Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

Karma Monkey posted:

Lifehack: Don't lose the attachments that come with the vacuum cleaner so you don't have to make replacements out of crumpled toilet paper rolls.

That sounds like work, friend. These here are life hacks. My life has become at least 35% easier and more efficient since I started following these wonderful tips!

*smooshes crumpled up toilet paper roll into the folds of a couch while silently crying*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Non Serviam posted:

The smiley on that logo looks :effort:

It looks like a mangled tennis ball.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I witnessed a life hack in action today while helping my brother move into an apartment in Biloxi!

A resident didn't want to carry his garbage bag all the way to the dumpster, so he put it on the hood of his SUV and drove it down the parking lot.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

chitoryu12 posted:

I witnessed a life hack in action today while helping my brother move into an apartment in Biloxi!

A resident didn't want to carry his garbage bag all the way to the dumpster, so he put it on the hood of his SUV and drove it down the parking lot.

What kind of distance are we talking about here

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Non Serviam posted:

I've seen it done for as low as 200 feet.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Kaethela posted:

It looks like a mangled tennis ball.
It is.

#keyhack

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Palisader posted:

That sounds like work, friend. These here are life hacks. My life has become at least 35% easier and more efficient since I started following these wonderful tips!

*smooshes crumpled up toilet paper roll into the folds of a couch while silently crying*

The real life hack is to not vacuum at all. I have mastered the ultimate housecleaning hack. :smug:

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

El Estrago Bonito posted:

This is 100% still a thing. Long con jobs still work and lot's of physical security red teams do long scale pen testing to help people protect against them. If you can rent and furnish something there are actually very few people who will question you. Nobody asks "hey are you really a doctor?" when you get a custom plaque made for your faux office, especially if you're impersonating someone in an industry that's already rife with quacks and liars (chiro, massage, acupuncture, etc). Also it's very easy to research what words are controlled and regulated and for you to functionally present yourself using very deceptive terms. It's pretty easy, for instance, to get a not-really-a-real doctorate in Theology from sketchy politically motivated evangelical institutions, once you do that you can, for instance, in most places call yourself a "counselor" or a "life coach" (terms that, unlike "therapist", are not protected in many places or beholden to industry standards or boards) and quasi-legally append Dr. to the front of your name. After that you can basically function as a therapist but without any of the legal or ethical requirements normally placed on people in those professions. If you get backed against a wall you can say that you're focused on religious counseling for theological matters and there honestly isn't a lot of most cities and states can do to stop you unless you really really gently caress up (ie rape, murder, tax fraud, etc).

This is a pretty great talk about cons if people are interested in that kind of thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K6FXe5XcHs

like this makes me want to scam people into getting actual medical treatment, bill myself as a naturopath or whatever quackery. tell people to get medical treatment and then provide a b.s. detoxifying regimen to make them feel better about it "nono honey it's ok get your kid vaccinated but that night tape beets to the bottom of his feet and it will suck out all the autism"

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Elfgames posted:

like this makes me want to scam people into getting actual medical treatment, bill myself as a naturopath or whatever quackery. tell people to get medical treatment and then provide a b.s. detoxifying regimen to make them feel better about it "nono honey it's ok get your kid vaccinated but that night tape beets to the bottom of his feet and it will suck out all the autism"

"Then throw the beets in the pool of that BITCH Brenda so HER kid catches the auts."

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Dareon posted:

"Then throw the beets in the pool of that BITCH Brenda so HER kid catches the auts."

I would be so pissed if someone threw beets in my pool. I loving hate beets.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

Karma Monkey posted:

The real life hack is to not vacuum at all. I have mastered the ultimate housecleaning hack. :smug:

:worship:

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_iD7oX2XtQ

It has duck tape, a thick southern accent, a bottle of Boone's Farm,and "Walla!" What more can you ask for?

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

TSBX posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_iD7oX2XtQ

It has duck tape, a thick southern accent, a bottle of Boone's Farm,and "Walla!" What more can you ask for?

"Rilli rilli rilli rilli rilli rilli rilli rilli rilli rilli rilli rilli rilli rilli rilli rilli rilli"

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Jeherrin posted:

"Rilli rilli rilli rilli rilli rilli rilli rilli rilli rilli rilli rilli rilli rilli rilli rilli rilli"

Wuhlluh!

Jesus the number of eggs you could peel by a normal method in the time it takes him to wrap the egg in duct tape. :lol:

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Karate Bastard posted:

The fact that there are people that make a living as social engineering penetration testers (and hell, telemarketers) is also pretty telling that the con game is still alive.

Wanna hack yourself into a corporate building? Forget the sec check up front chump! Go mingle with the smokers. They'll inevitably hang out by the café round the back, because that incidentally shares a service elevator, and the smokers will use that because gently caress the sec check. Wanna get into the board room? Look meek, roll a coffee trolley into the room, and grab a seat. Remember to say "Sir" when you bring people refills to their seat. #getrichfast #jailtime #isforchumps

Carry a flower arrangement and a florist's delivery receipt pad. People will let you into all sorts of places that they shouldn't.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

skander posted:

Carry a flower arrangement and a florist's delivery receipt pad. People will let you into all sorts of places that they shouldn't.

gently caress that, too cliche. Company polo shirt, clipboard, high visibility vest and that "oh god no please not this poo poo again" look that overworked contractors all have.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
"I'm a consultant here to trim some fat, can you show me where ___________ is?"

