Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Neat, I'll use it in some low risk bounties until I can get an adder for rare trading to buy a good hauler and a good shooter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

tooterfish posted:

I'm assuming he means he got one of the mk IVs given away to new pilots.

In which case it's more of a combat leaning multi role ship, and makes a pretty decent long range rare trader/hauler/smuggler. It's about on par with a Cobra mk III, except its internals work out ever so slightly smaller, and it's also slower and (inexplicably) less manoeuvrable. It makes up for these things by being 50% more expensive! (it does have much better shields though)

Assuming you can't sell it and just buy a Cobra, I'd use it in the same role.

edit: I should type faster.

It's worse than a Cobra III in several ways but it's got better shields/more armor so it's tougher. I'd call both ships roughly equal, with the Viper IV being better at combat and the Cobra III being better at cargo hauling. Both are superb multirole ships.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Spanish Manlove posted:

Neat, I'll use it in some low risk bounties until I can get an adder for rare trading to buy a good hauler and a good shooter.

The Viper Mk. IV is an acceptable rare trader and much better than an Adder. The Cobra has a slightly higher cargo capacity, speed and jump range but weaker shields and hull - I'd argue that the Cobra is broadly speaking a better ship but not by much and if you want to fight I'd recommend a Diamondback Scout as the next ship up from the Viper Mk IV.

Why they made the new model of a fighter ship into a worse fighter with tons of extra cargo space :iiam:

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 9, 2016

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

RabidWeasel posted:

Viper IV is an acceptable rare trader and much better than an Adder.

Why they made the new model of a fighter ship into a worse fighter with tons of extra cargo space :iiam:

Yeah, the Viper of all things. That's like turning a Dodge Charger into a minivan.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

RabidWeasel posted:

Viper IV is an acceptable rare trader and much better than an Adder.

I just had to make 60LY of jumps to pick it up and yeah that's a decent cargo hold and I think I'll give rare trading a try for a bit. Do I have to do the one in the OP or can I just plug in my location into the website in the op and do that until I'm bored and can outfit my freebie ship a little better?

Aside from fuel scoops, power plants, and FSD are there any upgrades I should prioritize?

Edit: the viper obviously needs a good FSD because I can barely leave the loving sector I found it in.
2nd Edit: Yeah I'm sorry I don't like it, Im going back to the sidewinder because that viper sucks rear end when stock.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 9, 2016

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Is it worth selling the viper iv for a cobra iii for a new player who doesn't plan on doing much combat yet?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

RabidWeasel posted:

The Viper Mk. IV is an acceptable rare trader and much better than an Adder. The Cobra has a slightly higher cargo capacity, speed and jump range but weaker shields and hull - I'd argue that the Cobra is broadly speaking a better ship but not by much and if you want to fight I'd recommend a Diamondback Scout as the next ship up from the Viper Mk IV.

Because it trades speed for armor and power. It can run a variety of weapon configs pretty reliably so you can figure out what style of weapons you like best. Having flown both the Cobra 3 and the Viper 4 a lot (a classed,) they're roughly equal with each other, just that the viper is slightly better at combat (stronger shields) and the cobra is slightly better at hauling/smuggling.

Hexenritter posted:

Yeah, the Viper of all things. That's like turning a Dodge Charger into a minivan.
Due to how internals work, pretty much any ship in the game can be turned into a minivan. Even if it isn't a good idea to do so :v:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Sure, if you would rather trade then going for the cobra makes more sense.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Jesus, I just got my rear end kicked by an NPC. Went to a hazardous RES to try to do some hunting and spotted a Federal Gunship in a wing with 2 explorer Asps. Figure, hey, I'll take out that Gunship quickly and then kill the asps. Well, the Gunship took about 3x as long to kill as it should have and the asps just kept pounding on me. Finally turned on the Asps and realized they were almost through my shields again so popped another cell and they collapsed them just as it got online. Well poo poo, started taking a bit of damage but just thought I'd jump to the close by star base to repair up. Spooled up frame shift and just as it was about to jump, mass lock. I was going towards the belt (couldn't see it, it was in a system with a ring gap and it was dark). I start to hear the windscreen cracking and notice I'm down to 50%. poo poo, I'd better jump to a system. Panic, pic any system and JUST as the frame shift gets to the last bar to jump, killed.

