Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Chikimiki posted:

Just dropped my good old 1st gen Moto X on the pavement, and now the screen is fubar: black spots everywhere, can't read a drat thing anymore on the screen :( So I was looking for a replacement, and since I'm cheap, in Europe, and a "pure" android fanboy, Motorola remains my goto brand (Sony and Nexus prices are ridiculous, might aswell buy an iPhone for those prices).

Now I have a hard time deciding between several models:

3rd gen Moto G:
+ cheap and durable (ipx7)
- slow processor and a - reportedely - weak camera

2nd gen Moto X
+ good processor, amoled screen and okay camera
- previous gen, fragile, and low battery life

Moto X Play:
+ good chipset, okay camera
- expensive, design is meh, and the ip rating is "only" ip57

Plus, I learned that Lenovo is launching a Moto G Turbo that is even more durable (ip67), has a Snapdragon 615, and fast charging, but is only sold in India and Mexico with no word on international availability.

Soooooo am I reading too much into the ip rating and the chipset? Would a Moto G be an upgrade to my old Moto X, or should I splurge on the Play, or import a weird phone from India? Or maybe look at another brand?

Thanks in advance android thread!

I've got the Moto X Play and my girlfriend has the moto g so I'll give a little writeup..

The Moto G is a fantastic device for the money, for the price it really is unbeatable but do take into account the main model people buy is 8GB, that size will cause you nothing but headaches and once you go up to the 16GB size the price is very close the medium spec phones. Where it falls down is games. They will lag and run at low frame rate but that's only an issue if you play games. It's camera is decent and the screen while only 720p is vibrant and good enough.

The moto x play is a medium spec phone. It's not lighting quick but it is fast enough to play hearthstone with pretty much no lag for a rough gauge of its power. Its got a better screen than the moto g and its it's 5.5 inches but where it really excels is the battery. The battery life is AMAZING. It sells itself as 'lasting 2 days' and it's not lying. However it's not a perfect phone. My main 2 complaints are, its got turbo charging but the phone comes with a standard charger, so you have to buy another charger to use that feature and you want that feature. Charging that 3700 battery normally takes a long time, 4+ hours, charging with turbo charger is just over an hour. And my second complaint is the power and volume buttons, they are really lose and feel cheap, bringing the overall build quality down, however if you are sticking this phone in a case (like I have) this won't be an issue but it's something to consider if you rock naked (or want the official flip case that doesn't cover the buttons) because they really are bad.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

ilkhan posted:

There aren't nano-sim, waterproof, USB-type C, sub $200 phones out yet, right?

I'm thinking I don't really want to take my $500 6P out on runs with me. drat expensive phone worries.

LastInLine posted:

You'd still have to bring your phone along unless I'm missing something.

withoutclass posted:

I think the Moto 360 Sport is the only one that has both GPS and offline music storage.

The Sony Smartwatch 3 also has both GPS and offline music storage. Join us over in the Android Wear thread if you have any questions!

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

The difference between those IP ratings (57 v 67) is the devices' resistance to dust infiltration. With screens typically being sealed, that means the dust is not going to affect usability of the phone - the "5" in 57 means it lets dust in but not enough to impair any usage, and the "6" in "67" means it's dust-proof. The "7" means it can be dumped into 3 ft of water for 30 mins and not sufffer function loss. "Durability" (impact resilience) isn't measured in IP rating anymore, and hasn't been for like a decade.

Okay so no big difference between both certifications, and it's only dust- and waterproof. Still, nice to have anyways.

Mega Comrade posted:

I've got the Moto X Play and my girlfriend has the moto g so I'll give a little writeup..

The Moto G is a fantastic device for the money, for the price it really is unbeatable but do take into account the main model people buy is 8GB, that size will cause you nothing but headaches and once you go up to the 16GB size the price is very close the medium spec phones. Where it falls down is games. They will lag and run at low frame rate but that's only an issue if you play games. It's camera is decent and the screen while only 720p is vibrant and good enough.

