Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Sting games... are not that good sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

http://store.steampowered.com/app/377840 ff9 on steam

Additional Features
・Achievements
・Seven game boosters including high speed and no encounter modes.
・Autosave
・High-definition movies and character models.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Rascyc posted:

Thanks all for the Fire Emblem information and assurances. I really can't go to the FE thread cause it's just :mindfuck: so I appreciate we have this haven

it's like the same people posting in this thread dude

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Looper posted:

it's like the same people posting in this thread dude
tae and onmi dont get really mad at you if you say gay people are cool, in this thread

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
It looks surprisingly decent (better than any emulation settings, for sure), it's just a shame all the original renders were lost long ago or it could look jaw-dropping. :smith:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

tae and onmi dont get really mad at you if you say gay people are cool, in this thread

Provide the deets posthaste

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Provide the deets posthaste
they get mad at people who wish the new FE games had more homos because 'ugh how many gay marriages do you have to put in before people are happy!!'

that's it really

it's not very delish

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The answer is of course "all of them." Regardless of the gender of the people getting married, all the weddings should be gay.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Endorph posted:

they get mad at people who wish the new FE games had more homos because 'ugh how many gay marriages do you have to put in before people are happy!!'

that's it really

it's not very delish

At least 40

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Endorph posted:

Wow, seriously? I'm really offended that you're calling me a homophobia. Calling me the same poo poo heads that killed my friend is loving offensive.

edit: If you seriously have a problem with me Endorph, then PM me or something.

Tae fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 7, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

:yikes:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Homos..... Ftw

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Homos..... Ftw

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Homos..... Ftw

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Tae posted:

Wow, seriously? I'm really offended that you're calling me a homophobia. Calling me the same poo poo heads that killed my friend is loving offensive.

your posts have been kinda weird lately are you okay

D.O.G.O.G.B.Y.N.
Dec 31, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
No encounter mode for FF9 sounds p. cool, though it'd be nice if it kept boss battles with automatic leveling or whatever.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Taint Reaper posted:

I thought Sting games were only about Dreaming of rain and flowers in the desert.

Well I guess that's one way to describe Treasure Hunter G?

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Man it certainly is a different experience playing Valkyrie Profile when I actually know what I'm doing. From what little I can recall of playing it back when it first came out I didn't know anything about skills or how to get them, didn't really understand anything about transferring folks and traits and stuff (I mean I knew I had to send folks but had no idea how to plan that out or how to improve their hero rating), I had no idea that I could get away with keeping all the artifacts I found without any real negative effects or about transmuting or anything.

I think I pretty much played through as far as I could go understanding nothing but how to equip new stuff, like a normal RPG.

Very glad I decided to sit down and play through it properly now that I actually know how.

Only questions I still have are:
Are there any useless skills or skills I should avoid getting? I know some of them are only meant for meeting transfer requirements, but among the actual combat skills are there ones I shouldn't waste points on?
Should I be pretty free spending materialization points and bonus EXP or should I save those up for important things later on?

Oh and
Should I get the normal ending before the best or just go for the best ending right from the start?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Getsuya posted:

Man it certainly is a different experience playing Valkyrie Profile when I actually know what I'm doing. From what little I can recall of playing it back when it first came out I didn't know anything about skills or how to get them, didn't really understand anything about transferring folks and traits and stuff (I mean I knew I had to send folks but had no idea how to plan that out or how to improve their hero rating), I had no idea that I could get away with keeping all the artifacts I found without any real negative effects or about transmuting or anything.

I think I pretty much played through as far as I could go understanding nothing but how to equip new stuff, like a normal RPG.

Very glad I decided to sit down and play through it properly now that I actually know how.

Only questions I still have are:
Are there any useless skills or skills I should avoid getting? I know some of them are only meant for meeting transfer requirements, but among the actual combat skills are there ones I shouldn't waste points on?
Should I be pretty free spending materialization points and bonus EXP or should I save those up for important things later on?

Oh and
Should I get the normal ending before the best or just go for the best ending right from the start?

There are no real useless skills, at worst there is still better than other stuff but you'll have more than enough points to learn everything of value on a character.
Bonus EXP is plentiful. Don't waste it on characters who you're using regularly (Lenneth) but don't hesitate to spend it on newcomers to get them up to par if you want to transfer them or whatever. Same with materialization points.

Go for the best ending first, no reason not to.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, the best ending is like the actual ending and the normal one is just a damp fart as I recall

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Is there a way to turn Star Ocean 2 into a fun game? I know a lot here like it. The story, characters, dialogue, world, towns, and music are so unremarkable and typically JRPG. Battles consist of me pressing X a lot.

Oh boy, sooner or later you'll be in a world of pain. Pressing X will only get you so far. Think back to this post the first time your entire party gets paralyzed and stoned at the same goddamn time. Getting your entire party eaten is a close second, of course.:shepface:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tae posted:

lmao

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

Well I guess that's one way to describe Treasure Hunter G?

