Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

NESguerilla posted:

From what I watched of it it's pretty much every unwatchable sander movie but they are wearing cowboy hats and being culturally insensitive to native Americans. Otherwise it's p much grown ups levels of bad.

Oh, now I remember. This is that movie where all the Native American extras walked off the movie because of how racist it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

ChickenMedium posted:

Oh, now I remember. This is that movie where all the Native American extras walked off the movie because of how racist it was.

I've always said Adam Sandler is about as funny as racism.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
So I was bored today and I saw Lee Daniels' The Butler was on Netflix so I decided to watch it.

Overall I'd say it's a pretty good movie. I remember a lot of people criticizing it for trying to downplay the Civil Rights movement, but what it's really about is the Civil Rights experience from a middle class black perspective. Cecil Gaines grew up as an Alabama sharecropper and saw his father murdered right in front of him. This instilled in him a sense of caution about directly opposing the white man. At the same time, he fights to get his children a better life, and by the time the film really kicks off he has a comfortable middle class house in DC (his wife is Oprah).

While he's generally the perspective character, we're clearly not meant to sympathize with him. He is set in his ways, and this leads him to fight regularly with his son, Louis (David Oyelowo, who is MLK in Selma ). Louis is the character that we most often identify with throughout the film. Early on, he questions why there's not a single white student at his high school graduation. He eventually joins up with the Freedom Riders (and is attacked there), is jailed multiple times, and eventually joins the Black Panthers. Comparisons can be drawn to Jenny from Forrest Gump, but he takes a very different track. While he does leave the Black Panthers because he finds them too extreme, he never really gives up his rebellious spirit, eventually being jailed again in the 80s for protesting apartheid.

Being that this is set in the White House, there must be some discussion of the Presidents. In general I would say they're trying to get the tone of the Presidents off first, and then make them not look too bad. Robin Williams as Eisenhower is the only one that kind of breaks this trend, but James Marsden as JFK and Lieb Schreiber as LBJ definitely get their personalities across. A special mention to John Cusack as Richard Nixon, who gets his scumminess across early on as Eisenhower's VP, and then later on as he's drunk on the couch during Watergate. Last but not least, it's really interesting how the right haircut can make Alan Rickman seem like Ronald Reagan from a distance (although the accent kind of poked through).

If I had criticisms about this film, it's primarily at the beginning. We get this extended look at Cecil's past, including his father getting shot and his mother getting raped, which later leads her to be "sick in the head" (as he put it). This is accompanied by a voice over which is basically Cecil telling you how he felt. I get that it was kind of hard to get the point across, but it felt very lazy, even though other voiceovers in the film weren't nearly as jarring. We kind of know who Cecil is by the time he gets tapped for the Butler position, at least as much as any of the other black butlers.

In summary: The Butler is a story about a conservative black man struggling with his fears of the past and experiencing the tumultuous change that occurred in our nation 50 years ago. 8/10

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I got around to watching Black Mirror's White Christmas and holy cow that is my new favorite Black Mirror episode. Dark sci-fi done right, each of the three vignettes was on point.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

computer parts posted:

So I was bored today and I saw Lee Daniels' The Butler was on Netflix so I decided to watch it.

What was the timeline in the Butler, anways? It seemed like by the time he was on old dude, he had been around for like 200 years.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

What was the timeline in the Butler, anways? It seemed like by the time he was on old dude, he had been around for like 200 years.

He was apparently born sometime before 1926 (Wikipedia says he was 7 then, so 1919) and the final shot of the movie is right around Inauguration Day, 2009. So dude is right around 90 at the end of the movie.

Also the thing about his wife dying right before the election actually happened to the guy that this movie is based off of, which sucks.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Mojo Threepwood posted:

I got around to watching Black Mirror's White Christmas and holy cow that is my new favorite Black Mirror episode. Dark sci-fi done right, each of the three vignettes was on point.

Yeah I really liked it. Jon Hamm owns.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Bone Tomahawk (Amazon Prime) did what I thought was impossible - made me like Matthew Fox. :monocle:

It's a drat fine slow-ish little movie. Really surprised there isn't more discussion about it, since Kurt Russell and all.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Not sure if this had been posted yet but enjoy.

http://whatsonnetflix.com/netflix-hacks/the-netflix-id-bible-every-category-on-netflix/3/

Easy way to do a ctrl-F search for whatever type of category you can think of for netflix.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

precision posted:

Bone Tomahawk (Amazon Prime) did what I thought was impossible - made me like Matthew Fox. :monocle:

It's a drat fine slow-ish little movie. Really surprised there isn't more discussion about it, since Kurt Russell and all.

Agreed. There was some great, gnarly gore too.

Have you seen the Fassbender western Slow West, also on Amazon Prime? I really liked that. $2 budget but the cinematography was breathtaking.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

precision posted:

Probably not more discussion since it's turrible.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

That Works posted:

Not sure if this had been posted yet but enjoy.

http://whatsonnetflix.com/netflix-hacks/the-netflix-id-bible-every-category-on-netflix/3/

Easy way to do a ctrl-F search for whatever type of category you can think of for netflix.

I miss when they had these goofy categories on the front page.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Probably not more discussion since it's turrible.

This is not the time for womanly imaginings

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
Found a pretty good search engine for the various Netflix regions: http://unogs.com/
It has links to imdb, RT and trailers.

Looks like tonight's movie will be The Imitation Game (available in Canada)

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
Tom Segura's new special is up and it's solid.

