Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I'm glad that all the new Star War movies are being done by different directors, because it opens up the possibility of one being directed by Lars Von Trier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I hope we finally get David Lynch.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Broken Loose posted:

Just stop, they're going to ignore all legitimate points you make and then either accuse you of being crazy or angry, or they'll try to play Goon Chicken until they've established they care less about the argument they're in and obviously win by default.
would rey beating kylo ren be more believable to you if chewbacca shot him with a gun that turned him into a tyranid y/n

you can pick whichever edition you want, or maybe he goes from edition to edition over the course of the next ten minutes until the ground opens up

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I continue to insist that an Aronofsky Star Wars would be amazing.

Or terrible. But, probably amazing.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
Rey, so-called Mary Sue, hit a black man in the face with a pole because a malevolent chirping soccer ball told her he was a thief.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Fans rise up and demand the franchise be given back to George Lucas after watching Harmony Korine's Star Wars movie.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm just disappointed that we didn't get Rey working on and then flying an XYB-wing. We could've had toys and an X-wing mini and all and she'd have shown her prior skills blah blah. But mostly look at the lost merchandising opportunity. :mad:

Pyrolocutus posted:

Look at these nerds calling Daisy Ridley a "twink".

https://www.instagram.com/p/6puNsxFE1e/
Geez dude you're gonna get this thread shut down just like the muscle woman GBS thread.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

boom boom boom posted:

Fans rise up and demand the franchise be given back to George Lucas after watching Harmony Korine's Star Wars movie.

I like the cut of your jib.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Chill la Chill posted:

Geez dude you're gonna get this thread shut down just like the muscle woman GBS thread.

That was a magnificent thread and I feel sorry for the neckbeards that were so intimidated by it.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
boom boom boom do they make Gundams that fit on 40mm square bases, but still have some articulation?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

remusclaw posted:

I hope we finally get David Lynch.

This or Terry Gilliam.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I would love to see what a Gilliam style Star Wars would look like.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The Martian, which I really enjoyed, was by Ridley Scott. Make a Star Wars movie by him plz k thx.

wdarkk posted:

boom boom boom do they make Gundams that fit on 40mm square bases, but still have some articulation?

I'm on my phone but plz pretend I pasted your kawaii av saying that here :3:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

LordAba posted:

This or Terry Gilliam.

Or David Cronenberg.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Chill la Chill posted:

The Martian, which I really enjoyed, was by Ridley Scott. Make a Star Wars movie by him plz k thx.

I'm on my phone but plz pretend I pasted your kawaii av saying that here :3:

Isn't it against the law to suggest Ridley Scott direct anything sci-fi ever again after Prometheus

I'm actually sort of excited to see Rian Johnson's take on the franchise but it certainly won't appease the fans who disliked the "quip-speak" (I think that's what they called it in the CineD thread?) given how dialogue tends to sound in his movies, especially Brick. My ideal Episode VIII and IX directors: George Miller and Shane Carruth, respectively.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

wdarkk posted:

They make these which are kinda close to that size, but would hang of the edge of 40mm. Would probably fit on 50 or 60mm depending on the exact guy.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Prometheus was a perfectly good movie and there's nothing either particularly great or wrong about Ridley Scott as a director.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

guts and bolts posted:

hey remember the entire point that whatever in-film justification you use for why kylo lost is, you know, not really relevant in terms of the metanarrative

no?

okay

okay well in terms of the "metanarrative" the heroes of the movie went up against a more powerful enemy and ultimately prevailed, who would have loving thought

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

boom boom boom posted:

What's your loving problem? Are you retarded? I was making a joke about how similar Rey is to Amuro Ray.

I for one would never have picked up you like Gundam until just now

Chill la Chill posted:

I'm just disappointed that we didn't get Rey working on and then flying an XYB-wing. We could've had toys and an X-wing mini and all and she'd have shown her prior skills blah blah. But mostly look at the lost merchandising opportunity. :mad:

They shut down the ladies getting swole thread :( ?

