Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

By the way, how exactly does the concept of federal land work anyway? I mean, is it like the public library where anyone can access it any time during the hours where it's open? If you're a farmer, or a rancher or whatever, are you allowed to go in there and let your cows eat grass and such as long as the BLM permits or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAus1lXNWGU

Barrett Kaiser, of Center for Western Priorities addressing a crowd near the standoff.

Gotta love the rear end in a top hat getting up in his face asking his name repeatedly.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Hahahahaha

It's all over. Ammon Bundy has transferred the land from the federal government back to We The People. Game over.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

CommieGIR posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAus1lXNWGU

Barrett Kaiser, of Center for Western Priorities addressing a crowd near the standoff.

Gotta love the rear end in a top hat getting up in his face asking his name repeatedly.

That man was trying to steal his power by learning his TRUE NAME.

As a Millennial I posted:

Hahahahaha

It's all over. Ammon Bundy has transferred the land from the federal government back to We The People. Game over.

TL;DW please?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Hahahahaha

AHAHAHAHAH!

So he really is going full Sovereign Citizen. What a doofus.

Crain posted:

TL;DW please?

Basically: Bundy is claiming they own the land now, and that they are going through the records available on site to 'give' the land to people who are using them.

Sovereign Citizen level legal stupidity.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

CommieGIR posted:

Basically: Bundy is claiming they own the land now, and that they are going through the records available on site to 'give' the land to people who are using them.

But not to the Native American tribe that used to live on it, right?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Horking Delight posted:

Well, no, because they probably won't let cattle graze, mining companies work, and lumber companies come in.

Freedom.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

CommieGIR posted:

But I'm sure no laws were broken nor crimes committed during this, to assume otherwise is akin to a new holocaust.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Crain posted:

TL;DW please?

I already did. It's like a minute long.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Hahahahaha

claiming federal lands for themselves under force

deffo not insurrection no siree

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I already did. It's like a minute long.

Ah. ok.

I'm going to be very surprised if any actual companies take them up on offers to "break into the area". I'd like to assume mining/farming companies are smart enough not to engage these morons in business, but, well, here we are.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The intro to the Bundy video felt familiar - the flames, the font, the audio, where have I seen this before?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

McDowell posted:

The intro to the Bundy video felt familiar - the flames, the font, the audio, where have I seen this before?

White, hot, shrieking ball of rage?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjonGtrCyVE

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Condiv posted:

sure glad these shitheads get to rifle through gov computers and drive gov trucks while the fbi does nothing

They should be using the USGCB from NIST for configuring the computers. If so, noone is getting into them.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Not sure if the Col. Trautman school of conflict de-escalation is working or not, but it is providing some entertainment.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Condiv posted:

how so? 1-2 militia men pose much less of a threat than 12-20 militia men

as for feeding the militants' narrative, isn't fear of exactly that allowing them to further dig in and extend this charade? and doing nothing also feeds their narrative (the 2nd amendment is all you need to protect your rights! don't want the feds trampling your right to whatever you want? take up arms!!)

Who What Now posted:

Who gives a poo poo? Doing nothing feeds into their narrative that the federal government is weak and afraid of them, too.

There's still no reason to arrest them for it now when they can do it in two weeks with zero risk to civilians, and without feeding the oppression narrative. The oppression narrative is the one that has broader draw among their audience, and it's why the feds don't rush in.

The state can charge and arrest these people right up to the statute of limitations, which gives them years to work with. There's no reason to pursue it instantly when it risks getting people killed.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Horking Delight posted:

This would be like the one thing these assholes could do that would make me like them.

So of course they'd never do it.

General_Disturbed
Apr 7, 2005

Ride the 8=====D

Crain posted:

TL;DW please?

Essentially it's just more of Ammon Bundy yammering incoherently without any clear message, the same thing he's been doing since the siege started. He spends 2 minutes talking about how they want to take the public land to some system where "The hiker can hike, the logger can log, the rancher can ranch" basically just more of the same rhetoric they've been having about disbanding the BLM and letting the land be stripmined. Also on that page is more links to their pathetic whitehouse.gov petition they have been begging people to sign, to petition the president to release the Hammonds from jail immediately. At currently they have less than 1/10th of the signatures required to even reach the standard whitehouse.gov 'goal' for petitions.

Ammon appears to have no win condition for disbanding their militia and no clear message. But their main talking point seems to be that the BLM requires people to pay for permits to use the land for grazing and moving their cattle across, and will revoke those permits if the ranchers abuse it. So the local community essentially wants to remove the BLM to allow them to graze the land freely. They also have some vague goal of giving all the BLM managed land to the ranchers so the ranchers can auction off the natural resources, strip mine the whole place, and make a profit.

