Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

verbal enema posted:

Never heard of this. Tell me more.

Look up the Social War. The Italian states were sick of being under de facto Roman hegemony without getting any of the benefits of citizenship. Going to war under the Roman eagle and then getting an unfairly small share of the spoils was a particular sticking point. Turns out not paying your army is always a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

sullat posted:

The Social War is not one of the more popular ones, since the Romans won it by conceding to their opponent's demands. Basically, Roman citizens got preference in just about everything; land ownership, legal disputes, etc. The Italian "allies" were pissed, and so they rebelled. Rome did an OK job of crushing them, but probably realized they needed more dudes to get the world conquest thing going, so they granted citizenship to all the Italians.

Specifically it was that Mithradates was causing major amounts of trouble in the east, including issuing an order to have all Romans in Asia Minor killed in the Asiatic Vespers. The presence of an external threat swayed the Senate and they gave in instead of taking years to defeat the allies in a war of attrition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asiatic_Vespers

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

This is also happening in the context of the Latifundia: the displacement of small hold farmers by large estates. If Roman citizens are so hard up for land that they're going to demand wars of conquest and eventually blow up the government anyway, imagine how bad it was for non citizens. So this is not just unfair treatment of the Italian Allies, it's unfair treatment of the Allies in the context of wealth disparity that will destroy the Roman government within two generations.

Also the senator who was trying to introduce these reforms peacefully was murdered by conservatives, so that tends to put an end to peaceful discussion.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Star Man posted:

The medical procedure that I was given birth with is named after a guy that got stabbed by thirteen people. Sounds about right.

Between Suetonius, Plutarch, and Nicolaus, the crowd of assassins is numbered between 60 to 80, and the wounds from 23 to 35. Where's thirteen from?

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Did Roman toilets and garum improve sanitation? Maybe not so much (the headline in the link is pretty declarative, but I'm gong to stick with maybe):

http://popular-archaeology.com/issue/june-2013/article/ancient-roman-toilets-did-not-improve-sanitation

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Star Man posted:

The medical procedure that I was given birth with is named after a guy that got stabbed by thirteen people. Sounds about right.

Not exactly. It's possible that he got his cognomen from one of his ancestors being delivered by C-section, but even that is debatable: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesarean_section#Etymology

Incidentally, Caesar himself apparently preferred to interpret his name as deriving from an ancestor who killed an elephant.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 8, 2016

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Otteration posted:

Did Roman toilets and garum improve sanitation? Maybe not so much (the headline in the link is pretty declarative, but I'm gong to stick with maybe):

http://popular-archaeology.com/issue/june-2013/article/ancient-roman-toilets-did-not-improve-sanitation

When people are making GBS threads in a designated area separate from the drinking water supply and widespread public exposure that's probably going to improve sanitation.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Between Suetonius, Plutarch, and Nicolaus, the crowd of assassins is numbered between 60 to 80, and the wounds from 23 to 35. Where's thirteen from?

Shakespeare

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

FAUXTON posted:

When people are making GBS threads in a designated area separate from the drinking water supply and widespread public exposure that's probably going to improve sanitation.

The article mentions that the Romans liked to use human poo poo as fertilizer, so they're literally dumping poo poo in the food supply.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

The article mentions that the Romans liked to use human poo poo as fertilizer, so they're literally dumping poo poo in the food supply.

Sure, but there's a few steps between points a and b.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Sleep of Bronze posted:

I don't remember where I got that number.

Oh wait, duh. Shakespeare.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Night Soil is a pretty common fertilizer, yes. Sorry to gross you out.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

OwlFancier posted:

They aren't dumping poo poo on the harvested grain, yo. You do understand that manure is still a broadly-used fertilizer practically everywhere? Everybody poops, that poop often contains what plants crave, so you throw it in the dirt and the plants get bigger. Dropping a deuce on your Carthago Delendam garden is free and makes it grow more grain and stuff.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

FAUXTON posted:

They aren't dumping poo poo on the harvested grain, yo. You do understand that manure is still a broadly-used fertilizer practically everywhere? Everybody poops, that poop often contains what plants crave, so you throw it in the dirt and the plants get bigger. Dropping a deuce on your Carthago Delendam garden is free and makes it grow more grain and stuff.

sullat posted:

Night Soil is a pretty common fertilizer, yes. Sorry to gross you out.

