Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Snoke is getting a lot of attention for an unimportant side character. Like the Emperor in The Empire Strikes Back, it doesn't matter who he is except in relation to the person he's speaking to. The scenes he's in aren't even about him or the First Order -- they're about how Kylo Ren hates his pops and wants to purge the light from his soul. They're almost completely redundant with other scenes in the film, something that can't be said of the Emperor's scene in ESB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Dubplate Fire posted:

They are terribly made movies with some cool ideas. Why are people trying to make them something that are not. Why the gently caress does Obi wan even need a pilot in a new hope? He can obviously fly a ship it's shown in the prequels.

They need a pilot skilled enough to get them past the Imperial blockade, or something along those lines. Kenobi explains this to Luke (who is also a pilot) when Han first names his price in the Mos Eisley cantina. It's been a while since I've seen the prequels; I know Obi-Wan is a pilot like all Jedi, but is he any good? Like, does he have any dogfights?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Snoke is getting a lot of attention for an unimportant side character. Like the Emperor in The Empire Strikes Back, it doesn't matter who he is except in relation to the person he's speaking to. The scenes he's in aren't even about him or the First Order -- they're about how Kylo Ren hates his pops and wants to purge the light from his soul. They're almost completely redundant with other scenes in the film, something that can't be said of the Emperor's scene in ESB.

I really loved A force Awakens but he's like the only interesting mystery

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dubplate Fire posted:

Why are people trying to make them something that are not.
People are trying to reveal what they are -- and succeeding.

hemale in pain posted:

I really loved A force Awakens but he's like the only interesting mystery
He's barely interesting and not really a mystery. He's the Supreme Leader of the First Order and a mentor to Kylo Ren. There's no esoteric knowledge about the character than can be discovered through analysis of photographs. It simply doesn't exist because the film is a work of fiction.

Terrorist Fistbump fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 8, 2016

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

Noam Chomsky posted:

Well, Obi Wan didn't have a ship. So, I guess he really needed a ship and I guess that comes with a pilot on Tatooine?

The truth is that Lucas didn't have the prequels planned out in detail when he made the originals. So, a bunch of stuff was retconned and makes no sense except in the minds of wanna-be film critics on a comedy forum.

Except Luke whines about being able to buy a ship for the price Han wants. And Ben is like nah lets hire this guy we need a pilot. The prequels blow, I'm watching rots right now (I haven't seen it since it came out in the theatres), it's not a good movie. I watched them all this week. They are bad movies, the effects look like poo poo, the acting is abysmal and the author can't even stay consistent. The editing not good, they can't decide if they wanna be a children's movies or political drama. You seriously have to be a loving contrarian retard to try and say that these are good movies. Also the revenant loving sucked too.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

bad movies :agreed:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dubplate Fire posted:

Except Luke whines about being able to buy a ship for the price Han wants. And Ben is like nah lets hire this guy we need a pilot. The prequels blow, I'm watching rots right now (I haven't seen it since it came out in the theatres), it's not a good movie. I watched them all this week. They are bad movies, the effects look like poo poo, the acting is abysmal and the author can't even stay consistent. The editing not good, they can't decide if they wanna be a children's movies or political drama. You seriously have to be a loving contrarian retard to try and say that these are good movies. Also the revenant loving sucked too.

No matter how much you might repeat this prayer, all it shows is your increasing doubt.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Dubplate Fire posted:

Except Luke whines about being able to buy a ship for the price Han wants. And Ben is like nah lets hire this guy we need a pilot.

Luke thought they could almost afford a ship with the 10 thousand credit fee that Han wanted to charge, not with the 2 thousand Obi Wan could actually put together. Remember that Obi-Wan promised most of the fee upon their arrival at Alderaan.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 8, 2016

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Chill Penguin posted:

They need a pilot skilled enough to get them past the Imperial blockade, or something along those lines. Kenobi explains this to Luke (who is also a pilot) when Han first names his price in the Mos Eisley cantina. It's been a while since I've seen the prequels; I know Obi-Wan is a pilot like all Jedi, but is he any good? Like, does he have any dogfights?

He outwits Jango Fett in an asteroid field dogfight in AotC, then he gets bailed out by Anakin in that opening battle in RotS. He repeatedly makes mention of hating flying in his 20s-early 30s, so I imagine that gets exacerbated after spending a few decades on some podunk desert world.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

Chill Penguin posted:

He's flying decently enough at the beginning of rots. He's not Han Solo, but it doesn't make sense to trust this random dude. Obi wan has the force, that should make him a pretty decent pilot. Ahhh gently caress all these movies. TFA was the poo poo tho.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Chill Penguin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utFRqsT61-k

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

JohnSherman posted:

Luke thought they could almost afford a ship with the 10 thousand credit fee that Han wanted to charge, not with the 2 thousand Obi Wan could actually put together. Remember that Obi-Wan promised most of the fee upon their arrival at Alderaan.