In actual 'things are happening' news last night the town held another meeting of their "Committee of Safety". This is a local city-state government system the 13 colonies used before the declaration of independence. This Committee lasted about 3 hours. They started it by asking Ammon to pack up his occupation and leave. Then spent the next 3 hours with an open mic for angry hick ranchers and militia guys to stand up and bitch about the 'gubment'. The town also is claiming this "Committee of Safety" gives them local power to call up and disband militias, which they tried to exercise against the Ammon occupation to disband it. Sadly none of these tactics of "Using their stupid constitution bullshit against them" appears to have worked as Ammon remains entrenched in the BLM buildings and continues to ignore the Sheriff, the town, and the Committee of Safety asking him to gently caress off.

At this time it appears as though the FBI and other law enforcement is content to take absolutely no action whatsoever. There are constant rumblings in the militia camp that they are going to get raided any minute,and occasionally they start yammering about how the attack is coming and take a defensive posture, but the FBI seems to just be ignoring them. People come and go freely from the camp.

There was some excitement today when a heavily armed contingent from one of the other insane militia groups showed up and started posturing. And some hilarious interactions where bundy was asking -them- to leave. And there seems to be tension between all of the different militia groups as well. A guy got up on the mic last night from one militia group to discuss how all the other groups in the area were racists and white supremacists.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Wait so have there even been any announcement of criminal charges yet? No warrants?

Also, lol at the idea that WACO and Ruby Ridge were anything but lessons in not getting into armed stand offs with the federal government. There was a reason there have been so few since then. Unfortunately the lesson learned now is that the government is more worried about PR and bad optics than dealing with armed criminals who happen to be white conservatives. Also laughable is the notion that OKC bombing was anything but a wake up call that militias shouldn't be resorting to terrorism if they want to continue existing. The entire militia movement needs public support to exist, and carrying out domestic terrorism is an instant game over for them, and they loving know it, which is why poo poo like that has yet to happen again since then.

The only reason storming in there is bad besides risking federal agent's lives (but hey guess what, there is a reason Law Enforcement agencies have equipment and training for poo poo likes this) is because it would suck for the property to suffer any more damage than it probably already has, especially since it houses native American documents. The longer these dumbasses get to do whatever they want and keep being the center of attention, the more of a threat they become in inspiring such behavior. That is far worse than these jackasses getting hurt in the process of being apprehended.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

They really need to get the local tribe in there and tell them to GTFO if that land has been returned to it's original owners. I'd love to hear them try to explain why, no, it's actually the white man's property now. :allears:

General_Disturbed
Apr 7, 2005

Ride the 8=====D

Horking Delight posted:

If you bring up or mention anything about the land going to native americans instead of the ranchers, they get -really- angry. Most of them will just tell you not to bring racism into this. That it's not about race, it's about the ranchers. The less PC ones will either start ranting about how the native americans should have fought harder for the land, or that the native americans are just seeing what karma is like now that the BLM is doing it to the white man.

The ranchers themselves will just tell you they -are- native now because their white ancestors have worked the land for 4 or so generations. I've seen more than a few ranchers declare themselves to be "native" since they've lived there for generations so it's their land now according to them, indians have no claim anymore.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

BadOptics posted:

They really need to get the local tribe in there and tell them to GTFO if that land has been returned to it's original owners. I'd love to hear them try to explain why, no, it's actually the white man's property now. :allears:

They literally did, and the response was even better than that.

quote:

"They just need to get the hell out of here," tribal council member Jarvis Kennedy told a crowd of reporters and local residents who showed up to listen to what the tribe had to say on the matter.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/06/us/native-tribe-blasts-oregon-takeover/index.html

Watch the video at about a minute in if you want to see one smug-rear end prick say "well maybe if they stood up for their rights they'd get their land back!" :smugdog::hf::downs:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

What are you expecting from people who waited a whole week and only showed up when no police crackdown was forthcoming? I think you're overestimating the significance of anyone who arrives this late in the game The only thing they're doing by showing up now is incriminating themselves, and the FBI is certainly inclined to let them. Letting reinforcements come freely also makes it super easy to slip in informants and undercover agents.

Seriously, for anyone who's wondering why the feds are acting the way they are, the Hutaree case is required reading. A high-profile militia prosecution ending in a six-month slap on the wrist or having the charges outright dismissed by a judge would lead to consequences a thousand times worse than letting them run free for a couple of years while the FBI builds an ironclad case.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Main Paineframe posted:

What are you expecting from people who waited a whole week and only showed up when no police crackdown was forthcoming? I think you're overestimating the significance of anyone who arrives this late in the game The only thing they're doing by showing up now is incriminating themselves, and the FBI is certainly inclined to let them. Letting reinforcements come freely also makes it super easy to slip in informants and undercover agents.