Not fresh poo poo it isn't, that's bad practice and a good way to give everyone parasites. You're supposed to let it compost first.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

FAUXTON posted:

... your Carthago Delendam garden. ..

:golfclap:

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

It's not that easy. Cow poo poo contains diseases that infect cows, human poo poo contains diseases that infect humans. You have to be very careful with harvesting time after fertilizing with human poo poo, not so much if you use literally any other animals poop.

OwlFancier posted:

Not fresh poo poo it isn't, that's bad practice and a good way to give everyone parasites. You're supposed to let it compost first.

Witness this Hep A outbreak earlier in 2015 that ended with a lot more than the quoted 9 people getting hepatitis. The cause was fertilizing with human poo poo just before harvesting.

Also, don't buy food from China unless you like living dangerously.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Nightsoil, or human excrement as fertilizer, is a high-risk high-reward kind of thing. On the one hand, you might literally not have enough cow/horse poo poo to fertilize all your land and need a supplement of some sort. It will increase your yield. It also might make you really sick or kill you eventually because your bacteria are still in the food at the end. It's a gamble.

People back then knew it was a gamble, even if they didn't understand germ theory.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I have nothing constructive to add except that "nightsoil" is a wonderful euphemism.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
I am also fond of the term "gong farmer".

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

I remember a poster here that was doing archivist stuff where they had some documents relating to Irish farmers and the Catholic church. If you are still around is there any way to contact you to talk about it? I have a friend that is doing his masters in Irish studies and was really interred in talking to you.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 10, 2016

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ughhhh posted:

I remember a poster here that was doing archivist stuff where they had some documents relating to Irish farmers and the Catholic church. If you are still around is there any way to contact you to talk about it? I have a friend that is doing his masters in Irish studies and was really interred in talking to you.

That would be oberleutnant.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

And he hangs out in UKMT when he isn't probated.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
What's the curriculum of the master in Irish studies?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
A Treatise On the Preparation of the Noble Potato

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

JaucheCharly posted:

What's the curriculum of the master in Irish studies?

Literally blowing a london taxi up.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

FAUXTON posted:

Literally blowing a london taxi up.

No, that's the thesis defense.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Thesis defense is a bareknuckle fight over 5 rounds with the traveller guest lector.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

This is where Octavian got his skeletons, right?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Mary Beard's SPQR was good. Got some more good book titles that you could throw at me?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Star Man posted:

Mothers are the original rubicon

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

JaucheCharly posted:

Mary Beard's SPQR was good. Got some more good book titles that you could throw at me?

The Landmark series.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Can you give me an exact title? Search is just turning up lots of landmarks in Rome or travelling guides.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JaucheCharly posted:

Can you give me an exact title? Search is just turning up lots of landmarks in Rome or travelling guides.
it's a series of certain editions/english translations of classical works

this is the thucydides i read in undergrad, for instance
http://www.amazon.com/The-Landmark-Thucydides-Comprehensive-Peloponnesian/dp/0684827905

they look good, the translations are good, and (most importantly) they've got maps

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

HEY GAL posted:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Landmark-Thucydides-Comprehensive-Peloponnesian/dp/0684827905

they look good, the translations are good, and (most importantly) they've got maps

...and I already have all these works.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

HEY GAL posted:

These are really good and they have to hurry up with their edition of Caesar. :mad:

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

JaucheCharly posted:

...and I already have all these works.

But do they have kick rear end maps? And great appendixes. Appendices?

Extra bits.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

the JJ posted:

But do they have kick rear end maps? And great appendixes. Appendices?

Extra bits.

wouldn't he be more likely to look for those in his native language tho

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
I know exactly what you are planning: I don't need more books in rambling 19th century german.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

JaucheCharly posted:

I know exactly what you are planning: I don't need more books in rambling 19th century german.

Correction: you don't want them. Everyone needs them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Otteration posted:

Did Roman toilets and garum improve sanitation?
In Rome toilets were often placed near the kitchen. So probably..not?