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 9, 2016

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Pyrolocutus posted:

Look at these nerds calling Daisy Ridley a "twink".

https://www.instagram.com/p/6puNsxFE1e/

Maybe they mean in the MMO sense since she's given powerful magic items and power leveled when she's such a low level.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

grassy gnoll posted:

Prometheus was a perfectly good movie...
:siren:Troll spotted!!!!:siren:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Prometehus is basically like a GW movie

Very shiny, very pretty, rubs your nostalgia through your pants, rapidly spirals into random nonsense, has shrieking nerds who smoked pot when they shouldn't, and then you rocket to another gaming system

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Zark the Damned posted:

They make these which are kinda close to that size, but would hang of the edge of 40mm. Would probably fit on 50 or 60mm depending on the exact guy.

A lot of SD Gundam stuff would fit on a Dreadnought base.

There are capsule machine Gundams that you could squeeze onto a Terminator base.

http://www.gashapon.jp/gundam/PerfectCollection/

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

I continue to insist that an Aronofsky Star Wars would be amazing.

Or terrible. But, probably amazing.

Name one bad thing he's done. And if you say 'Noah' then we're no longer friends.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Ilor posted:

:siren:Troll spotted!!!!:siren:

No, really. Just because you hate the message doesn't meant it wasn't an artfully constructed film with a coherent message.

Now, getting irate because that message is "Ridley Scott thinks you're an rear end in a top hat for wanting another Alien film" is reasonable, but don't confuse it for being a poo poo film.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

fnordcircle posted:

Name one bad thing he's done. And if you say 'Noah' then we're no longer friends.

Can I just say the second half?

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

fnordcircle posted:

Noah was my favorite movie that whole year holy poo poo

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

wdarkk posted:

The Loto fits, if you don't mind them being tall:

Also you get two of them for like 20 bucks.

potentiallycool
Nov 7, 2011

Homie
Fallen Rib
Anyone else read this or are we too busy talking about Rey and gundam?
https://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/a707e928-b5f2-11e5-b147-e5e5bba42e51.html#axzz3whrl8fzM

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

potentiallycool posted:

Anyone else read this or are we too busy talking about Rey and gundam?
https://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/a707e928-b5f2-11e5-b147-e5e5bba42e51.html#axzz3whrl8fzM

Looks like you need an account to read the article, could you summarize to hopefully thwart this awful Star Wars derail?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Looks like you need an account to read the article, could you summarize to hopefully thwart this awful Star Wars derail?

GW stock is down 12% after they posted disappointing profits (but, like, not horrendous ones either), mostly because they sold less over christmas than they expected.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

boom boom boom posted:

We could talk about the new hit anime of 2016, Ojisan to Marshmallow

oh hell loving yes

Jonny Nox posted:

I am a very incorrect person.

do you have another link?

Bad Moon posted:

It's pretty good. 10 songs and about half of them are good and half forgettable but none overly bad.

Was it overall worth your money and time though? 'Cause I am thinking of picking it up if it doesn't all sound like Amy Whinehouse

Phoon posted:

Star trek sucks

Mostly.

Broken Loose posted:

Depends on the suit. In the original Mobile Suit Gundam, the Gundam was made out of lunar titanium which was a tremendously stronger material than what other MSes were made out of at the time. Suits prior to it were made out of alloys of steel. Robots in this storyline continued to be made out of titanium alloys for about 40 years in-universe until somebody made a ceramic composite that was cheaper but lighter (because beam weapons didn't care about how strong your armor was, but being faster allowed you to avoid them, and ballistic weapons had grown out of favor).

In Gundam Wing, the grunts were made out of a titanium alloy and the Gundams themselves were made out of a super alloy called Gundanium from which they got their name.

In Gundam Build Fighters, they're made of ABS plastic because they're literally model kits.

expertly done, thank you

Dr. Phildo posted:

All I'm hearing is the negligence of parents letting their dang kids crawl over rusty gundums. If not rusty, then there's still sharp bits. Don't jump off them into the lake, you'll just cut the heck out of your feet

Has anyone made the diorama of kids injuring themselves on rusty giant robots

You have shed a new horrifying light onto all dioramas and I can't be mad at you about it,.

Ashcans posted:

Regular Gundams are 1:144 scale, right? So you could use N scale train accessories. They would be a little small (N is around 1:160) but it wouldn't be too bad. If you use a bigger model you could also look at HO (1:87) or O (1:45) scale train stuff.

