Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Schwarzwald posted:

It's just good casting to get a precognitive to play the part of the Jedi.

Alec Guiness wasn't precognitive, he was just that loving method.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Beeez posted:

He's Executive Producing the next one, at least.

I read this as "Executive Podracing" and got unreasonably excited

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Tots posted:

Is there a goon hive mind agreed upon watch order for the movies?

I recommend that someone who has never seen any of the movies to watch them in chronological order rather than release order. I believe that's also kind of what Lucas intended since I think I remember him saying that the edits to the OT were done so that they would look a little more updated when watched after the prequels; the differences wouldn't be hugely jarring.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Noam Chomsky posted:

Abrams isn't working on either of them.

Isn't he one of the major creators of the trilogy?

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Soggy Cereal posted:

There are actually certain things unresolved, to be revealed later. The Force Awakens is not a stand alone movie, and depends on you coming back for the next two movies. This is because movie series nowadays are extremely high budget TV shows (see: Avengers, Harry Potter.) I actually love this but I think I'm in the minority.

A New Hope would have also been this way if everyone knew that it would be a success and that there would be two more movies, because Star Wars is based on a serial or in other words a TV show. The circle is now complete.

When speculating about Snoke, keep in mind that there were several designs by the art team before this one, so resemblance to Plagueis, Vader, etc. is likely coincidental.
I personally hope that he and the Knights of Ren have nothing to do with the Sith other than admiration that they Got Stuff Done. Ideally Finn is not force sensitive, Rey is not _________'s daughter, and Snoke is not a legacy character. I like the story way better if Rey and Finn are just regular people and Snoke is a mysterious outsider.

This is a cool thing about The Force Awakens that I liked - there is actually a lot more acknowledgment of people other than the Jedi or Sith knowing about the Force. Lor San Tekka, Maz Kanata, and probably Snoke are all initiated in the mysteries but aren't Jedi. Finn is the first regular normal person we've seen picking up a lightsaber (Han doesn't count, he barely uses it, and not in combat.)

Also we've still not solved the riddle of whether or not the Jedi are supposed to be good, mostly good, mostly bad, or bad.

I feel like I am sometimes. The same with open world games - I love them but everyone else seems to hate them. I guess many prefer their media to be narrow in scope.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Red posted:

Isn't he one of the major creators of the trilogy?

He co-wrote and directed TFA. That's about all he's doing. He's moving on to other projects now. The guy who directed Looper is writing and directing the next movie and the guy who directed Jurassic World is directing the one after.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Tots posted:

Is there a goon hive mind agreed upon watch order for the movies?

4567. Don't watch the prequels.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Phylodox posted:

You're trying to disprove my statement, that I think Lucas failed to convey some of the things he wanted to in the prequels, by highlighting things I don't actually consider to be failings of the prequels. They are, at times, very visually impressive movies.

The story of a film is told through its visuals. As shown above, Lucas is using Forbidden Planet imagery to create the impression that something is wrong with this narrative. It fundamentally complicates and undermines the 'good versus evil' narrative that fans may want to apply.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Phylodox posted:

Alec Guiness wasn't precognitive, he was just that loving method.

All his reactions were in keeping with a guy reminiscing about a friendship gone horribly wrong. Its great that ANH fits pretty well even with everything else revealed.

"He was a good friend..." gently caress, then that happened

Beeez posted:

I think "No, she's the next, real Chosen One" would be a pretty lame payoff as well, to be honest.

Anakin was legitimately The Chosen One. While betraying and killing Palpatine, he suffered fatal wounds and destroyed the Sith.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Electromax posted:

This was probably posted already but I liked it. Nice blend of PT/OT footage and slightly cheesy music - "Obi-Wan remembers the truth."

https://youtu.be/hN74bOubUug

I know people say Lucas didn't have all this planned out in the OT but the way Obi-Wan pauses and looks around after Luke asks "How did my father die" is some nice foreshadowing.

edit, ah beaten. oh well

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

It's not that Lucas didn't have it planned, it's just he didn't have a single clear plan at that point. Basically, he took a while to make up his mind.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The story of a film is told through its visuals. As shown above, Lucas is using Forbidden Planet imagery to create the impression that something is wrong with this narrative. It fundamentally complicates and undermines the 'good versus evil' narrative that fans may want to apply.

