Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

CommieGIR posted:

Well, no, because they probably won't let cattle graze, mining companies work, and lumber companies come in.

Freedom.

I saw one of the interviews and most of the guys there literally don't even know Native Americans exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

ToastyPotato posted:

Of course the have the ability to do so, but they didn't and they haven't, and because of their hands off approach, these dummies are now trying to instigate a new confrontation elsewhere, and also two cops were murdered because the feds let the situation grow massively toxic through the media.

The older question of how different this would be if they were Muslim ISIS sympathizers really should be brought up as much as possible because the fact of the matter is that no one would be questioning law enforcement's decision to end the situation as quickly as possibly with whatever means they had (again, damage to the refuge itself not being included here). No one would be saying that we shouldn't be putting LEO lives in danger to fight terrorists. The fact that so many people are insisting these guys are totally harmless is what is making some other people angry. They are only being considered harmless and laughable because they are white good ol' boys. The reporting and reactions to this situation would be massively different if these dudes were different looking, and that is infuriating, because no one would be questioning it then.

You're arguing a counterfactual without evidence. The federal government has every reason to believe that the situation would be made much, much worse, and that the escalation by militia imitators would be more severe, if they used force. They believe this would happen because it has happened in the past. Waco and Ruby Ridge motivate this population far more than the current incoherent mess does. The FBI would probably react in the exact same way to Muslim ISIS sympathizers if they were occupying a similarly remote location with a similarly limited likelihood of killing people if unprovoked. The main reason the feds might use force sooner would be to prevent right wing militias from separately attacking them!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 10, 2016

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Discendo Vox posted:

You're arguing a counterfactual without evidence. The federal government has every reason to believe that the situation would be made much, much worse, and that the escalation by militia imitators would be more severe, if they used force. They know this would happen because it has happened in the past. Waco and Ruby Ridge motivate this population far more than the current incoherent mess does. The FBI would probably react in the exact same way to Muslim ISIS sympathizers if they were occupying a similarly remote location with a similarly limited likelihood of killing people if unprovoked. The main reason the feds might use force sooner would be to prevent right wing militias from separately attacking them!

Is there something other than OKC that I am missing? Because from my understanding OKC killed the collective boner of militias to play rebel. It's one thing to talk poo poo, it's another when a few of your own murder hundreds of innocent people in front of the whole country. Waco and Ruby Ridge pissed a lot of people off, but it also taught them a valuable lesson (that they probably shouldn't be directly starting poo poo with the feds because it probably won't end well.) The OKC bombing taught them that becoming terrorists was also a quick way to lose the only allies they could probably hope to gain in their anti-government crusade.

The ongoing saga of the Bundy's is doing a lot to erase the lessons of the past.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The Oklahoma City bombing's deterrent effect was limited, and generally forgotten when Obama was elected. Participants generally view McVeigh as nonrepresentative of their greivances.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Rhesus Pieces posted:

This is supposedly a list of wants from the OR militia wannabes.

I hope this is a joke. Gaming supplies? Digital camera? Mayonnaise and Miracle Whip?

BaurusJA
Nov 13, 2015

It's cruel...it's playful... I like it

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I hope this is a joke. Gaming supplies? Digital camera? Mayonnaise and Miracle Whip?

Cowboy Killers, Marb Lights, Coppenhagen chew.... whelp that sounds awfully redneck to me.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
My favorite is halfway down the first column:

quote:

Hay
Money
Markers

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

BaurusJA posted:

Cowboy Killers

Wish they'd send them a box of cow killers instead.

BaurusJA
Nov 13, 2015

It's cruel...it's playful... I like it

Lotka Volterra posted:

Wish they'd send them a box of cow killers instead.

I'd settle for just killing them.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

The Oklahoma City bombing's deterrent effect was limited, and generally forgotten when Obama was elected. Participants generally view McVeigh as nonrepresentative of their greivances.

I should clarify that I am not talking about militia recruitment when I bring up the lessons of OKC. I am talking about tactics. While it is reasonable to say OKC would never have happened without Ruby Ridge or Waco, it is even more reasonable to state that OKC's aftermath has prevented any similar tactics from being deployed since. There is a reason militias aren't bombing things and conducting mass shootings. But what is happening, thanks to the Bundy's is the allowance of a thawing in this kind of radical thinking and behavior. It used to be that militias had good reason to fear conducting any kind of open warfare with the feds or anyone else, but if the new perception of the feds is that they will not likely respond aggressively, it is going to result in a situation as bad or worse than any of the other three situations we keep bringing up over and over again. If this had been squashed at the ranch, this wouldn't be happening, and anything that happens going forward is going to be a direct result of this new passive strategy.

