Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah, their starting situation is pretty tough due to rebels and instability, plus their NIs suck for a Horde. If you wanted to go for forming the Mughals then maybe but if you're just looking for a Horde start to try there are a lot less frustrating ones.

Are hordes even worth it without having the Cossacks dlc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
god drat allies are dumb. doing a kazan game and uzbeck just strolled its 15 stack army past my 17 stack and moscovy's 25 stack on kazan to beeline for moscow. Then muscovy chased and destroyed right before i could get there causing me to wipe. If you had just stayed by me and attacked with me uzbeck we could have won :(

edit: haha they did it again but literally by sending just 1 and 2 stacks past kazan right into the moscovy forces over and over. why uzbeck

ImPureAwesome fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 10, 2016

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

double nine posted:

Probably not, the horde changes are paid features and radically change how they play.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

double nine posted:

People always said that hordes were pretty fun pre-Cossacks, but the changes in Cossacks are so significant and good that I'd almost see it as a necessity.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Bort Bortles posted:

I've restarted a dozen times as Kazan and I have never had Uzbek not rival Timurids, which means I can only ally with one, and I thought the best Thing To Do as Kazan was to ally both?

That's basically what trying to start a Kazan game is. You're going to have to restart a lot until you get that ideal diplomatic situation.

I know your frustration.

And looking at the 1.15 notes, I'm tempted to just wait to play again until it goes live. Those are some great changes to Estates and diplomacy.

Joopjan
Nov 5, 2009

Mr. Fowl posted:

That's basically what trying to start a Kazan game is. You're going to have to restart a lot until you get that ideal diplomatic situation.

I know your frustration.

And looking at the 1.15 notes, I'm tempted to just wait to play again until it goes live. Those are some great changes to Estates and diplomacy.

I have had pretty good success with allying timurids on day 1 and declaring war on uzbek with golden horde co belligerent on day 2. The timurids usually take care of the uzbek while you can focus all your attention on the golden horde letting you take 100% worth of warscore from both parties. Afterwards ryazan/crimea/nogai should all be a lot easier. Muscovy can be declared on during their war with novgorod and even if they declare during some of the initial wars as long as you fight on your own land they should be atleast white peacable.

TomEmanski
Dec 29, 2008
Thinking of starting a Gothic Invasion run. Is this still doable with the alliance changes in 1.14?

Also anyone have any opening strategy advice. Tried a quick game with an early war on Genoa but Austria was able to secure enough access to march its troops all the way to me. Thinking about trying to catch Crimea weak in an early war on my next attempt.

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007

double nine posted:

How fun are the Timurids to play? Their rebel problems seem undesireable...

If you are familiar with Hordes already they're great. If you are not, play Uzbek instead.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

TomEmanski posted:

Thinking of starting a Gothic Invasion run. Is this still doable with the alliance changes in 1.14?

Also anyone have any opening strategy advice. Tried a quick game with an early war on Genoa but Austria was able to secure enough access to march its troops all the way to me. Thinking about trying to catch Crimea weak in an early war on my next attempt.

I got gothic invasion a long time ago but what I did was to take Crimean land after they were beaten by the Golden Horde and then make sure to get religious rebels (send a missionary after you kill nationalists but don't fund him and lower autonomy) and let them convert you to Islam. Most of the land around you is Sunni and you can ally the Ottomans eventually. It's best to wait on Genoa because Austria marching all the way over to kill you isn't a fluke. They'll do it every time. You can either wait till they're at war with the Emperor or until they lose all their HRE land so they're no longer protected.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

Is there anyway to get my vassals in the HRE to tell the emperor to gently caress off? I tried to hold the provinces myself until he demanded it but when I gave them to my vassal he did it on them immediately anyway.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Too Poetic posted:

Is there anyway to get my vassals in the HRE to tell the emperor to gently caress off? I tried to hold the provinces myself until he demanded it but when I gave them to my vassal he did it on them immediately anyway.