$3,000,000 rebuy for my Python :(

Oh well, that's my story.

Hey, what's the trading route tool to use nowdays? Need to do some trucking.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION

A Tartan Tory posted:

Center

Far side

Middle

:D

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
So I feel like I'm missing something crucial. Any time an enemy gets a bead on me at all, it's a death sentence. No matter whether I was flying an Eagle or my new Viper, it just means I'm screwed and I'm going to die sooner or later (probably sooner). Is the answer really just don't get shot in the first place? What am I doing wrong?

Even when I was flying in a wing, I got attacked by one guy and couldn't shake him at all. It sucks. :(

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

CascadeBeta posted:

So I feel like I'm missing something crucial. Any time an enemy gets a bead on me at all, it's a death sentence. No matter whether I was flying an Eagle or my new Viper, it just means I'm screwed and I'm going to die sooner or later (probably sooner). Is the answer really just don't get shot in the first place? What am I doing wrong?

Even when I was flying in a wing, I got attacked by one guy and couldn't shake him at all. It sucks. :(

Are you flying at 100% throttle all the time? This is something I realized was more widespread than expected after seeing people review the pre-buff FDL, but keeping your speed at max is not a good idea in a dogfight. By keeping it at around 40-60% will put you in the "blue zone" (helpfully indicated as a blue section of the throttle) and significantly boosts your agility. Stick to this, and try to save your boosts for when your opponent does them as well. Keeping to this approach should let any small ship butthug effectively.

It's important because besides losing agility, going fast all the time also invariably turns into a jousting battle- especially versus the Anaconda- and in that situation the smaller ship is boned without fancy lateral thrusting.

Sard fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 9, 2016

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

The Viper IV isn't particularly agile anyway, it needs to stay a bit further away from things to not get out-turned.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

slidebite posted:

Jesus, I just got my rear end kicked by an NPC. Went to a hazardous RES to try to do some hunting and spotted a Federal Gunship in a wing with 2 explorer Asps. Figure, hey, I'll take out that Gunship quickly and then kill the asps. Well, the Gunship took about 3x as long to kill as it should have and the asps just kept pounding on me. Finally turned on the Asps and realized they were almost through my shields again so popped another cell and they collapsed them just as it got online. Well poo poo, started taking a bit of damage but just thought I'd jump to the close by star base to repair up. Spooled up frame shift and just as it was about to jump, mass lock. I was going towards the belt (couldn't see it, it was in a system with a ring gap and it was dark). I start to hear the windscreen cracking and notice I'm down to 50%. poo poo, I'd better jump to a system. Panic, pic any system and JUST as the frame shift gets to the last bar to jump, killed.

$3,000,000 rebuy for my Python :(

Oh well, that's my story.

Hey, what's the trading route tool to use nowdays? Need to do some trucking.

I had a similar HazRES experience a few days ago in my Vulture. I put everything in ENG, boosted away at a consistently >350m/s speed while my hull got peeled down to about 15% and managed to save myself 1.6 mil. Those hazardous RESes are not loving around.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I always stay away from wings in hazres. The gunship + 2 diamondbacks is particularly annoying.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So I decided to try my hand at a rares trading route, and went for the Rajukru diamond route (extended). I guess it's decent money per hour, but it's sure not something I could do for a long time.

I got the Cobra tuned to where I have 36t of cargo, and enough fuel that on the longest leg, Altair -> Rajukru, I land in Rajukru with 3% fuel left. It was a bit worrisome on the first run after re-configuring to maximize speed and losing the emergency fuel scoop. There was only a single pixel of fuel left on the bar pre-jump.

