Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Anne Whateley posted:

You can pull the whole thing out of the pan, flip it over, and try to slowly pull the foil off the fudge instead of vice versa. It's still not going to be easy, but should be easier.

I guess it wasn't as stuck as I thought (after freezing it all day and still being pretty sticky) because I did this and it came off pretty easily.

Made it with chocolate, peanut butter and little caramel bits. drat tasty but I think I might need to get some powdered sugar or something to keep it from sticking to everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Steve Yun posted:

Anyone use industrial fry oil? Costco has huge 5 gallon jugs of this stuff with anti-oxidants like TBHQ. I was wondering how long I can use something like this. Will it last a year on the shelf?

It'll last a week in a commercial fryer, so at home, assuming you filter it after every use, a month at a time-ish? The oil itself is shelf stable for a solid year.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I have procured a whole duck.

I intend to smoke said duck, and have a recipe for Thanksgiving turkey brine that I would like to use on it but need to know if it would be any good for duck.

Please advise.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

It'll last a week in a commercial fryer, so at home, assuming you filter it after every use, a month at a time-ish? The oil itself is shelf stable for a solid year.

Awesome. I think if the oil can sit for a whole year I'll actually save money by buying one of the big 5 gallon containers, taking a gallon out at a time and just keeping that one "live" gallon in a separate container, filtering after each use, etc.

Costco has peanut and soy oil, is there any reason to stick with soy for all-purpose oil if peanut is almost the same price?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Do you want that peanut taste in everything for a year?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

Do you want that peanut taste in everything for a year?

Does peanut oil really taste that peanutty? It's been my go-to stir fry oil forever and I never noticed any flavor from it.

I also smoke like a drat chimney so maybe my subtle oil flavor opinions are invalid.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
To be honest I don't notice any peanut flavor

edit: hey, what's up fellow no tastebuds buddy

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I can always tell when something's been fried in peanut oil. It's not like a bad flavor, I just wouldn't want it added to everything I made with it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I would take peanut oil over soy bean oil 100% of the time. Soy oil is just so... greasy and unpleasant. Like cheap salad dressing.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Anne Whateley posted:

I can always tell when something's been fried in peanut oil. It's not like a bad flavor, I just wouldn't want it added to everything I made with it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It varies a lot from peanut oil to peanut oil. My local store-branded peanut oil is very neutral, almost but not quite as mild as canola. But many e.g. Chinese-made peanut oils are more `peanutty', even if they're not specifically marketed as flavoured oils (e.g. roasted peanut oil).

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I may be remembering this incorrectly, but I think peanut oil degrades faster than most commercial soybean oils.

Corporate has a deal with someone, and we use Mazola ZT Creamy partially hydrogenated soybean oil. It's pretty good at ~$40 for a 35lb jug.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

So is that a yes to my duck brine question?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

So is that a yes to my duck brine question?

Yeah, should be fine. Make sure you let your duck dry well on a rack for a few hours in your fridge first, help that pellicle form so smoke adheres well. Salt/brineing denature proteins a bit, so when the skin dries those proteins sort of come to the surface, and act somewhat like velcro for smoke.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Hey if you want bargains on copper ware, a lot of Mauviel has been showing up at TJ Maxx. $200 for a skillet! Half price!

Question: what the hell is this thing

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Wine chiller duh

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Why do you need that insert?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Why do you need that insert?

So the bottles don't clang together, I imagine.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Recommend me a food processor. I mainly make hummus, baba ganouj, salsa, etc.

I don't know what size I need, but there's only two of us.

Also, is there a kind of dish sponge that's just better than the rest?

Lawnie posted:

So the bottles don't clang together, I imagine.

Avoids water from the melting ice. No wet bottles.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 9, 2016

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Edit: if you're just making mushes, I guess you'll be fine with the cuisinart 9 cup, maybe even the 4 cup

Get two sponges, one that's blue and another one that's yellow/green. Use the blue one for everything. If there's something burnt on hard into steel, use the green one. Never use the green one on nonsticks or anything else that scratches easily.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jan 9, 2016

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

Avoids water from the melting ice. No wet bottles.

Doesn't look like it would do any good against that at all.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:

Steve Yun posted:

Edit: if you're just making mushes, I guess you'll be fine with the cuisinart 9 cup, maybe even the 4 cup

Get two sponges, one that's blue and another one that's yellow/green. Use the blue one for everything. If there's something burnt on hard into steel, use the green one. Never use the green one on nonsticks or anything else that scratches easily.

Really? I use green almost exclusively and I've been on the same $12 Teflon for about 2 years for my over easy eggs.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I have so much leftover spiral-cut ham in my fridge, and that's after freezing a ton. Please give me ideas to power through the rest.

I've already made all the permutations with eggs -- quiche, omelette, scrambled, breakfast sandwiches. I'm thinking more dinner thoughts, but I'm open to whatever.