Here's my take. People are going to be hurt either way. The question is whether you want it to be isolated to the criminals who are arming themselves and challenging the government via their crimes and the LEO's tasked with stopping them, or if you want it to spread into another catastrophe where a bunch of innocent people get hurt or killed because crazy militia men feel emboldened. It's already gone too far and any action taken at this point is going to get innocent people hurt now imo, but we really should be looking to prevent this from getting any bigger than it is. It was out of hand when they were on that ranch.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ToastyPotato posted:

No one would be saying that we shouldn't be putting LEO lives in danger to fight terrorists. The fact that so many people are insisting these guys are totally harmless is what is making some other people angry. They are only being considered harmless and laughable because they are white good ol' boys. The reporting and reactions to this situation would be massively different if these dudes were different looking, and that is infuriating, because no one would be questioning it then.

please stop and consider that they're being considered harmless because they're visibly and obviously mentally deficient and incapable of a protest, and not because of the tendency of internet liberals to rabidly hate white rural people

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Popular Thug Drink posted:

please stop and consider that they're being considered harmless because they're visibly and obviously mentally deficient and incapable of a protest, and not because of the tendency of internet liberals to rabidly hate white rural people

no

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
do their kids all have names like "kane" bundy

"reaper" bundy

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ToastyPotato posted:

Is there something other than OKC that I am missing? Because from my understanding OKC killed the collective boner of militias to play rebel. It's one thing to talk poo poo, it's another when a few of your own murder hundreds of innocent people in front of the whole country. Waco and Ruby Ridge pissed a lot of people off, but it also taught them a valuable lesson (that they probably shouldn't be directly starting poo poo with the feds because it probably won't end well.) The OKC bombing taught them that becoming terrorists was also a quick way to lose the only allies they could probably hope to gain in their anti-government crusade.

The ongoing saga of the Bundy's is doing a lot to erase the lessons of the past.

A major component of the OKC bombing is that a lot of people finally learned how to make No True Scotsman arguments. It's why far right nonsense can be hard to get people out of once they get in. You'll get a lot of "not one of ours" or "well a real member of *movement* would never do that!"

Granted a lot of this militia bullshit isn't guys that actually want to overthrow the government but dudes that just want to feel tough and remind each other of how patriotic they are because they'd totally have grabbed a musket and fought with Washington.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Honestly, I have to call a little bit of bullshit on the whole OKC thing. Waco and Ruby Ridge were bad and the feds shouldn't do that. Did they influence McVeigh? Yes. Did they end up being his primary reason for doing what he did? Seems that way. But Waco and Ruby Ridge did not force McVeigh to go blow up a building full of people and a daycare full of kids in the middle of a city. He did that, and while it's important to be mindful of his motives and what may have led to him being radicalized, those two events were not the only things that radicalized him or led him down the path to becoming a homegrown terrorist, and some posts in this thread (mostly further back, not really this page) are all but stating that McVeigh just had to go blow up that building because the Feds were so mean to those other guys.

Waco and Ruby Ridge were awful events that everyone should try not to repeat. OKC bombing was a terrorist attack by a terrorist who used Waco and Ruby Ridge as his reason for committing mass murder on people who were not involved in those events in any way other than being employed by the Federal Government.

Furthermore, if you (general you) are so intimidated by the possibility of another horrific terrorist attack that you refuse to enforce the law when it comes to a specific group of people, or are afraid of taking actions to limit the possibility of violence and death for everyone involved, militants included, then congratulations, McVeigh won. That's the point of terrorist attacks. The only 'lesson' this and the previous Bundy standoff are teaching is that the feds will back down if you have enough guns and are willing to be terrorists to get your way (and have a lot of politicians and pundits that will yell for you, that's a bonus).

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

NathanScottPhillips posted:

There are lots of types of federally owned land. National Parks, National Forests, National Refuges and National Monuments make up a huge amount of fed land and usually charge entry fees and camping fees, with a lot of it available for free as well.

Straight BLM land that's not set aside for wildlife restoration or closed for other reasons can be accessed by anybody 24/7/365 for free. You can find BLM land, drive there, and camp for up to 14 days in a single spot. Move 100 yards away and you can camp another 14 days. Totally free. You can shoot guns, ride ATVs or dirtbikes, 4x4s, hike, hoot and holler, whatever. Also BLM land doesn't fall under a lot of state laws or ordinances, for instance if there's a statewide campfire ban, it doesn't apply on BLM land.

