Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

kirbysuperstar posted:

I want to give Phog a big hug.

Phog isn't Edna!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
Phog is my friend, and I wish I could help him overcome his aversion to cats.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Vanrushal posted:

Phog is my friend, and I wish I could help him overcome his aversion to cats.

Don't the Wrothians have brothels?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I've been playing this game for two hours and I feel like I'm watching anime

The game explained the plot, then the characters explained the plot. Then they spent an hour showing me literally everything in the habitat, before telling me about the plot some more.

I also geeked out at a skell and gazed longingly at it, so I can't decide whether I really like this game or think it's really terrible, but also fun

e; also the art style is loving garbage compared to Chronicles

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

NTT posted:

e; also the art style is loving garbage compared to Chronicles

Hahaha this guy.....

You didn't even set foot into Noctilum yet....You'll forget all about Original Xenoblade's blurry textured areas soon....

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I just hit level 50 and bought the most expensive lv50 Skell. Tell me how to turn it into a murder machine.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ometeotl posted:

I just hit level 50 and bought the most expensive lv50 Skell. Tell me how to turn it into a murder machine.

Go to Bohr Basin in Sylvalum (near 404 I think), farm the robots there for an Intergalactic-tier Phoenix (don't settle for less) and a G-Buster (ditto, though the Greens are pretty brutal). In the meantime, your Amdusia's E-Scythe is hilariously lethal if used from behind.

Sustentacular
Aug 27, 2011
Anyone know where to find Iron Simius? Everything I've read says they're at 110 during the daytime, but I've been all over Talon Rock up and down and can't find a single stupid monkey.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

The Taint Reaper posted:

Hahaha this guy.....

You didn't even set foot into Noctilum yet....You'll forget all about Original Xenoblade's blurry textured areas soon....

A limitation of the platform rather than an inadequacy in the art design...! :(

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

NTT posted:

A limitation of the platform rather than an inadequacy in the art design...! :(

No those were lovely muddled textures because they didn't bother going to a higher definition, there was nothing on the wii that was limiting them.

The Wii could have easily pulled off better textures and in fact did in many other games. All the character's faces and eye expressions in xenoblade were 100% pixilated textures, nobody in the game had rigged eyes other than the occasional monster. And in many instances you had some areas get weirdly textures to the point of resembling something that looked like it belonged on the n64.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jan 8, 2016

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
i feel like my taint is being reaped

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Taint Reaper posted:

No those were lovely muddled textures because they didn't bother going to a higher definition.

The Wii could have easily pulled off better textures and in fact did in many other games

Except those games werent also storing data for a shitload of enemy types, unique NPC's, and large map regions with dense foliage.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

NTT posted:

I've been playing this game for two hours and I feel like I'm watching anime

The game explained the plot, then the characters explained the plot. Then they spent an hour showing me literally everything in the habitat, before telling me about the plot some more.

I also geeked out at a skell and gazed longingly at it, so I can't decide whether I really like this game or think it's really terrible, but also fun

It gets worse.

Also, make sure you refuse to join BLADE.

What does BLADE stand for? It's dumber than you think.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Except those games werent also storing data for a shitload of enemy types, unique NPC's, and large map regions with dense foliage.

The Gamecube was able to run Phantasy Star Online and not make it look like poo poo.

The Wii had a gamecube built right into it.

Remember you had RPGS like Tales of Graces appear on the Wii in other countries and it was around the same size as Xenoblade. Xenoblade's size was not near any breaking point for the system. Like really the zones themselves were all very small for what they were. The Jungle areas where you would have a ton of objects were not wide open and were mostly ditch pathways that had barriers around them ensuring that you couldn't go off the tracks.

In comparison the wide open areas for Super Mario galaxy had more draw distance, the same with Zelda and both those games had very big zones and proper non-muddy textures. Xenoblade has poo poo textures because monolith chose to pick them, they were not really limited by hardware design. The "dense" foliage was low poly and were just textures with alpha maps on them to make them transparent, they weren't any sort of special particle effect or something that was fully animated. Hell most of the plants did not have collision detection either. It gave the illusion of dense foliage but in reality, they made all those elements in the same fashion and number that people did in early 3d games, it was no great undertaking or attempt at realism. This was basic videogame grass 101.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jan 8, 2016

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sometimes when I get frustrated with the combat at higher levels I just turn on this to remind me what it is I love about this game. That opening pan over the first zone was great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXqbYWKsBAU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I always figured XC's texture problems were mostly a decision to cut corners so that they could actually finish the game under budget, or close to. It was a hefty project for monolith at the time.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

bloodychill posted:

I always figured XC's texture problems were mostly a decision to cut corners so that they could actually finish the game under budget, or close to. It was a hefty project for monolith at the time.

Yeah that was pretty much it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Night Blade posted:

What does BLADE stand for? It's dumber than you think.

It's even worse in Japanese, as are a lot of the Division names.