The moto x play is a medium spec phone. It's not lighting quick but it is fast enough to play hearthstone with pretty much no lag for a rough gauge of its power. Its got a better screen than the moto g and its it's 5.5 inches but where it really excels is the battery. The battery life is AMAZING. It sells itself as 'lasting 2 days' and it's not lying. However it's not a perfect phone. My main 2 complaints are, its got turbo charging but the phone comes with a standard charger, so you have to buy another charger to use that feature and you want that feature. Charging that 3700 battery normally takes a long time, 4+ hours, charging with turbo charger is just over an hour. And my second complaint is the power and volume buttons, they are really lose and feel cheap, bringing the overall build quality down, however if you are sticking this phone in a case (like I have) this won't be an issue but it's something to consider if you rock naked (or want the official flip case that doesn't cover the buttons) because they really are bad.

Thanks for the writeup! I don't play that much anymore, but it's still nice to have the possibility for a quick Hitman GO or to fire up XCOM. The Play seems like the better choice for me, especially with 2 day battery life, but it's a shame about the build quality - one of the things I liked about my old Moto X. What I liked about the Moto G Turbo is that it has the same chipset as the Play, but with added waterproofing, and a lower pricepoint. Oh well, maybe I'll just wait a bit until there is a deal on the Play, and get it with a good case :)

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
I'm having headphone jack issues with my Moto X Style (Pure in the US), which I bought a month ago.

When the headphone plug moves a little bit, the music will distort or even stop completely (also sometimes launch Moto Voice for some reason?). I'm sure this is a port problem since i'm trying different headphones, i'm just wondering if this is a common issue :( I guess I'll have to send it in but I wonder if this won't be happening again within a month...

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

ilkhan posted:

There aren't nano-sim, waterproof, USB-type C, sub $200 phones out yet, right?

I'm thinking I don't really want to take my $500 6P out on runs with me. drat expensive phone worries.

I put my N6 in a zip lock bag before it goes in the arm band so it doesn't get sweaty

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

How do I re-calibrate my compass? Google maps keeps prompting me every 2 weeks or so to fix my compass but the calibration seems to never quite take.

Moto X 2013, 5.1.x

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Rusty! posted:

I put my N6 in a zip lock bag before it goes in the arm band so it doesn't get sweaty

I considered that but really what happens if you trip and fall on your $600-$900 phone? Or take it out for some reason and drop it because you are tired from running? Or get mugged? Or crash your bike because some idiot doesn't know how to control their dog and it runs right in front of you? And I'm not trusting my S6 Edge+ by the pool plastic bag or not.

For $50 and 20 seconds popping the sim out and sticking it in an adapter that costs next to nothing with a Moto E you get a durable fully functional music streaming/SD card playing, GPS tracking with a decent enough screen, battery and Lollipop that is so cheap that you don't have to give a single poo poo about destroying.

Just buy a Moto E.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:

Three Olives posted:

I considered that but really what happens if you trip and fall on your $600-$900 phone? Or take it out for some reason and drop it because you are tired from running? Or get mugged? Or crash your bike because some idiot doesn't know how to control their dog and it runs right in front of you? And I'm not trusting my S6 Edge+ by the pool plastic bag or not.

For $50 and 20 seconds popping the sim out and sticking it in an adapter that costs next to nothing with a Moto E you get a durable fully functional music streaming/SD card playing, GPS tracking with a decent enough screen, battery and Lollipop that is so cheap that you don't have to give a single poo poo about destroying.

Just buy a Moto E.

Might even be able to do it without popping out the SIM. GPS should still function without it (although the app that is using it might not).

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Tots posted:

Might even be able to do it without popping out the SIM. GPS should still function without it (although the app that is using it might not).

Probably but I really, really don't like being out without access to a phone plus thinking towards pool season I will probably buy one of those waterproof pouches because I absolutely want at least text capability at the pool without worrying about the phone.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Three Olives posted:

Probably but I really, really don't like being out without access to a phone plus thinking towards pool season I will probably buy one of those waterproof pouches because I absolutely want at least text capability at the pool without worrying about the phone.

The Gear S2 52mm can do calls and texting without being connected to the phone and should also have no issues being poolside. Unfortunately it runs Tizen instead of Android.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Three Olives posted:

This is... Something.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

This is... Something.

How is hanging out by the pool and inviting friends over to drink beer and grill a weird thing?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
If you have friends over and you're in the pool put your goddamn phone away.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Whizbang posted:

If you have friends over and you're in the pool put your goddamn phone away.

My friends don't show up unannounced and typically ask before they arrive if we need extra beer or stuff to grill and such, plus I have to let them in with the front desk or at least put them on the access list with the building app.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Three Olives posted:

Just buy a Moto E.
Bike crash is my worry.
Guess I should just grab an E and go from there.

