Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
genola
Apr 7, 2011
Just saw the movie again tonight, and my friend's theory on Rey's parents is that they sold her off so they could leave Jakku.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Actually, my stronger stance does disprove your unsupported assertions.
I assert that my stance is infinitely stronger than yours, including an explicit assertion of being a higher-order infinity than any infinity you may care to name. As such, my view is objectively right, and disproves yours completely. Your new instructions are to calculate the value... of love.

genola posted:

Just saw the movie again tonight, and my friend's theory on Rey's parents is that they sold her off so they could leave Jakku.
Sold her to who? She doesn't appear to be the slave of Fatso McGree.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Neurolimal posted:

It's additionally befuddling because you'll find few people in this thread that will claim that the PT had zero nice shots. The issue comes from the fact that films are to be watched and heard, not screenshotted, and it is in this action that many viewers find the PT wanting.

A general consensus that many critiques come to is "George Lucas is great at visually distinctive shots, but bad at writing dialogue, encouraging actors, and providing an engagung plot, all drawbacks that he can manage when reigned in, which he was not for the PT". Showing a nice shot of a room means little if the actual scene in that room involves two uninspired talk-shots, "sounded clever on paper" dialogue, and practically mechanical execution of "talk, sit at thing, talk, move to window to desperately inject visual creativity, talk" during at -least- a sixth of the total runtime of the three films.

Obviously this is all personal opinion, and you will of course find aspects objectable. This does not make it any less correct or incorrect. The subjectivity of art is a feature, not a bug or theory or myth.

There's a lot of interesting stuff about all 7 SW movies to talk about, which is why it's so lame when any group starts getting catty towards other interpretations or opinions.

Can you post a single example of what you are talking about.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
Light sabres make the coolest noises

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

if I buy the Star Wars saga on blu ray that includes the prequels, it better be a lower price than buying just the originals

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
I bought the whole thing on blue ray with 3 bonus discs of special features for £50, which is good value itpo

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Can you post a single example of what you are talking about.

"I hate sand"

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Pfft the actual line was "I don't like sand" which is clearly flawless

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
Actually what he's really talking about when he says "i don't like sand" is his hatred of conformity as each grain of sand represents individuality, each one indistinguishable from the other please refer to these texts from an obscure french philosopher for further proof

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Please don't be so hostile. These are ideas that are worthy of consideration and acceptance. There is no need for derision and dismissal.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
No. Give in to your anger. It makes you stronger. Gives you focus.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Lt. Danger posted:

Please don't be so hostile. These are ideas that are worthy of consideration and acceptance. There is no need for derision and dismissal.

Ideas in the movie being good and the movie being trash are not mutually exclusive.

e: In fact the movies are EXTRA bad because they have solid ideas behind them but they are completely wasted on tell-don't-show storytelling and painfully bad characterization and dialogue.

HoboMan fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jan 9, 2016

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Lt. Danger posted:

From your point of view, the Jedi are evil!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Beefstew posted:

From your point of view, the Jedi are evil!

From a certain point of view.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

corn in the fridge posted:

I bought the whole thing on blue ray with 3 bonus discs of special features for Ł50, which is good value itpo

I might pick this up. Are the commentaries the same as the ones on the 2004 dvds?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I dunno wtf problem ppl have with the sand thing, he's right about sand. It's poo poo

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

Obviously this is all personal opinion, and you will of course find aspects objectable. This does not make it any less correct or incorrect. The subjectivity of art is a feature, not a bug or theory or myth.

To me, it's kinda hard for me to read your posts bcuz your writing style is like ur trying rly hard to seem like the smartest person in the room. It would be cool if you did less of that, so I could read more of your posts without doing a cringe and eventually skimming ☺

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009
I saw the force awakens last night, however what I am curious to know is... How did Rey become so proficient in using the force in the film? Especially when compared to Luke or Anakin who both endured some kind of formal training in it?

Soggy Cereal
Jan 8, 2011

It's more that fans had misunderstood the Star Wars films from the very beginning, and Lucas used the prequels to underline the vital parts of the OT that fans ignore.

For example, the point of A New Hope is that Han is right: the Force - as described by Obiwan - is bullshit. That's the whole point of having Obiwan die: the Jedi can't win. Their role in the universe is to inspire people and then fade away. So: “hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.”