They should've just gambled for a ship and had obiwan use the force to make sure that they won like Liam neesons.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

I kinda hope Lucas hears about it. He's mentioned in the past that peoples reaction to the PT has dissuaded him from directing any more Star Wars movies.

His reasoning for not directing is, first and foremost, that he wanted to make movies he actually wanted to make. When Disney said they didn't want his ideas for Episode VII, he said "ok, I'd rather we go our separate ways" and he SEVERED. The fact that Disney was angling to do something the fans wanted is only indirectly responsible.

Overall, while it was evidently difficult for him to let go of such a personal project (the "selling my children to white slavers" joke that turbohaters pounced on), having the time and money to do personal projects without regard to their commercial viability was more important to him. I think he would have been crazy not to take the deal, and I think whatever films he makes from this point on will reinforce this cycle of critical re-appraisal.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

homullus posted:

His reasoning for not directing is, first and foremost, that he wanted to make movies he actually wanted to make. When Disney said they didn't want his ideas for Episode VII, he said "ok, I'd rather we go our separate ways" and he SEVERED. The fact that Disney was angling to do something the fans wanted is only indirectly responsible.

Overall, while it was evidently difficult for him to let go of such a personal project (the "selling my children to white slavers" joke that turbohaters pounced on), having the time and money to do personal projects without regard to their commercial viability was more important to him. I think he would have been crazy not to take the deal, and I think whatever films he makes from this point on will reinforce this cycle of critical re-appraisal.

It was the best move. He should've sold it for way more tho, they are gonna make their money back in like 2 years. I guess in Lucas's hands the franchise is worth a lot less.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

nevermind

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Dubplate Fire posted:

He's flying decently enough at the beginning of rots. He's not Han Solo, but it doesn't make sense to trust this random dude. Obi wan has the force, that should make him a pretty decent pilot. Ahhh gently caress all these movies. TFA was the poo poo tho.

How could someone trained in the force possibly determine if someone was trustworthy?

They have 2000 credits not nearly enough to buy their own ship, and Han Solo has the fastest in the galaxy and they need to get there fast. Also he hasn't flown in like 20 years and his young friend thinks he's a good pilot cause he flies a souped up passenger car and has never once been in space.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

He's barely interesting and not really a mystery. He's the Supreme Leader of the First Order and a mentor to Kylo Ren. There's no esoteric knowledge about the character than can be discovered through analysis of photographs. It simply doesn't exist because the film is a work of fiction.

There are lots of mysteries, and Snoke is interesting.

Who is he? He appears old and injured - was he alive during Palpatine's time? Is he a Sith, or force-sensitive, or something else?

Did he found the Knights fo Ren? Who are they? Are they Jedi, force-sensitive, or just warriors who are now led by Kylo?

Are any of the Knights former pupils of Luke?

Who is Rey? Who took her to Jakku?

And on and on.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Dubplate Fire posted:

They are terribly made movies with some cool ideas. Why are people trying to make them something that are not. Why the gently caress does Obi wan even need a pilot in a new hope? He can obviously fly a ship it's shown in the prequels.

Obi-Wan is clearly trying to stay under the radar, and doesn't really have enough to buy a good ship. He point-blank tells Han Solo they need a ride to Alderaan, with no questions asked. When pressed for details from Han, he just mentions he wants to avoid the Empire, which raises Han's price.

They sell Luke's landspeeder at a lower price to just get the sale over with, and get out of Mos Eisley. They have just enough for a down payment to pay Solo up front, with the promise of a larger payment at Alderaan from the Rebel leaders. Han agrees because, despite the risk, he's in a lot of debt, and even tells Chewie their fare must be desperate.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My hope for the Knights of Ren is that they are not force-sensitive but just the groupies to Kylo Ren's lead fanboy. That is why Ren is their leader because he is the only one of them with an iota of talent and the rest of them desperately wish they were like him. They try to appear cool and intimidating but they're like those guys who wear trenchcoats and slouch to look tough when they're 90 pounds and blown over by a swift breeze.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Filthy Casual posted:

He outwits Jango Fett in an asteroid field dogfight in AotC, then he gets bailed out by Anakin in that opening battle in RotS. He repeatedly makes mention of hating flying in his 20s-early 30s, so I imagine that gets exacerbated after spending a few decades on some podunk desert world.

