Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

ImpAtom posted:

A lot of items you will get just by normal play. I was able to make a good chunk of high-end augments just by random poo poo I had lying around.

Probes are the way to make money. Find a spot with high-value landmarks, and build a resource probe nest around it.

As far as your skills: They all top out at 5. Once you it level 4 you have to do a special quest called Off The Record for each which unlocks level 5. It should be on the BLADE board.

I don't mean augments. I can make a few of those through random play. I'm talking specifically equipment. I've never had the bits to just make one, I have to buy them each time.
Your guide about appendages before shows why since I'm not randomly killing stuff and blowing off arms and legs. It's just a strange choice. Very JRPG I guess.

And I know that, I'm actually asking for specifics. Is there anywhere that's "known" to be good or is it randomly determined and I have to find it myself? I find using the Wii U remote tedious and the screen isn't sensitive enough so it takes me loving forever.

Thanks for the information about the quest. I had no idea. Another one I'd have completely missed, so annoying. This game seriously lacks breadcrumbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

Taear posted:

And I know that, I'm actually asking for specifics. Is there anywhere that's "known" to be good or is it randomly determined and I have to find it myself? I find using the Wii U remote tedious and the screen isn't sensitive enough so it takes me loving forever.

I've been following this setup for my probes. If you have a Skell you can get a lot of these filled out even without the flight mod if you've been diligent in finding field treasures.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Chaltab posted:

There a so many jokes that could be made.

Shut yo' mouth.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Vanrushal posted:

I've been following this setup for my probes. If you have a Skell you can get a lot of these filled out even without the flight mod if you've been diligent in finding field treasures.

Now that's an impressive guide. I really wish I could reverse the ones I'd already set now!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Taear posted:

Now that's an impressive guide. I really wish I could reverse the ones I'd already set now!

You can change your probes at any time provided you have the cash. They are never permanently used up.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Where do you get the blueprints for the weapons and gear that show up as ??? in the Develop New Gear menu?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Ometeotl posted:

Where do you get the blueprints for the weapons and gear that show up as ??? in the Develop New Gear menu?
You get a stack of level 30 skell gear and all the ground armor after chapter 12. You find level 50 skell gear in level 5 treasure chests. You get level 60 skell gear from affinity missions (and I think a few scattered around at the end of high level side quest chains?). You get level 60 weapons from high level humanoid drops, but they all seem modifier-less and literal trash.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Taear posted:

Also can someone give me a few pointers on making money? I have quite a few probes out and about and many spare but it's so tedious to click through all those probes to see where I can place.

Do you have the flight pack? A level 50 Skell? A Phoenix? If so, at the divine roost in Noctilum, inside the flower is around 20 level 60 Blattas. Slap on a few Insectoid Slayer XX Augs, then Nuke them with AOEs. Be aware that there is a level ~90 tyrant version, but its a wimp for the most part. If you have treasure sensor gear on your NPCs you'll be able to sell the drops for ~100k per run, and each run only takes around a minute (mostly going through all the loot drops). Its a late game thing, but I found it works.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ashsaber posted:

Do you have the flight pack? A level 50 Skell? A Phoenix? If so, at the divine roost in Noctilum, inside the flower is around 20 level 60 Blattas. Slap on a few Insectoid Slayer XX Augs, then Nuke them with AOEs. Be aware that there is a level ~90 tyrant version, but its a wimp for the most part. If you have treasure sensor gear on your NPCs you'll be able to sell the drops for ~100k per run, and each run only takes around a minute (mostly going through all the loot drops). Its a late game thing, but I found it works.

I'm only level 37 unfortunately.

I didn't know that I could remove probes and put them back so I guess it's time to go mad! I don't have all of them since until I asked here I didn't know how to get to Mechanics 5 but now I should be able to. Hurrah!

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Are there any good ways to power level? Like, any places to take your skell team and a level 60 scouted player and fight monsters you shouldn't be able to for Big Gains?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Are there any good ways to power level? Like, any places to take your skell team and a level 60 scouted player and fight monsters you shouldn't be able to for Big Gains?

