Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I feel like Always Sunny is one of those shows that will live on in syndication forever after it finally ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

wa27 posted:

I feel like Always Sunny is one of those shows that will live on in syndication forever after it finally ends.

Just like Friends and Seinfeld.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

wa27 posted:

It is the next Seinfeld after all.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

It's not like any episodes are stinkers (except possibly Charlie and Dee Find Love), so you should just watch them all. Some personal episode recommendations would be:
The Nightman Cometh (and its precursor Sweet Dee's Dating A Retarded Person)
The Gang Gives Frank an Intervention
The Gang Gets Invincible
The Gang Solves the Gas Crisis
A Very Sunny Christmas
Paddy's Pub: The Original Home of Kitten Mittens
The Gang Gets Extreme: Home Makeover Edition
The Gang Buys A Boat (The Implication in this episode is essential to understanding who exactly Dennis is)
The D.E.N.N.I.S System

I am SO disappointed this list does not include The Gang Dances Their Asses Off and Charlie Goes America All Over Everybody's rear end, among others :colbert:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Dango Bango posted:

I am SO disappointed this list does not include The Gang Dances Their Asses Off and Charlie Goes America All Over Everybody's rear end, among others :colbert:

Or The Gang Visits the Jersey Shore.

Rum Ham!

Edit: Which episode has Charlie and Frank take drugs while tailgating a football game? That poo poo is amazing.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 7, 2016

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Gang Saves the Day is almost certainly the objectively "best" episode, but you need to be familiar with the characters a bit first.

e: also obviously the Lethal Weapon episodes.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Dango Bango posted:

I knew this was going to happen, because there are too many great episodes to name, which is why I started the post with a note to watch them all. Those are some great choices, though.

Franchescanado posted:

Edit: Which episode has Charlie and Frank take drugs while tailgating a football game? That poo poo is amazing.

The Gang Gets Invincible, which I think is also the first time Greenman appears in the series.

X-Ray Pecs fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 7, 2016

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

precision posted:

The Gang Saves the Day is almost certainly the objectively "best" episode, but you need to be familiar with the characters a bit first.

e: also obviously the Lethal Weapon episodes.

The one where they bang each other's moms is what I think they've been chasing the entire series.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

morestuff posted:

The one where they bang each other's moms is what I think they've been chasing the entire series.

Gas Crisis in many ways feels like the apex of the series' formula

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

morestuff posted:

Oh god yes.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I knew this was going to happen, because there are too many great episodes to name, which is why I started the post with a note to watch them all. Those are some great choices, though.

The Gang Gets Invincible, which I think is also the first time Greenman appears in the series.

Just giving you poo poo because those are two of my favorites. There are way too many to list.

And you're right. Invincible is the first appearance of Greenman. "THAT LIZARD TALKS!!"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Gang Broke Dee (season 9 premiere) is almost as good as Charlie Work.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The supplementary stuff they put out for the show is great too. On my phone but the one where they have to perform fellatio on Danny Devito as part of his contract or the one where they recast everyone and Haley Joel Osment is part of the gang are great.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
The Gang Saves the day is another one that is absolutely fantastic at delving into how irreparably broken each of them is in their own way.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Chichevache posted:

The Gang Saves the day is another one that is absolutely fantastic at delving into how irreparably broken each of them is in their own way.

Charlie isn't broken, he's just misunderstood!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Gas Crisis in many ways feels like the apex of the series' formula

Wild Card, Bitches!

God drat. That's the episode I show people when they don't know Sunny or are on the fence about it.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Charlie being a musical idiot savant is probably my favorite thing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Charlie being a musical idiot savant is probably my favorite thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLSBSvNUUjY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEK97bSz6LQ

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Hey, on the subject of great comedy.

quote:

"The Ridiculous Six, by way of example, in the first 30 days on Netflix it's been the most-watched movie in the history of Netflix," said Sarandos. "It's also enjoyed a spot at number one in every territory we operate in, and in many of them it's still number one."

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQd7g565e2I

e. Always Sunny is super rewatchable because the people in the background reacting to the focus of the scene is just as funny and you miss it the first time around.

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
This is like the saddest thing.

Then again I started the movie and stopped it like 5 minutes in. It's probably partly my fault.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

quote:

The Ridiculous Six's record is tied to 30-day viewership, not cumulative viewership.

So I really just want to believe a very large number of people watched it just because there was always a big ad for it, or out of morbid curiosity on how you Scary Movie a film that hadn't even been released yet. I'd also like to know if they're counting people who watched 10 minutes of it to have "watched" it.

e: Also obviously since it was only on Netflix and was a "new" movie, obviously a lot of people will watch it in the first 30 days as opposed to a great film that gets added 10 years after it came out in theaters, etc.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I watched 15 minutes of it out of morbid curiosity and gave it 1 star. I wonder if that added to their numbers.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Netflix needs to get all the Always sunny bloopers, like yesterday.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

NESguerilla posted:

I watched 15 minutes of it out of morbid curiosity and gave it 1 star. I wonder if that added to their numbers.