Seriously, for anyone who's wondering why the feds are acting the way they are, the Hutaree case is required reading. A high-profile militia prosecution ending in a six-month slap on the wrist or having the charges outright dismissed by a judge would lead to consequences a thousand times worse than letting them run free for a couple of years while the FBI builds an ironclad case.

What on earth possesses you to believe that they are actually going to round these people up. The Hutarees had illegal machine guns

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

CommieGIR posted:

AHAHAHAHAH!

So he really is going full Sovereign Citizen. What a doofus.

So wait, I thought they weren't going through the records there because that would be illegal and they were most definitely not breaking the law, nosiree. Now they're saying they have gone through things that aren't theirs, and in fact tampered with government documents, and have thus stolen the land there? Oh boy.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Didn't playing the passive game last time result in no arrests and two cops getting killed in a mall?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Here's the truth of it; political pressure has dictated the FBI's response to white militias throughout the entire Obama administration. Liberals apparently tittered and hoodwinked themselves into believing that the government is patiently building an "ironclad case." But this was always about optics. And now that the bundinos are breaking more and more laws in an increasingly flagrant manner (now culminating in rifling through government documents), it's too loving late to act without everybody in the media pretending that it was all just about a "protest" and then the government escalated.

loving backfire, moron Obama.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Horking Delight posted:

Which tribes would those be, and for how long does evidence exist that their tribe exerted ownership over the land?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

SedanChair posted:

They literally did, and the response was even better than that.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/06/us/native-tribe-blasts-oregon-takeover/index.html

Watch the video at about a minute in if you want to see one smug-rear end prick say "well maybe if they stood up for their rights they'd get their land back!" :smugdog::hf::downs:

Really dumb, but is there any significance to that guy's face tattoo?

I've just never seen anything like that specifically before and I'm curious if it's a Pacific-Northwest Indian custom I'm ignorant of or if he just came up with something really cool.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

Which tribes would those be, and for how long does evidence exist that their tribe exerted ownership over the land?

Shut the gently caress up MIGF.

There's multiple links about that situation. Some on this page even.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

My Imaginary GF posted:

That wasn't a joke. There's literally a Native American tribe (the Burns Paiute tribe, from what I can gather, but other local tribes have weighed in as well) that works with the federal government to preserve the land/cultural artifacts in the area and has worked with that specific wildlife refuge before.

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2016/01/burns_piaute_tribe_militants_s.html#incart_big-photo posted:

The Paiute Tribe once occupied a large swath of land that includes the Malheur National Wildlife refuge — archaeological evidence dates back 6,000 years — but they were forced out in the late 1870s. Before settlers arrived, the tribe used it as a wintering ground, said Charlotte Rodrique, the tribal chair.

"We as a tribe view that this is still our land no matter who's living on it," Rodrique said.

In 1868, the tribe signed a treaty with the federal government that requires the government to protect natives' safety. According to the tribe, the federal government promised to prosecute "any crime or injury perpetrated by any white man upon the Indians."

Rodrique said the tribe never ceded its rights to the land. It works with the U.S. Bureau of Land Management to preserve archaeological sites.

"We feel strongly because we have had a good working relationship with the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge," she said. "We view them as a protector of our cultural rights in that area."

About 200 people live in the Burns Paiute Reservation, located 30 miles from the refuge headquarters. The tribe owns 11,000 acres of land nationwide, Rodrique said.

The tribal council met with archaeologists at the refuge Tuesday. Tribal leaders said they're worried the militants could damage archaeological sites.

As others have pointed out, there's tons of other articles about it.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
So then, if the Tribes come up with a valid claim for having been victimized by the bundys, the government is obligated by treaty to prosecute them? That would kind of be hilarious to see, The Bundy Brothers' heads would probably explode.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Mr Interweb posted:

By the way, how exactly does the concept of federal land work anyway? I mean, is it like the public library where anyone can access it any time during the hours where it's open? If you're a farmer, or a rancher or whatever, are you allowed to go in there and let your cows eat grass and such as long as the BLM permits or what?
There are lots of types of federally owned land. National Parks, National Forests, National Refuges and National Monuments make up a huge amount of fed land and usually charge entry fees and camping fees, with a lot of it available for free as well.