Set the emperor as your rival if you haven't already, there are 3 things you can do do have vassals less likely to give up land and thats
1) make them stronger, if they have high force limits they are less likely to accept
2) make them hate the emperor
3) make the emperor much weaker, take their provinces, release nations, return cores, or even just humiliating them to weaken their prestige could cost Austria/Bohemia/whoever the throne and leave it to some minor with alliances and marriages with other electors.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Node posted:

I get the feeling Gothic Invasion is a haha funny joke achievement right now. My observations after 20 restarts:

1) Georgia is always declared on within a year by QQ and vassalized. They would be a useless ally anyways except to deter an attack from Crimea, Circassia and Gazimuhfucker hate them and won't give them military access so they could reach you.
2) Circassia is your only possible ally. Raising relations to the max with Muscovy or Poland (or Lithuania, if they don't form the union) won't even get you a royal marriage, let alone an alliance. Well, you can ally Trebizond, but that does nothing for you. They can't reach you either, and they can get eaten up by QQ or the Ottomans any time.
3) Crimea has declared war on you.

I don't mind achievements where I have to restart a few times to get the ideal conditions, like I did for Jihad, but I think the changes to this game has made this achievement exponentially more difficult than what it used to be in base/early versions of EU4. The only thing I could see is working is if somehow Lithuania did not get into a union with Poland, and was confident enough to fabricate a claim on Crimea, not be afraid of Crimea's allies (Nogai, usually) and attack them immediately, so you can go over your force limit and declare a war of opportunity. Obviously I haven't seen this happen.

Of course if anyone has any other suggestions I haven't thought of I'm willing to try them.

I've made a few goes at Gothic Invasion and the real problems are managing PLC, Muscovy and the Ottomans. There's a couple of options you can give a shot.

My general start is to always ally Circassia and Trebizond, maybe avoid a marriage with Circassia though because you're pretty short on Orthodox land to conquer nearby and you'll fight them sooner rather than later. Build to force limit, get rid of your useless galleys, ask for military access to Circassia and park your troops there.

Most of the time Crimea will just randomly declare war on you. Try to fabricate a claim on Crimea before this happens. In any case, in 1.14 they will ally Nogai usually so you can't preempt their war now but with your army in Circassia you can follow the Circassian army around and you should win versus the Crimean stack. If it's looking good, try to grab as much territory as possible and/or beat their morale-less army before they can merc up and kick your rear end. Grab Crimea and maybe Yedishkul. The safer route is to give Circassia some territory and end the war. The totally awesome gambling route is to force vassalize Crimea. Sometimes Genoa will get in the action once Crimea is at war with you and if you vassalize Crimea you get an easy 1v1 war with Genoa with no Austrians attached. If you do vassalize Crimea though, they will hate you for a long rear end time and the Ottomans might be jerkholes and support their independence (it's always a good idea to raise relations with the Ottomans anyway).

Anyway once all that is sorted out, you should be big enough to be buddies with Muscovy, who will be your buddy for a while. Your next target is Circassia, who should be easy enough to conquer. Keep an eye on Georgian territory, because QQ will eventually get poo poo on by someone in the area and that's a perfect time to jump in. If you can do it, grab some territory and then release Armenia for a same-ish religion vassal to feed to. The Golden Horde is a really easy target once you have a Muscovite alliance in place, plenty of territory to grab and share. Never annex Sunni territory early on until you've got the ideas and Patriarch Authority to convert them at a good pace. Just keep a loyal Islamic vassal on hand for it feeding.

Once you've gobbled up the local area you'll be butting heads with the Ottomans, Musovy if they get the mission to conquer Crimea and the PLC. This is the part where I usually get destroyed because having, for example, Poland and Muscovy backing you in a defensive war vs the Ottomans sucks because they just send their troops in piecemeal and you're almost guaranteed to lose.

There's another strategy where you use Trebizond as a staging point, buddy up with the Ottomans and get Military Access, invade Candar then use Kastamonu to fabricate on Constaninople and declare war on the Byzantines and try to steal the tap on the Constantinople siege when the Ottomans inevitably declare on them.

Anyway the thing about this achievement is by the time you reach the HRE, you're strong enough to start picking it apart.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Thanks for all that advice. If you take Crimea and Yedishkul, how do you deal with the eventual rebellion? Your force limit won't be high enough for it, and I'm guessing you'll have way more revolt risk than 10 so raising autonomy won't help.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Raise autonomy, hand them over to the Church estate, merc up if they are revolting soon or burn some military points on suppressing the revolt risk if you think you can hold on for seperatism to fade. Your starting leader is 2/5/4 so you can afford a little bit of military expenditure.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Why do my armies sometimes run away when my morale bar isn't empty and in fact is actually higher than the enemy's? It's pretty annoying.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Wafflecopper posted:

Why do my armies sometimes run away when my morale bar isn't empty and in fact is actually higher than the enemy's? It's pretty annoying.

