Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI
I've also started Victory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I managed to finish Mobile Suit Gundam today. I was zoning out during the first two movies but it really came together in that last one. That last battle was really violent, I wasn't really expecting that after Gundam Wing, especially Char's headshot :black101:

I'll move onto Zeta in a little bit, I accidentally spoiled Dublin and everything that happens there because they flew to Belfast and I looked up if the rest of the country was featured in a show, oops.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Shoehead posted:

I managed to finish Mobile Suit Gundam today. I was zoning out during the first two movies but it really came together in that last one. That last battle was really violent, I wasn't really expecting that after Gundam Wing, especially Char's headshot :black101:

I'll move onto Zeta in a little bit, I accidentally spoiled Dublin and everything that happens there because they flew to Belfast and I looked up if the rest of the country was featured in a show, oops.

don't watch the Zeta compilation movies. Unlike the original series they cut out way too much and have a completely different ending

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Droyer posted:

don't watch the Zeta compilation movies. Unlike the original series they cut out way too much and have a completely different ending

Watch it afterwards because the new scenes have really nice animation.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Azubah posted:

Watch it afterwards because the new scenes have really nice animation.

If the whole movie trilogy had been animated like the patchwork of new scenes it would have been worth watching even though they basically destroyed the plot.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Raxivace posted:

Kai grew up to be James Bond. He would never stay tied down to Fraw.

He even had his own Vesper Lynd.

And then the White Base moved onto Jaburo because Kai didn't need a whole episode of moping to get over her death.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

He even had his own Vesper Lynd.

And then the White Base moved onto Jaburo because Kai didn't need a whole episode of moping to get over her death.

Kai is basically death to everyone around him. All his friends and his lovers die.

Bright wisely tried to limit contact and Sayla got the hell out of dodge.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Insane Totoro posted:

I'm feeling nostalgic after being destroyed by Unicorn.

Can I legally stream the original Mobile Suit Gundam anywhere? I've been searching all over but is this one of those dumb Japanese "YOU MUST BUY THE DVDS" sort of situations?

Like I would gladly pay $20 to watch it all on Amazon Video or something....... Didn't think it would be this difficult to give them some money.

You can pony up $80 or whatever each for the Bluray sets, that's about it.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
So is there a way to buy the Unicorn Blu-rays with both the dub and sub? I can't seem to find them anywhere - or some places just have only a couple of them.

For example, would this (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mint-Mobile...CAAAOSwg3FUo4mp) be the set I'm looking for?

unpurposed fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 9, 2016

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Kai is basically death to everyone around him. All his friends and his lovers die.

Bright wisely tried to limit contact and Sayla got the hell out of dodge.

Bright survived being in the main cast for Zeta, double Zeta, and Char's Counterattack.

The man is a loving cockroach.

His dignity, on the other hand, will die in a light breeze.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

chiasaur11 posted:

Bright survived being in the main cast for Zeta, double Zeta, and Char's Counterattack.

The man is a loving cockroach.

His dignity, on the other hand, will die in a light breeze.

In the UC survival is everything. Judau knew the score and got the hell out of dodge.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Universal Century devolved into cannibalism because Bright wasn't around to keep everyone in check.

He had more important things to do than riding the rainbow.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Dirty Deeds Done posted:

I've also started Victory

Docker Iqq is the loving man and the best part about Victory.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Logicblade posted:

As I've said before, the thing I adore about that screengrab is that he's completely right. Dude may be a bit... uhh... eccentric, but he knows how to build a nigh-invincible death-machine.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

unpurposed posted:

So is there a way to buy the Unicorn Blu-rays with both the dub and sub? I can't seem to find them anywhere - or some places just have only a couple of them.

For example, would this (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mint-Mobile...CAAAOSwg3FUo4mp) be the set I'm looking for?

All the Unicorn BRs had both English dubs and sub on them regardless of where they were sold, only the text on the case was different. So you can buy them from overseas if you can't find them here. The set you linked was the Japanese limited editions, which cost more for a slipcase with different art over the same BR case as the regular editions.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Logicblade posted:

Space. Battleship. Motorbike.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

Space. Battleship. Motorbike.

Can't argue with results

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Living the dream

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Should be a rainbow. That Bright cannot ride on.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Should be a rainbow. That Bright cannot ride on.

I'm sure he could if he had a motorbike.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
Trying to get through Gundam SEED due to losing a bet, 30 episodes in.

Urgh. I think what's getting me more then the stuff that sucks is that the show keeps coming close to being good only to throw it all away. Kira is such a horrible black hole of a character that he drags down and ruins even the more likeable and interesting cast members when they're stuck in scenes with him.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Just finished episode 24 of Victory, nobody has died in a while. Got a sense of slowly building impending doom.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So a guy I know posted some pics which I guess are endings for the game Gihren's Greed.

Char/Casval and Sayla/whatever her real name is take over Zeon.

vs.

Garma takes over Zeon.

It just made me curious, which would have been better for the UC? I would assume Deikun's kids restore Zeon to its more democratic or republican government but loving Char is still a major player. On the other hand, I would assume Garma continues the Zabi dictatorship but we know Garma is actually a good person and would not be another Gihren and kill billions of people.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NikkolasKing posted:

So a guy I know posted some pics which I guess are endings for the game Gihren's Greed.

Char/Casval and Sayla/whatever her real name is take over Zeon.

vs.

Garma takes over Zeon.

It just made me curious, which would have been better for the UC? I would assume Deikun's kids restore Zeon to its more democratic or republican government but loving Char is still a major player. On the other hand, I would assume Garma continues the Zabi dictatorship but we know Garma is actually a good person and would not be another Gihren and kill billions of people.

