Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

In my search for more laffs I just keep stumbling on stuff related to this stupid argument. Now there's this article quoting DHS analysis, a poli sci professor, a BLM ranger, all agreeing that the Bundys took 2014 as a victory and see themselves (correctly?) as being above the law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

As a Millennial I posted:

In my search for more laffs I just keep stumbling on stuff related to this stupid argument. Now there's this article quoting DHS analysis, a poli sci professor, a BLM ranger, all agreeing that the Bundys took 2014 as a victory and see themselves (correctly?) as being above the law.

Yeah that's pretty clear.

They got away with it and now they have a playbook for how to do more.

Anyone want to start a betting pool on when/where the next "protest" will take place?

bij
Feb 24, 2007

SquadronROE posted:

Tactilol squatting

He doesn't appear to have a front sight or an optic on his rifle.

:bravo:

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

sparatuvs posted:

New photos from inside and around the compound

Yep, those are some miserable shifty-looking fuckers

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

agreed, but a failure to press charges doesn't indicate preferential treatment or a lax precedent. for all we know they just weren't able to scrape together a case that would hold up in court - generally the feds prefer to press charges when they have a reasonable certainty of getting a conviction, especially concerning the optics of the feds losing a court case against people who think the court system is already wizard poo poo

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Oregon militants brawl as friends beg them to go home: ‘You’re surrounded by informants’
http://www.rawstory.com/2016/01/oregon-militants-brawl-as-friends-beg-them-to-go-home-youre-surrounded-by-informants/

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Read backwards, of course:

If it weren't for poor Carp Lady, I'd hope this would never end.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Crain posted:

Yeah that's pretty clear.

They got away with it and now they have a playbook for how to do more.

Anyone want to start a betting pool on when/where the next "protest" will take place?

if they get away with this. which i somewhat doubt. i could see them taking hostages next time. or shooting up a goverment office in the sticks somewhere and then taking the survivors hostage.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

I wish the conversation had gone on longer, I really want to know where he was going with Earth's true names.
Probably some insane fundie Mormon poo poo. Last I checked they're Nevada Mormons, who are below Utah and Northern Arizona Mormons in weird, but not by a whole lot.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

honestly, I am starting to believe they may end up killing each other.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Read backwards, of course:

If it weren't for poor Carp Lady, I'd hope this would never end.

ok, i can't decide if this is sadder for the feds or the militia bros

the feds haven't stopped the regular garbage pickup, but of course the militia aren't intimidating enough to scare off the garbage truck

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

if they get away with this. which i somewhat doubt. i could see them taking hostages next time. or shooting up a goverment office in the sticks somewhere and then taking the survivors hostage.
I think they probably do have the advantage of being treated very carefully because nobody wants another Waco/Ruby Ridge, but this would evaporate quickly if they killed live humans or took hostages. They would still probably get treated much more moderately than an equivalent portion of black protestors but they would in fact be apprehended.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Nessus posted:

I think they probably do have the advantage of being treated very carefully because nobody wants another Waco/Ruby Ridge, but this would evaporate quickly if they killed live humans or took hostages. They would still probably get treated much more moderately than an equivalent portion of black protestors but they would in fact be apprehended.

maybe. But i think these dumbfucks are deluded enough to do it.

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

showering has no effect on germs and is terrible for your skin. there is no good reason to do it

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Compared to the Cliven Bundy standoff this is massivesly smaller scale (and also recieving much less popular support.) This would appear to be the opposite direction from what you are suggesting.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Popular Thug Drink posted:

agreed, but a failure to press charges doesn't indicate preferential treatment or a lax precedent. for all we know they just weren't able to scrape together a case that would hold up in court - generally the feds prefer to press charges when they have a reasonable certainty of getting a conviction, especially concerning the optics of the feds losing a court case against people who think the court system is already wizard poo poo

Not only did the loving federal government agree to release the cattle that were illegally grazing on federal land, but as of the end of 2015, he was still having his loving cattle graze illegally. On top of that, he was never arrested (because of the standoff).