It's all already cooked and I don't have the bone.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

spankmeister posted:

Doesn't look like it would do any good against that at all.

Cause you're supposed to use dry ice I thought this was pretty obvious.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Anne Whateley posted:

I have so much leftover spiral-cut ham in my fridge, and that's after freezing a ton. Please give me ideas to power through the rest.

I've already made all the permutations with eggs -- quiche, omelette, scrambled, breakfast sandwiches. I'm thinking more dinner thoughts, but I'm open to whatever.

Salad topped with ham and hardboiled egg. Oven Mac and Cheese with broccoli and ham bits. Ham Pannini. Hawaiian Pizza. Ham Pot Pie.

Pea soup. (just use chicken stock and bacon dripping and a jot of liquid smoke instead of ham stock, it tastes fine, no-one's gonna call the cops)

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 9, 2016

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Anne Whateley posted:

Use it as a seasoning for collard/mustard/turnip greens. Fold it into some mac n chz. Make pork fried rice. Minestrone soup.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Red beans and rice, mmmmm! http://www.gumbopages.com/food/red-beans.html. obvi you won't be staying true to the recipe, but you're ham will be just fine and it'll still be tastyaf.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Sorry, quick question about the waffle recipe from earlier.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Here is my quick waffle recipe. Not sure about calories, but it's not time consuming like yeast waffles (which are great, by the way).

2 eggs, beaten well
9 ounces all purpose flour (2 cups)
1 ¾ cup milk
½ cup vegetable oil
3 tbsp shite sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Bea the eggs, mix it with the other liquid. Whisk together the dry ingredients, then add the liquid and mix just until smooth. Waffle.

What is the purpose of the vegetable oil? Can I use less of that? Like maybe 1/3 or 1/4 cup instead of 1/2?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 10, 2016

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Suspect Bucket posted:

Pea soup. (just use chicken stock and bacon dripping and a jot of liquid smoke instead of ham stock, it tastes fine, no-one's gonna call the cops)

+1 for Split Pea and Ham Soup. poo poo is delicious, you can go pretty overboard with the ham. We can be controversial and discuss options for freezing a big batch of it if you want.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Anyone have an oxtail stew recipe they're particularly fond of? I've had about 2.5 lbs in my freezer for awhile now and need to cook it.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Sorry, quick question about the waffle recipe from earlier.

What is the purpose of the vegetable oil? Can I use less of that? Like maybe 1/3 or 1/4 cup instead of 1/2?

Fat shortens the length of glutamine. It's what makes pie dough flaky and whatnot. If you cut back on the oil your waffles will be drier, probably be denser, chalky, and less flavorful. Fat carries flavor, especially in baking.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

A sugar cookie recipe I was using had cream of tartar in it, and I somehow didn't notice and made the recipe completely without.

It has baking soda. Will it just be chewier than it would have been with cream of tartar?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Thanks, guys! I've done a lot of the topping-type stuff, but I really want to get through large amounts of this ham, not like 1/3 c at a time for the rest of my life.

Without the bone, how would I include it in pea soup? Just throw chunks in at the end?

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

Thanks, guys! I've done a lot of the topping-type stuff, but I really want to get through large amounts of this ham, not like 1/3 c at a time for the rest of my life.

Without the bone, how would I include it in pea soup? Just throw chunks in at the end?

Just add in after sauteeing of whatever veg, get a little color, then start your liquid and leave it in there on low while it's becoming soup. (Also check out the red beans and rice page, it might change your life.)

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-70740-8-Cup-Processor/dp/B00755KNCS/

or

http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-70730-Scraper-Processor/dp/B008J8MJIQ/

or something else?

I'm kind of concerned about them being too large, I wash hoping for something like a 4-6 cup. I don't have a lot of storage space.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000Y...dNGL&ref=plSrch

?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is that just a larger version of this? http://www.amazon.com/Conair-Cuisinart-DLC-2ABC-Processor-Brushed/dp/B0000645YM/

Some people were saying that it's more suited for prep work than "finished product", but I don't know how much I trust Amazon reviewers.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Here is another good soup that uses ham, though not a whole ton at a time. You could up it a bit I guess: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/237498/chef-johns-spanish-garlic-soup-sopa-de-ajo/

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

A sugar cookie recipe I was using had cream of tartar in it, and I somehow didn't notice and made the recipe completely without.

It has baking soda. Will it just be chewier than it would have been with cream of tartar?
baking powder is soda + tartar so unless you have another acid in there the cookies will taste odd and probably not have the levening desired.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Mr. Wookums posted:

baking powder is soda + tartar so unless you have another acid in there the cookies will taste odd and probably not have the levening desired.

drat! I was all out of lemon juice and zest, I was going to throw it in so that would have accidentally made things better.

They won't be, like, narsty or anything, will they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'd probably eat them but it'll depend on how picky the eaters are. I have accidentally used soda instead of powder in a 1:1 and those were terrible, but that's also a bigger mistake than yours since your recipe called for soda.