Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Popular Thug Drink posted:

any raid would certainly turn violent, which is most of why people itt are calling for a raid - to demonstrate that law enforcement can and should be just as brutal against white criminals as black.

Prove it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i wasn't aware cliven bundy is criminally responsible for things that people did when they showed up at his ranch

Sorry, this is from a few pages ago, but holy poo poo do you even understand what the problem with the Bundy ranch standoff was, to begin with? :psyboom:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I doubt the militia members have gas masks. Why not just throw in a few canisters of sleeping gas or whatever and arrest them while they're passed out? You know, just like in the movies.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

enraged_camel posted:

I doubt the militia members have gas masks. Why not just throw in a few canisters of sleeping gas or whatever and arrest them while they're passed out? You know, just like in the movies.

This works out super well in real life

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Cool! Since there are no hostages in this scenario, I say we ask Russia for a few canisters of that gas and let it loose on the militia.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
They should just drop a gay bomb on them and let love win out.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The rare and mystical peaceful armed militia.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Ralepozozaxe posted:

They should just drop a gay bomb on them and let love win out.

People are already sending them condoms and lube; they'll get there on their own.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Turtle Sandbox posted:

The rare and mystical peaceful armed militia.

Just cause they're armed and have threatened to kill people doesn't mean they're not peaceful.

It's just like all those conservatives who have stockpiled on high powered guns and rifles . So that when Obama eventually does come to take them away, they're not gonna plan on using any said weapons on him or law enforcement or anything. They collected them so that they would be doing Obama a favor by having them all ready and organized when he takes them away.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!
You people keep arguing about whether we should suck their cocks or send them to Gitmo as if we can't do both.

Anyway, it turns out they have kids there with them so that complicates things.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

Just cause they're armed and have threatened to kill people doesn't mean they're not peaceful.

This is good... keep it coming.

General_Disturbed
Apr 7, 2005

Ride the 8=====D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELXMyTjMmXk

The community has formed a "Committe of Safety" and are trying to be really official about asking the militia to get the gently caress out. I just listened to a hick spend 10 minutes reading something on his notepad that started every single sentence with "Where as" It's live right now and the most amazing hick community theater I've ever seen.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

You people keep arguing about whether we should suck their cocks or send them to Gitmo as if we can't do both.

Yeah we can just ship them to the middle east and send PTD along as a comfort boy.

General_Disturbed posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELXMyTjMmXk

The community has formed a "Committe of Safety" and are trying to be really official about asking the militia to get the gently caress out. I just listened to a hick spend 10 minutes reading something on his notepad that started every single sentence with "Where as" It's live right now and the most amazing hick community theater I've ever seen.

This was posted earlier explaining it, but this "Committe of Safety" is some Sov Cit bullshit. One of the things mentioned by someone was that they feel they have the right to go and lynch the sherif if he "doesn't perform his duty". As in if he tries to not give them everything.

What I just heard on stream as I typed was something about using jury nullification to keep their people out of jail (with the assumption that everyone will be on their side). And are talking about explicitly using this to usurp local powers by moving from town to town doing this.

So it's like those FreeState people in New Hampshire.

Crain fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 9, 2016

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

showering has no effect on germs and is terrible for your skin. there is no good reason to do it
The feds making missteps now will only further increase the humiliation the militia members face when they finally give up.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
When Columbine happened, I remember being creeped out that the second most popular response was to fantasize about how one would have done the job better, the first being actual horror. Anyway, nobody has died yet so maybe that's why I feel completely comfortable fantasizing about taking over a Wildlife refuge myself. I don't know about the tactical part, but I have at least survived for days in the back country before while hiking. That takes a whole lot of planning that it seems these doofuses didn't even consider.

God I love this stupid drama so much.