Is there a good way to sync texts that might come in while in the other phone?

e: actually a nokia 550 might be a good option. I keep wanting to check out win10mo. Kill 2 birds and all that. I don't need all the apps for this phone...

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Three Olives posted:

the building app.

gently caress this world.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I wish my building had an app :(

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Whizbang posted:

It's really not an exciting thing, the platform my building runs on that a ton of buildings do has an app that lets you add front desk instructions or see the status of repair requests or packages or whatever.

Almost all the stuff is backend management, they just made an app so you can reserve stuff or check a repair request or whatever on your phone.

If you live in an apartment building owned by a decently sized property management company they run something like this, they just don't have the features enabled to give you a front end that you would give a poo poo about.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 10, 2016

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Whizbang posted:

This isn't a terribly weird thing.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Three Olives posted:

It's really not an exciting thing, the platform my building runs on that a ton of buildings do has an app that lets you add front desk instructions or see the status of repair requests or packages or whatever.

Almost all the stuff is backend management, they just made an app so you can reserve stuff or check a repair request or whatever on your phone.

If you live in an apartment building owned by a decently sized property management company they run something like this, they just don't have the features enabled to give you a front end that you would give a poo poo about.

That's actually amazing and I think I might suggest this to our building mangers/strata, it's a big new building so they can prob do this. Thanks 3O!

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Thermopyle posted:

This isn't a terribly weird thing.

I didn't say terribly weird, just terrible.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's actually amazing and I think I might suggest this to our building mangers/strata, it's a big new building so they can prob do this. Thanks 3O!

Seriously, any major building/management company is running some back-end software, even the tiny company that rents my rental property apparently upgraded to something in the last year because I now get automated emails when my tenant pays their rent.

Tenant notices, repair tracking, package tracking, billing, they are running specific software of this type, some is more modern than others. My building runs BuildingLink, it's one of the more modern platforms, very internet based so they built a web/mobile app for it but most of the poo poo is sending building notices, managing reservations, signing in and out keys, etc has nothing to do with us.

Just an example, your apartment management office probably has a giant electronic drawer of keys to units with a crappy computer attached to it to check one out and has for at least a decade, my building does too except all our keys are unlabeled and in identical holders with chips in them, when you want to check out a key the drawer pops open and the key in a random unlabeled spot and put back into a random unlabeled spot lights up and I can see on my end who authorized the key to be checked out, to who and why. The future is pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E7cWHl3Nq8

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

From an engineering standpoint it's not terribly complicated, as others have pointed out, this software is pretty old hat at this point. San Francisco and other major tech hubs have lots of enterprising young people living in big buildings with bad management, so software to deal with this poo poo has been invented already.

All you have to do is add an API layer for the old software that lets you authenticate, read and write to the database about maintenance requests, etc. Front desk instructions might be handled by a separate system, but it can have it's own API. Then the android app is just a pretty HTML5 front end to make API calls back to the database/management software over it's internet connection.

That is pretty neat, my building offers a maintenance request thing through their website, they're owned by a huge company (they own something like 1000 units in my city) so there might be an app already.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

After the January 2016 security update, my Nexus 5 seems to be taking an unreasonably long time to charge. Normally from <15% charge it takes 2-2.5 hours to charge without use. When I plugged it in earlier today without going that low, the estimated charging time was 5 hours. Right now, at 88% charge, charge to full is estimated at 1 hour 18 minutes. The same cable and outlet as always is being used. The screen, apps and all connectivity other than Wi-fi and cellular are off. Is anyone else having similar issues or have any ideas on how to mitigate this issue?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My condo got compact fluorescent lights recently :grin:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Maigius posted:

After the January 2016 security update, my Nexus 5 seems to be taking an unreasonably long time to charge. Normally from <15% charge it takes 2-2.5 hours to charge without use. When I plugged it in earlier today without going that low, the estimated charging time was 5 hours. Right now, at 88% charge, charge to full is estimated at 1 hour 18 minutes. The same cable and outlet as always is being used. The screen, apps and all connectivity other than Wi-fi and cellular are off. Is anyone else having similar issues or have any ideas on how to mitigate this issue?
Wake lock? Restart phone, see if its still showing that.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Reverse Centaur posted:

Did you manage to do it without a light bulb sub- committee and months of arguing over color temperature including half a dozen test floors and multiple surveys over which your floor would randomly change from blinding operating room cool to dungeon warm?