He's also been a hermit for two decades. We're lucky he remembered pants and isn't pissing in jars.

homullus posted:

That's probably the stupidest part of all of this. Lucas can make whatever he wants. If he negotiated with Disney he could probably do something with the Star Wars IP (not involving the current storyline or characters). If he felt Disney wasn't doing the series justice he could prove them wrong a dozen times over with his own money.

If he's too invested in Luke Skywalker to write a story about anyone else then that's a pretty good sign he's running on empty creatively.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I guess I always assumed "Knights of Ren" implied they are Kylo Ren's minions or whatever, but what if "Ren" is a title like "Darth" is, so the Knights of Ren are all dudes with names like his: Kylo Ren, Johnny Ren, etc.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
^ In the film they say that Kylo joined them and is now their leader. Ren is likely the new Darth.

Krispy Kareem posted:

He's also been a hermit for two decades. We're lucky he remembered pants and isn't pissing in jars.

Technically, we don't know that he WASN'T pissing in jars. Also, he certainly could be completely bare-assed underneath the robe.

Chill Penguin fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 8, 2016

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
In all the films its pretty common for Jedi masters to reject apprentices because they're too emotional, attached, ambitious, etc. I would guess the Knights of Ren are force-talented youth that Luke rejected, who subsequently got taken in by Snoke and/or Kylo.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Red posted:

There are lots of mysteries, and Snoke is interesting.

Who is he? He appears old and injured - was he alive during Palpatine's time? Is he a Sith, or force-sensitive, or something else?

Did he found the Knights fo Ren? Who are they? Are they Jedi, force-sensitive, or just warriors who are now led by Kylo?

Are any of the Knights former pupils of Luke?

Who is Rey? Who took her to Jakku?

And on and on.
The answers to these questions don't exist. They have to be authored by someone. The Star Wars universe is unlike ours in that it can't be examined to find new information, but only to find new thematic relationships between known facts.

The desire to know more gives us the excess and stupidity of the EU. Canon is a cancer of the mind and a failure of imagination. And on and on.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

The answers to these questions don't exist. They have to be authored by someone. The Star Wars universe is unlike ours in that it can't be examined to find new information, but only to find new thematic relationships between known facts.

The desire to know more gives us the excess and stupidity of the EU. Canon is a cancer of the mind and a failure of imagination. And on and on.

Just because the films aren't a window into a literal, boundless alternate universe doesn't mean the people in charge of them don't have some ideas of where they're going, or that they didn't leave clues and implications of what is coming next.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

rear end Catchcum posted:

Why is Snoke not plaugeis? The musical cue is all the evidence you need. Plus, the fact that they are like, the same loving race once you factor in his injuries, death, and artistic interpretation.

That's not enough evidence. The same sort of music plays when Palpatine tells Maul to go to Tatooine. It's Williams' shorthand for "evil bad guys plotting."

He could be Plagueis, but he could just as well be some mysterious alien who sat out in the Unknown Regions or whatever.

Personally I think he's pretty lame so far so let's hope they come up with something cool.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lord Krangdar posted:

Just because the films aren't a window into a literal, boundless alternate universe doesn't mean the people in charge of them don't have some ideas of where they're going, or that they didn't leave clues and implications of what is coming next.
Our relationship to film ought to bear no resemblance to our relationship to cocaine.

And Snoke is still a boring dude who does nothing and at best looks neat.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

There's a real dissonance here, because "look no further" is identical as far as failure of imagination goes to any kind of canonicity.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

computer parts posted:

I guess you just outed yourself as a wanna-be film critic.

Eh, not really. I don't have any elaborate, intricate analysis or opinions on the films. I just view them as fun, somewhat flawed movies with ray gun and laser sword wielding heroes fighting against a dark lord and his evil empire.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
Is Yoda gonna be in this trilogy you think? He's cool as heck.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Effectronica posted:

There's a real dissonance here, because "look no further" is identical as far as failure of imagination goes to any kind of canonicity.

There is plenty to look into further. There is a rich web of relationships between the seven Star Wars films that are already out, other film, literature, history, any number of things. There is plenty to be gained in examining those relationships but very little to be gained from idle speculation about what is to be revealed about a nothing character.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Lord Krangdar posted:

In all the films its pretty common for Jedi masters to reject apprentices because they're too emotional, attached, ambitious, etc. I would guess the Knights of Ren are force-talented youth that Luke rejected, who subsequently got taken in by Snoke and/or Kylo.