Visuals are one aspect of a film. Character, dialogue, and acting are other aspects, ones which many people take issue with in the prequels.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

But the Sith are cartoonishly evil. It's pretty much a good v. evil narrative; it's just that the good guys come off as incompetent rather than morally ambiguous.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
When did we learn the title of Episode VII? Because I desperately want to know what VIII's title is going to be...

EDIT: The title was confirmed on November 6th, 2014 via the Star Wars official twitter as part of a tweet announcing the completion of principle photography.

EDIT: Which means we may see a title for Episode VIII as early as this April.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 9, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Finn isn't Force Sensitive: he's a Newtype. He'll get a Gundam next movie.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'd like to see Finn be force sensitive, but either not have the aptitude or not have the desire to become a "full" Jedi. The films have only really ever shown us the haves and the have-nots; I'd like to see varying degrees therein.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Okay, come the hell on. These two aren't even close. I do enjoy the comparing of shots between different movies that people have been doing in this thread, but this is dumb.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

Finn isn't Force Sensitive: he's a Newtype. He'll get a Gundam next movie.

Nah dude, Poe is the Newtype here.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Noam Chomsky posted:

But the Sith are cartoonishly evil. It's pretty much a good v. evil narrative; it's just that the good guys come off as incompetent rather than morally ambiguous.

That's misreading the film. The alien enemy in Forbidden Planet - literally a cartoon when it appears onscreen - was coming from within the whole time.

Nobody in Phantom Menace is incompetent, but they are blind to the source of the conflict. They repress the problem, because they are unable to deal with it.

Phylodox posted:

Visuals are one aspect of a film. Character, dialogue, and acting are other aspects, ones which many people take issue with in the prequels.

Characterization cannot and does not exist independently of sound and image. It is produced by those things. As I've repeatedly shown, there is nothing wrong with the dialogue or the acting.

You are unable to provide concrete examples because you know this is true.

MrSmokes posted:

Okay, come the hell on. These two aren't even close. I do enjoy the comparing of shots between different movies that people have been doing in this thread, but this is dumb.

I am not comparing the exact composition but the basic aesthetics/subject matter.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 9, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Noam Chomsky posted:

I feel like I am sometimes. The same with open world games - I love them but everyone else seems to hate them.

I'm pretty sure the best selling games this year were Grand Theft Auto and Fallout.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

computer parts posted:

I'm pretty sure the best selling games this year were Grand Theft Auto and Fallout.

I guess I should've clarified that game "journalists," youtubers, and a fairly vocal minority are "tired of them."

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Where did the whole "Rey might be related to Obi-Wan" dumbness that I keep hearing about come from? It's dumb because she couldn't be his daughter considering she was born long after he died. Hell, even being his granddaughter is stretching the time-frame a lot. And if we're stretching the "secret family" thing to that absurd degree then she might as well just be Luke's daughter instead of trying to make it a convoluted descendant thing.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Noam Chomsky posted:

I guess I should've clarified that game "journalists," youtubers, and a fairly vocal minority are "tired of them."

To be fair I think open-world is starting to get overdone a bit. Games which do it well are great, but then you get poo poo like DA:I which was semi-open world just because it's popular and it did it shittliy.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think the problem might be that you're paying attention to YouTubers and gaming journalists.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

That's misreading the film. The alien enemy in Forbidden Planet - literally a cartoon when it appears onscreen - was coming from within the whole time.

Nobody in Phantom Menace is incompetent, but they are blind to the source of the conflict. They repress the problem, because they are unable to deal with it.

Characterization cannot and does not exist independently of sound and image. It is produced by those things. As I've repeatedly shown, there is nothing wrong with the dialogue or the acting.

I am comparing the composition but the basic aesthetics/subject matter.

But the Sith are represented as cartoonishly evil - red eyes, deformed appearance, child murderers, etc. They're not represented as a just an opposing force with different ideals; they're represented as straight up evil. I wish they weren't; it would've been more compelling.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Raxivace posted:

I think the problem might be that you're paying attention to YouTubers and gaming journalists.

True. I can't quite figure out how folks who play games for a living have such bad taste in games and are generally bad at games.

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.

I think I may have missed some of your earlier discussion of the prequels, but would you say that people's resistance to these movies is due to it not fitting their constructed idea of the Jedi / Sith / Anakin / Source of the conflict etc? That fans of the original trilogy had already created this model of how the Star Wars universe "worked" and that George Lucas' canonical view of it undermined it, thereby causing them to reject it?