Mr. Toodles
Jun 22, 2004

I support prison abolition, except for posters without avatars.
I really enjoyed "Uncle John" on Netflix. It splits time between a small town rancher/handyman and his nephew who lives in Chicago. Part of the appeal for me was there were really solid performances from actors that I didn't know of before this movie, some of the shots were beautiful, and the way the story played out was pretty satisfying. I also liked the small town life versus big city life portrayal. It can be slow at times, and some of the parts that felt a little superfluous, but on further reflection help build a connection with the audience and the characters. I want to have a deeper discussion about this, but I'm not sure what to put in spoiler tags, and what not, and how to talk about some of the minutiae without it sounding ridiculous.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

HBOGO has Mad Max: Fury Road if you somehow are on this forum and haven't seen it yet.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

HBOGO has Mad Max: Fury Road if you somehow are on this forum and haven't seen it yet.

Not seeing it in theaters is a crime. Not owning it is also a crime.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

X-Ray Pecs posted:

It's not like any episodes are stinkers (except possibly Charlie and Dee Find Love), so you should just watch them all. Some personal episode recommendations would be:
The Nightman Cometh (and its precursor Sweet Dee's Dating A Retarded Person)
The Gang Gives Frank an Intervention
The Gang Gets Invincible
The Gang Solves the Gas Crisis
A Very Sunny Christmas
Paddy's Pub: The Original Home of Kitten Mittens
The Gang Gets Extreme: Home Makeover Edition
The Gang Buys A Boat (The Implication in this episode is essential to understanding who exactly Dennis is)
The D.E.N.N.I.S System

Charlie Got Molested is one of my faves, Mac having a nervous breakdown because he wasn't molested was comedy gold. It was also the only good McPoyle episode, featured Dennis and Dee arguing about the merits of a completed psych minor vs an uncompleted psych major, and had the most uncomfortable intervention in TV history.

Also Dennis and Dee Go On Welfare belongs on the list.

Filthy Hans fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jan 10, 2016

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Filthy Hans posted:

Charlie Got Molested is one of my faves, Mac having a nervous breakdown because he wasn't molested was comedy gold. It was also the only good McPoyle episode, featured Dennis and Dee arguing about the merits of a completed psych minor vs an uncompleted psych major, and had the most uncomfortable intervention in TV history.

Hold on here. The Gang Gets Held Hostage is an amazing McPoyle episode.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Filthy Hans posted:

It was also the only good McPoyle episode,
The Gang Gets Invincible is bad?

As far as stinkers go, I have no urge to ever rewatch Frank's Brother.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jan 10, 2016

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Ok, ok, it's the only good McPoyle episode that I remember, I shouldn't say that the rest were bad simply because I don't remember them

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Lycus posted:

The Gang Gets Invincible is bad?

As far as stinkers go, I have no urge to ever rewatch Frank's Brother.

Your av reminds me that Sweet Dee Has a Heart Attack is another great episode, and the Pepe Silvia bit is one of my favorites in the whole show.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
I don't know why but Chardeemacdennis, the Game of Games, is one of my all time favs.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
How do people watch different regions of Netflix and is it a okay thing to do?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Unzip and Attack posted:

I don't know why but Chardeemacdennis, the Game of Games, is one of my all time favs.

I love it too, probably because it's one of the few times the gang is completely self contained in being odd and unpleasant without anyone else getting caught up in it.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Unzip and Attack posted:

Good news then, it makes a comeback in the first episode of the season that just started last week.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hollismason posted:

Awhile ago Netflix themselves said they don't care IIRC, but now that it's known that Hola is unsafe to use I don't know how people are doing it for free. I don't believe there is a free thing like Hola, because I think the reason Hola is unsafe is that there's no way to have it work like Hola does and also be safe? :iiam:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Yeah, I read up on it then saw they didn't really care and saw Hola then saw that it was a really lovely program and unsafe.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

precision posted:

Awhile ago Netflix themselves said they don't care IIRC, but now that it's known that Hola is unsafe to use I don't know how people are doing it for free. I don't believe there is a free thing like Hola, because I think the reason Hola is unsafe is that there's no way to have it work like Hola does and also be safe? :iiam:

Hola is unsafe because they sold people's IPs for DDOS attacks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anybody see any entertaining horror/thriller stuff that was recently put up? I've seen most things that have been on Netflix more than a month. looking for something fun to watch today.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
If you're interested in Slow Learners watch the first 30 minutes for the funny then turn if off because it just spirals into boring rom-com territory.

Also, Charlie Work on Sunny was something else. Lived up to the hype.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Hollismason posted:

https://www.smartflix.io/

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Thanks for this. There's a ton of stuff I've been wanting to watch available using it.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I am that one person! Thank you, HBO Go. Very fun.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Since this uses the Netflix webplayer for it's content, does anyone know if Netflix is still limiting it's webplayer to 720p and lower? They used to do this because of fears of piracy (because pirates will only accept 1080p apparently), but I'm curious if that's still happening.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Does anyone know what happens if you're watching a film at the time it leaves Netflix? Only found time to start watching this 90 minute film at 11pm, and it disappears at midnight :ohdear:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Allyn posted:

Does anyone know what happens if you're watching a film at the time it leaves Netflix? Only found time to start watching this 90 minute film at 11pm, and it disappears at midnight :ohdear:

Watch and find out :shrug:

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Chichevache posted:

Watch and find out :shrug:

Well I was hoping someone might know in case it would kick me out & leave me having seen 2/3 of a relatively obscure film with no way to finish watching it :shobon: But yeah I went ahead, risked it, and it let me watch to the end even though it's now past midnight & can no longer be found in the search, so that's good to know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Allyn posted:

You're messing with things beyond your comprehension man! Don't do it, for the love of God, don't do it!

e: Oh poo poo you did it. Now you're stuck in this timeline, sorry man :(