Adam Driver said that from what he was told, the Knights of Ren existed before Kylo even though he's their master now. It'd be more interesting to me if they were their own group with their own philosophy about the Force, who don't make lightsabers like Jedi and Sith do, which would explain why only the guy who was once training to be a Jedi uses a lightsaber and why he couldn't make a proper one. Kylo Ren is the grandson of a guy who was stronger in the Force than just about anybody, that would be reason enough for how he could become their leader.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Noam Chomsky posted:

Eh, not really. I don't have any elaborate, intricate analysis or opinions on the films. I just view them as fun, somewhat flawed movies with ray gun and laser sword wielding heroes fighting against a dark lord and his evil empire.

If you view anything beyond that as just wanna-be film criticism, you must have an issue with self-confidence or something. I'd bet if you allowed yourself to elaborate more on your opinions you'd find you actually have interesting worthwhile thoughts about the films, and film in general.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

There is plenty to look into further. There is a rich web of relationships between the seven Star Wars films that are already out, other film, literature, history, any number of things. There is plenty to be gained in examining those relationships but very little to be gained from idle speculation about what is to be revealed about a nothing character.

There's not really that much to be gained in examining the relationships between a popular series of genre flicks and the rest of the world that is unique to those genre pictures. Sorry dude.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

I hope Lucas didn't intend the whole "the Jedi are the REAL bad guys" or the "the Republic had it coming" angle that is so prevalent in this thread and elsewhere. That would dampen my enjoyment of the PT.

It's not so much "they had it coming" as "they were undone by their flaws", which is the classic definition of tragedy. The Jedi and Republic had noble goals but fell short due to familiar problems- rigidity, complacency, etc.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

eriddy posted:

Is Yoda gonna be in this trilogy you think? He's cool as heck.

He's already made a sound-only cameo in the first movie.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I was sorta wondering if Snoke was meant to be someone too- they made him look like a scarred and deformed human, so there's a certain "is this someone we've seen before" vibe.

Of course it may just be that they wanted the villain to look fairly human so as to be more expressive than a bug-eyed monster, or more frightening, so I'm not pinning a lot on some shocking revelation.

But it does point back to the mystery of what specifically went wrong. The story of this movie is that despite the happy ending of Return of the Jedi, something didn't go right in the aftermath- the Dark Side quickly found a new expression in the First Order and Knights of Ren and now they're threatening the entire galaxy. Just as Empire revealed a little more about Darth Vader I'm expecting Episode VIII to give us a little more, but I'm not necessarily expecting another shock "I AM YOUR FORMER ROOMMATE" reveal.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Basebf555 posted:

If you view anything beyond that as just wanna-be film criticism, you must have an issue with self-confidence or something. I'd bet if you allowed yourself to elaborate more on your opinions you'd find you actually have interesting worthwhile thoughts about the films, and film in general.

Your assumption that I must have no self-confidence or opinions about films, because I view Star Wars as a really fun series about laserswords and space wizards and that's it, says everything that needs to be said about wanna-be film critics posting on a comedy forum. I don't think it's bad that people are discussing the details of Star Wars but I do believe that if you continually search for meaning in something, you'll find it even if it isn't there.

Perhaps I just enjoy Star Wars for all the surface level stuff and that analyzing every single thing in this type of media doesn't provide more enjoyment for me? I do think deconstruction sometimes, often times maybe, reduces enjoyment of this kind of media, as does the nerdsphere's need to categorize and back-story every single thing about everything they enjoy. No, it must be that I lack confidence and opinions. :)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Noam Chomsky posted:

Your assumption that I must have no self-confidence or opinions about films, because I view Star Wars as a really fun series about laserswords and space wizards and that's it, says everything that needs to be said about wanna-be film critics posting on a comedy forum. I don't think it's bad that people are discussing the details of Star Wars but I do believe that if you continually search for meaning in something, you'll find it even if it isn't there.

Perhaps I just enjoy Star Wars for all the surface level stuff and that analyzing every single thing in this type of media doesn't provide more enjoyment for me? No, it must be that I lack confidence and opinions. :)

I'm only responding to your own words. Your claim is that to analyze and elaborate on Star Wars beyond the surface elements amounts to "wanna-be film criticism". Why would you assume it wouldn't be totally legitimate and worthwhile criticism? Your doubts about your own ability to criticize a film are being projected onto others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Noam Chomsky posted:

I don't think it's bad that people are discussing the details of Star Wars but I do believe that if you continually search for meaning in something, you'll find it even if it isn't there.

That's a silly, if common, way of dismissing interpretation. Watching films is inherently seeing things that aren't there. The laserswords and space wizards are just as 'not there' as any thematic meaning people are getting from the series.

• Locked thread