Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I'm fine with Chad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You'd think that, but YouTube's video viewer count was an unsigned int until Psy came along and made them upgrade.

Actually that article says it was a signed int, the upgrade was doubling the bit count not going from unsigned to signed.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Actually that article says it was a signed int, the upgrade was doubling the bit count not going from unsigned to signed.

Yes, evidently my fingers did not get the memo from my brain when I wrote that post. I meant to say signed int. Oh well :sigh:

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
Alright let's get this thing going.

Part 1: I Get My rear end Kicked By A Tree

Suspicious Dish will be joining me for the entire run of the Randomizer, with a different third guest every few episodes - Artix joins us for the first few. Watch and enjoy as they make fun of me for actually being pretty bad at video games.

This was recorded a few days ago so the name was decided by the vote totals at that time. I didn't want to tell you guys voting was over because I wanted to keep the winner a secret, plus everyone was havin' a good time talking about whatever the gently caress's been going on the last few pages.

Oh and I am gonna aim for 20-25 minute episodes as opposed to the 30 min or so I've usually done, but let me know which one you all prefer. Also if someone could get a mod to change the thread title to "Let's Play Majora's Mask Super Wrong / MM Randomizer", or something like that, that would be nice.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

So I've been playing this randomizer for the past few days but I didn't want to take the wind out of the LP by talking about it before it began. Now that it has, I can say that it gets pretty insane regarding what gives you items. I'm not a big fan of the bottle items being randomized though because although it's fun to have a massively plentiful source of Big Poes to sell at the Curiosity Shop, I haven't found Bugs, Red Potion, or Hot Spring Water. Basically, all the unique bottle items have overwritten the common, useful ones for me and it's a pain.

Still though, it is a very fun randomizer and half the fun comes from trying to remember what conditions give you items, then seeing if you get something that allows you access to other stuff. If you're looking for more guests DoctorKill, I'd love to come on and try puzzling out how to beat The Adventure of f commas MoonMoon. My Skype is in my profile.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 24, 2015

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Is it possible that tree is hard to roll into because there's an NPC in it and his hitbox is at ground level?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

It baffles me why it was ever a signed int in the first place.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Because signed is the default and when they first set up their database they didn't think very hard about it. Database schemas can be a pain in the rear end to change after the fact, so even though they probably knew it was wrong, they didn't want to touch it for fear of breaking other stuff.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Probably to prevent stupid things from happening because the libraries they were using couldn't agree on how to handle an unsigned int. It's not like making it unsigned to begin with would have prevented the need to upgrade to 64 bit very long anyway.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Probably to prevent stupid things from happening because the libraries they were using couldn't agree on how to handle an unsigned int. It's not like making it unsigned to begin with would have prevented the need to upgrade to 64 bit very long anyway.

Gangnam Style is at nearly 2.5 billion views. It'd need to get another 2.3 billion to overflow an unsigned 32-bit integer. Do you really think that it has that much longevity?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Gangnam Style is at nearly 2.5 billion views. It'd need to get another 2.3 billion to overflow an unsigned 32-bit integer. Do you really think that it has that much longevity?

20 year cycle, man. You know how 90's stuff is in again? Our kids will rediscover Gagnam Style.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

https://google.github.io/styleguide/cppguide.html#Integer_Types

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

No, but DoctorKill's vidoes might

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

My guess would be whatever language they originally wrote YouTube in simply didn't support unsigned data types. Most scripting languages don't.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Yes! Fuckin' MoonMoon won

I guess the rest of it was interesting or whatever

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?
Alright this is pretty interesting! I may need to look into downloading it when I get back home!

It's a shame Chad didn't win though, right when things were looking up for him too.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
Part 2: My Run Gets Screwed Up Already

Dish, Artix, and I continue our quest to stumble around blindly until important stuff falls into our pockets, and boy does that ever happen! We get some good gots in this episode, and one that is actually TOO IMPORTANT to get. We receive a trade item from a source that only gives it one time, which will definitely cause problems! It doesn't prevent beating the game but it does make it difficult to get every item, so I'll have to figure something out.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

If the game doesn't have an arbitrary "got adult's wallet from banker" switch you might be able to snag Kafei's Letter from the Ocean Spider House, since you can get the wallets in either order.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
might it not try to give it to you every time? because you still don't, you know, have the wallet.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
Trying to get it again doesn't seem to work, even if I reset time. And if I could get it from the Spiderhouse, that still means that an item is locked out since I've exhausted both wallets. I have a 'solution' but it wont come up until episode 4. But yeah, this is already the biggest problem I've ever had playing the Randomizer! Of course it happens for the LP instead of any of the other times.