Here are a couple sites with N-scale stuff. There is actually a dizzying array of this stuff, including 'Kids having snowball fight' and 'people mooning passing train', so you can look around and really put together basically anything you like.

Stop tempting me sir. Actually no keep tempting me. Are there any militarty boats or planes that would also do about 1/100 or 1/144 scale? I am thinking of a scene of loading Mobile suits into such things. It makes me surprisingly happy.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

GW stock is down 12% after they posted disappointing profits (but, like, not horrendous ones either), mostly because they sold less over christmas than they expected.

Keep in mind the "over christmas" part involved the Betrayal of Calth boxset which I can't see not selling well. Age of Sigmar tanked them as Fantasy was never a huge loss to them.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
1:100 for larger planes is expensive (like, Games Workshop expensive) it seems. The only cargo plane I've found so far in 1:144 is also expensive, but you can get a cheap-ish 1:144 Air Force One.

Zark the Damned posted:

I don't think I could put that guy into a Jojo pose at all. 40mm base might be too small for real articulation.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

LordAba posted:

Keep in mind the "over christmas" part involved the Betrayal of Calth boxset which I can't see not selling well. Age of Sigmar tanked them as Fantasy was never a huge loss to them.

There's been a lot of debate about how well Calth actually sold. Did anyone actually buy it who didn't want a cheap 30k army? I'm not convinced that's enough, especially when I'm sure plenty of folks just use their 40k Marines for 30k. No one except for turbnonerds could even tell the difference anyway until you get to the weird dreadnoughts or whatever they are.

Even my FLGS billed Calth as "$$$$$$ of Forgeworld sculpts for the low low price of $$$!" which 1) is not strictly true, and 2) who cares in the first place?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Spiderdrake posted:

"No one in the death thread will ever not be trolled"

I present myself as counter evidence.

NTRabbit posted:

Guys seriously, DS9 had some of the best non-human characters of any Trek.

Granted being main cast where others were mostly alien of the week helped, especially compared to the horrible Voyager, but still; Kira, Dukat, Martok, Quark, Garak, Weyoun, Odo. So much to them, so well acted.

Hell yea. And human minorities too.

LingcodKilla posted:

If this thread is about anything it's about how it's ok to have different opinions.

A crowning achievement of this forum and of human society.

LingcodKilla posted:

Just like to point out calling people to grow up when arguing over Star Wars is.... Silly.

:agreed:

guts and bolts posted:

From I Am A loving Idiot, 2016©, by me, published by Random House

got an amazon link?

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

Rey, so-called Mary Sue, hit a black man in the face with a pole because a malevolent chirping soccer ball told her he was a thief.

But what was the black man wearing and doing? did the soccer ball and her have probably cause?

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

okay well in terms of the "metanarrative" the heroes of the movie went up against a more powerful enemy and ultimately prevailed, who would have loving thought

camera pans over Luke Skywalker's hand tumbling into a laundry chute in the Cloud City

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Pyrolocutus posted:

That was a magnificent thread and I feel sorry for the neckbeards that were so intimidated by it.

I mirror your sentiments.

jigokuman posted:

A lot of SD Gundam stuff would fit on a Dreadnought base.

There are capsule machine Gundams that you could squeeze onto a Terminator base.

http://www.gashapon.jp/gundam/PerfectCollection/

Stop trying to make me play 40k

wdarkk posted:

1:100 for larger planes is expensive (like, Games Workshop expensive) it seems. The only cargo plane I've found so far in 1:144 is also expensive, but you can get a cheap-ish 1:144 Air Force One.

I don't think I could put that guy into a Jojo pose at all. 40mm base might be too small for real articulation.

While I appreciate your warning and logic I really really want links to these things.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

wdarkk posted:

They're toys, not model kits, but I think Assault Kingdom figures would suit your needs nicely

They're two to three inches tall, fully articulated, ten bucks each. They even sell them at Barnes and Noble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

LordAba posted:

Age of Sigmar tanked them as Fantasy was never a huge loss to them.

Am I reading too much into what you're saying or does it actually seem that AoS has caused more damage than it would have done by simply blanking out Fantasy's part of the pie

'cause I could totally see that happening, like with former 40k players seeing which way the wind is blowing

(the wind is blowing directly out of the CEO's butt)

• Locked thread