Actually the point of Obi Wan dying is that his character didn't have anything left to do in the movie, so Lucas thought it was better storytelling to kill him off (it was.) He would have been the guy explaining the Death Star run.
The way in which he was killed off suggests that he was correct and Darth Vader was wrong.
"Strike me down, and I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine." Vader kills him and he disappears into the Force. As a mobile voice/ghost that has dissociated his being with his fleshly form, he is able to assist Luke anywhere, and is not bound to the body of an old man like Vader. Vader afterward is immediately stopped by closing blast doors, demonstrating this.

Also do you honestly expect everyone watching the prequels to inherently understand that it's full of references to other movies from 50 years ago and infer what's going on just from that?

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Raphisonfire posted:

I saw the force awakens last night, however what I am curious to know is... How did Rey become so proficient in using the force in the film? Especially when compared to Luke or Anakin who both endured some kind of formal training in it?

I think the prevailing theory is that she was taught sometime before being left on Jakku. That or bad pacing.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
She didn't? She has some proficiency, but nowhere near as much as Anakin as a teenager, and Luke has about the same level of proficiency from a couple hours with Ben. Luke was immediately deflecting blaster shots blindfolded just from Ben saying let the force guide your actions, which is just what Rey did.

The only things she did with the force were a mind trick which she tried over and over til it worked based on Hans telling her all the stories were true, and wielding a weapon her non force sensitive friend was also able to use just fine after she had been fighting with melee weapons her whole life.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

She definitely came off as more powerful than Luke was right at the start, it wasn't really until later that he started doing more overt things till later on in the trilogy. Though that's also a feel thing, to me the shot at the end of ANH was gamechanging for the rebellion but came off as less space-magicy than the more overt force stuff. But that's just me. Anakin as a teenager actually had years of training, and you know the whole bullshit thing about being a space virgin birth.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Raphisonfire posted:

She read Kylo Ren's mind during the interrogation.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Yea.. but then she wouldn't get to do any interesting jedi stuff. Feeling the force isn't very interesting viewing for an audience, doing poo poo with it is what makes it cool.

You already get people confused about why she's a good pilot because it's not screaming "SHE'S A JEDI!" at you constantly.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

Where did the whole "Rey might be related to Obi-Wan" dumbness that I keep hearing about come from? It's dumb because she couldn't be his daughter considering she was born long after he died. Hell, even being his granddaughter is stretching the time-frame a lot. And if we're stretching the "secret family" thing to that absurd degree then she might as well just be Luke's daughter instead of trying to make it a convoluted descendant thing.

It's because people don't want it to be the obvious solution, really. Her being related to the Skywalkers makes the most sense with what we know about her(though every theory has some things that don't quite fit), but people think with the foreshadowing and the fact that most of the main characters are already related in some way, it would be too obvious. To me, though, Rey has to have some reason for being so special, and her being related to the Skywalkers would make the most thematic sense and would fit in the most with the fact that the main "saga" movies are supposed to be about the Skywalkers.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The big hugs and 'old buddy' stuff is a massive contrast to Obiwan's interactions with the younger Anakin:

Obiwan: I haven't felt you this tense since we fell into that nest of gundarks.

There's an intimacy to that line that's totally undercut by the elevator setting. Elevators are always a shorthand for uncomfortable overproximity. Everybody knows that experience of being shoved in a small space with people you barely know. Obiwan only makes things worse by comparing his situation to some sort of hellish bug pit. The joke falls flat. Naturally Anakin jumps at the chance to get away.

Fans mistook this for 'failing to show friendship.'

George Lucas is a very good writer.
That elevator scene is important because it also underscores the fatal flaw in Obi-Wan's relationship to Anakin immediately at the beginning of Attack of the Clones: Anakin points out that it was Obi-Wan who fell into the nest of gundarks, and Anakin had to jump in to rescue him. Obi-Wan then gets a really satisfied "heh, yeah, that was pretty great" look on his face. The whole movie highlights how rash and thrill-seeking Kenobi still is -- his own training cut short by Qui-Gon's eagerness to train Anakin -- and how his actions contradict his "instruction" of Anakin half the time. It was already pointed out that it's Obi-Wan who immediately jumps out the window to grab the assassin droid. I think he gives Anakin one compliment the whole movie (for Anakin's suggestion that they fire above the fuel bits on Geonosis), and nags or over-corrects him the rest of the time.