Beyond the Logos Artificial Destiny Emancipator

Colepedian (Curators)
Avalanche (Harriers)
Interceptor (Interceptors)
Companion (Mediators)
Arms Company (Outfitters)
Path Finder (Pathfinders)
Land Bank (Prospectors)
Testament (Reclaimers)

Also "Overed" is loving stupid.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Honestly I like the majority of the characters and I don't even mind getting six types of soldier, they just all needed a little more to them. The rare occasions they interact with each other are fun & all games need more banter IMO

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Land Bank and Colepedian? Really? Avalanche is kinda cool though.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Mediators apparently run a Maid Cafe in the game. But The Wrothians are the wrong type of cat girls that the clients wanted.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I had real difficulty doing the quest for Phog because some random enormous monkey thing continually aggroed on me. It was level 60+ and the mobs for the quest were level 12, how annoying.

I'm 49 hours in and I think that the first game was better than this one. This is really pretty and I enjoy the Skell dynamic as well as the missions in the town being far less of an arse compared to the first game.
But the gathering quests are such an enormous time sink and having to google it every single time and then spending forever looking for stuff gets to me. And then quests lead to other quests so you don't feel like you can just leave it and not bother.

Also quests that say "Kill 10 grex" or whatever and then don't direct you to them. Again I know I can google it but it's still annoying that arbitrarily this quest doesn't show me where the mobs are but the one before did.
And not telling you what level things are! I take four tyrant quests and one is level 11 and the next is level 50 with no warning at all. Why?! Then learning that many of the missions from the big panel thing are how you recruit people, I didn't realise that until I googled the Phog one - I assumed it meant a mission from a person to pick up that quest.

Having to read the manual for everything is annoying too. I had no idea what that grab thing was all about because I'd read about Skells 30 hours ago and it wasn't easy to find it again. I didn't know about the "B" after you come out of the skell affecting insurance either! I'm glad someone here posted about it.

There's just so many little annoyances that build up to make playing a pain. For the most part it's still fun and I want to complete it but when I've only got like 3 hours a day for 3 days to play a lot of the time using two of those hours to find some gourd that is a 1/100 drop in a specific area feels like a big waste of time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Taear posted:

I had real difficulty doing the quest for Phog because some random enormous monkey thing continually aggroed on me. It was level 60+ and the mobs for the quest were level 12, how annoying.

Don't bring your Skell :ssh:.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Don't do stuff on the quest board unless:

- it's a "social" quest that leads you to a proper one
- it gives you a catte or dogge
- it's collection and you have the items already

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

kirbysuperstar posted:

Don't do stuff on the quest board unless:

- it's a "social" quest that leads you to a proper one
- it gives you a catte or dogge
- it's collection and you have the items already

Kill X of Y are pretty easy and show up on you radar. Also Find Specific Probe is good.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

greatn posted:

Kill X of Y are pretty easy and show up on you radar. Also Find Specific Probe is good.

Then you get to the X of Y and they're level 60. I was TOTALLY ignoring the quest board until I discovered that you have to do it for some "real" quests. I guess I just don't like the mixture. It would be better if quest board is entirely and only repeatable quests for tiny useless amounts of money (seriously, 3k?) and normal quests all come from people instead of mixing it up a bit.

And I didn't bring my Skell to the Phog quest - that big monkey aggros on you regardless! He's running around the area and has an eye aggro marker.

Taear fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jan 8, 2016

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

NTT posted:

I can't decide whether I really like this game or think it's really terrible, but also fun

I was just shy of 200 hours last time I checked and I still can't decide if this is the best worst game or worst best game.

The Taint Reaper posted:

Mediators apparently run a Maid Cafe in the game. But The Wrothians are the wrong type of cat girls that the clients wanted.

All the dumb poo poo that the people of NLA get up to as more species start living there definitely goes into the "best" column though. I remember running into a multi-species women's society pool-party complaining about their husbands at night once.

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

The rare occasions they interact with each other are fun & all games need more banter IMO

This is honestly the biggest weakness of the game for me. The first Xenoblade tried to mix up which party members chat up each other in main story cutscenes, the heart-to-hearts went through every character combination, every character pair has three or four different accepting-mission lines depending on who's the lead, and the battle victory quotes. Conversely Xenoblade X only has the battle victory quotes and that's it.

I think one thing that makes Phog and Fry (at leas Phog anyway) more likable is that they're the only characters that aren't Elma and Lin that have an actual character to play off of in their affinity missions. Literally everyone else either has Elma and Lin on their team and more or less steal the focus, or they're literally the only required member and the player avatar is more of a mirror than a conversation partner. Obviously with a 20-person large cast you can't give unique story scenes to every possible pair like the first Xenoblade did, but just pair off a couple characters like Phog and Fry are. Put Hope and Murderess together and see how that affects a mission, pair up L and Bozé together to have L give zero fucks about racist grampa, force H.B. and Mia into a party and have them annoy each other half to death.