BLM land is awesome plain and simple and everyone who lives East of Colorado doesn't know what they're missing.

What about federal grazing land? According to the BLM website, it's $1.35 per animal per month (which sounds like a pretty loving sweet deal to me)? Does this mean if you have say, an area of land, like a 100 sq. acres, multiple people who pay the fee can all put their animals in that area? Or does the BLM provide certain areas of land only to certain ranchers?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

even though I somewhat agree with you, i wonder if you actually have real experience with "white rural people"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lotka Volterra posted:

even though I somewhat agree with you, i wonder if you actually have real experience with "white rural people"

of course not, i am an urban hipster latte liberal, which is why i am wrong all the time

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
makes sense

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Mr Interweb posted:

What about federal grazing land? According to the BLM website, it's $1.35 per animal per month (which sounds like a pretty loving sweet deal to me)? Does this mean if you have say, an area of land, like a 100 sq. acres, multiple people who pay the fee can all put their animals in that area? Or does the BLM provide certain areas of land only to certain ranchers?
Not exactly sure how it works on the rancher side, but the cows are on the same BLM land that I was talking about. Usually areas with BLM land are criss-crossed with fencing, gates, and cattle guards which are controlled by feds or ranchers according to the season and their agreements. The BLM land is actually in pockets in between existing ranches, parks, towns, and even subdivisions or National Forests. If you look up close at a BLM land map it can seem random sometimes which areas are BLM and which are private. This is kind of where the Bundy problems came from originally, it's hard to tell on the ground where exactly the lines are drawn and what is what.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

kartikeya posted:

Furthermore, if you (general you) are so intimidated by the possibility of another horrific terrorist attack that you refuse to enforce the law when it comes to a specific group of people, or are afraid of taking actions to limit the possibility of violence and death for everyone involved, militants included, then congratulations, McVeigh won. That's the point of terrorist attacks. The only 'lesson' this and the previous Bundy standoff are teaching is that the feds will back down if you have enough guns and are willing to be terrorists to get your way (and have a lot of politicians and pundits that will yell for you, that's a bonus).

That's not the lesson, that's not what the feds are doing, that's not what militia are taking from this. The feds are behaving this way specifically because the only way this turns into horrific bloodshed is if they rush in and try to breach the compound.

That's also not how terrorism works. Terrorist attacks are effective when they elicit a response that makes the instigator sympathetic to a target audience and furthers their political goals.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I think they should ignore them until they give up. Then prosecute each of them and then quietly arrest them individually at home or work.

They shouldn't be allowed to advance their narrative. But their narrative would be advanced by a showdown or a stand off. I don't think the deserve that attention. It's what they want to happen. They should be dealt with boringly. No confrontation that fits their story.

I think this shits on their goals in the most effective way.

When people talk about what they did in the future it should go like this: Yeah they took small building in the wild life refuge. Not much happened. No, `they arrested the guys six months later, I think they are still in prison.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

As a rural white person I rabidly hate you.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

BrandorKP posted:

I think they should ignore them until they give up. Then prosecute each of them and then quietly arrest them individually at home or work.

They shouldn't be allowed to advance their narrative. But their narrative would be advanced by a showdown or a stand off. I don't think the deserve that attention. It's what they want to happen. They should be dealt with boringly. No confrontation that fits their story.

I think this shits on their goals in the most effective way.

When people talk about what they did in the future it should go like this: Yeah they took small building in the wild life refuge. Not much happened. No, `they arrested the guys six months later, I think they are still in prison.

This is great until you apply this thinking to the first Bundy ranch stand off. What happens when, before they are arrested (because slow and steady wins the race), they break the law again somewhere else? Hold back and wait another 6 months?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ToastyPotato posted:

This is great until you apply this thinking to the first Bundy ranch stand off. What happens when, before they are arrested (because slow and steady wins the race), they break the law again somewhere else? Hold back and wait another 6 months?

yeah i guess if you cherry pick the worst possible example and interpret that as the precedent moving fowards, ignoring all other militia standoffs, things DO look pretty dire

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

yeah i guess if you cherry pick the worst possible example and interpret that as the precedent moving fowards, ignoring all other militia standoffs, things DO look pretty dire

Is it really cherry picking if its an example that involves the same people doing essentially the same thing?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

They didn't do anything after the first stand off. Which I think was a mistake. Methodical is the word. The follow up has to be methodical and competent.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

ToastyPotato posted:

bango skank posted:

Is it really cherry picking if its an example that involves the same people doing essentially the same thing?