Char and Sayla by a clear mile. All Char really cared about is newtypes, and at least Sayla's a half-decent person. Any Zabi comes with the baggage of the entire family infighting with eachother and he'd have a lifespan of however long it took before conflicting with Kycilia or Gihren's own plans.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Char and Sayla by a clear mile. All Char really cared about is newtypes, and at least Sayla's a half-decent person. Any Zabi comes with the baggage of the entire family infighting with eachother and he'd have a lifespan of however long it took before conflicting with Kycilia or Gihren's own plans.

It depends on Char I think. If Char allies with Sayla but doesn't get over his own issues he's a pretty terrible choice. He is a giant rear end in a top hat at the best of times and a total sociopath at the worst. Sayla can temper him somewhat but it basically depends on nothing bad enough to bring the true shitlord Char back which is a pretty big if.

In comparison Garma getting over himself actually could do a lot of good for the world but it involves Garma getting over himself. The games where Garma actually becomes a non-poo poo generally portray it as a somewhat positive situation. The shot there is basically "all the non-poo poo Zabis plus Garma hooks up with an Earthnoid."

The 'best' situation would actually be Char AND Garma teaming up because the two of them (intentionally) can temper one another's strengths and faults. Which is why part of the big tragedy of the OYW is Char killing Garma.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

That Garma screen is pretty great since from what I recall, it's a faction that arises when you (Ghiren) play your "massive shithead" hand too early and flagrantly.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
RIP Jaburo. You were the setting of one of my favorite battles in The Origin.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Icelina's bangs remind me of Audrey now.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dangerous Person posted:

RIP Jaburo. You were the setting of one of my favorite battles in The Origin.

Did you like Jerid's little insanity mantra?

Also, how are you liking the AEUG crew so far? Emma and Reccoa, specifically?

Oh and do you like Quattro any more than Char or about the same?

Sorry to bombard you with questions, it's just rare that I meet a newcomer to Zeta. I only saw it for the first time about two years ago now myself.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

NikkolasKing posted:

Did you like Jerid's little insanity mantra?

Also, how are you liking the AEUG crew so far? Emma and Reccoa, specifically?

Oh and do you like Quattro any more than Char or about the same?

Sorry to bombard you with questions, it's just rare that I meet a newcomer to Zeta. I only saw it for the first time about two years ago now myself.

Despite how much I disliked him when he first showed up (especially how he acted towards Kamille right after killing his mom) I'm enjoying Jerid. He already seems very human and his mantra while pushing his way onto the shuttle added to it.

I like the AEUG crew too, reminds me a little of the White Base dynamic but still different enough. Emma's cool but I feel like I haven't seen enough of Reccoa to really have an opinion of her. She played well off of Kai, though.

At the moment I like Quattro. I just finished reading The Origin and it's nice to not see him in a state where he's actively screwing everybody over all the time unless he's got some ulterior motive here. I like whenever he helps out my man Kamille with the robot fights.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Also Katz is a fuckboy

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well...you might want to try and desensitize yourself about Katz. He's gonna be sticking around.

Glad to hear you like Emma. She's one of the best ladies in all Gundam. And yeah I forgot you haven't seen much of Reccoa yet.

Speaking of ladies though, you're approaching the Hong Kong Arc which has another favorite Gundam female of mine in it.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Hahahahaha this is the episode with the Quattro he is a CHAR note

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Dozle looks so proud in that picture.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

ImpAtom posted:

In comparison Garma getting over himself actually could do a lot of good for the world but it involves Garma getting over himself. The games where Garma actually becomes a non-poo poo generally portray it as a somewhat positive situation. The shot there is basically "all the non-poo poo Zabis plus Garma hooks up with an Earthnoid."

The 'best' situation would actually be Char AND Garma teaming up because the two of them (intentionally) can temper one another's strengths and faults. Which is why part of the big tragedy of the OYW is Char killing Garma.

Isn't Garma's issue that he just lacks the skill for his position? And not because of any personality flaws, he just simply wasn't that good of a strategist/fighter/whatever. I remember him actually acknowledging the nepotism that got him as far as he had before he died, and one of his big motivations is trying to prove he's good enough.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kuroyama posted:

Isn't Garma's issue that he just lacks the skill for his position? And not because of any personality flaws, he just simply wasn't that good of a strategist/fighter/whatever. I remember him actually acknowledging the nepotism that got him as far as he had before he died, and one of his big motivations is trying to prove he's good enough.

Yep, he's the sole Zabi who suffers from a lack of confidence rather than an abundance of it. As I said, he's a legitimately good person who just wants to make his family proud while not overstepping himself. He could easily just coast given his birth but he'd rather be out there, showing others he deserves this.

I found it interesting he seemed especially attached to Kycillia. I wonder if she cared anything for him.

Pureauthor posted:

Dozle looks so proud in that picture.

I love this pic for a lot of reasons and Dozle's big grin is one of them.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jan 10, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

All Char really cared about is newtypes

By the end of First Gundam he's going on insane rants about wanting newtypes to replace oldtypes as the dominant species. Char in charge of Zeon would be terrible, they'd just start another war against the Federation within a decade.

(That said, he might be less insane if Zeon wins the war early and he doesn't spend it getting his rear end kicked by Amuro while murdering the Zabi.)

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I think we know that Char and Sayla are just the figureheads in that picture with Ramba Ral being the true power behind the throne.

Also I've always wondered if Sayla revealing her true past would have helped temper some of the Zeon rebellions that occurred after the One Year War.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jan 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Ethiser posted:

Also I've always wondered if Sayla revealing her true past would have helped temper some of the Zeon rebellions that occurred after the One Year War.

She does in The Origin (she's instrumental in the victory at Solomon, because she breaks into the fortress and starts a civil war between the Deikun and Zabi factions), so I guess we'll find out what Bandai thinks if they do a Zeta retelling like they were planning to at one point.