood relative, and not a clone. The First Order has somehow acquired Vader's remains, and Ren worships it.

Rey was probably recovered/rescued by someone (Max Von Sydow? He pretended to leave her, but actually remained nearby to keep an eye on her.), and deposited on Jakku, hoping that stashing her there would prevent her from ever becoming a Sith. This makes sense to leave her on Jakku, along with remnants of the dead Empire.

This fits the First Order's theme of "we weren't actually Imperial, but we want to be powerful and rule things, so we'll spruce up whatever failed ideas the Empire had" - building a bigger Death Star in Starkiller, improved Star Destroyers/Stormtroopers, and now, bringing back Darth Vader the only way they knew how: cloning.

Red fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 8, 2016

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I dunno about Snoke being something to do with Vader so closely. How would he even know what Vader looks like? I think the scars being similar is just a false clue to throw people off. I don't think the guy is going to be Darth Plagueis either, that's way too much expanded universe and not really close to the original series mimickery their going for.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Snoke is also an alien.
Cloning does not recreate someone when they're all scarred up.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

hemale in pain posted:

I dunno about Snoke being something to do with Vader so closely. How would he even know what Vader looks like? I think the scars being similar is just a false clue to throw people off. I don't think the guy is going to be Darth Plagueis either, that's way too much expanded universe and not really close to the original series mimickery their going for.

Plagueis is mentioned in the prequels at least once, possibly a few times. So if they aren't completely disowning the prequels, its a possibility. The whole thing between Plagueis and Palpatine is told in much more detail in the EU, but its not like Plagueis doesn't exist at all in the films.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He didn't look particularly alien, just kind of hosed up and dessicated.

I don't think he's a clone of Vader, though I think there is a remote possibility he is actually the burnt remains of Vader that just got the gently caress up outta the bonfire and walked away, animated by the dark side of the force of the emperors ghost or something.

greatn fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 8, 2016

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

hemale in pain posted:

Dude it's like a 2 minute scene.

statement still stands though

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Yeah, it's cloning, not photocopying.

Also, for proof the prequels weren't good, what was that black guys name who guarded the princess? He had way more screen time than Poe and was way less memorable. In fact, in all the dumb fan fantasy of who Finn's father could be, the only two people to come up, because they're the only to black people that come to (most) peoples minds when they think of Star Wars are mace and Lando.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

rear end Catchcum posted:

Yeah, it's cloning, not photocopying.

Also, for proof the prequels weren't good, what was that black guys name who guarded the princess? He had way more screen time than Poe and was way less memorable. In fact, in all the dumb fan fantasy of who Finn's father could be, the only two people to come up, because they're the only to black people that come to (most) peoples minds when they think of Star Wars are mace and Lando.

Captain Tanaka. I promise I knew that from memory

• Locked thread