Was that game any good? I remember playing it once but the translated copy I had kept breaking at a certain point in the game.

Also

Tae posted:

lol

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Please don't call people homophobias in this thread. Homophobe is wrong.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah, the best ending is like the actual ending and the normal one is just a damp fart as I recall
It's kind of worth just looking at the B ending on YouTube or something but you get the gist of the C ending from the A ending plus, you know, the actual ending. I do like that if you just do as you're told and don't bother to investigate anything that it basically ends with "Good job! Anyway that's all, goodbye," and a lingering sense that something isn't quite right.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I never played the PS1 version, what was the scene instead when the king of that time-travel area was being beheaded? Because the PSP version cut and paste the intro from VP2.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

good news the mana remake is coming out in english

only the smartphone version

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Isn't this the second time they're remaking that game from the ground up? Wasn't Sword of Mana for GBA also a remake? Isn't it about time for them to remake 2 or 3? Don't get me wrong I loved Final Fantasy Adventure, it was a great Zelda-like on the Gameboy with tons of exploration, hidden passages and a huge world, but maybe it's time to remake a game they haven't already remade once.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I don't think that series has any clout anymore after the World of Mana thing tanked it's reputation.

Even SaGa is getting another real shot, and everything Mana related is just some mobile thing with a Vita port as an afterthought.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Phantasium posted:

good news the mana remake is coming out in english

only the smartphone version

And the monkey's paw curls a finger.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I played a couple hours of Lightning Returns, decided I don't like it at all and decided to move onto NieR instead.

I'm glad it gave me the gameplay demo at the start there 'cuz that's all I wanted to test out before going to sleep. LR's gameplay was absolutely not my bag and put me off and I wanted to see if I'd face the same problem with Nier. Doesn't look like it. Seems simple enough.

All I'm wondering is, for the "Attack Gauge" on big/boss enemies, do you have to be precise? Because all I did here was use the L1 Attack because it makes abig wave thingy and I figured I couldn't miss the target.

Then a 1.000 year timeskip after our father and daughter sold their souls to an evil book or something. Quite a mysterious opening. Would any of this make more sense if I had played Drakengard? I thought I heard Nier continued off one of the endings so I figured that might explain the state of the world or something.

But as I said, I just wanted to test it out for later and it passed the test. Story seems promising, gameplay seems simple enough, music is decent, and that's enough for me.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Would any of this make more sense if I had played Drakengard?
Nope. Nier is pretty self-contained.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nope, it's not even set in the same world as Drakengard, it's a sequel to the super secret 'joke' ending where Caim and the dragon accidentally end up on Earth before getting shot down by jet fighters.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

Then a 1.000 year timeskip after our father and daughter sold their souls to an evil book or something. Quite a mysterious opening. Would any of this make more sense if I had played Drakengard? I thought I heard Nier continued off one of the endings so I figured that might explain the state of the world or something.

The setting is an ending of Drakengard taken to a ridiculous extreme but that event is a good half century before the timeskip and won't be mentioned for a LONG time. And even then it doesn't really affect the story being told, just the setting.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I don't even think any explicit connections to Drakengard (other than weapon cameos) exist in Nier outside of supplemental materials.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

WrightOfWay posted:

I don't even think any explicit connections to Drakengard (other than weapon cameos) exist in Nier outside of supplemental materials.

There are but if you blink at the wrong moment you'll miss them.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Expedition: Conquistador (a criminally underrated game) managed to sell 200,000 copies, which I think is really impressive. Of course how much of that is from being on sale for 5 dollars somewhere is always a question these days, but according to them it was enough that the game "successfully returned on its investment and proven fruitful for both the developer and investor." This has tied in to the announcement for an Expedition: Vikings game, which I can't wait for.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I really hope NIS sees success moving games to Steam, mostly because it would encourage other developers/publishers (Atlus :argh:) to do the same. Id kill to have all my SMT games nice and ordered in my Steam library versus spread out over 3 consoles and 2 handhelds.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Furnaceface posted:

I really hope NIS sees success moving games to Steam, mostly because it would encourage other developers/publishers (Atlus :argh:) to do the same. Id kill to have all my SMT games nice and ordered in my Steam library versus spread out over 3 consoles and 2 handhelds.

For the most part JRPGs on Steam are probably profitable enough to make porting them worth it but at the same time I'd imagine they're not quite so profitable that it'd become a huge priority and platform of importance.

I think the timing is a bit unfortunate too since Japan's new enthusiasm to port stuff is happening simultaneously with Steam being flooded by tons of low-quality games which makes it harder for individual releases to stand out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

But that isn't the issue. All the "high-profile" jrpgs had sold incredibly well. Steam having a billion piles of lovely games makes games like Tales of Zestiria and Lightning Returns stand out even more.

These aren't triple-A games. Selling 50k-100k is a huge success, especially for games that are just ports.

Valkria Chronicles sold close to 600k on steam when it was basically a commercial failure in both Japan and US.