One leg of this route could really stand to have about another 10-16 tons of cargo when the availability is generous at a couple stations in a row, but it looks like the next ship after the Cobra that could make the jumps on that long leg, with more cargo (68 tons of cargo configured to make this run) is the Keelback. How is the Keelback as a ship in general to replace the Cobra III? Looks like it's agility is complete poo poo, and it's a 'medium' instead of small.

Cheaper option would be a Type-6, which could carry 84 tons with plenty of range left over on the longest trip leg, but is probably pretty defenseless when it gets interdicted (I seem to get interdicted at least once every loop), and I doubt it it agile enough to evade the interdiction like I can do most of the time in the Cobra III.

Better option would be a nice Asp Explorer, but newbie me can't afford that (the 5A FSD alone is 5.1 million, on top of the 6.1 million hull cost).

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Sard posted:

Are you flying at 100% throttle all the time? This is something I realized was more widespread than expected after seeing people review the pre-buff FDL, but keeping your speed at max is not a good idea in a dogfight. By keeping it at around 40-60% will put you in the "blue zone" (helpfully indicated as a blue section of the throttle) and significantly boosts your agility. Stick to this, and try to save your boosts for when your opponent does them as well. Keeping to this approach should let any small ship butthug effectively.

It's important because besides losing agility, going fast all the time also invariably turns into a jousting battle- especially versus the Anaconda- and in that situation the smaller ship is boned without fancy lateral thrusting.

I mean I shift between 100% and the blue zone, as needed. It doesn't seem to matter how well I maneuver, because even if I'm hiding behind asteroids, I'm still somehow getting shot.

Edit: When I hit boost nothing happens.

CascadeBeta fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 9, 2016

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Ok, so why does my galaxy map say I have a Viper MKIV somewhere where I've never been?

Spanish Manlove posted:

I discovered I own a viper, would it be useful as baby's first actual spaceship?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk776aMkgas

Thanks to some judicious copyediting by DarthBlingBling this also ended up on actual GalNet:

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I notice one way to take out wings in Hazres.

Wait until they start shooting something. As long as something else has their attention, they can't all focus on you.

Take out the weaker enemies first, obviously. Then go for the big boy. If you shoot one of them and then you get 3 messages, you better get out of there. You just made them angry and want to kill you.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

The Locator posted:

So I decided to try my hand at a rares trading route, and went for the Rajukru diamond route (extended). I guess it's decent money per hour, but it's sure not something I could do for a long time.

I got the Cobra tuned to where I have 36t of cargo, and enough fuel that on the longest leg, Altair -> Rajukru, I land in Rajukru with 3% fuel left. It was a bit worrisome on the first run after re-configuring to maximize speed and losing the emergency fuel scoop. There was only a single pixel of fuel left on the bar pre-jump.

One leg of this route could really stand to have about another 10-16 tons of cargo when the availability is generous at a couple stations in a row, but it looks like the next ship after the Cobra that could make the jumps on that long leg, with more cargo (68 tons of cargo configured to make this run) is the Keelback. How is the Keelback as a ship in general to replace the Cobra III? Looks like it's agility is complete poo poo, and it's a 'medium' instead of small.

Cheaper option would be a Type-6, which could carry 84 tons with plenty of range left over on the longest trip leg, but is probably pretty defenseless when it gets interdicted (I seem to get interdicted at least once every loop), and I doubt it it agile enough to evade the interdiction like I can do most of the time in the Cobra III.

Better option would be a nice Asp Explorer, but newbie me can't afford that (the 5A FSD alone is 5.1 million, on top of the 6.1 million hull cost).

How much are you making on these runs? I might try my hand at a little space trucking now that I actually have some cargo space.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

CascadeBeta posted:

I mean I shift between 100% and the blue zone, as needed. It doesn't seem to matter how well I maneuver, because even if I'm hiding behind asteroids, I'm still somehow getting shot.