ETA: So I bought Under the Banner... for my dad's birthday because he loved Into Thin Air and also because I wanted some neutral topic we could both get mad about together. He's a conservative of the conspiratorial kind and I, dissapointingly, am not. Well, he's been pro Bundy since the whole ranch incident, but I finally got confirmation from my mom that he's changed his mind since I let him know that these are the same ideologies of the fundie mormons. Yay, a win for me, and some ray of hope that my dad is still somewhat rational.

Bast Relief fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 9, 2016

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

As a Millennial I posted:

worthless, inedible birds

47000 acres of school land!

That's one bigass loving school.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Wouldn't that land just immediately be given to private ranchers and stripped bare? How is that "returning it to the public"?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Epic High Five posted:

Wouldn't that land just immediately be given to private ranchers and stripped bare? How is that "returning it to the public"?

Because "the public" means "me and my friends" to these guys. It's already as open and available to the public as land can be in this country.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
The sheriff has officially called off any future meetings with them, saying that they have refused to leave peacefully. Bundy is still telling the media that he is tired of being ignored. Something tells me that is about to change fairly quickly.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Gorilla Salad posted:

Everything is bigger in Oregon.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Internet Webguy posted:

The sheriff has officially called off any future meetings with them, saying that they have refused to leave peacefully. Bundy is still telling the media that he is tired of being ignored. Something tells me that is about to change fairly quickly.

Yessss :dance:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

the kids are probably guilty of something, i mean their dads are protesters and they're at a protest

Gorilla Salad posted:

back in the day frontier schools were established by setting aside some land and putting the proceeds when sold towards a school. typically it was one section (1 sq/mi) or 640 acres so yeah 47,000 is way excessive and an early example of 'think of the children'

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 9, 2016

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Kill the kids too, otherwise they will grow up and take revenge for their fathers' unjust treatment by the federal government.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Internet Webguy posted:

source?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Internet Webguy posted:

my guess is the fbi let the sheriff try talk them down and tell them the communty doesnt want them. it didnt work because the bundys and their friends are rear end in a top hat sovereign citizens with a paranoid victim complex and they want to be martyrs. so the US is probably gonna start cutting off the power.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
jfc

quote:

BURNS — Members of a group from outside Oregon arrived on Friday at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge to "secure a perimeter" around the compound and prevent "a Waco-style situation."

The arrival of the "3% of Idaho" was the latest development in the situation outside Burns, where an armed occupation of the refuge by an Ammon Bundy-led militant group entered its seventh day.

"They just keep an eye on everything that is going on" to make sure "nothing stupid happens," Bundy said Friday afternoon outside refuge headquarters.

"If they weren't here," Bundy said, referring to the Idaho group, "I'd worry" about a Waco-style siege by federal officials

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2016/01/oregon_standoff_idaho_militia.html

STOP. LETTING. PEOPLE. IN.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

they've already said the one thing they worry about (want most in the world) is a waco-style siege

in this case, the best way to defuse it is to refuse to acknowledge that they pose any kind of a threat. imagine a suicide bomber walking around in a deserted public square scratching his head in confusion, that's these dudes right now

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

they've already said the one thing they worry about (want most in the world) is a waco-style siege

in this case, the best way to defuse it is to refuse to acknowledge that they pose any kind of a threat. imagine a suicide bomber walking around in a deserted public square scratching his head in confusion, that's these dudes right now

yeah, obviously, that's why you have more armed groups showing up today to the "base place" a week after all this started.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I, for one, can't wait for one of these nutjobs to get all frothed up around all these radicalizing influences and go on a killing spree again. Sadly, like the mentally ill couple who murdered a bunch of people and draped Gadsden flags over the bodies and left behind a rambling sovcit letter, we'll never know why they did it

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Volkerball posted:

yeah, obviously, that's why you have more armed groups showing up today to the "base place" a week after all this started.