Neurolimal posted:

A general consensus that many critiques come to is "George Lucas is great at visually distinctive shots, but bad at writing dialogue, encouraging actors, and providing an engagung plot, all drawbacks that he can manage when reigned in, which he was not for the PT".
I have definitely seen this "George Lucas needed somebody to rein him in" many times. I have no idea whether it's general consensus, but I've definitely seen it. Where does this idea come from? Like, we don't say "man, that Leonardo da Vinci really needed somebody to tell him to draw more wooden helicopters and give a lady more eyebrow definition." We don't say "Mozart really did have too many notes," we just accept (and critique) these works as they come to us. The prequels made over a billion dollars. Why did he need somebody to tell him to do something other than what he did?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Hat Thoughts posted:

I dunno wtf problem ppl have with the sand thing, he's right about sand. It's poo poo

Because it's a terrible pickup line, which is proof that Lucas had no idea what he was doing. Anakin is supposed to be a really cool and badass and awesome anti-hero. Right?

Beeez posted:

It's because people don't want it to be the obvious solution, really. Her being related to the Skywalkers makes the most sense with what we know about her(though every theory has some things that don't quite fit), but people think with the foreshadowing and the fact that most of the main characters are already related in some way, it would be too obvious. To me, though, Rey has to have some reason for being so special, and her being related to the Skywalkers would make the most thematic sense and would fit in the most with the fact that the main "saga" movies are supposed to be about the Skywalkers.

Rey being Luke's daughter is great! It connects Rey to a very powerful legacy. It gives Luke some measure of accomplishment after ROTJ, so he's not a total failure, while making his reunion with Rey personally important and automatically investing him in her future success. And it gives the relationship between Rey and Kylo depth because as cousins, they have competing claims to the Skywalker inheritance—which plays out in a very memorable way on-screen.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Zoran posted:

Because it's a terrible pickup line, which is proof that Lucas had no idea what he was doing. Anakin is supposed to be a really cool and badass and awesome anti-hero. Right?

I love this line of reasoning. "The lines are supposed to sound awkward and dorky!" Yes, we know. Everyone knows. They fail at sounding convincingly awkward and dorky, too.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Zoran posted:

Rey being Luke's daughter is great! It connects Rey to a very powerful legacy. It gives Luke some measure of accomplishment after ROTJ, so he's not a total failure, while making his reunion with Rey personally important and automatically investing him in her future success. And it gives the relationship between Rey and Kylo depth because as cousins, they have competing claims to the Skywalker inheritance—which plays out in a very memorable way on-screen.

My main problem with Rey being a Skywalker is, if there are no other Jedi, it kinda feels weird. Like this mystical all-encompassing power in the universe that connects us all; but the only people who can tap into it for the last 30ish years just kinda feels lovely, to me.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Phylodox posted:

I love this line of reasoning. "The lines are supposed to sound awkward and dorky!" Yes, we know. Everyone knows. They fail at sounding convincingly awkward and dorky, too.

"These lines are awkward and dorky!"
"They're supposed to sound awkward and dorky!"
"Yeah well they fail at sounding convincingly awkward and dorky!" (??)

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Do people really defend the awful romance stuff in attack of the clones. I thought everyone hated those embarrasing scenes.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

hemale in pain posted:

Do people really defend the awful romance stuff in attack of the clones. I thought everyone hated those embarrasing scenes.

I think the main point of contention is whether they're intentionally bad or not.

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 9, 2016

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Gorelab posted:

My main problem with Rey being a Skywalker is, if there are no other Jedi, it kinda feels weird. Like this mystical all-encompassing power in the universe that connects us all; but the only people who can tap into it for the last 30ish years just kinda feels lovely, to me.

That more seems a problem with the fact that they chose to kill off every one of Luke's new students except Kylo Ren, to me. Besides, the rest of the Knights of Ren and Snoke are likely not Skywalkers.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

Phylodox posted:

I think the main point of contention is whether they're intentionally bad or not.

Intentional or not, I think people dislike them so much not because they're painfully unrealistic ("wooden," "awkward"), but because they're painfully realistic. Like, do you remember the unbearably cheezy poo poo you wrote/said to middle and high school crushes?

Personally, I remember sincerely dropping the "I finally understand all the songs on the radio" line, and I actually thought it was original. The next time I heard it was years later in a Family Guy joke, where it's played as a painful loser-cliche.