Edit: When I hit boost nothing happens.

What are you flying and how is it outfit? No boost sounds like an undersized distributor.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

How much are you making on these runs? I might try my hand at a little space trucking now that I actually have some cargo space.

You buy rares for something like 600-1200cr, and you sell them for 15-16k cr. The money is ok, but I think I made more in normal res sites sniping the cops kills. I mostly just wanted to give it a try.

Figure that a full circle will make 800k-900k profit maybe? I haven't kept super close track, but the last load I just sold was about 500k (full cargo - 36 tons). You could make slightly more with more cargo, but I've only been short about 2-8 tons per circle and only at Altair where it's the third pickup. If you wanted to idle in station or do board refresh games you could pick up a lot more per circle if you had the space.

The thing is, some of the stations are a long trek from where you pop in by the sun, so you spend a good chunk of time flying (the farthest station is like 2600ls from the star).

With a 22ly jump range, the route is (jumps from memory, might be off slightly):

39 Tauri -> George Pantazis - 28 ly, 2 jumps. Buy stuff.
George Pantazis -> Altair - 29 ly, 2 jumps. Buy stuff.
Altair -> Rajukru - 169ly - 9 jumps. Sell everything from 3 prior stations. Buy stuff.
Rajukru -> HIP 80364 - 50ly - 3 jumps. Fly 900ls to station, get interdicted almost every time. Buy stuff.
HIP 80364 -> 39 Tauri - 160ly, 10 jumps. Fly 2600ls to station, Sell everything from prior two stations, go to beginning.

Here is the url to the route someone posted on one of these threads - http://i.imgur.com/SVpPHrv.jpg

I think jumps average 1 minute each, so except for the two long routes, far more time is spent in super-cruise and docking than in jumping (I think). I'm bad at keeping track of time when I'm doing game stuff.

None of the rares on the route are illegal, so don't have to worry about space-cop scanning.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

The Locator posted:

You buy rares for something like 600-1200cr, and you sell them for 15-16k cr. The money is ok, but I think I made more in normal res sites sniping the cops kills. I mostly just wanted to give it a try.

Figure that a full circle will make 800k-900k profit maybe? I haven't kept super close track, but the last load I just sold was about 500k (full cargo - 36 tons). You could make slightly more with more cargo, but I've only been short about 2-8 tons per circle and only at Altair where it's the third pickup. If you wanted to idle in station or do board refresh games you could pick up a lot more per circle if you had the space.

The thing is, some of the stations are a long trek from where you pop in by the sun, so you spend a good chunk of time flying (the farthest station is like 2600ls from the star).

With a 22ly jump range, the route is (jumps from memory, might be off slightly):

39 Tauri -> George Pantazis - 28 ly, 2 jumps. Buy stuff.
George Pantazis -> Altair - 29 ly, 2 jumps. Buy stuff.
Altair -> Rajukru - 169ly - 9 jumps. Sell everything from 3 prior stations. Buy stuff.
Rajukru -> HIP 80364 - 50ly - 3 jumps. Fly 900ls to station, get interdicted almost every time. Buy stuff.
HIP 80364 -> 39 Tauri - 160ly, 10 jumps. Fly 2600ls to station, Sell everything from prior two stations, go to beginning.

Here is the url to the route someone posted on one of these threads - http://i.imgur.com/SVpPHrv.jpg

I think jumps average 1 minute each, so except for the two long routes, far more time is spent in super-cruise and docking than in jumping (I think). I'm bad at keeping track of time when I'm doing game stuff.