oh no, more angry dudes with beards might stand around glaring at each other in a snowy wasteland

i dont know how our nation can stand this pressure

maybe there's something wrong with me. i just don't find the idea of true patriots proclaiming "death to america" in a loud enough voice that they can barely be heard and the end of the gravel road to civilization all that much of an existential threat. i mean these dudes were angry at the federal government in the place they were before they came to this location, and now they're angry at this location, and i don't see much of a difference between the two locations

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Armed Group Refusing to Leave Oregon Wildlife Refuge: Sheriff

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Volkerball posted:

The more crazies congregate in one spot, the more we can get rid of in one fell swoop.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

oh no, more angry dudes with beards might stand around glaring at each other in a snowy wasteland

i dont know how our nation can stand this pressure

maybe there's something wrong with me. i just don't find the idea of true patriots proclaiming "death to america" in a loud enough voice that they can barely be heard and the end of the gravel road to civilization all that much of an existential threat. i mean these dudes were angry at the federal government in the place they were before they came to this location, and now they're angry at this location, and i don't see much of a difference between the two locations

try to focus. we agree that right wing militias with guns running around threatening people is bad, and we want less of that, right? you have claimed all along that a strategy of ignoring them and letting them do whatever they please, would be the best way of de-legitimizing the overall movement, and that they would leave once nothing happened, correct? a week later, they have not left, have no intention to leave, and other people with guns are showing up, so you are demonstrably false in everything you have said or claimed thus far. the current strategy is having a counter-productive effect, and is only further legitimizing right wing militias as an opponent to the federal government. that is the crux of this argument, not that they are an existential threat or w/e else.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Yup, let's just keep watching; they'll leave on their own. Annnnnnyyyyy day now.......

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Volkerball posted:

try to focus. we agree that right wing militias with guns running around threatening people is bad, and we want less of that, right? you have claimed all along that a strategy of ignoring them and letting them do whatever they please, would be the best way of de-legitimizing the overall movement, and that they would leave once nothing happened, correct? a week later, they have not left, have no intention to leave, and other people with guns are showing up, so you are demonstrably false in everything you have said or claimed thus far. the current strategy is having a counter-productive effect, and is only further legitimizing right wing militias as an opponent to the federal government. that is the crux of this argument, not that they are an existential threat or w/e else.

oh wow the dudes who worked up the gumption to occupy the least risky target havent left after a week, they must really mean it

the bottom line is that the next step in their plan is to have a dramatic standoff with the feds, but they're chickenshit enough to pick a remote and pointless target. if they really had stones they could have picked something that would have inconvenienced more people than the ranger who foils yogi bear. given their generally weak stance and the fact that they have practically no allies except other ptsd-ridden drama queens i dont know why anyone would choose to escalate the situation

i mean most people have criticized them, even cliven bundy has said that his own son's plan was dumb. so long as whatever they please constitues building a pillow fort in nowheresville i dont see how the theoretical rule of law is harmed by letting these militia guys yell at clouds for a national stage. i mean most cops would love for protesters to self-segregate to the remote free speech zone. have a little patience before you start crying about harm to the legitimacy of the federal government

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Can we just accelerate this dumb standoff to the part where one of them holds a gun to PTD's head and he assures us it's not a crime until they pull the trigger?

Ran Mad Dog
Aug 15, 2006
Algeapea and noodles - I will take your udon!
Preferably we can accelerate it to when the drone strikes happen and the terrorists are safely locked up in Gitmo forever and ever praise the good Lord Jesus, amen.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

oh wow the dudes who worked up the gumption to occupy the least risky target havent left after a week, they must really mean it

the bottom line is that the next step in their plan is to have a dramatic standoff with the feds, but they're chickenshit enough to pick a remote and pointless target. if they really had stones they could have picked something that would have inconvenienced more people than the ranger who foils yogi bear. given their generally weak stance and the fact that they have practically no allies except other ptsd-ridden drama queens i dont know why anyone would choose to escalate the situation

so they're super serious in their desire to have a shoot out with the feds, and any attempt to apprehend them will result in that due to the escalation, but also, they're drama queens and chickenshit. if they're drama queens and chickenshits, there's literally no reason not to go arrest them for the crimes they have committed just like what happens when you or i commit a crime. if they aren't drama queens and chickenshits, then this is an extremely serious situation, and it shouldn't be ignored and laughed at. of course, we all know they are drama queens and chickenshits, and that's why the former solution is the way to go.

