Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Kunming is a nice city, in attitude / climate / surrounds.

They were really hungry for foreign Engish teachers when I passed through, but i) I didn't think I was going to work in China at that point, and ii) The all said 'yeah, you'll need to get your own tourist visa or something', so... no.

Anyway, if you can make it work you'll be in a nice part of China, and a short trip away from Dali if you ever want to spend a weekend chilling out somewhere even nicer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

The Great Autismo! posted:

...It looks like there is a Facebook group here.
...For example, when you're staying in a private residence, you're required by law to register with the police station within 48 hours of your arrival. This is something that the average Chinese person would have zero knowledge of that affects foreigners, so your wife and family may be completely unaware of this. In fact, you probably don't have to do this for your two week stay in Kunming, but it is one of those things you'd have to do if you're going to be here for six months to two years.

Thanks for the link and tip on registering with police, it never occurred to me to check Facebook for expat help and I'm willing to bet my wife is completely unaware of the police registration requirement. She took one of her American friends from college to Kunming for a couple weeks and I doubt they registered anywhere, so I'm guessing you're right in that I should be fine for the quick trip but I'll make a note of it for the long-term stay.

Warbird posted:

I can't think of anything in particular other than "don't be an rear end" and I got away with violating that plenty. Getting around is fairly easy as most places have Chinglish translations, so common sense and using context clues are both great boons. Being pale as gently caress is often a benefit or at least it was in my case, particularly if you're in an area without too many other foreigners. Novelty will make up for many shortcomings. As for jet lag, staying up the entire flight over is hell on Earth, but I beat my fiance back to normal by half a week. I slept most of the way back and I still haven't fully normalized a couple of weeks later.

Wow, a couple weeks?! I usually can't sleep on flights, that said the longest flight I've had to deal with was a recent 9 hour ordeal of being stuck in the airplane due to all the storms around Dallas. My wife has been saying she'll get me sleeping pills for the flight but I was sort of thinking staying up for most of if not the entire flight and passing out when we get to Shanghai might be a good idea. I may not have any choice in the matter if we get any screaming children near us, we'll see.

Trammel posted:

You can't legally work on a Q visa in China. This puts you in a bad position from the start. I'd suggest trying to find a company that'll get you a working visa before you come to China.

Thank you for pointing this out! I'll chat with my wife's family and see if they need any work done or help with anything, maybe they can get me a working visa. My wife seems to think there's a market for unofficial tutoring there which I'm guessing wouldn't require a work visa, but I don't think getting paid under the table is the best way to go about things in my first long-term stay there. Or maybe it's way more common than I realize.

Atopian posted:

Kunming is a nice city, in attitude / climate / surrounds.

They were really hungry for foreign Engish teachers when I passed through, but i) I didn't think I was going to work in China at that point, and ii) The all said 'yeah, you'll need to get your own tourist visa or something', so... no.

Anyway, if you can make it work you'll be in a nice part of China, and a short trip away from Dali if you ever want to spend a weekend chilling out somewhere even nicer.

It sounds awesome! I'm really interested to see the difference between Shanghai and Kunming, although I have a feeling all/most cities in China will end up feeling like "generic large cities" for me, compared to where I've lived in the US. I've heard Kunming is similar in altitude to Denver (where I'm currently living) but I'm guessing it has just a bit more moisture and a bit less "brown" than Denver.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Spring Festival is going to be total hell from what I've heard and seen. Roughly comparable to the Thanksgiving/Christmas holidays except 4 times as many people.

If your wife is with you then you'll be fine though, most Chinese people don't care all that much as long as you have cash and can get your meaning across. Don't worry about the police registration thing, I never did it and no one will ask you about it unless you really make a scene.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Magna Kaser posted:

just buy a bunch of house centipedes and let them loose. They'll fix your roach problem

I woke up early one morning in Zhengzhou and saw one of those guys scurry across my floor. I just said, "You go little guy." I then went back to sleep.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

Amergin posted:

My wife seems to think there's a market for unofficial tutoring there which I'm guessing wouldn't require a work visa, but I don't think getting paid under the table is the best way to go about things in my first long-term stay there. Or maybe it's way more common than I realize.