Can you post a screenshot of the in-progress battle screen while this is happening? Its possible your regiments are individually routing before the morale bar on the map updates if they are beat very quickly. Do they enter a shattered retreat or do they just go to a nearby province with still full morale?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I keep butting my head against getting a good Aztec run going, but I think I'm having trouble balancing my country strength with my ability to keep the Doom level down. If I take too many provinces for myself, then Doom racks up really quickly and I wind up being unable to pass any religious reforms. If I don't take enough provinces for myself then I can't take back the vassals that get released when I pass religious reforms. This is a very interesting balancing game, I like it

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Somehow, on my last Theodoro attempt for the night, the Golden Horde attacked Crimea before Crimea attacked me. Kazan, Nogai got involved in different wars, I ended up taking Crimea and Yedishkul, and vassalizing Crimea which only has one province. I'm allied to Muscovy, Circassia, and I can get a royal marriage with Poland. However, our relations are +24/-66 for making an alliance, and I don't think the marriage will allow one. Plus, Muscovy has rivaled them. I got a huge amount of loans, but luckily I got some gold from the tribes, paying them all off and ending up with 3% inflation.

I'm not sure if I should try the alliance, wait for the Golden Horde to get involved in a war again (I can call both my allies if I promise them territory) and pounce, or wait for the unlikely case that Austria gets in such a bad war that I can declare war on Genoa and Austria won't honor the call.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

I keep butting my head against getting a good Aztec run going, but I think I'm having trouble balancing my country strength with my ability to keep the Doom level down. If I take too many provinces for myself, then Doom racks up really quickly and I wind up being unable to pass any religious reforms. If I don't take enough provinces for myself then I can't take back the vassals that get released when I pass religious reforms. This is a very interesting balancing game, I like it

How does that go in the new patch? I feel things like that and the Japanese daimyos don't really work with the new diplomacy stuff.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Is there any way at all to resurrect a nation with no primary-culture cores? Specifically, the Knights. Rhodes got annexed by Genoa really early, then the event fired to spawn them in Malta. Then Aragon lost Malta to Tunis.

edit: I have a really good Papal States game going, hoping the Knights aren't gone for good.

I haven't played much in Europe since Cossacks and I'm glad they're reworking the trust/favors stuff. It's been really boring sitting around for decades at a time waiting to accrue 1 favor every 2 years so I can call in allies, even against their rivals.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jan 10, 2016

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
So over in the MP thread we kicked off the new game, using the Europa Gooniversalis mod. There was a lot of fighting.

Apparently western Europe is in some kind of 100 Years War analogue or something?

There's still space in Europe and on the edges of the current players, so if you're down you can show up in the MP thread and ask!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I got a cossack related event, either lose a basetax in a province or start an event. Picking the event still made me lose a basetax but I got a CB, on Moldavia which is Poland's marsh who are allied to massive blob Lithuania. But fortunately I got immensely lucky with where the protestant centers had spawned and a few decades later the big war broke out and Poland had to free them after getting their asses kicked.

Naples suddenly got elected emperor, and I quickly forged a claim on them and threatened war. They caved quite easily, that can't have looked good for them. :v:

TomEmanski
Dec 29, 2008

Eej posted:

I've made a few goes at Gothic Invasion and the real problems are managing PLC, Muscovy and the Ottomans. There's a couple of options you can give a shot.

My general start is to always ally Circassia and Trebizond, maybe avoid a marriage with Circassia though because you're pretty short on Orthodox land to conquer nearby and you'll fight them sooner rather than later. Build to force limit, get rid of your useless galleys, ask for military access to Circassia and park your troops there.

Most of the time Crimea will just randomly declare war on you. Try to fabricate a claim on Crimea before this happens. In any case, in 1.14 they will ally Nogai usually so you can't preempt their war now but with your army in Circassia you can follow the Circassian army around and you should win versus the Crimean stack. If it's looking good, try to grab as much territory as possible and/or beat their morale-less army before they can merc up and kick your rear end. Grab Crimea and maybe Yedishkul. The safer route is to give Circassia some territory and end the war. The totally awesome gambling route is to force vassalize Crimea. Sometimes Genoa will get in the action once Crimea is at war with you and if you vassalize Crimea you get an easy 1v1 war with Genoa with no Austrians attached. If you do vassalize Crimea though, they will hate you for a long rear end time and the Ottomans might be jerkholes and support their independence (it's always a good idea to raise relations with the Ottomans anyway).