The Joker in the Divine roost.

He's located in the big flower itself along with 12 other level 60 bugs. Just wiped them all out and you get like 1-2 scout levels per fight as well as 3 regular levels for a character.

Alternatively the level 81 simius located right outside the eastern gate or the chimera.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 10, 2016

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

The Taint Reaper posted:

He's located in the big flower itself along with 12 other level 60 bugs. Just wiped them all out and you get like 1-2 scout levels per fight as well as 3 regular levels for a character.

Alternatively the level 81 simius located right outside the eastern gate or the chimera.

Would those be ok for someone around level 32 to do?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

Where is that?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

The Divine Roost is the northern part of Noctalim that you can only reach by flight.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

That wont really help me yet, I can't fly yet.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
I really need to get used to the new status quo in my game since I got infinite overdrive and blossom dance. I need to remind myself that anything I can fight on ground level I can beat with ease. Going to have to go teach those Xe-Doms a lesson.

Anyone know when the Wanderer King spawns? I've been through its cave before but it wasn't there. I've only just gotten past chapter 10, if that helps.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

That wont really help me yet, I can't fly yet.
There's an island in "NLA waters", sorta southwest of Noctilum and west of Primordia. Its got a bunch of level 55 blattas and is like the Joker spot without flying or the Joker. Stack insectoid exploit augments and bring a Phoenix back weapon.

e. probably one accuracy augment too, or enough until you start hitting them

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

zedprime posted:

There's an island in "NLA waters", sorta southwest of Noctilum and west of Primordia. Its got a bunch of level 55 blattas and is like the Joker spot without flying or the Joker. Stack insectoid exploit augments and bring a Phoenix back weapon.

e. probably one accuracy augment too, or enough until you start hitting them

If he can't fly yet chances are he doesn't have Phoenix.

Am I the only one surprised by the disparity between the main questline and the sidequests? I mean the main quests are awkward and badly written and holy poo poo shut the gently caress up Lin and Tatsu and stop being mysterious Elma, meanwhile the Prone and Orphe are bundles of joy and I'm getting tons of hoodies and turtle necks and silly display holograms.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Stuff like that tends to come from a variety of individual writers with smaller budgets and less oversight than the big important story beats of a game, its not exactly a big mystery.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Stuff like that tends to come from a variety of individual writers with smaller budgets and less oversight than the big important story beats of a game, its not exactly a big mystery.

But it's kind of ridiculous how Xenoblade's story was so good and this game with Luxaar essentially being an incompetent Saturday morning cartoon villain and Elma telegraphing the hell out of whatever her deal is plus the unending Tatsu/Lin interactions make the story really lovely.
I mean I can remember the original Xenoblade having a ton of cool, memorable story moments and characters like the intro, Colony 9 getting hosed, Fiora, Metal Face's appearance, Xord, Sharla going postal on Mechons, meeting Melia, meeting Rikki, and so on and so forth. I'm pending to start Chapter 11 and all I can remember is uh, the bit in Chapter 5, getting the flight module in Chapter 9 (which I admit was really, really well done), and Zu Pharg. That's all.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Calaveron posted:

But it's kind of ridiculous how Xenoblade's story was so good

Let's not go too crazy, now.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

kirbysuperstar posted:

Let's not go too crazy, now.

Ok, let's go with it having a decent story that was very well executed, supported by its incredibly inventive setting.
(I'm not disparaging XCX's settings as they are twice as pretty as XC's but man having the game take place on the body of two giants was really cool)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Xenoblade's plot had incredible stamina if nothing else. It wasn't terribly ambitious content-wise, but it managed to sustain itself for a full 100+ hours without any serious gaps or plot missteps, and with a lively and varied cast to boot.