The big problem is that almost nobody has anyone to play off of, so all they get is a silent protagonist to monologue at, and it's pretty loving hard to care about a character when all they can do is monologue at you about their feelings and histories rather than have them organically revealed and grow with the rest of the cast.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

a cartoon duck posted:

The big problem is that almost nobody has anyone to play off of, so all they get is a silent protagonist to monologue at, and it's pretty loving hard to care about a character when all they can do is monologue at you about their feelings and histories rather than have them organically revealed and grow with the rest of the cast.

It'd be nice if they were a bit more alien as well. There's too many very similar humans, or anime character archetypes like HB.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

My copy's come in the mail waiting to be picked up. Time to read the manual.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Yeah when L joined up I was like sweet, we're gonna get a bunch of aliens! Nope just twenty humans. The lion dude I've seen once seemed to have a glaringly obvious "THIS GUY IS GONNA JOIN YOUR PARTY" sign over his head but I guess he doesn't join up.

Cut the party members in half and use those resources to give them conversations with each other. There's way too many to care about, especially with how thin they all are. It's honestly not worth tracking down someone, adding them to the party, equipping them, and going through an affinity that is 75% cutscenes with the most cliche "power of friendship" dialogue I've ever encountered.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's extremely hosed up there's no Heropon in this game, only a Worthlessscroungerpon with one of the most grating musical themes in the game

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Every time Tatsu does something, I immediately just think about how much I miss Riki. :(

I really don't know how Monolith did it, but Riki was really cool and likable. They even admitted that he seemed like he'd be a really unlikable character on paper and I wasn't expecting to like him at all, but Riki just works extremely well and he's a fantastic cast member in so many ways.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
They really messed up by not having at least a wrothian join your team, since from what I understand their bodies are the same as your regular human body so they wouldn't need to animate it or rig it differently

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah when L joined up I was like sweet, we're gonna get a bunch of aliens! Nope just twenty humans. The lion dude I've seen once seemed to have a glaringly obvious "THIS GUY IS GONNA JOIN YOUR PARTY" sign over his head but I guess he doesn't join up.

Cut the party members in half and use those resources to give them conversations with each other.

This might be the first RPG where I choose my fourth party member just because they use an ability set that nobody else does. I feel I should always use Lin and Elma but that's as far as it goes.
Right now party member 4 is Murderess. I think that party members not levelling up when they're outside your party also makes it so you're not likely to mix it up unless you absolutely have to so the more I use Murderess the less likely I am to put someone else in my party.

Does anyone know the reason you cannot buy probes? Or does that change later? If they're going to make it so that a Research Probe I doesn't synch with a Research Probe IV then at least let me plan it a bit by allowing me to buy some of them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You never buy them. You get the most out of Research Probes by placing them on sites with viewpoints rather than what the revenue rating is, with adjacent Booster or Duplicator probes. Kirsty's quests will you most of the Research Probes in the game.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You never buy them. You get the most out of Research Probes by placing them on sites with viewpoints rather than what the revenue rating is, with adjacent Booster or Duplicator probes. Kirsty's quests will you most of the Research Probes in the game.

Again though that doesn't explain why you can't buy them or why the different types don't synch up properly. Having the bonus mechanic almost feels pointless because it's so hard to get a decent chain when the most of a paticular type you can get is four or three.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Yeah it would have been really great to have more aliens join the team. I realize that they did it because they didn't want non-BLADES doing stuff for you or to have anybody incapable of riding in a Skell (Nopon), and just to keep that player avatar thing going with the online connectivity and stuff... But one of those weird non-standard Orpheans would have been great.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Taear posted:

Again though that doesn't explain why you can't buy them or why the different types don't synch up properly. Having the bonus mechanic almost feels pointless because it's so hard to get a decent chain when the most of a paticular type you can get is four or three.
Chains are to make you feel better about trash mining probes on trash nodes. Boosters and Duplicators are for making actual useful stuff happen with the rare Storage and Research Probes.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Alxprit posted:

Yeah it would have been really great to have more aliens join the team. I realize that they did it because they didn't want non-BLADES doing stuff for you or to have anybody incapable of riding in a Skell (Nopon), and just to keep that player avatar thing going with the online connectivity and stuff... But one of those weird non-standard Orpheans would have been great.

They should have taken cues from Xenogears and make the Nopon's Skell form just be the same as its ground form, just giant. They even had a sidequest in the first game that made a Nopon grow huge, though not really to Skell size.

Anyway, are there any prereqs to get Phog's mission to appear on the board? I keep checking it but haven't gotten it yet.

Also, who is Murderess? Is that some unanimously agreed upon nickname (like Seven in the first game) or an actual character name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ometeotl posted:

Also, who is Murderess? Is that some unanimously agreed upon nickname (like Seven in the first game) or an actual character name?

It's the character's self-assumed name. She is as terrible as her name would suggest

• Locked thread