I've been trying to figure this out (thank insomnia!) and I know I read in the past that TV shows only count as "watched" if you actually watch an episode all the way through.

For what it's worth, I haven't clicked Play on Ridiculous 6 ever. My morbid curiosity has limits.

e: what the poo poo, TERRY CREWS, JORGE GARCIA, LUKE WILSON?! I think I legitimately hate Adam Sandler now, which is both sad and ridiculous but here we are.

e2: for context, bear in mind I'm old and when I think "Luke Wilson" my brain immediately goes to Bottle Rocket and the suicide scene in Royal Tenenbaums, I am aware he has done some garbage movies

precision fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jan 8, 2016

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Load up Ridiculous Six, fast forward until you see David Spade and Vanilla Ice. Watch their scenes, then quit out.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

precision posted:

e: what the poo poo, TERRY CREWS, JORGE GARCIA, LUKE WILSON?! I think I legitimately hate Adam Sandler now, which is both sad and ridiculous but here we are.

If u like them you should like him more, dude is handing out easy paychecks for the price of a chill sesh

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm big into Westerns, so I thought there might be a possibility Sandler packed the movie with lots of references to classic Westerns. That's the only reason I'd think about giving it a shot, would it maybe be worth it for that reason? Has anyone in here actually sat through the whole thing?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Adam Sandler movies are attended mainly by a species of sentient insects that have evolved to appear no different from people if you don't look closely.

They also enjoy the comedy of Jeff Dunham, and the music of Nickelback. These are the silent majority that keeps these things popular.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
The burro shits on people and things.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

I'm big into Westerns, so I thought there might be a possibility Sandler packed the movie with lots of references to classic Westerns. That's the only reason I'd think about giving it a shot, would it maybe be worth it for that reason? Has anyone in here actually sat through the whole thing?

From what I watched of it it's pretty much every unwatchable sander movie but they are wearing cowboy hats and being culturally insensitive to native Americans. Otherwise it's p much grown ups levels of bad.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Basebf555 posted:

I'm big into Westerns, so I thought there might be a possibility Sandler packed the movie with lots of references to classic Westerns.

There's zero chance that lazy-rear end Sandler deliberately referenced anything.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

There's zero chance that lazy-rear end Sandler deliberately referenced anything.

Well the title is a (very obvious, lazy) reference so it gave me a tiny bit of hope there would be a succession of classic western parodies. Like Scary Movie but with westerns.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
I remember John Hodgman asking people to watch his Netflix special in one sitting, because Netflix takes things like that into account.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

precision posted:

So I really just want to believe a very large number of people watched it just because there was always a big ad for it, or out of morbid curiosity on how you Scary Movie a film that hadn't even been released yet. I'd also like to know if they're counting people who watched 10 minutes of it to have "watched" it.

e: Also obviously since it was only on Netflix and was a "new" movie, obviously a lot of people will watch it in the first 30 days as opposed to a great film that gets added 10 years after it came out in theaters, etc.

I'm going to go with Sandler pulled an Asylum Films and people clicked on it thinking it was the new Tarantino movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Netflix does this thing, at least on PS4, where if I click on something to see more details about it, it starts playing automatically because the cursor sits on "play" for more than half a second. Is that somehow being included in these numbers? There's so much terrible poo poo I've clicked on just to see a screenshot or two or to see who directed it, I hope these bad filmmakers aren't getting the same credit as if I had legitimately watched the thing.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Basebf555 posted:

Netflix does this thing, at least on PS4, where if I click on something to see more details about it, it starts playing automatically because the cursor sits on "play" for more than half a second. Is that somehow being included in these numbers? There's so much terrible poo poo I've clicked on just to see a screenshot or two or to see who directed it, I hope these bad filmmakers aren't getting the same credit as if I had legitimately watched the thing.

Jesus Christ my Roku 3 does this too and it's annoying as hell. I click on a show to read the description or add to my list, and it starts playing immediately. This makes searching for a show/movie needlessly frustrating and clutters up my "continue watching" list. I don't even get the utility of it or know why it's on by default.

If anyone knows how to turn it off, that would be great. I looked around for options to turn the autoplay off, but I may be a big dumb idiot and missed it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LogisticEarth posted:

Jesus Christ my Roku 3 does this too and it's annoying as hell. I click on a show to read the description or add to my list, and it starts playing immediately. This makes searching for a show/movie needlessly frustrating and clutters up my "continue watching" list. I don't even get the utility of it or know why it's on by default.

If anyone knows how to turn it off, that would be great. I looked around for options to turn the autoplay off, but I may be a big dumb idiot and missed it.

My Xbox 360 does the same thing.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I like that feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Doctor Butts posted:

I like that feature.

I don't really care either way, I was just wondering if Netflix is distinguishing between someone who just wanted to see the cast list of Ridiculous Six and ended up watching about 3 seconds of it against their will, and someone who actually watched like half of it before tapping out.