If so I envy you, I can't wait to see what happens when we upgrade to LED lights.

But seriously after the whole ridiculous process we saved a shitload with CFLs, they paid for themselves like a year quicker than expected, good on your condo even though they are pretty late to the game.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Hadlock posted:

How do I re-calibrate my compass? Google maps keeps prompting me every 2 weeks or so to fix my compass but the calibration seems to never quite take.

Moto X 2013, 5.1.x

With the screen facing up, move the phone in a figure 8 pattern. This is true for every phone I've had so I'm guessing it's true for yours.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

Why are you encouraging condochat with a known condo-dweller

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

nocal posted:

Why are you encouraging condochat with a known condo-dweller

I live in a city where the entire economy is condos. It is what we do. Plus the amenities 3O gets remind me that not everywhere has regressed to the point where a single small closet in your unit is considered luxury.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Whizbang posted:

I didn't say terribly weird, just terrible.

To be fair, you didn't say either of those things.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

bull3964 posted:

That said, encryption is a good idea simply because we know app makers are not good stewards with the data we provide them and often store that data in very bad ways that can be reverse engineered.

It's moot anyways since current Google guidance requires encryption to be always on if the storage is fast enough.

The encryption isn't going to do jack for you in terms of whether apps store data properly or not or whether it can be reverse engineered. If the phone is powered on, then the data is effectively in the clear.

Android's filesystem encryption is basically a loopback mount; either the whole filesystem is unlocked (the phone is on and booted) or it's not (the phone is powered off). It's not like iOS' encryption where the encryption takes place at a file level, and the keys are all thrown away out of memory when the screen is locked.

Android's filesystem encryption only helps you from a standpoint that if the phone is off, you can't boot the device and read the data, and data can't be recovered after a factory reset.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

kitten smoothie posted:

The encryption isn't going to do jack for you in terms of whether apps store data properly or not or whether it can be reverse engineered. If the phone is powered on, then the data is effectively in the clear.

Android's filesystem encryption is basically a loopback mount; either the whole filesystem is unlocked (the phone is on and booted) or it's not (the phone is powered off). It's not like iOS' encryption where the encryption takes place at a file level, and the keys are all thrown away out of memory when the screen is locked.

Android's filesystem encryption only helps you from a standpoint that if the phone is off, you can't boot the device and read the data, and data can't be recovered after a factory reset.

It's good enough though. If you lose your phone, no one can actually connect to the file system without entering your lock screen code. If they reboot the phone they can't get anything out of recovery.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

It's good enough though. If you lose your phone, no one can actually connect to the file system without entering your lock screen code. If they reboot the phone they can't get anything out of recovery.

Considering how much better iOS is at it, it's really not good enough. I mean, law enforcement agencies who want to spy on people are actively complaining that it's impossible to do with iOS. With Android not so much.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

They're complaining about iOS devices because all of them are encrypted. I wouldn't be surprised if the number of encrypted android devices law enforcement has come across numbers in the low single digit percentage.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

bull3964 posted:

They're complaining about iOS devices because all of them are encrypted. I wouldn't be surprised if the number of encrypted android devices law enforcement has come across numbers in the low single digit percentage.

Yeah, hasn't encryption been the default on android since 6.0? So there's like...what...1000 devices in the wild that have encrpytion turned on? :v:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ilkhan posted:

Bike crash is my worry.
Guess I should just grab an E and go from there.

Is there a good way to sync texts that might come in while in the other phone?

e: actually a nokia 550 might be a good option. I keep wanting to check out win10mo. Kill 2 birds and all that. I don't need all the apps for this phone...

The 2015 G is waterproof, right? The E has higher water resistance, but I'd like something completely waterproof to take biking/swimming/beaching.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

The 2015 G is waterproof, right? The E has higher water resistance, but I'd like something completely waterproof to take biking/swimming/beaching.

The G is water-resistant, not waterproof.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

The rear end Stooge posted:

The G is water-resistant, not waterproof.

Ah. I looked it up, and it looks like the G can survive being submerged briefly, but the E can't, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
So Ive gone down the rabbit hole of customizing my phone(Lockscreen,Home,Widgets etc)

Spend the better part of the afternoon messing around with launchers and all that and found some paid apps that worked well for me so spent a bit of money to. Crazy how much choice and options there are (I am used to iOS/WinPhone)..