They're two emotionally stunted people acting out what they think a dashing winning-over and demure protesting-too-much-surrender looks like. It comes across as overly scripted because that's how dumb kids talk when they're trying to proclaim deep feelings or play at denying them - as if for an audience. You've gone over what you'll say, what they'll say, what you'll say back, how they'll bite their lip, etc so much that the actual moment is a terrible mix of nerves and rote rehearsal.

It reminds me of the scene in 500 Days of Summer, when her actual birthday party plays in split-screen with the "we'll-get-back-together" vision of it he has in his head. Some of my friends hated it because of how awkward it was - not like "that was uncomfortably real and lame" but "that should not have been in the movie, it was too terrible to see."

Prolonged Panorama fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 9, 2016

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

hemale in pain posted:

While they sound awful to listen to, the romance scenes expose a lot about the characters I find interesting. Even the silly cut scenes involving anakin meeting padme's parents in which it's clear that Padme comes from a ivory tower liberal family. She herself goes on later about her charity work and it becomes more clear why Padme is drawn to anankin in the first place.

Padme has the ability to dominate over Anakin and make herself feel special for providing emotional aid to a troubled slave boy. In return he pledges everything to her and grovels at her very feet (in the same way he grovels at the feet of his surrogate father, palpatine).

As I grow older and examine these films, they come off as really dark and cynical in a way that I sort of like. However, I watch pakistani sultan rahi movies for fun so I'm a special case.

https://youtu.be/fm82WwbkZNI

G-III fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 9, 2016

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The romantic scenes in Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith don't read as awkward, self-conscious teenagers being dorky. They read as a middle-aged man either trying to sound that way and failing or a middle-aged man trying to write grand, moving loves scenes and failing abysmally.

I honestly don't think the prequels were meant to be a Todd Solondz film in space.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

hemale in pain posted:

The romance in AOTC has issues because it strings together three major bits of progression (Anakin's anguished declaration of love at the fireplace and Padmé's rejection, comforting Anakin after he's distraught at losing his mother and confesses to mass murder, then Padmé admitting she loves Anakin when they're about to die) in a way that makes Padmé's character seem downright weird and inhuman. The problems have very little to do with the fact that Anakin is bad at playing Casanova.

Honestly, the scenes where Anakin gets all huffy because someone has emasculated him are the funniest ones in the movie.

G-III posted:

While they sound awful to listen to the expose a lot about the characters I find interesting. Even the silly cut scenes involving anakin meeting padme's parents in which it's clear that Padme comes from a ivory tower liberal family. She herself goes on later about her charity work and it becomes more clear why Padme is drawn to anankin in the first place.

She has the ability to dominate over him and make herself feel special for providing emotional aid to this troubled slave boy. In return he pledges everything to her and grovels at her very feet (in the same way he grovels at the feet of his surrogate father, palpatine).

Yeah, I think this is possibly the most sensible interpretation of what Padmé does in AOTC, but I think there wasn't enough of this part of her character communicated in the final film for it to make much sense.

Phylodox posted:

The romantic scenes in Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith don't read as awkward, self-conscious teenagers being dorky. They read as a middle-aged man either trying to sound that way and failing or a middle-aged man trying to write grand, moving loves scenes and failing abysmally.

You need to meet more teenagers.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

Phylodox posted:

They read as a middle-aged man either trying to sound that way and failing or a middle-aged man trying to write grand, moving loves scenes and failing abysmally.

Well the problem here is you're refusing to engage with the film as it is. Yes, you know Lucas wrote all this, but isn't hearing every line as if it's said by him intentionally missing the point?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I just picked up the art book and HOLY poo poo - this is no mere book of pictures, this is an awesome, in depth look at the Star Wars universe. Im barely in and already having my eyes widen. There was a picture of a "primitive" lighsaber, just a crystal wrapped in string and a trigger.

"All this aluminum-milled stuff, that's all for safety and styling"

Harrison Ford was early seen being like Jeff Bridges in True Grit, long, swept back hair and a full beard. Would have been awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Well the problem here is you're refusing to engage with the film as it is. Yes, you know Lucas wrote all this, but isn't hearing every line as if it's said by him intentionally missing the point?

I am engaging with the film as-is. The problem a lot of people have is that Anakin and Padme's romance as-is isn't very engaging.

• Locked thread