BrandorKP posted:

They didn't do anything after the first stand off. Which I think was a mistake. Methodical is the word. The follow up has to be methodical and competent.

We won't know what DoJ is doing about the Bundys until they're charged- probably until they're arrested. Just because the FBI hasn't issued a press release about their investigation doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

BrandorKP posted:

And also an actual followup instead of just handwringing about possibly giving the armed terrorists a tummyache.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

BrandorKP posted:

They shouldn't be allowed to advance their narrative. But their narrative would be advanced by a showdown or a stand off.

How is their narrative not advanced when they declare themselves the victor over the federal government?

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Discendo Vox posted:

That's also not how terrorism works. Terrorist attacks are effective when they elicit a response that makes the instigator sympathetic to a target audience and furthers their political goals.

No? The goal of terrorism is to control your enemies with fear. I don't know where you got your crazy definition from.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Booourns posted:

So I have to wonder, if a group of Afghani Muslim immigrants did what the Bundys are doing right now, would people be saying we can't do anything about it because it might spark another 9/11?

Depends on whether they did it in the middle of downtown in a major city, or on federal land in the middle of nowhere.

kartikeya posted:

The only 'lesson' this and the previous Bundy standoff are teaching is that the feds will back down if you have enough guns and are willing to be terrorists to get your way (and have a lot of politicians and pundits that will yell for you, that's a bonus).

"Not getting your poo poo wrecked in a brutal raid" is not the same as "getting your way". Cliven's little standoff didn't make his legal troubles go away, and although I can't believe I have to say this, neither the government nor anyone else will honor Ammon's self-declared expropriation of the land. Also, the FBI busts anti-government militias all the time. We just don't usually hear about it because they bust real militia groups planning real attacks, not collections of random idiots spontaneously gathering to engage in civil disobedience and talk tough to the cameras.

ToastyPotato posted:

Then they get charged for both things? It isn't rocket science. It's not like a few months in prison is some super huge deterrent that'll stop them from ever making trouble ever again.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

He says it's my land now but he won't let me on it to shuffle around with an assault rifle and mean mug them like IS MY GOD-GIVEN RIGHT AS AN AMERICAN

Goddamn Marxist fascists

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

bango skank posted:

yeah when you focus on one example and ignore others that's more or less the definition of cherry picking

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

Depends on whether they did it in the middle of downtown in a major city, or on federal land in the middle of nowhere.

"Not getting your poo poo wrecked in a brutal raid" is not the same as "getting your way". Cliven's little standoff didn't make his legal troubles go away, and although I can't believe I have to say this, neither the government nor anyone else will honor Ammon's self-declared expropriation of the land. Also, the FBI busts anti-government militias all the time. We just don't usually hear about it because they bust real militia groups planning real attacks, not collections of random idiots spontaneously gathering to engage in civil disobedience and talk tough to the cameras.

Then they get charged for both things? It isn't rocket science. It's not like a few months in prison is some super huge deterrent that'll stop them from ever making trouble ever again.

And 'cordon them off so they can't move freely to resupply/reinforce/get wives and kids in to use as bullet shields then wait them out' is not the same as 'brutal raid'.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
I'm still amused at the irony that the least-prepped preppers in history took over a site whose name literally translates as 'misfortune.'

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Albino Squirrel posted:

I'm still amused at the irony that the least-prepped preppers in history took over a site whose name literally translates as 'misfortune.'

To be fair, prepping is a waste of time if you can just go get pizzas.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Jet Jaguar posted:

I don't see any of these guys carrying beef jerky or trail mix...

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-n...st-news_article

Well, they're white Christians, so it's okay! :shepface:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Jizz Festival posted:

No? The goal of terrorism is to control your enemies with fear. I don't know where you got your crazy definition from.

Then you haven't been paying attention.

kartikeya posted:

And 'cordon them off so they can't move freely to resupply/reinforce/get wives and kids in to use as bullet shields then wait them out' is not the same as 'brutal raid'.

Because cordoning them off is what they want. This has been explained several times now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Jet Jaguar posted:

I don't see any of these guys carrying beef jerky or trail mix...

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-n...st-news_article

You notice in the pictures that they're all wearing pretty light pants and cotton hooded sweatshirts. That's hilariously inappropriate for the winter out there. They must be freezing their asses off. Makes sense that all the top items on their list are cold-weather related. If you're standing in that cold all day you want a major winter coat and about 4k calories a day if you're being at all active.

• Locked thread