So, really the BLM had a really reasonable loving case and they tried to carry it out but these militia fucks got in the way so now we're all pissed off that the government seems to be letting these fuckers get away with it.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

OFFICE FURNITURE AND JIF SECURE, SIR!

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

maybe. But i think these dumbfucks are deluded enough to do it.

I don't see it. I don't think they're evil, just simple-minded, naive, selfish people whining about being oppressed for their lifestyle choices. At the Nevada standoff they kicked out the couple of people who did go on to commit some random shooting somewhere.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Captain_Maclaine posted:

OFFICE FURNITURE AND JIF SECURE, SIR!

Peanut butter lid resecured: sticky situation avoided.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

The one in the middle looks like hes just a stupid kid. Actually kind of feel bad for him, knowing that because of this he'll go down as a wingnut. Something something the true radicalized youth

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Just by watching interviews with Bundy I think that he's too mentally deep into this to surrender. He's beyond rationality's reach. To pull him out of it would crush him, like a stack of cards, checkmate.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

On second thought...

quote:

If the sheriff violates his oath of office, as determined by the right-wing extremists themselves, “he shall be removed by the posse to the most populated intersection of streets in the township and at high noon be hung by the neck, the body remaining until sundown as an example to those who would subvert the law.”

That still fits in with my impression - they'll only kill people if they can defend doing so by some interpretation of the Constitution.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

On second thought...

That still fits in with my impression - they'll only kill people if they can defend doing so by some interpretation of the Constitution.

They also want to arrest a local Democrat for agreeing with the Iran Nuclear Deal.

So, yeah, they'll make up whatever reasons they want.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

mcclay posted:

The one in the middle looks like hes just a stupid kid. Actually kind of feel bad for him, knowing that because of this he'll go down as a wingnut. Something something the true radicalized youth

I want to know what they plan on doing with all those potatoes. I doubt any of them thought far enough ahead to bring a masher, peeler, or deep fryer, and man can't live on plain baked potatoes forever.

I don't know why but I seem to be obsessed with their food situation.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ninkobei posted:

Just by watching interviews with Bundy I think that he's too mentally deep into this to surrender. He's beyond rationality's reach. To pull him out of it would crush him, like a stack of cards, checkmate.

Nothing about this has suggested a well-organized operation with a coherent plan and end goal. "gently caress the fed, yeehaw!" seems to be the sum total of the planning process here.

On second thought...

I've said before: they only like and support sheriffs as long as the sheriffs agree with them. It's just more far-right fascist garbage given a veneer of populism.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I want to know what they plan on doing with all those potatoes. I doubt any of them thought far enough ahead to bring a masher, peeler, or deep fryer, and man can't live on plain baked potatoes forever.

Obviously they will plant them in their own poo poo to hold out for a rescue mission.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Rhesus Pieces posted:

hasselback potatoes

They won't have stuff to make those be amazing but another method.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

On second thought...

No see, no crimes committed, they pose no threat to anyone, just let them do as they want and eventually they'll go home and BLM workers can return to their workplace if it's still inhabitible. Repeat as needed every time they pull something like this.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

CommieGIR posted:

Obviously they will plant them in their own poo poo to hold out for a rescue mission.

Unfortunately, after a tragic breach in their tarp they will lose the entire crop.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Lotka Volterra posted:

Unfortunately, after a tragic breach in their tarp they will lose the entire crop.

thats a pretty pro reference

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lotka Volterra posted:

Rationing is their only hope. They are going to have to Free the poo poo out of this.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Doctor Butts posted:

Not only did the loving federal government agree to release the cattle that were illegally grazing on federal land, but as of the end of 2015, he was still having his loving cattle graze illegally. On top of that, he was never arrested (because of the standoff).