Your wife is right, there's a big market for unofficial tutoring, and it's very, very common. But the laws that apply to you are different, and are applied differently than those apply to her.

Even so, it'd be better to arrive with an expectation of employment and regular income. We've seen others who have come to China without a clear plan, staying in an apartment provided by their in-laws, without employment simply got stuck in a rut playing video-games, skateboarding, and becoming increasingly delusional about what exactly their GF was doing with her boss during all those late night working hours.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

He wasn't just playing video games. He was also trying to come up with a plan to suck enough money from his girlfriend's parents so he could afford to dump her and move to Japan.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

He also seemed like kind of an alcoholic.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Arglebargle III posted:

He also seemed like kind of an alcoholic.

Actually we were talking about FPR, not about you, although your China story is pretty sad too.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
believe it or not, especially in kunming, you can smoke some good weed. so plan to smoke a lot of weed and watch videos on youtube through VPN at 240p

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

angel opportunity posted:

believe it or not, especially in kunming, you can smoke some good weed. so plan to smoke a lot of weed and watch videos on youtube through VPN at 420p

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

fart simpson posted:

He wasn't just playing video games. He was also trying to come up with a plan to suck enough money from his girlfriend's parents so he could afford to dump her and move to Japan.

This isn't true. After he moved back to the uk he was bitching about how unfair one of the visa requirements is (the one that says you have to earn enough money to support the person you're bringing across)

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

He was terrible at being a human being, but he wasn't a terrible human being

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

simplefish posted:

This isn't true. After he moved back to the uk he was bitching about how unfair one of the visa requirements is (the one that says you have to earn enough money to support the person you're bringing across)

Yeah well his plan must have failed, because he talked about wanting to dump her and move to Japan but he couldn't afford to do it until he leeched off her parents for a few more months. People in the Japan thread might remember.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Amergin posted:

LONG DISTANCE FLIGHT

Get some melatonin I guess? With Ipads, digital media and improved air travel it's not as bad as before. At least you are not flying alone and you can chat with your wife. Sorry I'm not very helpful, I never understand the fuss about long distance travel :shrug:

Amergin posted:

Moving to Kunming

Yeah other people covered the basics here. The nice part is that you will have an extended family to support you. Then again it's the extended family so good luck with that! So what kind of business will your wife be involved with? The awesome part about Kunming and Yunnan is the close proximity to Myanmar. Get a visa to Myanmar and chill out when you feel the need to get out.

Tutoring for under the table money is common but it can be a bit unpredictable when it comes to hours and pay. I'm just assuming that financially you guys are doing pretty solid and that's why your wife is hand waving everything.

As for what can you prepare to do in the mean time for this trip? LEARN CHINESE :china:

You feel much less of an idiot when you can read basic signs and less of an alien when you can communicate with locals.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Dude said he's already learning Chinese, mate.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
Anybody else's vpn acting up the past several days?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Minus1Minus1 posted:

Anybody else's vpn acting up the past several days?

Astril seems to be really broken the last couple of days. Others like ExpressVPN seem OK.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

My coworker says Express VPN stopped working for him in the past week or so, but Astrill is still working for me.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

fart simpson posted:

My coworker says Express VPN stopped working for him in the past week or so, but Astrill is still working for me.

It's completely the opposite in my office today (Astril is not working at all, ExpressVPN and Pandapow work fine), but a lot of this is up to the local telecom office so it's pretty impossible to nail any of this down.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Tom Smykowski posted:

Dude said he's already learning Chinese, mate.

