Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Serf posted:

The fact that I can understand Luke Crane perfectly is highly upsetting to me.

I have to give him credit for sticking to what amounts to a performance art piece on a campaign to raise money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

jivjov posted:

I have to give him credit for sticking to what amounts to a performance art piece on a campaign to raise money.

I can't tell how many people might have donated to the KS despite the schtick, or because of it.

Serf
May 5, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I can't tell how many people might have donated to the KS despite the schtick, or because of it.

I know I donated in spite of it. I've heard a lot about Burning Wheel but I've never read it, and a friend of mine tells me the books are gorgeous, so just having copies of them is incentive enough despite his pretentious writing.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
If I donated -because-, it'd only be because I am reading all the updates as I suggested earlier in the thread, and hearing them being read aloud by Dr. Orpheus in my head.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah; I'm bemused by the whole florid language thing, but if it wasn't for the fact that this is Burning Wheel up for funding I would have given it a pass because of the pretension.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm in the "in spite of" camp; I just want the content I couldn't get otherwise.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

moths posted:

I hope there's a stretch goal for an English language edition.

:vince:

Kinda sad to see the spiders go. I've read the previous rules for the dark elves, and they didn't strike me as all that interesting. Oh well, still going to pledge.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Just so we're clear, when y'all say "spiders" do you mean like actual spiders? Giant or otherwise? Because not getting the rules for playing actual spiders is a travesty.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Yeah, the Monster Burner has rules for playing as Giant Spiders (like Shelob), but they're currently not going to be in the Codex.

Edit: here's an official extract showing the (slightly obsolete) rules from MB

inklesspen fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 8, 2016

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Evil Mastermind posted:

In non-obfuscated kickstarter news, this looks like an interesting solo game. It's hit all its reasonable-looking stretch goals.

Victory Point's also a really legit operation. Good quality on their retail stuff. They're the guys who do Darkest Night and a bunch of wargames and stuff.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

In non-obfuscated kickstarter news, this looks like an interesting solo game. It's hit all its reasonable-looking stretch goals.

I'm a backer at the $1 level for now, had a group buy going but some people backed out. That Canadian dollar is making it hard to commit alone, but I think I will give in eventually.

The company is very solid and the designer seems solid but I have no first-hand experience with him.

e: Echophonic and I are in fact different people.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Nemo's War also got me to give group-buying a try. Another KS I'm interested in is Button Shy Games' Avignon: A Clash of Popes, a 2 player micro-game where each player attempts to pull people into their congregation while trying to minimize pushing people into their opponents' as they vie for the papacy in the 14th century.

They're also letting people add on some of their earlier wallet games (i.e. micro games they pack in a wallet).

The international shipping is pretty bad compared to the game price, so I'm also trying a new thing by having my brother in the US hold the games until we get to see each other again. Also took the opportunity to order some of those games as gifts for him.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

In news that isn't whatever the hell a Burning Wheel is, someone is making 15mm Cold War BAOR and VDV infantry and armour, which could appeal to anyone who just picked up Team Yankee. It's already funded, has greens, CAD images and 3D prints, so already in the upper half of minis projects.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Scarred Lands is getting an update to Pathfinder and 5th edition.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Terrible Opinions posted:

Scarred Lands is getting an update to Pathfinder and 5th edition.

Why the hell are they even doing a Pathfinder edition of Scarred Lands? I can't imagine it would involve any amount of effort to use the original books in PF.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The ability to start selling a line of books again? I honestly hope this leads to new content and cleaning up some of the stupider things originally in the line.

edit: I should note not getting rid of the gloriously stupid things like the goblin made of smaller goblins, but the things where something clearly was just not thoguht out.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Can someone give a rundown on the Scarred Lands? The premise seems interesting but what was it good at? It just doesn't seem that different from other settings other than being somewhat post apocalyptic.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

jivjov posted:

Yeah; I'm bemused by the whole florid language thing, but if it wasn't for the fact that this is Burning Wheel up for funding I would have given it a pass because of the pretension.

Yup. This campaign isn't convincing anyone new, and I don't think it's about that. It's the equivalent of when he would take preorders on his own site.

As for the spiders, they were cool, but I'm not sure anyone actually played them.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
You aren't a giant spider IRL?

Anyone else here who is a human, please raise a pedipalp.