Straight BLM land that's not set aside for wildlife restoration or closed for other reasons can be accessed by anybody 24/7/365 for free. You can find BLM land, drive there, and camp for up to 14 days in a single spot. Move 100 yards away and you can camp another 14 days. Totally free. You can shoot guns, ride ATVs or dirtbikes, 4x4s, hike, hoot and holler, whatever. Also BLM land doesn't fall under a lot of state laws or ordinances, for instance if there's a statewide campfire ban, it doesn't apply on BLM land.

BLM land is awesome plain and simple and everyone who lives East of Colorado doesn't know what they're missing.

BaurusJA
Nov 13, 2015

It's cruel...it's playful... I like it

My Imaginary GF posted:

Really... you're pulling western property land rights over people who intentionally small poxed the gently caress out of Native Americans? What... the .... gently caress

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

ToastyPotato posted:

Didn't playing the passive game last time result in no arrests and two cops getting killed in a mall?

The federal government still has the ability to charge everyone who committed crimes at the ranch. That they haven't been charged or arrested yet does not mean the feds aren't going to do so. The double murder has to be measured against the risks of alternative approaches, not in a vacuum.

BaurusJA
Nov 13, 2015

It's cruel...it's playful... I like it

Horking Delight posted:

That wasn't a joke. There's literally a Native American tribe (the Burns Paiute tribe, from what I can gather, but other local tribes have weighed in as well) that works with the federal government to preserve the land/cultural artifacts in the area and has worked with that specific wildlife refuge before.

As others have pointed out, there's tons of other articles about it.

I'll provide one too. Here is a critique of the nativist white bullshit MIGF seems to spew. Focuses on analyzing Stuart Banner's book How The Indians Lost Their Land and critiques it hard. This took me 5 minutes of research. Holy gently caress.
http://www.ericfoner.com/reviews/020906lrb.html

Critique of Imperialist Bullshit posted:

Ultimately, How the Indians Lost Their Land illustrates the weaknesses of a history focused on laws and ideas divorced from their social, political and military context. To be sure, Banner is fully aware that ‘formal law and actual practice could diverge.’ But this radical understatement is typical of an account that seems oddly antiseptic given the violence that always infused Indian-white relations. Banner unnecessarily plays down the role of outright military subjugation in land acquisition. ‘Much more land was obtained by purchase than by conquest,’ he writes, while providing no figures to substantiate this claim.

History tells a somewhat different story. It was the destruction of Indian forces by Anthony Wayne in the Battle of Fallen Timbers of 1794, for example, that led to a treaty transferring, for a fee, most of Ohio and Indiana to the federal government. Did the treaty represent purchase or conquest? After the Creek War of 1814, Andrew Jackson imposed a treaty on the defeated Creeks that ceded much of Georgia and Alabama, opening the door for the expansion of slave plantations in the Deep South. Discussing the removal of the Cherokees to Oklahoma from lands in the east, Banner remarks: ‘The Seminoles would follow soon after’ – an inadequate description of a war that lasted from 1835 to 1842, in which some 1500 American soldiers and a similar number of Seminoles perished. Banner is quite correct to note that even after decisive military victories, Americans went through the process (perhaps it is better to say the charade) of signing treaties that made the land transfers appear to be mutually agreed transactions. This obsession with trying to reconcile conquest with legal procedures cries out for explanation, but it should not disguise the fact that it was conquest all the same.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

So I have to wonder, if a group of Afghani Muslim immigrants did what the Bundys are doing right now, would people be saying we can't do anything about it because it might spark another 9/11?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Stop replying to MIGF you idiots.

Booourns posted:

So I have to wonder, if a group of Afghani Muslim immigrants did what the Bundys are doing right now, would people be saying we can't do anything about it because it might spark another 9/11?

There'd be dozens more attacks on Sikhs, for starters.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

The federal government still has the ability to charge everyone who committed crimes at the ranch. That they haven't been charged or arrested yet does not mean the feds aren't going to do so. The double murder has to be measured against the risks of alternative approaches, not in a vacuum.

Of course the have the ability to do so, but they didn't and they haven't, and because of their hands off approach, these dummies are now trying to instigate a new confrontation elsewhere, and also two cops were murdered because the feds let the situation grow massively toxic through the media.

The older question of how different this would be if they were Muslim ISIS sympathizers really should be brought up as much as possible because the fact of the matter is that no one would be questioning law enforcement's decision to end the situation as quickly as possibly with whatever means they had (again, damage to the refuge itself not being included here). No one would be saying that we shouldn't be putting LEO lives in danger to fight terrorists. The fact that so many people are insisting these guys are totally harmless is what is making some other people angry. They are only being considered harmless and laughable because they are white good ol' boys. The reporting and reactions to this situation would be massively different if these dudes were different looking, and that is infuriating, because no one would be questioning it then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Stop replying to MIGF you idiots.

• Locked thread