So, really the BLM had a really reasonable loving case and they tried to carry it out but these militia fucks got in the way so now we're all pissed off that the government seems to be letting these fuckers get away with it.

I was reading up on the original case and there apparently hasn't been any movement at all in the federal court system in over 2 years. BLM still has the original court order/warrant/whatever to go seize Bundy's cattle to settle the government debt but has made no attempts to do so, and there are no records of any attempts at filing a lien or any other standard methods of enforcing the monetary judgement and asset forfeiture. It's just kind of embarrassing.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

That article also includes the actual origin of the "redress of grievances" meme:

quote:

The Continental Congress in 1774 sent a list of demands, called the Declaration of Rights and Grievances, to King George III — and the Bundy family and their backers sent a “notice (for) redress of grievances” Dec. 11 to several Oregon and Harney County officials challenging their authority in the Hammond case.
Of course they keep calling their letter just a "redress of grievances" because they can't pick up a dictionary, unless it's to look up the definition of "corporation" and invalidate the federal government out of existence somehow.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

theflyingorc posted:

thats a pretty pro reference

Think the credit belongs to CommieGIR for that one. :shobon:

CommieGIR posted:

Rationing is their only hope. They are going to have to Free the poo poo out of this.

Now I want to see The Martian starring an anti-government redneck.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

CommieGIR posted:

Pray you never learn just how good it can be to see another face.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Popular Thug Drink posted:

ok so we know for sure that he committed treason against a police dog with his foot, what else?

I demand to have proof Ammon Bundy was at the 2014 standoff and broke the law! Watches video of Ammon Bundy breaking the law at the 2014 standoff. I demand to see Ammon Bundy committing other crimes I deem sufficiently serious at the 2014 standoff!

Give it up guy.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Thought experiment:
Say you were the feds and wanted to blockade the compound while waiting them out.

1) You would require at least 2 people stationed on the road. But because of the sick nasty snyper tower, its gotta be far enough away to be outta sight or have cover against it.

2) The whole area is a gently caress of a lotta land. How many mobile patrols and static posts would you need to keep the area locked down? For the sake of arguement 3 static posts in the other cardinal directions, 2 mobile patrols to handle the breaks and lunches. Each of these should be in teams of two for basic safety. We are at 12 people working that. Equal to the ammount of folks inside that building.

3) it is flat-rear end cold out there. So our boys in blue would need heaters and a regular fuel source. That requires a logistics team to ferry fuel, food, and radio batteries to these guys. Another vehicle, another two bodies.

4) you want 24hr survalience? Well, take those twelve people. That one shift. Swing and mid poo poo balloons it up to 36 people.

5) Burns sherif department does not employ 36 people to provide for Yihawdist watch. Those folks will have to be shipped in. Probably federal folks, cuz fuuuuuck if a small township can pay for that many man hours.

The logistics involved in locking the spot down is horrifically expensive for what you are trying to achieve. But eh, would result in some sweet OT and Per Diem.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lotka Volterra posted:

Now I want to see The Martian starring an anti-government redneck.

It'd be over pretty quick as the fucker gets himself killed.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SquadronROE posted:

Tactilol squatting

That jar of peanut butter is suspected of being an informant. Wait, is that a plastic toy skull? Is David Aruni there?

http://usuncut.com/news/oregon-militia-descends-into-fist-fights-chaos/
I think the feds should go in and arrest them before they start shooting each other.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Wrap it up guys, Y'all Queda actually figured it out. The gubbermint won't do poo poo cause it cost money!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I demand to have proof Ammon Bundy was at the 2014 standoff and broke the law! Watches video of Ammon Bundy breaking the law at the 2014 standoff. I demand to see Ammon Bundy committing other crimes I deem sufficiently serious at the 2014 standoff!

Give it up guy.

yeah, i can see how this guy should have been on some kind of terrorist watchlist, what with him allegedly kicking a police dog and all

• Locked thread