Boy, I sure do wish its successor was even a tenth as good on that front.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

xenoblade's story wasn't bad but i wouldn't call it much more than decent and shulk and fiora were black holes of personality so the ending focusing only on them was boring

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Cake Attack posted:

xenoblade's story wasn't bad but i wouldn't call it much more than decent and shulk and fiora were black holes of personality so the ending focusing only on them was boring

Shulk had a personality, but it was a burning desire for revenge. Once that was resolved, his interests turned into trying to fix things between both groups, which was kinda lowkey.
Fiora yeah I agree, her personality was too much fixated around Shulk and that's boring.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Xenoblade had that whole awful Evil Chancellor/Usurper storyline in High Entia that was just The Worst.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

Xenoblade had that whole awful Evil Chancellor/Usurper storyline in High Entia that was just The Worst.

Oh God, yeah, Alcamoth was a screeching halt to the plot that really didn't need to exist.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Where are the Cooking Schooled recipies?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Calaveron posted:

If he can't fly yet chances are he doesn't have Phoenix.
I'm talking about a level 30 Phoenix, if I remember right just sold from the shop. Even if they are level 55 they are only blattas and the hardest part is probably going to be getting an accuracy mod to hit them with the level difference.

I think even Joker runs can be done with a level 30 Phoenix and a level 30 gravity buster if you have enough insectoid exploits. The farmable Phoenix everyone talks about is for end game aoe grinding, not the actual grinding up to 60.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

Honestly I'd say everything between Colony 6 to Seven joining is kind of tedious and dull and there's a good chunk between Seven joining and the Mechonis Core which isn't much better.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

How do skell augments work? If I put an augment in one weapon, does it only effect that weapon or all weapons equipped?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

How do skell augments work? If I put an augment in one weapon, does it only effect that weapon or all weapons equipped?

All weapons. That is why you can layer a hilariously amount if augments onto your Skell to just make everything explode.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The exception is for "custom" augments. those only effect the item they're placed in.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Where are the Cooking Schooled recipies?

Outside the grocery place on Founder's St, west of the church fast-travel point, aaaand I cant remember the third.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I know it's a tired old joke, but the idea of slapping a bunch of hams on your giant space sword making it hit better still amuses me.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Outside the grocery place on Founder's St, west of the church fast-travel point, aaaand I cant remember the third.

Last one is on the hangar level, in the northwest corner if I remember right.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chumbler posted:

Last one is on the hangar level, in the northwest corner if I remember right.

Oh yes, the Bay between Irena and the Murderess.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Taear posted:

Where is that?

Divine roost is located at the Northern part of Noctilum, you need a flying unit to get there.

Would those be ok for someone around level 32 to do?

I hired a bunch of guys to help me kill the Chimera and it boosted me to around level 50 or so after a few fights. The Simius I took down with three hired 60 ether blossom guys as well. I just kept resetting the boss after he died. It doesn't matter if you die you'll still get exp. I would say if you're level 30 start planning for an ether blossom build because it doesn't take 15 minutes to reach 50 if you have 3 other scouts killing poo poo for you. Go to Chimera for your primary weapon then kill the Simius or the joker for your other gear. You can try to down the level 92 milesaur but YMMV because she has a ton of HP. The Regular ones are just slightly less of a pain in the rear end and I really only started killing them after I got an Ares 90.

just remember to wear exp boosting gear.

*edit* Another easy way is to kill those level 58-88 big rear end blue dudes in the lake in Sylv. They drop good gear+ a ton of EXP

but the level 88 one doesn't spawn unless it's a red aurora. You also risk aggroing the others because the red aurora makes all of them pissed off. There's a lone level 75 on an island but it takes forever to swim there w/o a skell.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jan 11, 2016

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Well, I have the Flight Unit now (which is really fun), so now I can get to any area I want.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Well, I have the Flight Unit now (which is really fun), so now I can get to any area I want.

Then kill the Joker until you're level 60

he's the easiest of easy. Use Pheonix and G-buster to make it cake. Just remember to switch your skill trees up when you max out. You'll breeze right through them with joker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I don't know, I just tried it and Joker beat me pretty easily. I have phoenix and g buster and my best insectoid augments on.

• Locked thread