Serf
May 5, 2011

If the choice is between having rules for playing as giant spiders or not having those rules, the latter choice is clearly the inferior one.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Giant Spiders as PCs should always be included for all 5-6 people who remember Cenotaph Road.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Giant Spiders as PCs should be included if you're making a Middle-Earth RPG that lets you play Sauron's forces. :v:

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Giant Spiders as PCs should be included if you're making a Middle-Earth RPG that lets you play Sauron's forces. :v:

I am really surprised that there hasn't been an apoc world hack where you are all the scheming minions of Morgoth.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Giant Spiders as PCs should always be included when the other PCs are a Ratling named Templeton, a Human named Fern, and an Orc named Wilbur.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Fate More kickstarter launched a few hours ago. It looks like the backer rewards are going to be pretty straightforward: $10 gets you all the PDFs they're doing for this project, each hardcopy you want will cost you $20 and still get you all the PDFs.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Well yeah, considering the other races are wargs (with lifepaths for being ridden by orcs) and trolls, and the main book already has orcs, I think that was exactly 100% what he was going for when he made the monster burner way back when.

Josef bugman posted:

I am really surprised that there hasn't been an apoc world hack where you are all the scheming minions of Morgoth.

Burning Wheel has always been the best game for playing the silmarillion-y parts of Tolkien. No AW hack necessary.

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 12, 2016

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

The first stretch goal for Fate More is up, and it's the Majestic 12 sourcebook for Atomic Robo! Go back!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tsilkani posted:

The first stretch goal for Fate More is up, and it's the Majestic 12 sourcebook for Atomic Robo! Go back!

Also the original Fate Core KS just sent out the layout-and-text-only version of Young Centurions.

I know it's been said before, but man Evil Hat has been doing these projects amazingly well. It's been over two years since the Fate Core kickstarter and they're still getting stuff out at a pretty good rate.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Jimbozig posted:

Burning Wheel has always been the best game for playing the silmarillion-y parts of Tolkien. No AW hack necessary.

Probably from a mechanics point of view, but in the "amount of dice and keeping peoples attention" ratings I am not so sure.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Got my kickstarted copy of Spaceteam, looks pretty neat, can't wait to give it a try.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
For the new fate Kickstarter it's kind of lovely that I have to back content a second time to get new content I actually want.

Especially since I didn't care about about venture or do the first time around...

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Demon_Corsair posted:

For the new fate Kickstarter it's kind of lovely that I have to back content a second time to get new content I actually want.

Especially since I didn't care about about venture or do the first time around...

If you mean the Majestic 12 book, I'd imagine that it'll be available after the kickstarter.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Demon_Corsair posted:

I'm pretty sure that you'll get at least $10 worth of new PDFs out of the PDF tier by the time it's done unless you're extremely picky, and if not, you can probably get them separately afterwards. And AFAIK the print book tiers are all pick your poison. Or at least, that's how they ran their fiction line KS, which is the only time I've gotten print books from them.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Demon_Corsair posted:

You could just buy it after it's released? I's a Fate kickstarter, I doubt they're going to be hurting for funding.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2052977442/rumbleslam?ref=nav_search
Rumbleslam has less than 6 hours left and is funded! I dunno, personally it seems like one of those kickstarters that I will regret not backing. Pythong.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1273312680/war-is-coming-shieldmaidens-vs-orcs/description
Shieldmaidens versus orcs. Generic if well made models for cheap. HIPs is a big plus.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Can someone give a rundown on the Scarred Lands? The premise seems interesting but what was it good at? It just doesn't seem that different from other settings other than being somewhat post apocalyptic.

I think it's strong point was that it was the first mass market FRPG to explore the fantasy design space. There were others that did it better and earlier but it was published by White Wolf back when they were still outselling DnD most months so it had better exposure. A lot of it just feels like a home-brew setting with all the inherent charm and drawbacks. There was a city of necromancers whose main focus was exploring the mysteries of death. They were also one of the safest and most comfortable cities left, you just had to sign an agreement that after death your body would be donated to the city so that zombified remains could be put to use defending or maintaining those luxuries.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I would be all over that shieldmaiden KS if they hadn't given them belly shirts. poo poo makes those models look dumb as gently caress. Like either go full almost naked barbarian babe or real armor, this just looks lazy.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

There is a middle piece that has leather underarmor instead of the exposed belly, but I have no idea if there is enough of those to cover a whole unit.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I would be all over that shieldmaiden KS if they hadn't given them belly shirts. poo poo makes those models look dumb as gently caress. Like either go full almost naked barbarian babe or real armor, this just looks lazy.

Yeah pretty much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
I'm intrigued by this kickstarter, https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/338597945/fleet-commander-genesis?ref=category, a big box of spaceships, tiles and dice. I'm thinking maybe I could use it as a gateway drug to get some board-games-but-not-war-games friends into SW Armada too.

But they've not done a kickstarter before and I've never played the existing Fleet Commander so not sure.

• Locked thread