quote:

i mean most people have criticized them, even cliven bundy has said that his own son's plan was dumb. so long as whatever they please constitues building a pillow fort in nowheresville i dont see how the theoretical rule of law is harmed by letting these militia guys yell at clouds for a national stage. i mean most cops would love for protesters to self-segregate to the remote free speech zone. have a little patience before you start crying about harm to the legitimacy of the federal government

it's never going to be a majority position, but you empower movements like bundy's to take rash action like this because there's no repercussions. or the repercussions roll out way after the fact when nobody is paying attention anymore, and the message has already been sent. sure maybe the bundy's didn't do it right, like ISIS says about al-qaeda, but the fact is that as a right wing militia, there are steps you can take against the federal government to take are country back, while armed and organized, and this indecision empowers that. it's not a stupid abstract concept of "legitimacy." it's teaching militants in the us that if they want to enforce change militarily, the us will change its schedule to account for you.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Volkerball posted:

so they're super serious in their desire to have a shoot out with the feds, and any attempt to apprehend them will result in that due to the escalation, but also, they're drama queens and chickenshit. if they're drama queens and chickenshits, there's literally no reason not to go arrest them for the crimes they have committed just like what happens when you or i commit a crime. if they aren't drama queens and chickenshits, then this is an extremely serious situation, and it shouldn't be ignored and laughed at. of course, we all know they are drama queens and chickenshits, and that's why the former solution is the way to go.

super secure people who are confident in themselves and their cause, who aren't going to freak out in a gentle breeze, don't hedge their bets by declaring a totally serious government occupation in the most remote and ignorable spot possible. it's not like they're occupying a federal armory or water pumping station, the place they're at is technically federal property but the long term strategic or even symbolic impact is ???

Volkerball posted:

it's never going to be a majority position, but you empower movements like bundy's to take rash action like this because there's no repercussions. or the repercussions roll out way after the fact when nobody is paying attention anymore, and the message has already been sent. sure maybe the bundy's didn't do it right, like ISIS says about al-qaeda, but the fact is that as a right wing militia, there are steps you can take against the federal government to take are country back, while armed and organized, and this indecision empowers that. it's not a stupid abstract concept of "legitimacy." it's teaching militants in the us that if they want to enforce change militarily, the us will change its schedule to account for you.

it's easy to say there's no repercussions but, if we look at historical precedent, there are repercussions. i mean it's pretty silly of you to say "there are no repercussions" when these dudes specifically cite trying to kick off another ruby ridge and all of the excellent pr that incident with complete lack of repercussions had

i agree the government was pretty soft at the bundy ranch standoff and afterwards but i hope you can agree that it's a bit premature to draw a new precedent from a single incident, while discarding previous incidents where multiple people were killed

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

it's easy to say there's no repercussions but, if we look at historical precedent, there are repercussions. i mean it's pretty silly of you to say "there are no repercussions" when these dudes specifically cite trying to kick off another ruby ridge and all of the excellent pr that incident with complete lack of repercussions had

i agree the government was pretty soft at the bundy ranch standoff and afterwards but i hope you can agree that it's a bit premature to draw a new precedent from a single incident, while discarding previous incidents where multiple people were killed

ruby ridge happened after they shot and killed a us marshal who was trying to apprehend a criminal who had skipped court, and then they retreated back to the cabin and continued the stand off. this is nothing like ruby ridge until they start shooting at cops. for this? there are no basically no repercussions. the same militia lead by the same men has done it twice.

• Locked thread