None of the rares on the route are illegal, so don't have to worry about space-cop scanning.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I've actually been making most of my money doing dumb SRV stuff (escape pods mostly), but it's pretty time inefficient and dependent on the right missions showing up on the boards.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Spanish Manlove posted:

What happens when start heading towards the far rim of the galaxy? Also in the center of the galaxy?
When you get to the core, you start to see THE DOT.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
For the Goons doing rare trade runs, how much cargo are you usually fitting for? Would 20 tons be enough?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Thronde posted:

For the Goons doing rare trade runs, how much cargo are you usually fitting for? Would 20 tons be enough?
That's a good spot to be starting from, and it shouldn't take too long to be able to afford more once you get a few runs in.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Thronde posted:

You don't get much more than about 16T per station so it usually tops out at around 50T or so of cargo.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

WebDog posted:

You don't get much more than about 16T per station so it usually tops out at around 50T or so of cargo.

What I thought. You don't sell at each stop what you picked up at the one before? Like Altair > Rakuju I would sell the Altair stuff, pick up Rakuju stuff, go to HIP ad repeat

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Thronde posted:

What I thought. You don't sell at each stop what you picked up at the one before? Like Altair > Rakuju I would sell the Altair stuff, pick up Rakuju stuff, go to HIP ad repeat

exactly 16t per stop max, you need to carry about 50t for the full run

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

TheresaJayne posted:

exactly 16t per stop max, you need to carry about 50t for the full run

Because I'm dumb and tired and confused.

If I go to Altair, buy 16T, jump to Rakuju, sell 16t and buy 16t there, so on and so forth, why would I need more than 16t for a run? Or should I be holding on to stuff.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Thronde posted:

Because I'm dumb and tired and confused.

If I go to Altair, buy 16T, jump to Rakuju, sell 16t and buy 16t there, so on and so forth, why would I need more than 16t for a run? Or should I be holding on to stuff.

Your Route is A-B-C-D. To get the most benefit out of it you want to take them long distance. So you buy at A. Buy at B. Sell A at C and buy C, etc. You may not always exchange your full cargo at any given stop. Eventually you loop around and sell C at A, D at B and so on.

I think. :v:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Rares are worth more the further from their origin system they are, you want to take them at least 160LY before selling.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Ah, I knew they were worth more, but they don't make much in gains past 160ly. I didn't know about the route sell patterns. Makes more sense. Thanks Goons!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

Thanks! That saves me 100 hours of countless 7ly jumps in my little lovely sidewinder.

Actually, you saved infinite hours, since 7 ly jump range doesn't get you to farside and many other places. You could try travelling to the center, the stars are closer together the closer you get to the center. (No don't do that in a Sidewinder)

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Some dude on the official boards got to one of the edges in a sidey, but it had an upgraded FSD

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I am on just regular elite dangeroud at the moment because it was 9 quid on steam.

Is the best way to earn money early on taking on bullieten board missions and also hanging around resource extraction sites, swooping in on anacondas that have been weakened by the local LEO? Just regular trading in my Cobra III only gives me chump change. Would it be a good idea to save for a cargo ship to do trade runs in as a second ship?

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Falken posted:

I am on just regular elite dangeroud at the moment because it was 9 quid on steam.

Is the best way to earn money early on taking on bullieten board missions and also hanging around resource extraction sites, swooping in on anacondas that have been weakened by the local LEO? Just regular trading in my Cobra III only gives me chump change. Would it be a good idea to save for a cargo ship to do trade runs in as a second ship?

I've made money by finding wreckage sites, scooping up (stolen) goods and selling them on the black market. The only good money I've seen on Bulletins (so far) have been multi-step missions. Which are simple but kinda time consuming.

You can make fast money on bounties at Res sites.

From what I gather, the cobra is a perfectly fine ship for trading. You should have a spare slot for another cargo component. Switch out other components for lighter weight and upgrade your engine/FSD to really push how far you can jump.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

How do I get in on this action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I imagine you point yourself "up" out of the galaxy, activate FSD, then walk away from your computer for a couple hours.

fake edit: I have no idea, but that's pretty freakin' awesome.

• Locked thread