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu9dUG3_KNA

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Noam Chomsky posted:

True. I can't quite figure out how folks who play games for a living have such bad taste in games and are generally bad at games.

As far as taste goes, I think a large part of the problem has been that a lot of video game people (Heavy gamers, critics, developers etc.) just don't have much of a frame of reference for anything outside of video games. Sometimes it feels extremely insular to me.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MrSmokes posted:

I don't think you can seriously argue that Star Wars didn't draw heavily from the aesthetics of Forbidden Planet.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Raxivace posted:

As far as taste goes, I think a large part of the problem has been that a lot of video game people (Heavy gamers, critics, developers etc.) just don't have much of a frame of reference for anything outside of video games. Sometimes it feels extremely insular to me.

I think that's likely.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

You've repeatedly shown how various aspects of the prequels fit into your personal interpretation of the films. This doesn't make you inherently correct, or inherently disprove anyone else's interpretation.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Phylodox posted:

You've repeatedly shown how various aspects of the prequels fit into your personal interpretation of the films. This doesn't make you inherently correct, or inherently disprove anyone else's interpretation.

Don't feed trolls

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Wookie Bouquet posted:

I think I may have missed some of your earlier discussion of the prequels, but would you say that people's resistance to these movies is due to it not fitting their constructed idea of the Jedi / Sith / Anakin / Source of the conflict etc? That fans of the original trilogy had already created this model of how the Star Wars universe "worked" and that George Lucas' canonical view of it undermined it, thereby causing them to reject it?

It's more that fans had misunderstood the Star Wars films from the very beginning, and Lucas used the prequels to underline the vital parts of the OT that fans ignore.

For example, the point of A New Hope is that Han is right: the Force - as described by Obiwan - is bullshit. That's the whole point of having Obiwan die: the Jedi can't win. Their role in the universe is to inspire people and then fade away. So: “hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.” Lucas proves this point when he has Obiwan kill Grievous with a blaster - out of desperation, because he lost against a cyborg who wasn't even 'force sensitive'.

Phylodox posted:

Actually, my stronger stance does disprove your unsupported assertions.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 9, 2016

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Actually, my stronger stance does disprove your unsupported assertions.

I don't even remember your stance, so I'll have to take your word on it.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I've listened to the DVD commentaries for the SW films and Lucas' interpretation of them is far far different than SMGs.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Red posted:

Actually: It's a base that houses a superweapon.

Personally, I don't care for bubble comedy.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Soggy Cereal posted:

There are actually certain things unresolved, to be revealed later. The Force Awakens is not a stand alone movie, and depends on you coming back for the next two movies. This is because movie series nowadays are extremely high budget TV shows (see: Avengers, Harry Potter.) I actually love this but I think I'm in the minority.

A New Hope would have also been this way if everyone knew that it would be a success and that there would be two more movies, because Star Wars is based on a serial or in other words a TV show. The circle is now complete.

On the other hand Phantom Menace is fairly self contained- there's a lot of foreshadowing but the main conflict (or at least what seems like the main conflict) has been resolved by the end of the movie.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Shbobdb posted:

Personally, I don't care for bubble comedy.

But the kids love it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Phylodox posted:

You're trying to disprove my statement, that I think Lucas failed to convey some of the things he wanted to in the prequels, by highlighting things I don't actually consider to be failings of the prequels. They are, at times, very visually impressive movies.

It's additionally befuddling because you'll find few people in this thread that will claim that the PT had zero nice shots. The issue comes from the fact that films are to be watched and heard, not screenshotted, and it is in this action that many viewers find the PT wanting.

A general consensus that many critiques come to is "George Lucas is great at visually distinctive shots, but bad at writing dialogue, encouraging actors, and providing an engagung plot, all drawbacks that he can manage when reigned in, which he was not for the PT". Showing a nice shot of a room means little if the actual scene in that room involves two uninspired talk-shots, "sounded clever on paper" dialogue, and practically mechanical execution of "talk, sit at thing, talk, move to window to desperately inject visual creativity, talk" during at -least- a sixth of the total runtime of the three films.

Obviously this is all personal opinion, and you will of course find aspects objectable. This does not make it any less correct or incorrect. The subjectivity of art is a feature, not a bug or theory or myth.

There's a lot of interesting stuff about all 7 SW movies to talk about, which is why it's so lame when any group starts getting catty towards other interpretations or opinions.

• Locked thread