Wear a suit for effect.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

"I'm a consultant here to trim some fat, can you show me where ___________ is?"

Wear a suit for effect.

No, that's going to wake any low level employee the gently caress up, and they'll remember you and be way too helpful. Also, consultants are never that direct.

You want to be whatever that environment's equivalent of the homeless guy sleeping in the bus stop is.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
It's easier just to get a gun and run in screaming. No need for a suit or flowers, and you can do what you need to do far more efficiently and with greater gusto. #lifehacked

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Just try my strategy. Walk in without pants, say you are from the governemnt.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Lifehack: Half-remembered plot points from Burn Notice reruns and Chuck Palahniuk novels are all it takes to be a social engineering expert on the internet.

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Just try my strategy. Walk in without pants, say you are from the governemnt.

You'll never get past security lookin like a fool

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Je suis fatigue posted:

He's right, saying you're from the government is never going to work.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
It's different in Canada ok?

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Je suis fatigue posted:

You just make sure you don't leave your pants on the ground when you take them off. Put them away someplace safe.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Your best chance to get past security is be 30 or older and dressed formal as gently caress, calmly walking in and nodding along the way with a stern look.

That being said, chances are pretty slim anywhere unless you are desperate to take a poo poo in 90s Lithuanian agriculture ministry.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

kalstrams posted:

Your best chance to get past security is be 30 or older and dressed formal as gently caress, calmly walking in and nodding along the way with a stern look.
Being 23 and delivering flowers works really, really well.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The part everyone fails to mention is you need a decent acting skill to pull off the level of mundanity needed because everyone is going to be super helpful to the noticeably nervous deliveryman and you'll keep digging yourself further into a over-specification hole.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Upton Sinclair became the first investigative journalist for his book The Jungle by just taking off his hat and jacket, and walking through several US factories in his shabby shirt and tie carrying his simple lunch bucket. Nobody ever questioned who he was or what he was doing there.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Sleeveless posted:

Lifehack: Half-remembered plot points from Burn Notice reruns and Chuck Palahniuk novels are all it takes to be a social engineering expert on the internet.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Non Serviam posted:

Like, 100 yards at the most. It was just down the parking lot.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

El Estrago Bonito posted:

This is a pretty great talk about cons if people are interested in that kind of thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K6FXe5XcHs

The Razzle Dazzle game described got me curious, because he said it was impossible to win, which sounded strange if I understood the details correctly. After searching around, I found a site that did the math, and it turns out that it's technically possible to win. It is the doubling bets that make the game impossible in practice - long before you hit the winning score, you will most likely be forced to betting all the money that exists in the entire world. There's still a non-zero chance of getting the prize without the doubling bets bankrupting you, but the probability of that is probably something like winning five Powerball jackpots in a row.

Good life hack: Don't play carnie games.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

You forgot the key part where the con artist quickly changes the number of points allocated to the player without them noticing, preventing them from ever getting the ten or however many points needed to win. That's what makes it actually impossible.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Sleeveless posted:

I know you think you are joking but people actually do this poo poo in practice, bringing "bombs" in and "secret documents" out past security, even in venues that have been bombed before.

E: lifehack: trick someone into employing you as a social engineering expert even though you don't have the necessary skills!

Social engineer: the only self-certifiable trade!

Karate Bastard has a new favorite as of 15:39 on Jan 11, 2016

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

FutonForensic posted:

You forgot the key part where the con artist quickly changes the number of points allocated to the player without them noticing, preventing them from ever getting the ten or however many points needed to win. That's what makes it actually impossible.

They don't cheat at the end, since people become a lot more careful when they think they're close to winning - demanding to do their own totals etc. With the game in its natural un-cheated state it is practically impossible to get any points.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Karma Monkey posted:

Lifehack: House getting too dirty? Just buy a new one!

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Karate Bastard posted:

I know you think you are joking but people actually do this poo poo in practice, bringing "bombs" in and "secret documents" out past security, even in venues that have been bombed before.

E: lifehack: trick someone into employing you as a social engineering expert even though you don't have the necessary skills!

There's some DEFCON video of some guy who's job it is to 'break' into places and just look around.
Apart from the part where he's a massive tool and goes 'SEE THOSE FIVE LAPTOPS ON THE DESKS? I JUST STOLE THEM ALL!' Yes, you can wander around an office looking lost in a Courier outfit but I think if you have five laptops stuffed under your arm someone might get suss.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Karate Bastard posted:

Lifehack: don't respond to Sleeveless, they're a joyless shithead who contributes nothing of value to any thread on the forums and yet goes around threadshitting in them anyway.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Choco1980 posted:

Upton Sinclair became the first investigative journalist for his book The Jungle by just taking off his hat and jacket, and walking through several US factories in his shabby shirt and tie carrying his simple lunch bucket. Nobody ever questioned who he was or what he was doing there.

Think that vat of lard was ruined by the employee that died in it? Sell it anyway! #junglehacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Karate Bastard posted:

I was making fun of the people acting like they're Tyler Durden, not challenging the legitimacy of the Buzzfeed articles and crime fiction plot points that they're parroting.