Darth Numbers
May 7, 2015
Oh dang, I've been out of the loop too long, completely missed this. Loved your OoT run, and Majora's Mask is my favorite Zelda, so I'm extra excited to catch up. I'm late to the party, but 12 pages in, don't suppose you need anyone for commentary for your randomizer run?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

DoctorKill posted:

Trying to get it again doesn't seem to work, even if I reset time. And if I could get it from the Spiderhouse, that still means that an item is locked out since I've exhausted both wallets. I have a 'solution' but it wont come up until episode 4. But yeah, this is already the biggest problem I've ever had playing the Randomizer! Of course it happens for the LP instead of any of the other times.

Well things going horribly wrong and having to try to fix it with bullshit is kind of the whole point anyway.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
I remember my run where the room key was replaced with a single Deku Stick. Sticks are legit keys, I've picked locks with them before!...and gotten the door jammed.

Come to think of it...that basically means only one Deku Stick per cycle...oh dear.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?
I've started up my own randomizer and it's definitely been...interesting so far, to say the least. I'm keeping a google doc going to keep track of what things are different, the best one so far is the adult wallet being the great fairy sword, although the bomber's notebook turning into a couple's mask trade item will be fun. It's worked out that I can keep getting it, but I think if I ever get the bomber's notebook in my inventory I'll be out on that trade quest.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm an episode behind but I laughed way harder than I should have at the Jon Cena fakeout in the first ep, so thanks for that I guess. I'm also assuming that the purple tunic is part of the randomizer?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I don't remember where the Pendant came from but the Letter overwrote the Pendant's slot.

The first time I played the randomizer, I got a free Razor Sword from the Bomber's Notebook. Unfortunately, I bought the All-Night Mask and it was the Bomber's Notebook so no more free swords for me! :(

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
Hey all, sorry for the lack of participation in the thread over the last few days. Between the holidays and me being kinda sick I've been a bit distracted. But I've still got a new episode for you today!

Part 3 - Sure Wish I Had the Zora Mask

We end up getting some more crucial items in this episode, and in fact end up with all the items one needs to beat the game! That was fast. There's still plenty of stuff left in the world to collect though, so we are far from done. This episode heavily features how lost I am without the Zora Mask, which I really should have gotten before I started hitting owl statues. I miss you Zora Mask

Oh and instead of watching my dumb poo poo you should go watch AGDQ! I can't imagine there are many people interested in what I'm doing who aren't familiar with it, but just in case, AGDQ is a week long speedrunning marathon for charity. For an entire week people from all over fly in to sit on a couch and stream speedruns to raise money, for the Prevent Cancer Foundation right now. They now regularly hit a million dollars so it's pretty cool! If you like glitches or seeing games be played fast go check it out. Full schedule here.

DoctorKill fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 3, 2016

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

If you're gonna link to that, also have a link to the AGDQ thread on these here forums. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3758339

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
Yeah I probably should have done that! Thank you.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
MoonMoon is kinda broken. When you started this, I assumed that the first 10 items you would get would all be useless masks, but now you pretty much won.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Yeah it's a little disappointing that you got so much crucial stuff so early. Looks like there won't be any really crazy item shenanigans dictating you go a certain place because you can't find a source of fire like in my run. Good luck finding the rest of the masks though. I have a feeling one of them will be stuck behind a locked out Couple's Mask portion but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I started playing MM 3ds again recently, and am reminded why I stopped in the first place. The changes they made to that game (versus the oot port) feel straight up destructive to the feel of the game. This ep reminded me because Dr Kill used the deku spin to accelerate into water hopping, which doesn't work nearly as well in 3ds, and they hosed up Odolwa by putting this stupid "weak spot" eye thing on his head so the only way to damage him is to drop deku nuts on him. It feels like a different game that shares assets with Majora's Mask.

Have any speedrunners devoted any effort to it, or were they put off by all the changes?