Ooooooops :ohdear:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The fiance hasn't mentioned Express not working, but I'll make a note to ask. It was up and down a bit when I was there, but it seemed to be more load related than guv'ment meddling.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

It's really not possible to get an Alien Employment Licence on a Q visa? :(

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Jeoh posted:

You probably could find a job but then you'd get switched to a Z. Having a Q would probably be beneficial since you could interview/etc in China without issue, then get the Z/居留许可 once you get hired.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Jeoh posted:

No, which is silly. But it basically means if you're coming over on a spouse visa you're either independently wealthy, work online, or your spouse's family is rich and you don't need to work.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Just start a business somewhere, get a business visa, caveat: you must frame it as consulting/independent contracting not employment

I actually don't know if that would work but hey its not tourist-visa-teaching

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

simplefish posted:

Just start a business somewhere, get a business visa, caveat: you must frame it as consulting/independent contracting not employment

I actually don't know if that would work but hey its not tourist-visa-teaching

It won't.

Everybody who works in China (broadly defined as "doing work", while in China for more than 90? days) must be an employee of a Chinese registered company, or its illegal.

Chinese companies that want to hire foreigners must apply for a special license. SAFEA for teaching institutions, the local labour bureau for other companies. This is troublesome, subject to quotas and expensive.

There's just no such legal idea of independent contractors, local or foreigner.

But, a Q visa is great for on the ground interviews and networking. And its China, so who knows what you can get away with?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Couldn't you register a WFOE for yourself?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Wholly Owned Foreign Enterprises are being phased out and are going through more and more stringent tax reviews and restrictions

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

caberham posted:

Wholly Owned Foreign Enterprises are being phased out and are going through more and more stringent tax reviews and restrictions

This is going to change if China keeps sliding economically. They've already shown a willingness to change long-standing policies (i.e., lifting the ban of share sales by large corporations). Actually, it could get more restrictive, but only if industrial growth picks up.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

Jeoh posted:

Couldn't you register a WFOE for yourself?

Yep, start with How To Form A China WFOE: The Initial Information Required and just keep reading. It's a 12 part series, but I especially like Forming A China WFOE: Watching The Sausage Get Made.

a lawyer who does this stuff posted:

To form a WFOE in China, you typically need around 25 documents, 33 originals, 594 signatures (18 times the 33 originals) and 297 seals (9 times the 33 originals).  Fun stuff, let me tell you.   

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I am so hard right now

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
From the back of my head you also need 1 million plus RMB as registered capital so good luck with that! Great to start a factory, but not so good to start a tutoring gig

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

ExpressVPN still works in China as of this morning.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Which city deserves an extra day for my first visit to (mainland) China: Shanghai, Beijing or Xi'an?

My time shall consist of sightseeing, eating and aimlessly wandering around the city.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

How long are you visiting? Do you have lung cancer yet?

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Jeoh posted:

How long are you visiting? Do you have lung cancer yet?

10 days total in China proper before heading to Lhasa on an overland tour to Kathmandu via Xi'an train.

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Which city deserves an extra day for my first visit to (mainland) China: Shanghai, Beijing or Xi'an?

My time shall consist of sightseeing, eating and aimlessly wandering around the city.

Shanghai, definitely. Way more to do there.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Beijing would be the best because seeing the Wall takes most of a day.

You could very easily add Nanjing into the mix, it's not far from Shanghai. You could do the city in a day and a half if you go see Sun Yat-sen and Jiang's house.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Beijing would be the best because seeing the Wall takes most of a day.

Way more touristy things in BJ than anywhere else.

Xi'an is a great place to relax though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Things worth seeing in BJ:
Temple of heaven (on a clean air day),
Lama Temple,
Hutongs (near Andingmen for quiet, nanluoguoxing or drum and bell tower for people)

Things not worth seeing:
Tiananmen A car park with a mausoleum and a gently caress ton of security
Forbidden city, a jillion people looking at a jillion nearly identical rooms
The wall isn't really worth the effort. Badaling and all are rebuilt from the 1980s and are packed unless you're on the first train out at 5.30am. The wild wall can be interesting but its harder to organise to get there.

I'd go relax at Xian and don't bother with the terracotta soldiers unless you really like out of the way musuems to see a dozen statues that they didn't gently caress up. Chill in the muslim quarter and eat all the muslim food.