This is the start I was working on my follow up runs yesterday. Crimea seems to almost always DOW in the first few years so I parked my troops in Circassia and combined stacks to win the war. I took Crimea and Yedishkul; vassalized the rest. Unfortunately, Circassia drug me into another war with Georgia (felt I needed to keep the alliance intact) which depleted my army. Had a revolt in Crimean provinces shortly after Georgia occupied my capital and war exhaustion skyrocketed. Decided to quit then and fine tune my start a little more.

How hard is it to keep Crimea as a vassal? They had a liberty desire near 100 when I annexed them so felt like the independence war was only a matter of time and didn't think I had the numbers to stop them.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Too Poetic posted:

How does that go in the new patch? I feel things like that and the Japanese daimyos don't really work with the new diplomacy stuff.

It's a rough start; there's usually only 1 country that will ally you on day 1, possibly 2 countries if the web of rivalries works out. From there you have to hope that the web of alliances that forms in the next couple of months doesn't prevent you from invading one of the countries that's next to your ally, since that's the only way that they'll join your war. Within about 6 months things have solidified; declare war on someone with only 1-2 allies, use your king's awesome military prowess to wipe out their military, and repeat on whoever tries to march on your capital. Then start chasing around the single-unit stacks that form until they run out of manpower.

So realistically, the only diplomacy downside in the new patch as Aztecs is that you have to declare on someone who's next to your only ally, since you'll need to promise them land. Estates are also sort of bad for Aztecs, since you get the normal clergy/nobility/traders but you really need all of your provinces working for you with minimum autonomy in order to keep re-dominating the region.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

Is there any way at all to resurrect a nation with no primary-culture cores? Specifically, the Knights. Rhodes got annexed by Genoa really early, then the event fired to spawn them in Malta. Then Aragon lost Malta to Tunis.

edit: I have a really good Papal States game going, hoping the Knights aren't gone for good.

I haven't played much in Europe since Cossacks and I'm glad they're reworking the trust/favors stuff. It's been really boring sitting around for decades at a time waiting to accrue 1 favor every 2 years so I can call in allies, even against their rivals.

If you take Malta there's an event with a 10 year MTTH that lets you release them in Malta. You have to be at peace, be independent, and not have your capital in Malta. It only fires once per country but if you haven't had it before you're fine.

e: The bigger worry is the Livonian Order who have no primary culture cores and also no event to bring them back.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Yashichi posted:

If you take Malta there's an event with a 10 year MTTH that lets you release them in Malta. You have to be at peace, be independent, and not have your capital in Malta. It only fires once per country but if you haven't had it before you're fine.

e: The bigger worry is the Livonian Order who have no primary culture cores and also no event to bring them back.

Yeah thanks, I saw that event after my post but good to have it confirmed I can release Malta. It also will fire once for every nation that holds Malta and meets the conditions, rather than once per campaign.

Papal protip: excommunicate France, or anyone else that is scary and you're pissed at. It's a really nasty penalty early on in the game.

Edit: opening play was to beat up Provence, then I was sitting around waiting for enough Favors to call Austria into a war against Aragon when Venice got dogpiled, so I kicked them while they were down and vassalized them, which my neighbors weren't too happy about but thankfully I managed to dodge any big players joining the coalition.

Integrating my vassal Catalonia, northern Italy just left the HRE so I'm working on slowly eating them. France has been pretty static as the Excommunication modifiers have largely prevented them from snagging any significant allies.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 10, 2016

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

TomEmanski posted:

This is the start I was working on my follow up runs yesterday. Crimea seems to almost always DOW in the first few years so I parked my troops in Circassia and combined stacks to win the war. I took Crimea and Yedishkul; vassalized the rest. Unfortunately, Circassia drug me into another war with Georgia (felt I needed to keep the alliance intact) which depleted my army. Had a revolt in Crimean provinces shortly after Georgia occupied my capital and war exhaustion skyrocketed. Decided to quit then and fine tune my start a little more.

How hard is it to keep Crimea as a vassal? They had a liberty desire near 100 when I annexed them so felt like the independence war was only a matter of time and didn't think I had the numbers to stop them.