Word on the Wind
May 23, 2014

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

This ep reminded me because Dr Kill used the deku spin to accelerate into water hopping, which doesn't work nearly as well in 3ds, and they hosed up Odolwa by putting this stupid "weak spot" eye thing on his head so the only way to damage him is to drop deku nuts on him.

I've water spinned in 3DS just fine. As for Odalwa, I read your sentence and all I could think of was, "You can fight him as a Deku?"

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
MM3D is a nice enough speedgame, or at least its any% is. Very different from MM of course. The small changes in mechanics aren't really a big deal in the long run (for example, you can do a sidehop if you want a bigger water hopping boost but I agree that it made no sense to remove that "feature") and there are plenty of new glitches to make up for the lack of bomb hovering and stuff. Unfortunately, they fixed enough stuff that all the categories are now slower (any% by ~15min, all masks by ~20min and 100% by ~1 hour), and there's at least one particular glitch very useful in any% that basically requires you to use a New 3DS (or an old one with a Circle Pad Pro if I'm not mistaken).

The bosses are of course harder when you can't just spam them dead, with Gyorg's second form being particularly annoying due to some RNG, but it is what is. For a casual playthrough I think I actually prefer MM3D in the end.

The fact that it's pretty drat expensive to stream 3DS games doesn't help the community though.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
A lot of people complained about the changes when it came out, but that sort of died down after a while. The MM3D speedrun is pretty good actually, and it can be argued its even more interesting than the regular MM speedrun. They fixed a lot of the more obvious or well known glitches, like ISG (and therefore hovering), but they didn't fix a method for duping bottles or catching hot springs water in those duped bottles. And in MM3D, the bytes you write over when doing that are way different, and much more useful. If you catch hot springs water in the 'Gibdo Mask' slot you can warp directly to Gyorg's room, or directly into Stone Tower.

I would definitely say it being hard to stream is a bigger deal than any of the changes they did.

tiistai posted:

and there's at least one particular glitch very useful in any% that basically requires you to use a New 3DS (or an old one with a Circle Pad Pro if I'm not mistaken).

What glitch is that?

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

DoctorKill posted:

What glitch is that?

The Milk Bar clip with mask jumps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRk-QU6ZXgc

Although to be honest I haven't seen a run in a while, so I'm not 100% sure it's still in the route and the ZSR route page just hasn't been updated yet.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
Well if this run is too easy you'll just have to go find a Kaizo mod.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

A bit off topic, but I gave that Super Metroid randomizer a try. It's alright I guess. The author took a lot of care into making sure the produced ROM is able to be completed which is pretty neat. The problem I have with it is that it really only makes the first few minutes of the game interesting. Before long you end up with everything you need for your current place and then the rest of the game plays as normal.

The first time I tried it with the "Easy" setting I had the Screw Attack, Gravity Suit, Power Bombs, Super Missiles, and Space Jump long before I had the Morph Ball. By the time I picked that up (it was just before Spore Spawn, where the Charge Beam normally is, so very early-game still), I was pretty much good to go to to the end. I'm trying again using the normal skill generator and ended up essentially in the same situation, except without the Gravity Suit, which I currently cannot find. If I'm expect to traverse Maridia without it I might as well give up because gently caress that. :shrug:

One thing though: You either need to know a few fancy speedrunning techniques or know the game completely inside out. I'm in the latter category. Some items deemed "unecessary" by hardcore speedrunners and challenge runners (such as the Hi-Jump Boots and Space Jump) will be found in obscure, fairly well hidden locations you don't ever need to visit in casual play.

I was interested in giving the LttP one a shot until now, but I'll probably end up with the same experience. I'm glad to say that so far your run of the Majora's Mask randomizer is fairly interesting though. It helps that you know how to break the game's back in entertaining ways even if things are going as-designed.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
If you want to get a "fresh" Super Metroid game, then your best bet is probably to try ROM hacks. They aren't going to have the pacing problems that the randomizer can have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

If you want to get a "fresh" Super Metroid game, then your best bet is probably to try ROM hacks. They aren't going to have the pacing problems that the randomizer can have.

I've tried a good number of them. The problem with them (as with all ROM hacks) is that they are insanely difficult to the point where they are extremely unfun. I've been waiting for an "easy mode" hack of SM Redesign for years now.

• Locked thread