I shelved Gothic Invasion at the start of 1.14 to work on some other achievements so your experience is definitely fresher than mine. The only advantage to vassalizing Crimea is if it can pull you into a war into Genoa which lets you dominate the Crimean trade node for a nice bump in ducats. I feel like the time spent waiting out the relations penalty from war and force vassalization plus the risk of Ottomans supporting their independence just unnecessarily slows you down early game especially once you've taken Crimea and Yedishkul the rest of their territory is garbage anyway. There's no point honouring your alliance with Circassia because you're going to want to take their territory anyway since it's same religion.

Do what you can to get that marriage with Muscovy, ally them, annex Circassia, wait for your chance to annex Georgian lands. Releasing Georgia as a vassal is probably a pretty good idea since hopefully they can start converting some Sunni lands for you when you start chipping away at your neighbors. If you start taking chunks out of the Golden Horde, Astrakhan can be a useful vassal to release. Maybe in 1.15 you can hang onto a Muscovy alliance longterm without them turning on you but they almost always decide they want my Crimean territory or drag me into some apocalyptic war against the PLC which kinda sucks because they're an awesome ally otherwise.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Obliterati posted:

So over in the MP thread we kicked off the new game, using the Europa Gooniversalis mod. There was a lot of fighting.

Apparently western Europe is in some kind of 100 Years War analogue or something?

There's still space in Europe and on the edges of the current players, so if you're down you can show up in the MP thread and ask!

Is this updated for the latest patch? The steam page says it hasn't been updated since August 2014.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Fintilgin posted:

Is this updated for the latest patch? The steam page says it hasn't been updated since August 2014.

Not on Steam Workshop yet, currently in beta, it's linked to in the multiplayer thread.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dear Paradox,

If I hit "Exit to Menu", I don't want the entire client to shut down and then restart itself. That's so insane that it almost makes me wish that "Exit to Menu" wasn't an option.

Also, if I back out of starting a new singleplayer game, why does the client close and restart itself? Is that really necessary?

Thanks

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
It's a feature of random new world to prevent you from having to load a ridiculous amount of stuff every time I think. Yeah.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Also the game used to crash frequently when you did anyway. :v:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah it's more of a band-aid fix to solve all the weirdness (aka AI just straight up breaking) and crashing that would occur when the game is running too long.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The biggest issue for Paradox was that it hosed up multiplayer synching I think somehow.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

ImPureAwesome posted:

god drat allies are dumb. doing a kazan game and uzbeck just strolled its 15 stack army past my 17 stack and moscovy's 25 stack on kazan to beeline for moscow. Then muscovy chased and destroyed right before i could get there causing me to wipe. If you had just stayed by me and attacked with me uzbeck we could have won :(

edit: haha they did it again but literally by sending just 1 and 2 stacks past kazan right into the moscovy forces over and over. why uzbeck

I am messing around as Kazan as well and Uzbek really lives up to their reputation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hCCCRAcTAA

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

RabidWeasel posted:

The biggest issue for Paradox was that it hosed up multiplayer synching I think somehow.

I seem to recall my checksum changing pretty much at random.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

RabidWeasel posted:

It seems to be running as stable as it's ever been right now but I haven't played that much with this patch yet.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

RabidWeasel posted:

It did. The game was simply not as stable when you resigned and you continued on doing things. The current setup means you have to wait a few seconds more when you resign but it makes for a more solid game experience, which is A-OK in my opinion.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's just funny to me that Paradox games can have factors like whether or not its the first time the client connected to the server causing sync errors. How does that happen in a real-time game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

YF-23 posted:

It did. The game was simply not as stable when you resigned and you continued on doing things. The current setup means you have to wait a few seconds more when you resign but it makes for a more solid game experience, which is A-OK in my opinion.

Problem is it's more like "a few minutes more" for a lot of their consumers. I'm cool with them forcing you to restart for MP so you don't ruin everyone else's experience, but for SP it's pretty annoying that they don't give you a choice. Sure I've crashed a lot less since the patch, but it was probably only a half-the-time sort of deal beforehand so this seems like a pretty extreme workaround.

I'm not personally that bothered by it but some of my friends with worse computers sure are. Actually I am bothered by the fact that there's no way to quit the game from the nation selection screens so I've taken to force quitting with a task manager every time I want to quit EU4, but Wiz did mention that the UI is improved a lot in 1.15 so hopefully that'll get fixed.

• Locked thread